Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCA GGR Point System
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3
grantsfo
I'll plan to go to the GGR events if it isnt to much of a hassel. I'll have to learn T Hill since I have never been to that track. I'll need to rescore my car with new motor and tranny.
DanT
Grant,
just get in line with all the other 914s, learn the line and then you will be waiving bye bye bye1.gif to the rest of us....catch us as you come around to lap us biggrin.gif
I will be anxious to see your car next season Grant....when do you start work on it?
I am going over to BillDs this Saturday AM to help him install his 3.2 twin plugged fire breather in his 914-6 that he is preparing to compete against the smurf for TTOD next season.

it will be great fun to get a bunch of us out there again...

there is a picture from about 8 years ago a TH. ~25+ 914s lined up on the grid at TH. All cars were competing that weekend. everything from stockish 1.7s all the way to semi tubed 3.4L big ass slicks. it was quite a picture...hopefully Greg Braun, race914 will find it one of these days and post it....you would all be very impressed.
Trekkor
The first TT of '07 at Sears in Feb is just around the corner.

Yay!!

KT
DanT
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 30 2006, 10:43 PM) *

The first TT of '07 at Sears in Feb is just around the corner.

Yay!!

KT

Make sure to show up with a set of tires with lots of tread on them dry.gif

last year and the year before there was standing water in several places on the track including the apex of ten. wacko.gif w00t.gif
Trekkor
TH is a fantastic venue.
A great track to learn about the limits of your car dry.gif

Just wait 'til you go through 8, "flat".

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Nov 30 2006, 10:40 PM) *

Grant,
just get in line with all the other 914s, learn the line and then you will be waiving bye bye bye1.gif to the rest of us....catch us as you come around to lap us biggrin.gif
I will be anxious to see your car next season Grant....when do you start work on it?
I am going over to BillDs this Saturday AM to help him install his 3.2 twin plugged fire breather in his 914-6 that he is preparing to compete against the smurf for TTOD next season.

it will be great fun to get a bunch of us out there again...

there is a picture from about 8 years ago a TH. ~25+ 914s lined up on the grid at TH. All cars were competing that weekend. everything from stockish 1.7s all the way to semi tubed 3.4L big ass slicks. it was quite a picture...hopefully Greg Braun, race914 will find it one of these days and post it....you would all be very impressed.

Work starts this weekend. High compression 2.4 S twin plug motor build. MSX tranny is built. Doing some suspension tuning with firmer springs.
Trekkor
lots of tread

I know.

I have the video.
I think this is going to be a dry winter.

KT
Trekkor
As long as we focus on being safe and having fun on track the GGR classes will not really mean much.

KT
DanT
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 30 2006, 11:03 PM) *

As long as we focus on being safe and having fun on track the GGR classes will not really mean much.

KT

exactly.

I would just like to see alot of the folks here on the 914 site that are in Norcal to start to come out and compete/participate.

Be it in AX or TT there are lots of 914s here that need to be driven hard for a change.
There is always lots of talk but very little follow thru confused24.gif

5 TT/DEs 9AXs just from GGR let alone all the other Zone 7 regions that put on events.

Come on folks get out there and meet some other 914 folks and drive that car.
Pancakes are OK but surely the Norcal contingent can drive these little cars too.
OK off my soapbox...I will go back on my meds now. smile.gif
Randal
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 30 2006, 10:54 PM) *

TH is a fantastic venue.

KT

I'd wait until my tires got real warm before trying 8 flat out. Also I'd creep up on it, given your heaver car.

See if you can get John Sidel to be your instructor.
race914
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Nov 30 2006, 11:11 PM) *

QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 30 2006, 11:03 PM) *

KT

exactly.

I would just like to see alot of the folks here on the 914 site that are in Norcal to start to come out and compete/participate.

Be it in AX or TT there are lots of 914s here that need to be driven hard for a change.
There is always lots of talk but very little follow thru confused24.gif

5 TT/DEs 9AXs just from GGR let alone all the other Zone 7 regions that put on events.

Come on folks get out there and meet some other 914 folks and drive that car.
Pancakes are OK but surely the Norcal contingent can drive these little cars too.
OK off my soapbox...I will go back on my meds now. smile.gif

agree.gif

All it means to me is I have to make new class stickers.

It will fun to have more 914s at the events in 07. Tricia and I are looking forward to it!

nebreitling
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 1 2006, 08:38 AM) *

TH is a fantastic venue.

KT

I'd wait until my tires got real warm before trying 8 flat out. Also I'd creep up on it, given your heaver car.

that, and grant's car should be significantly faster then trek's. turn 8 flat out in a sorted, 230 hp car? might be close.
Randal
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Dec 1 2006, 09:22 AM) *

TH is a fantastic venue.

KT

that, and grant's car should be significantly faster then trek's. turn 8 flat out in a sorted, 230 hp car? might be close.

Given the run up from 6 you have lots of time to gain speed before 8. 230HP in a light weight 914 sounds like he’ll be north of a ton, so 8 will keep him honest.

But it sure is fun watching all those 911 drop back 6-8 car lengths as you go through flat out.
DanT

TH is a fantastic venue.

KT

Randal,
I was the one who taught John to go thru 8 flat out....,years ago when he was still driving the green 2.0L

Grants car given enough HP with the rebuild will be a bit too quick to try that move at least initially.

It is safer to do now with the extra run off room. Years ago it was just the hill side and lots of rocks wacko.gif

I think a judicious lift or quick stab of the brakes will be beneficial for Grant or anyone else starting out at TH.

Slow and steady improvement is the key.. always smile.gif
Trekkor
It was several trips over two years before "flat in 8" was possible for me.
Riding with John Seidel was what got me thinking about it idea.gif

Still, I don't attempt it until midway through the session. Scary...

