Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bolt on power enhancements
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jwalters
Please, as many people as possible respond to this poll - it WILL affect future availability of bolt-on performance additions!!

Thank you!

PS If you are concerned about anonymity, do not be, voting does not identify you, only typed replies do -

So please, almost 100 views and only a scant handful of votes?!?

Even if you already have your dream equipment do not hold back and vote as if you were once again at the starting grid!!

THANKS!!
jsteele22

Subaru EG33 flat six.

Heeltoe914
What motor and setup do you have now?
jwalters
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 6 2006, 06:15 PM) *

Exhaust (headpipes) [ 0 ] [0.00%]

You already have the choice of 4 different headers, with the number 1 being the Tangerine Racing headers, the bottom of the list is the Kerry Hunter at about $400 or so...you'd have to have them way cheaper and as good or better than the KH units to sell any

Exhaust (muffler) [ 0 ] [0.00%]

already a few choices, none have been dyno'd back to back to see who the winner is unless I've never seen it...

complete exhaust [ 1 ] [25.00%]

see Tangerine for this, costly, yet proven

new design cooling fan [ 0 ] [0.00%]

the DTM works, and I believe BrianM is working on some design ideas

electrical engine cooling in addition to stock [ 0 ] [0.00%]

if your cooling system is already taxed to the limit, I wouldn't want to have to rely on something electrical that could fail and take the engine with it..

Tuned intake plenums [ 0 ] [0.00%]

so you have thousands of dollars for dyno time?? might need to have a new exhaust to compliment the intake

tuned intake assemblies (complete replacement) [ 0 ] [0.00%]

see above about the tuned intake...

Turbo charger system for fuel injection [ 2 ] [50.00%]

I'm building one for myself as we speak..well sorta, I started and just have to finish the intake side of things, exhaust is complete...

Turbo charger system for carburetion [ 1 ]

while carbs do work with turbos, why stay stuck in the dark ages???

huh.gif UMMM, OK --- May I ask your reason to go through all of the trouble to explain your each and every position for a poll??
Mueller
QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 6 2006, 03:20 PM) *

huh.gif UMMM, OK --- May I ask your reason to go through all of the trouble to explain your each and every position for a poll??

so much for some freindly advice/feedback.........
Matt Meyer

Seems like a funny question for someone with over 1000 posts. wink.gif

I thought Muller was exceptionally brief. Good thing I'm not done typing my post. laugh.gif

And Jake hasn't even voted yet.
jwalters
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 6 2006, 06:29 PM) *

QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 6 2006, 03:20 PM) *

so much for some freindly advice/feedback.........

Easy Mike, I meant no ill will with that question - this is a poll and as such all polls must be unbiased so as to aquire true results. Actually I typed an apology about 15 minutes ago and then was kicked off the board and only just now got back on, just so you know. As you made mention there are a few items being manufactured. However these are not the end all of developement, and as such this question and this poll is of great use to myself and is truly worthwhile of exploring.
Eric_Shea
Tires.
jwalters
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 6 2006, 07:25 PM) *

Tires.

laugh.gif

Hey Eric, if I sent you 4 rear and 2 front calipers - AND two sets of rear arms (excellent shape) would that get me a set of 5 lug front rotors and a five lug conversion rear with rotors???????
nebreitling
actually, i think the 914 aftermarket is actually pretty good. for those bolt-on mods that would actually result in reliable performance gains, we already have numerous options.

the only thing i can really think of that is lacking is 15x7 lightweight 4-bolt wheels.
jwalters
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Nov 6 2006, 08:05 PM) *

actually, i think the 914 aftermarket is actually pretty good. for those bolt-on mods that would actually result in reliable performance gains, we already have numerous options.

the only thing i can really think of that is lacking is 15x7 lightweight 4-bolt wheels.

KONIG -----
nebreitling
for less than $800/set
Sammy
content removed
grantsfo
Headers and freeflowing muffler are easiest and best bang for the buck bolt on improvements in my opinion. Then the bolt off options should be considered. biggrin.gif
jwalters
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Nov 6 2006, 08:12 PM) *

for less than $800/set

Tire Rack ----
SirAndy
QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 6 2006, 02:53 PM) *

If you are concerned about anonymity, do not be, voting does not identify you, only typed replies do -

av-943.gif

how old are you? 19? idea.gif

anyways, i haven't voted because you don't have any "Kompressor" listed.
that would be my first choice of forced induction over any turbo system ...
burnout.gif Andy
jwalters
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 6 2006, 08:44 PM) *

QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 6 2006, 02:53 PM) *

If you are concerned about anonymity, do not be, voting does not identify you, only typed replies do -

av-943.gif

how old are you? 19? idea.gif

"Kompressor"

burnout.gif Andy

WTF.gif
Jake Raby
You already have the choice of 4 different headers, with the number 1 being the Tangerine Racing headers, the bottom of the list is the Kerry Hunter at about $400 or so...you'd have to have them way cheaper and as good or better than the KH units to sell any

Several more in development now... Chris from Tangerine and myself are working to bring more options to all the Type 4 applications that are more cost effective, and truly developed- this includes the 914... Chris is taking it seriously and I look forward to the development work-

The 914 following has already proven that they are not willing to buy a developed 914 Turbo system. The one I created is in the attic collecting rust because of open ended promises from guys with bigger mouths than wallets... Sorry, but its the truth..The sad part is that mine REALLY worked very, very well and made over 170HP on a 100% bone stock 2.0 with 80K miles on it!

914forme
SuperCharger = "Kompressor"

But I did not vote because the bolt on for me would be a -6, it is a true built on ahh in. confused24.gif

But then about anything will bolt in there, my dad has a bitchin' set of tools we can fix it!
SirAndy
QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 6 2006, 05:53 PM) *

"Kompressor"

burnout.gif Andy

WTF.gif

geee, ever heard of a "Mecedes Benz" ??? rolleyes.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Be...050104780QQrdZ1

and yes, you call it a super charger. still missing from your poll-choices ...
burnout.gif Andy
jwalters
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 6 2006, 09:30 PM) *

QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 6 2006, 05:53 PM) *

"Kompressor"

burnout.gif Andy

WTF.gif

geee, ever heard of a "Mecedes Benz" ??? rolleyes.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Be...050104780QQrdZ1

and yes, you call it a super charger. still missing from your poll-choices ...
burnout.gif Andy

rolleyes.gif And you tried to infer I am not OBSERVANT ---go figure, think again punker boy on what my response was---------

I await eagerly - popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 6 2006, 06:41 PM) *

rolleyes.gif And you tried to infer I am not OBSERVANT ---go figure, think again punker boy on what my response was---------

I await eagerly - popcorn[1].gif

WTF.gif av-943.gif popcorn[1].gif
Jake Raby
I have built two Supercharged TIV engines. One of them made 300RWHP, the other one disappeared and I don't believe it has ran yet!!

I have plans for a Supercharger kit for a TIV engine, but haven't worked on it since 2001
nbscooters
Are you talking about a stock type IV motor or any motor in general? Depending on what type of motor you have, it all depends on what can be bolted on for a performance gain.

Although I voted for adding a turbocharger for FI because I would believe you could gain the most power than any of the other options, I still believe that it would be a waste of time and money to go that route. You would need some sort of variable pressure fuel pump, ecu that will handle boost, intercooler for the turbo, oil cooler, and some sort of sensor that determines how much fuel to inject under boost.

In America we call it a supercharger or blower, when its on a Mercedes, they call it a Kompressor.
914nerd
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 6 2006, 06:58 PM) *

The 914 following has already proven that they are not willing to buy a developed 914 Turbo system. The one I created is in the attic collecting rust because of open ended promises from guys with bigger mouths than wallets... Sorry, but its the truth..The sad part is that mine REALLY worked very, very well and made over 170HP on a 100% bone stock 2.0 with 80K miles on it!

Sorry in advance about the hijack
Jake, how much $$$ are we talking here for a turbo setup?
Just out of curiosity (due to the fact that I may wind up setting something up to this effect at some point)
Thanks,
Charles

Again, sorry for the hijacked.gif
Andyrew
Charles, if you have to ask..

If jake doesnt post his price. I remember about 6k.. was what he was talking about.. But its his design, and he probably wont sell it any time soon.

Scooters...

Run 5psi, no intercooler needed. Megasquirt is $300 with a closed loop system (pick your a/f ratio per spectrum, and it automatically adjusts.. BOO YA!) Turbo from junkyard, you'll need to do serious research. or buy a new one for 600. Wastegate, BOV, boost controler,wideband o2 sensor, map sensor, TPS(optional), Temp sensors, and a little tuning ability, welding, bigger fuel pump and bigger injectors (maybe..) to handle the added air, and tap in an oil line and your done.

Its not THAT big of a deal... You just cant run a lot of boost. Jake has posted some of the reasons.. (do a search.) You can build it for cheap as dirt(few have built them for less than 400), to rich mans gold (talk to jake about that one)

balljoint
Complete exhaust, with heat.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 6 2006, 06:25 PM) *

Tires.

Damn it Eric beat me to it.
Then Porterfield pads.

