Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/4 to 914/6 by Volker (WOW that is a fast car)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
J P Stein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 10 2006, 11:30 AM) *

late upper cylinder air deflector with early uncut cylinder baffles,
interesting..........

....and iron cylinders.
SLITS
And no "Carrera" tensioner upgrade

Is the dizzy wrong for an "S" (has vac advance)?
Trekkor
"but... our's go to eleven". biggrin.gif

When will it be installed?

KT
Cruzing
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 10 2006, 01:55 PM) *

"but... our's go to eleven". biggrin.gif

When will it be installed?

KT

As soon as JOHNMAN gives me the front motor mounts, all I am missing now is the headers, which I tried to contact http://www.msdsinc.com/ w/ no response back yet... soooon..smile.gif I hope..
eeyore
interesting..........
....and iron cylinders.

This, and the mystery IROC blocks, and a rumor of a 911 with a factory LSD going into Volkers for just basic maintenance and coming out with open diff somehow has echoes of PT Barnum.

I know you're excited about the motor, but slow down some. Volker has a less-than-pristine reputation in some SD Porshce circles. Maybe the competition is just jealous.
Cruzing
QUOTE(Cloudbuster @ Nov 10 2006, 08:30 PM) *

interesting..........
....and iron cylinders.

This, and the mystery IROC blocks, and a rumor of a 911 with a factory LSD going into Volkers for just basic maintenance and coming out with open diff somehow has echoes of PT Barnum.

I know you're excited about the motor, but slow down some. Volker has a less-than-pristine reputation in some SD Porshce circles. Maybe the competition is just jealous.

your comments on the motor and Volkers reputation in circles, I know very little about, I am a novice, getting my 914/6 on the road, SOON I hope...smile.gif and for a reasonable fee, is all I really care about.

I was simply sharing what Volker has said to me in the short time that I have met with him... he did not want any internet exposure and thinks it is a waiste of time, but while I was there today getting pic's of motor he asked if I would post his VW here and did so, as a favor for him.... and he still commented that is a waiste of time,,anyway.

His IROC BLK was a intreging story I simply wanted to share and get feed back on... I never heard of such a thing, I relayed info as it occured..

Hi, I am new here trying to build a poormans convertion, nice ta meet ya all... smile.gif
cbenitah
I am no person to speak bad about anyone, but I have used Volker for both my old bug and my 914. The price I paied there is not close to what anyone should pay. For my two cars I've had there I could have owned a boxster by now.. Just my .02 from Santee...
Cruzing
QUOTE(cbenitah @ Nov 10 2006, 10:25 PM) *

I am no person to speak bad about anyone, but I have used Volker for both my old bug and my 914. The price I paied there is not close to what anyone should pay. For my two cars I've had there I could have owned a boxster by now.. Just my .02 from Santee...

My deal with him is $8,000 install price, he is also rewiring it now too. I hand him headers, oil tank, front mount, tin and I am done..
I am OK with that at this point, I will let ya know how it all turns out, I will be taking pic's as the work occures,,..smile.gif

TROJANMAN
$8000 sounds fair, but i am still waiting to hear back from brad about the $4k conversion he can do for me.
cbenitah
Think Brad meant the 3.0 engine only there mr biggrin.gif
Rusty
QUOTE(Cruzing @ Nov 9 2006, 04:22 AM) *

<snip>

hoses:...... av-943.gif aftermarket and Braided stainless

front motor mount:Maddog copy of Rich Johnson mount ... on eBay...$275 - $$350
searching

Ignition wiring harness:make your own and use the /4 relay board
searching

This bothers me somewhat. Someone is ripping off Rich Johnson? Nice. dry.gif

Call the source (Rich Johnson) and don't look back. His stuff is bulletproof, and the prices are reasonable. I got my oil line set from him and I know he stocks (or will fab for you) lots of the little accelerator linkage parts.
Kerrys914
welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif agree.gif RJ's parts are some of the best out there. You really can't go wrong with any of his stuff.

RJ has helped me during my conversion, not with turning a wrench but by picking up the phone and offering is experience free of charge.... This was BEFORE I bought anything from him.

Class act beerchug.gif

I am not sure if someone is copying his products but if someone is PLEASE don't but it from this person. RJ has done alot for the SIX'ers and let’s watch out for him. mad.gif

Best of luck with your six.. driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif welder.gif
Cruzing
QUOTE(Kerrys914 @ Nov 11 2006, 08:46 AM) *

welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif agree.gif RJ's parts are some of the best out there. You really can't go wrong with any of his stuff.

RJ has helped me during my conversion, not with turning a wrench but by picking up the phone and offering is experience free of charge.... This was BEFORE I bought anything from him.

Class act beerchug.gif

I am not sure if someone is copying his products but if someone is PLEASE don't but it from this person. RJ has done alot for the SIX'ers and let’s watch out for him. mad.gif

who's Rich Johnson?
cbenitah
Rich Johnson is one of the most kind people I have met in the 914 crowd. I emailed him in may and he has now made my entire suspension package complete. Excellent service, amazing quality all in all a really good guy to deal with
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Cruzing @ Nov 11 2006, 03:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Kerrys914 @ Nov 11 2006, 08:46 AM) *

Class act beerchug.gif

who's Rich Johnson?

