Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bolt on power enhancements
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 7 2006, 11:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 7 2006, 11:24 PM) *

Yup. I believe all 4 cylander cars should be boosted.

I also belive all cars period should be boosted... Much better fuel economy and performance.. (no need for gas guzzling v8's in sports cars and the like)

Someone give me a turbo, a car, and 2k for parts and labor and they'll be running 4psi.(I would say 1k... but I dont want people to take me up on the offer... LOL)

Andrew

The problem is that People throwing on turbo kits for cheap will be tempted to push a lot of boost.. and many people would be substituting a turbo for a bottom end build up.. I remember Jake saying something about the rings doing crazy things at 7psi.

IF the turbo kit were to produce more hp it would have to be a complete system, Like Jakes setup he had going...

Andrew

for $2K, I'd want more than 25hp for my car...if you are going to turbo, go for some "real" numbers that'll move the car along....(180hp +)

i'd be embarrased to say I had a Turbo 914 and it barely put out 130 to 140 HP driving-girl.gif ...might as well have stock turbo Colt.... biggrin.gif

Sammy
content removed
TonyAKAVW
The expense and work involved in properly turbocharging a Type IV probably compares well with doing a WRX conversion. I'm guessing thats why there isn't a ton of interest in a proper turbo kit. Not to mention that its not hard to get 300 RWHP from a WRX motor in a 914. I suspect that getting the same power from a Type IV would be either waaaay more epensive or much less reliable.

-Tony
grantsfo
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Nov 8 2006, 04:03 PM) *

The expense and work involved in properly turbocharging a Type IV probably compares well with doing a WRX conversion. I'm guessing thats why there isn't a ton of interest in a proper turbo kit. Not to mention that its not hard to get 300 RWHP from a WRX motor in a 914. I suspect that getting the same power from a Type IV would be either waaaay more epensive or much less reliable.

-Tony

I was a Subaru conversion doubter until I saw a nice Renegade turnkey job. Wow 250+ horsepower and the install looks like stock. Anyone wanting a 250+ HP car with modern day reliability needs to take a look at this as an option.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 6 2006, 10:17 PM) *

You can't turbo a type 4 wink.gif

Yeppir! Sure can!
See Excellence, June 2002.
jd74914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 8 2006, 10:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 6 2006, 10:17 PM) *

You can't turbo a type 4 wink.gif

Yeppir! Sure can!
See Excellence, June 2002.

But of course . . . 'tis a joke smile.gif
Pat Garvey
917 flat 12?

Yeah, could have chosen the 16, but that would be overboard!
Sammy
content removed
nein14
6 years and still running perfect! 2.0 4cyl. Bosch CIS KKK 26 turbo. 9lbs. of boost on the street 200 HP, 14lbs. on 100 octane race fuel on the track driving.gif
Chris Pincetich
There's a KKK 26 turbo on eBay right now for about $25 idea.gif
jwalters
QUOTE(nein14 @ Nov 9 2006, 04:56 PM) *

6 years and still running perfect! 2.0 4cyl. Bosch CIS KKK 26 turbo. 9lbs. of boost on the street 200 HP, 14lbs. on 100 octane race fuel on the track driving.gif

Hey, what head temps do you get??
jwalters
dry.gif Boy, over 1100 views and only 86 votes ,

No wonder this country is in the pits - - dead horse.gif
ChrisFoley
Turbos are great for big hp gains but if you are competing in AX or time trials a turbo is going to bump you up to a higher level of competition. Not only that, adding a turbo isn't currently available as a bolt on since there are no complete kits available. A good deal of fabrication, including welding is required.
Engine conversions take too long and usually involve too much fabrication to be considered bolt-on IMO.
Tires are not a power enhancement. They only increase cornering potential, not acceleration.
Driving lessons are not a power enhancement, only a driving aid.
In reality there is only one choice for the most effective 914 bolt on power enhancement, and the poll supports this. The only other way to make much more power with a N/A engine is to split the case and put in a new camshaft along with everything else that entails.
Oh, and the upgraded exhaust system is a big plus if you do install a fatter cam. happy11.gif
nein14
head temp stay between 325 and 350, oil 180 to 200 degrees
race914
I bolted on some 'Tornados' and kicked ass on local outlaw yugo gangs

IPB Image
p914
dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif
Let's see. A simple bolt on power enhancement would be a bigger engine!! chairfall.gif chairfall.gif chairfall.gif
Unbolt the old one and bolt on a bigger one. jsharp.gif
maf914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 8 2006, 07:38 PM) *

917 flat 12?

Yeah, could have chosen the 16, but that would be overboard!