Driving school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tangerine
Mallory ignition

Massive power.
McMark
Uh, oh, this has become the turbo debate thread. I better go bump "6 vs 4". tongue.gif
Jake Raby
My kit wasn't just a Turbo kit, it was also an EFI kit with direct ignition AND included my DTM for the 914. It literally was every part from the intake to the exhaust pipe, all you needed was a longblock.. The best part is that every part was designed to work with the rest of the components and install in one weekend.

That was about 5,500 bucks including a brand new Turbo...
BUT cheap bastards pissed me off- that happens..
Brett W
Boost is the way to go for a street motor. Unfortunately the T4 is not a good candidate for it.
Jake Raby
With some intervention and enhancements it can be done effectively.. If you cut corners or don't take it seriously and it'll kill the engine fast..
Solo914
QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 6 2006, 05:07 PM) *

KONIG -----

Sorry for the Highjack,

Can you enlighten me further? I have done some serious research and I didn't know Konig made a wheel with a large enough mounting face to be able fit a 4x130 bolt pattern. Which wheel?
jwalters
QUOTE(Solo914 @ Nov 7 2006, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 6 2006, 05:07 PM) *

KONIG -----

Sorry for the Highjack,

Can you enlighten me further? I have done some serious research and I didn't know Konig made a wheel with a large enough mounting face to be able fit a 4x130 bolt pattern. Which wheel?

Yea, it mimicks the VW auto's bolt pattern for many years - I see them on quite a few pre-79 bugs - As you know, the Type-1 is disappearing also - they may not actively advertise these wheels anymore because of this fact. Call them, I am sure they have plenty which have not had the mounting holes drilled yet, and can hook you up....
Mueller
QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 7 2006, 12:13 PM) *

Yea, it mimicks the VW auto's bolt pattern for many years - I see them on quite a few pre-79 bugs - As you know, the Type-1 is disappearing also - they may not actively advertise these wheels anymore because of this fact. Call them, I am sure they have plenty which have not had the mounting holes drilled yet, and can hook you up....

....the only Konig wheel I've ever seen on a 914 was on my car....and that was due to me re-drilling for a 4x100 bolt pattern...
jwalters
biggrin.gif Five mouse clicks and there I was ---

http://www.konigwheels.com/catalog_product...1&ss_id=143
Solo914
QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 7 2006, 12:31 PM) *

yep,
Found those before. So, they come in 2 different offsets and each version has a different size mounting pad.

15x7, 0 offset wheel, 4x1.114.3(big mounting pad)= Wrong offset but the correctly sized mounting pad/hub size

15x7, 40 offset wheel, 4x100(small mounting pad)= Correct offset but the wrong sized mounting pad/hub size

I am still looking into seeing if they can manufacture the 15x7, 40 offset wheel in the larger mounting pad, we will see.

Kyle
jwalters
QUOTE(Solo914 @ Nov 7 2006, 04:06 PM) *

QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 7 2006, 12:31 PM) *

yep,
Found those before. So, they come in 2 different offsets and each version has a different size mounting pad.

15x7, 0 offset wheel, 4x1.114.3(big mounting pad)= Wrong offset but the correctly sized mounting pad/hub size

15x7, 40 offset wheel, 4x100(small mounting pad)= Correct offset but the wrong sized mounting pad/hub size

I am still looking into seeing if they can manufacture the 15x7, 40 offset wheel in the larger mounting pad, we will see.

Kyle

Yes, they can - more importantly, they have a "classic" line which only people in the know, know about. It HAS been awhile, but in all of my hot vdubs and vw trends mags there were always vw parts houses which sold correct bolt pattern Konig's with myriad backspacing. Would not be surprised if many of them still had stock on hand>>>>>>>>
Crazyhippy
Driving school...

Easiest way to go faster. (note the period)

BJH
Sammy
content removed
Jake Raby
Yep and his system didn't even incorporate cooling or EFI....
I threw away about 8K bucks in time on the 914 Turbo kit, but I tossed it and took the write off and called it done..

Lesson learned.
jwalters
So Jake, you did not have ANY biters on your kits???
Jake Raby
Yeah a couple.. But not nearly enough to warrant any sort of production.
Brett W
I don't understand what the problem with 914 owners are. There are 18-21 year old kids that are turbocharging their Hondas from junkyard parts. Yes they already have water cooling and nice fuel injection, but that can be taken into the equation. It is not that hard, but you will learn a thing or two the hard way if you are not careful.

There are enough T4s in this world that blowing a few to smithereens will not cause a problem. If you want to go fast with a T4, put a turbo on it and learn the lessons the rest of us have learned.

check out www.homemadeturbo.com, yeah I know some of the stuff they do is hacked together. If you take your time and hunt for good parts you can do it without hacking.
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/turbo_projects/
Mueller
QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 7 2006, 10:26 PM) *

I don't understand what the problem with 914 owners are. There are 18-21 year old kids that are turbocharging their Hondas from junkyard parts. Yes they already have water cooling and nice fuel injection, but that can be taken into the equation. It is not that hard, but you will learn a thing or two the hard way if you are not careful.