Rich Johnson is a guy who specializes in /6 conversion parts and knowledge. He is the guy that makes the /6 mount that seems is being ripped off on ebay. RJ is deffinetly a great guy and 914 resource. Anyone can contact him out of the blue with questions and he will gladly give you answers and not try to sell you things that you dont need.
Bleyseng
He has been a 914 guy it seems like forever 15+yrs.

His car
Cruzing
Thanks for your recommendations, truely, but I have searched his name and have found no links to him, please provide a link for the dummy that I am, I quess... smile.gif
Aaron Cox
a914guy@aol.com is rich's addy i think
Cruzing
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 13 2006, 12:23 PM) *

just sent email to a914guy@aol.com
will let ya know how it turned out, thank you,, ya guys rock... smile.gif
Volker is waiting for parts to come in to start... smile.gif
Cruzing
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 13 2006, 12:23 PM) *

He did respond tp this email. I will post up later his responses, very helful, very nice and has all the sources... thank you... smile.gif

a914guy@aol.com
Cruzing
Pictures of 2.0 coming out, running on three cylinders again... sad.gif

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Cruzing
RECEIVED, THANK YOU

donated by Grantsfo another very nice member, he is sending "FREE", cost $0.00, thank you WOW.... smile.gif
Cruzing
Received tin from DR EVIL came in today, thank you very much... smile.gif
Cruzing
Zenith Carb Pic's in... smile.gif topic here.. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...t=0#entry823718
Cruzing
Hi
I am back after a busy install, thanks to all for there suport... thank you... smile.gif

Now I am down to electrical 914 fuse box converting it to run my 911 2.2, carb motor with the correct alternator set up..

I saw somewhere a diagram. I have searched and can not find again, I think Doc Evil did it, not sure...??
Can you give me a link to find it again please...
with this done.. I will be driving soon... clap56.gif and be very.. piratenanner.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Cruzing @ Feb 7 2007, 12:57 PM) *

Hi
I am back after a busy install, thanks to all for there suport... thank you... smile.gif

Now I am down to electrical 914 fuse box converting it to run my 911 2.2, carb motor with the correct alternator set up..

I saw somewhere a diagram. I have searched and can not find again, I think Doc Evil did it, not sure...??
Can you give me a link to find it again please...
with this done.. I will be driving soon... clap56.gif and be very.. piratenanner.gif

Are you using the stock 2.2L alt with an external regulator? If so, I can draw you a diagram on how to hook it up.
Cruzing
Built-in regulator.. hope ya hve that one also... smile.gif
Cruzing
Does anybody else have info, I have been gone for awhile, did this forum have a split or something??? help on electrical please... I am ready to drive it.. smile.gif
John
What year alternator/voltage regulator are you using? I can try to look up info if you let me know what to look up.

Is that all the electrical help you need?

Have you figured out power to the coil, gauge wires, etc?

Pics of your project would be great.

Are you trying to use the stock 4-cyl relay panel? What year did your car start out?

Does the engine still have the 12-pin plug for all of it's wiring?
Cruzing
QUOTE(John @ Feb 8 2007, 10:53 AM) *

What year alternator/voltage regulator are you using? I can try to look up info if you let me know what to look up.

Is that all the electrical help you need?

Have you figured out power to the coil, gauge wires, etc?

Pics of your project would be great.

Are you trying to use the stock 4-cyl relay panel? What year did your car start out?

Does the engine still have the 12-pin plug for all of it's wiring?

Sorry for my delay..
1. the electrical I need is how to alter the existing 914/4 engine compartment relay panel to work with the new 6 cyl, motor
2. All the coil wires and plug wires are done, gauge wires not sure. they worked before, does it take a altering of those locations also?
3. The car is a 1974 2.0 4 cyl. stock
5.yes it still has the 12 pin plug, the car ran fine and all the gauges worked at the time of removing the old motor

The new Alternator is from factory with the Regulator built in.
I will provide pic's of what you need, what is it that you want to see.. ?

Thank you for your help with this, with this forums help so far I would have not got to this point.. the car is done except for this last part.. I can't wait to feel the power..

thank you forum... clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif

Larry

if you want to call me and talk.. my San Diego number is 619-339-8439
Volker is helping, but he is very busy to answere all my questions, I can get him on the phone for a bit to answere your more technical questions if needed..
Cruzing
Need help please
michelko
QUOTE(Cruzing @ Feb 14 2007, 06:13 AM) *

Need help please

Hi,
connect the big red wire to the starter (like the external regulated setup) and the small wire from alternator to D+ on Relay board (no matter witch one, because they are connected)

How´s about the fuel pump? already wired? If all in Sstock location you can hook up Pin #III to ground. This should switch the fuel pump on when ignition is on.

smilie_flagge6.gif
Cruzing
accell..cable picks
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image

Cruzing
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image
Cruzing
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image

Thanks to all for getting me to this point, here are the latest pic's before starting and electrical connections.. If you want to know more on using your stock 914 accell cable to hook up to the 911 carbs just ask, some of that info is in pictures above..