For the 917/10 Can Am car, Porsche decided that the way to go was to turbo the flat 12 and discontinue developement of the flat 16 cylinder engine. They then applied this experience with turbocharging to various 6 cylinder based racing cars.
maf914
QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 9 2006, 07:58 AM) *

Technically the 917 engine was not a flat 12, it was a 180 degree V12
I know, picking nits again.

Sammy, Could you please explain why you make this distinction? Just curious. idea.gif
Sammy
content removed
Sammy
content removed
messix
a 'V ' designation for an engine configuration implies that the engine has its cylinders set in a "V" angle opposed to each other.

a flat or horizontally opposed engine implies that the cylinders are split and opposed from each other.

these desiganations have nothing to do with shared rod journals or the number of main journals.
messix
QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 17 2006, 10:04 AM) *

From Wikipedia,

A flat-12 is an internal combustion engine in a flat configuration, having 12 cylinders.

The flat-12 engines are generally not true horizontally opposed engines (boxer), but rather 180° V-engines. A true boxer has one crank pin per piston, while in the 180° V-engine two pistons share the same crank pin. With twelve cylinders both layouts are perfectly balanced.

WTF.gif bs.gif
Flat 12 engine
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Flat 12, or "Boxer 12" as it is sometimes called, is an internal-combustion engine which employs twelve cylinders aligned in a horizontal fashion. This engine is similar to the more common V12 engine, except for the fact that the twelve cylinders are aligned horizontally so that the engine is for the most part "flat", hence the name
Sammy
content removed
Mueller

From Wikipedia,

A flat-12 is an internal combustion engine in a flat configuration, having 12 cylinders.

The flat-12 engines are generally not true horizontally opposed engines (boxer), but rather 180° V-engines. A true boxer has one crank pin per piston, while in the 180° V-engine two pistons share the same crank pin. With twelve cylinders both layouts are perfectly balanced.

Sammy is correct as per the Airframe & Powerplant Mechanics Powerplant Handbook, page 11. biggrin.gif

Printed by the US Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Adminsitration
jwalters
Has anybody seen the article of the dude that took two kawasaki six cylinder blocks ( upper case halves) and made a new crankcase and had falicon make a new crankshaft to become a V-12 motorcyle engine??

2600 cc's of 14000 rpm fury!! Somewhere on the order of 300 HP, normally aspirated -

idea.gif

Imagine THAT engine with a stout enough crank mated in a teener chassis...

Talk about bragging rights!
JPB
I think the cheapest way is to install a 911 250MPH speedo meter and just tell everyone its a screamer and that you drive the speed limit because you are a good citizen.

beer.gif You want real hps? Bolt on a V8 or a suby 2.5 WRX STI.
messix
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 17 2006, 12:09 PM) *

From Wikipedia,

Sammy is correct as per the Airframe & Powerplant Mechanics Powerplant Handbook, page 11. biggrin.gif

Printed by the US Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Adminsitration

who would call a engine that has not have its cylinders at an angle of 180 degrees a "V" engine? maybe i missed that day in geometry where when two points 180 degrees from each other intersect at a common point between them on the same plane can be called a "v" tangent.

as for the engine configuration an engine that fires at 180 degress would only fire a power stroke at 0 and 180 degrees[6 cyl. at a time]. is this what they are saying? or does it fire every 60 deg. [2 cyl at a time]? or 30 deg. 1 cyl. at a time?
if your talking about how the crank is cofigured a share rod journal as opposed to non- shared doesn't matter, it would just make the case length longer. the firing order and timing do not make an engine that has its cylinders 180 deg. to the crank shaft a "v " engine.

i'd like to see that A&P section scanned.

no wonder ariplanes fall out of the sky.
eeyore
QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 17 2006, 11:04 AM) *

The problem with this definition is that it implies that 'V' configuration and '1 crankpin for each pair of cylinders' are synonymous, and this isn't the case. "Two cylinder, V shaped engines with separate crank pins for each cylinder are more properly called "V-2" engines, however, proper identification of V-2 engines is uncommon."
messix
QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 17 2006, 11:50 AM) *

Sigh, it's on the web so it must be true.

i wonder how you and i both quoted the same source with different definitions.
Mueller
I'll have to see if I can find my notes from school where we discussed this issue with the boxer verses "V"...it has to do with the "throws" and shared journals....it really depends on the crankshaft, so you yes, you can have a true 180° flat 12 and you can have a 180° flat "V" 12...the former crank design is not as common

and it was not discussed in geom. it was the Powerplant/Engine class....