There are enough T4s in this world that blowing a few to smithereens will not cause a problem. If you want to go fast with a T4, put a turbo on it and learn the lessons the rest of us have learned.

check out www.homemadeturbo.com, yeah I know some of the stuff they do is hacked together. If you take your time and hunt for good parts you can do it without hacking.
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/turbo_projects/

914 turbos "have" been done...there are a handful around...the reason you don't see a bunch of them is that it's easier for many to do an engine conversion...for a /6 or even V6/V8 conversion 99% of all the parts needed can be bought...not so with a homemade turbo for a 914...only the talanted or stubborn will go thru the trouble of making a turbo 914.....as well as Jakes kit might be, if I had $5500 laying around just for the kit (and knowing that I don't have a decent long block to use it on) , I'd find a way to scrounge up a few more grand a do a mid-to-big /6 conversion...

the Honda turbos are very well documented, tons of support, much cheaper and easier to access parts and they don't have as many engine options as the 914 guys do....

also, in at least our PCA region (auto-x and DE), even adding a 2psi boost capable system to a dead and dying 1.7 would throw you right in the same class as mega dollar 911s that spend $30K just on the engine....point based system as of last year so the "penalities" of a boosted engine in a 914 not as bad....

Andyrew
Yup. I believe all 4 cylander cars should be boosted.

I also belive all cars period should be boosted... Much better fuel economy and performance.. (no need for gas guzzling v8's in sports cars and the like)

Someone give me a turbo, a car, and 2k for parts and labor and they'll be running 4psi.(I would say 1k... but I dont want people to take me up on the offer... LOL)

Andrew
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 7 2006, 11:24 PM) *

Yup. I believe all 4 cylander cars should be boosted.

I also belive all cars period should be boosted... Much better fuel economy and performance.. (no need for gas guzzling v8's in sports cars and the like)

Someone give me a turbo, a car, and 2k for parts and labor and they'll be running 4psi.(I would say 1k... but I dont want people to take me up on the offer... LOL)

Andrew

for $2K, I'd want more than 25hp for my car...if you are going to turbo, go for some "real" numbers that'll move the car along....(180hp +)

i'd be embarrased to say I had a Turbo 914 and it barely put out 130 to 140 HP driving-girl.gif ...might as well have stock turbo Colt.... biggrin.gif

Brett W
That's the thing, if we had more people out building turbo engines and blowing them up or making good power, you would have a similar level of knowledge for others to build upon.

Now I have to agree for 5K I would start looking at other engines, but a turbocharged 4 should make a decent 180-200hp. It will not be a setup you can sit on the highway and run 150+ for hours on end. It would be something you have to use with control. To bad the T4 isn't as strong as other engines.

Look at the Type 1 engines, there are many options out their for turbo charging. Those guys are making decent power with boosted engines.
jwalters
QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 8 2006, 11:18 AM) *

That's the thing, if we had more people out building turbo engines and blowing them up or making good power, you would have a similar level of knowledge for others to build upon.

Now I have to agree for 5K I would start looking at other engines, but a turbocharged 4 should make a decent 180-200hp. It will not be a setup you can sit on the highway and run 150+ for hours on end. It would be something you have to use with control. To bad the T4 isn't as strong as other engines.

Look at the Type 1 engines, there are many options out their for turbo charging. Those guys are making decent power with boosted engines.

Good thought - to add, the advances made by bringing out all aluminum alloy cases has all but cured the most vulnerable weakness of T1 engines. Yes, they are heavier, but are no longer as brittle or flex-prone. Many T1 guys get enormous power (N/A & Turbo) with fairly good longevity.
Jake Raby

The tally here at Aircooled Heaven stands at four engines killed purposely in 2006 with Boost...

when I start releasing information from these learnings as well as some components a lot of things will change. (again)

Yes, they are heavier, but are no longer as brittle or flex-prone. Many T1 guys get enormous power (N/A & Turbo) with fairly good longevity.

In a car 3-500 pounds lighter than a 914 and all they care about is the Qtr mile... Boost for longer periods of time with more load on the engine is where things get critical.

development with Boosted TIVs will continue clear through 2007 here, I put aside a new cooling system that I have planed for the past 3 years to create in 2007 to give the time to boost..

I have a customer on the hook who is begging for a his project car to be equipped with a 2.7L, twin plugged,m roller cammed, Motec injected, Intercooled Turbo beast... He is willing to be the guinea pig...

But its not a 914 :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.