Larry
scotty
Check out this thread for wiring: this thread (on this board)

...it still works for me (no magic smoke release ...yet)
scotty
Nice project by the way!
grantsfo
Great work! Your going to love the six!
Cruzing
Thanks to Scotty.. This is what he did, I will go through it, If there is a change to what is shown I will mark it by **** on any alterations I did from what is shown... thank you scotty.. smile.gif

here is scotty's wire guide
===========

914 14-pin..............................................911 14-pin
to relay board.........................................from engine
1-ignition switch (yellow)........................1-ignition switch (yellow)
2-Alt. Light on dash (blue)......................11-alt. (blue)
5-oil warning light (green/red)................9-oil pressure switch (green/white)

914 #7-signal to tachometer (black/purple). I wired it directly to #C on cd ignition
{yellow wire} from crane xr-700....)

914 #8-power for relays (power from fuse #9, signals ignition on, black) I routed
this one to the front trunk where I've put in a relay board and fuse panelfor my
(relocated) fuel pump, fog and driving lights.

911 #3-oil temp sender (green/black) wired to a wire that was separate from the
914 harness (green/black also, I think) that went to the oil temp guage on the
appearance group harness.

911 #4-oil pressure sender (green/red) wired to a new wire I ran to the appearance
group console.

I wired 914 #3 and #4 directly to the reverse light switch, rather than use #5 and #6
on the 911 14-pin connection, since the PO had cut those off. Here are their
colors/fuction:

3-reverse light switch (grey/brown) 5-reverse light switch (green/yellow)
4-reverse light switch (grey/brown) 6-reverse light switch (grey/brwn)

I didn't use pins 9-14 on the 914, since I had an alternator with an internal regulator.
Here's what they do:

9-heater blower switch (green/white)
10-ground for relay board (brown)
11-heater blower (green)
12-power from battery, no fuse (red)
13-fuel pump power (from relay on relay board, black-red)
14-power from battery (red)

I also didn't use the following pins on the 911 14-pin harness:
2 (no wire), 7 (no wire), 8 (no wire), 10-realy to fuel pump, warm up regulator,
aux air valve, thermo valve (red/white), 13-heter blower motor (yellow/black), or
14-B+ on alt. (red)
Cruzing
I hope I can get there, I am close and down too the wires. Thanks grantsfo, maybe we can rally sometime in socal... smile.gif
michelko
Hi there, very nice project. Can´t wait to do this with my car!!

One question!
Have you a connection from the alternator to the starter motor?
The red wire in the pic is not neccesary with an internal regulated alt.
And btw. if this is the charging wire, i think it tooo small to handle the amps!!

smilie_flagge6.gif
Cruzing
I will find out 2/16/07 and respond. thank you...smile.gif

No electrical work done yet, starting tomorrow...
thesey914
michelko, I was thinking exactly the same thing (you must be looking at the same task as me right now) The charging lead needs to go to the battery via the starter.
Unless the charging lead is somehow running under the shroud to the starter out of view
michelko
I noticed a red wire of aprox. same strength connected to the relay board. Thaught it is this one coming from the alt.

smilie_flagge6.gif
Cruzing
the wiring as you see it was just temp, I have not changed over anything yet, the relay board connection is wrong, the gauge is right. good catch guys.. smile.gif
will post up my finds later today...
Cruzing
Well, thanks to this forums help... smile.gif My car almost started today, Time ran out and it looks like tomorrow is the official startup and test drive.. smile.gif smile.gif

Thanks to all who have helped me and what a awsume forum, to all you newbies out there. if you are reading this post and have a project, you are in the right place..

thank you

larry
Cruzing
I am not sure if you guys caught this? I used my stock 914 accelerator cable costing me $5.00 to get it done & my free labor. 100% adjustable linkage and works smooth..

IPB Image IPB Image

Cruzing
My Bill is now paid off, the car is ready today for my first 914/6 drive....................
YYYEEEAAAHHHHHOOOOOOOOO I be a diving it today

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Cruzing @ Feb 23 2007, 08:23 AM) *

My Bill is now paid off, the car is ready today for my first 914/6 drive....................

Congrats! I think your going to love the change! Do you mind sharing what total cost of the conversion was? ...any more pics?
Cruzing
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Feb 23 2007, 08:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Cruzing @ Feb 23 2007, 08:23 AM) *

Congrats! I think your going to love the change! Do you mind sharing what total cost of the conversion was? ...any more pics?

No problem, I like to share.. smile.gif

Summation:
Motor, muffler, rewiring, synthetic oil, filters, install, all oil hoses & connections came out to be $10,000
plus what I bought off this board.
Headers $350, engine mount $180, tin $115, accel. (Icustom built) linkage $5.00. oil tank donated, but spent $85.00 to boil out and seal

That totals $10.735 as of todays date.
I do not know if that is the cheapest, but I am happy with it. Ohh one more thing
comes with a warranty on the motor.. smile.gif

Larry

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

Thanks for asking, I was meaning to do this......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.