PinetreePorsche
QUOTE(nein14 @ Nov 9 2006, 01:56 PM) *

A lot of faiarly cheap power and a few good years--just what most of us want. So can you draft out the whole conversion you did for us to follow? What fuel feed source--EFI or carbs? Who's ? What was approx total cost (starting w/a good motor)? Some of us would love to experiment a bit if we had good guidelines (and temp. monitoring at the cylinder head). -Chris H.
jd74914
QUOTE(PinetreePorsche @ Nov 24 2006, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(nein14 @ Nov 9 2006, 01:56 PM) *

A lot of faiarly cheap power and a few good years--just what most of us want. So can you draft out the whole conversion you did for us to follow? What fuel feed source--EFI or carbs? Who's ? What was approx total cost (starting w/a good motor)? Some of us would love to experiment a bit if we had good guidelines (and temp. monitoring at the cylinder head). -Chris H.

Chris,

CIS is MFI. It was used in rabbits and 2.7L /6 engines. I don't know how he did his his conversion, but many people in the watercooled world have done CIS turbos (though they usually use the later version of CIS as found in MkII IIRC, golf/rabbits).
Drums66
1. decent muff system
2. periodic maintenance
3. electronic ignition
4. Tires

shades.gif popcorn[1].gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 27 2006, 03:43 PM) *

CIS is MFI. It was used in rabbits and 2.7L /6 engines. I don't know how he did his his conversion, but many people in the watercooled world have done CIS turbos (though they usually use the later version of CIS as found in MkII IIRC, golf/rabbits).

CIS & MFI are entirely different animals.

Years back, Wayne Baker used a BMW (2002 IIRC) MFI set up on his IMSA 914 4 banger race car. He was very successful.
jd74914
Yep, I mis-typed. CIS is a mechanical fuel injection system since the pump is the only thing that needs to be electrically powered, but not MFI like found on old bimmers and long hood 911E/S's.
bandjoey
If the truth is told...lots of 914 owners <from my point of view -and yes Elvis and Michael Jackson are DEAD> look at the $400 bolt limit as what we can spend and hide the receipts from the better half! av-943.gif Bill
moparrob
my favorite bolt on is Chappy's engine biggrin.gif
rohar
QUOTE(PinetreePorsche @ Nov 24 2006, 01:40 PM) *

<!-- quoteo(post=812905:date=Nov 9 2006, 01:56 PM:name=nein14) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nein14 @ Nov 9 2006, 01:56 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->
<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

CIS is a great simple system and adapts to boost easily. Add a boost sensitive WUR from a Volvo or Audi turbo and the fuel system is taken care of. In the early days of boosting rabbit motors, a LOT of us did it. You would still need to deal with remapping the spark advance curve, not sure how to do that with the stock parts available for the type IV, so you'd probably end up with aftermarket ignition.

After about 3 years of a bunch of us mucking about, we found the limits of CIS pretty quick. It's simple to get installed and started, but it gets complicated to tune. Because of that, a LOT of us went to Digifant I injection sourced from G60s. Cheep, easy and more than capable. I'll bet it'd even adapt to a TypeIV pretty easily.

The result of all those mistakes was eventually summed up into a single doc: http://www.not2fast.com/vw/stuff/easy200.html

You'll find the same doc all over the 'net
Chris Pincetich
if I could vote again after driving my 914 for 4+ years, I would still vote for "complete exhaust" beerchug.gif
SirAndy
Who keeps digging up these old threads? idea.gif
patssle
n/m delete
Ductech
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 7 2006, 12:11 PM) *

My kit wasn't just a Turbo kit, it was also an EFI kit with direct ignition AND included my DTM for the 914. It literally was every part from the intake to the exhaust pipe, all you needed was a longblock.. The best part is that every part was designed to work with the rest of the components and install in one weekend.

That was about 5,500 bucks including a brand new Turbo...
BUT cheap bastards pissed me off- that happens..

Wow with a DTM and an ecu setup to control it that is really not to spendy considering the engineering costs to develop a kit that works well and doesn't detract from the original setup. I hate to hear that the teener's didn't just jump all over that. And I am sure you picked just the right turbo, so it spools nice and quickly.

Tis a shame.... Raby if i had a TIV and some money I would be buying a kit from you.... hell i wish i had a type 4 so i could run that sick cable pull linkage setup you made for independent carbs or throttle bodies.

Keep up the good fight Raby
Series9
This is the best one:
get off my lawn
There aint nothing, and I mean nothing like the feeling you get when the intake manifold pressure goes positive.

dflesburg
there is no replacement for displacement.

iamchappy
Solid Rocket Boosters but hard to control..

Next best thing ..... My engine....Ha
iamchappy
Some of the Red Heads featured in the Hot Chicks Thread......Ha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.