KT
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 1 2006, 12:44 PM) *

TH is a fantastic venue.

KT

Randal,
I was the one who taught John to go thru 8 flat out....,years ago when he was still driving the green 2.0L

Grants car given enough HP with the rebuild will be a bit too quick to try that move at least initially.

It is safer to do now with the extra run off room. Years ago it was just the hill side and lots of rocks wacko.gif

I think a judicious lift or quick stab of the brakes will be beneficial for Grant or anyone else starting out at TH.

Slow and steady improvement is the key.. always smile.gif

When we get the little 2.4 going on the track Dan I'm hoping you'll be my instructor.

Somehow I don't think I'll be going around 8 flat out with the new motor and lighter car; at least not for a bit.

BTW John also taught me how to do 7 flat out going backwards. Did he also learn that one from you?
DanT
happy11.gif both directions smile.gif
ConeDodger
Just spun up my points based on what I am doing over the winter. Question for your GGR heads... I gave myself mod points for non stock induction. I will be going to Dellorto carbs and ditching the EFI. Is this a correct application of this section. Or did I just 'fess up to non-existant forced induction?
race914
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Dec 24 2006, 06:27 PM) *

Just spun up my points based on what I am doing over the winter. Question for your GGR heads... I gave myself mod points for non stock induction. I will be going to Dellorto carbs and ditching the EFI. Is this a correct application of this section. Or did I just 'fess up to non-existant forced induction?

Yup... I gave myself the 'non stock induction' points for my webers...

Also gave myself points for 'flares' since I have 15x7 fuchs and 205x50s in the rear. Not sure everyone else did that...
DanT
Greg, you are correct on the induction....but the fenders I would call stock...

Not like you have GT flares with 9s or 10s on the rear....
but then again, not my call anymore biggrin.gif

not to mention that the 10 points won't make a difference in class for you anyway...

Interesting that your car and Tricia's end up in the same class....
Hmmmm, 914-6GT clone with 3.2L running against narrow bodied 2.2L 4

Sounds like a fair match to me....

ya, right....that is the problem with our points system I am surprised the GT clone isn't in even a higher class.

DanT
The other problem with the current system is that points are awarded for wheel widths but not tire widths.

So you can run 205s on 5.5s, 6s, 7s ...so you have the same tire patch +or- a .25 inch but you can get nailed for what 100 points because of wheel width.

They are giving points for the wrong thing....for me points would be awarded for tire width.

confused24.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 24 2006, 09:17 PM) *

The other problem with the current system is that points are awarded for wheel widths but not tire widths.

So you can run 205s on 5.5s, 6s, 7s ...so you have the same tire patch +or- a .25 inch but you can get nailed for what 100 points because of wheel width.

They are giving points for the wrong thing....for me points would be awarded for tire width.

confused24.gif

Dan,
Just a comment on the wheel width vs tire point thing. I don't disagree but I had an interesting experience this last year. I ran an event in the Bumblebee 6 at Charles Schultz. My best tires were on 2 liter Fuchs so I switched out of the Revolutions that are on the Bumblebee. I might as well have been skating on a pond for the traction I could produce. Weeks later I put the Revolutions back on and ran one of our events at Stockton. Very good grip. Even with worn out Victoracers I had better grip with the 7 inch wheel than with newish Yokohama AO32Rs on 5.5.
Perhaps the sidewalls are working better on the 7 inch wheels?
I still have to decide what to do with those wheels. Only one potential buyer is insisting that the second set of wheels stay with the car. Weren't you one of the guys who wanted them?
DanT
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Dec 24 2006, 09:28 PM) *

confused24.gif

Dan,
Just a comment on the wheel width vs tire point thing. I don't disagree but I had an interesting experience this last year. I ran an event in the Bumblebee 6 at Charles Schultz. My best tires were on 2 liter Fuchs so I switched out of the Revolutions that are on the Bumblebee. I might as well have been skating on a pond for the traction I could produce. Weeks later I put the Revolutions back on and ran one of our events at Stockton. Very good grip. Even with worn out Victoracers I had better grip with the 7 inch wheel than with newish Yokohama AO32Rs on 5.5.
I still have to decide what to do with those wheels. Only one potential buyer is insisting that the second set of wheels stay with the car. Weren't you one of the guys who wanted them?

I agree with your assesment about the wheel widths....it would be more interesting to have the same tire on each type wheel and use them at the same event. That would yield some interesting data.

We have also been having a discussion over on the GGR board about tire compounds (wear ratings) having more granularities in the points assignments.
>100=steet tires, no points
<100 but > 40, 60 points RA1s, Victoracers, Pilot sport cups, Yoko A048
<40 110 points Hoosiers, 710s, Avons
full race slicks 150points

Or at least something along those lines...

As far as wheels....I am looking for 5.5 4 bolt Fuchs. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 24 2006, 09:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Dec 24 2006, 09:28 PM) *

confused24.gif

Dan,

I agree with your assesment about the wheel widths....it would be more interesting to have the same tire on each type wheel and use them at the same event. That would yield some interesting data.

We have also been having a discussion over on the GGR board about tire compounds (wear ratings) having more granularities in the points assignments.
>100=steet tires, no points
<100 but > 40, 60 points RA1s, Victoracers, Pilot sport cups, Yoko A048
<40 110 points Hoosiers, 710s, Avons
full race slicks 150points

Or at least something along those lines...

As far as wheels....I am looking for 5.5 4 bolt Fuchs. biggrin.gif

Isn't that what you have on your car? I have 10 or 11 2.0 liter Fuchs.
The best 5 will be going to Harvey W. in a few weeks. The rest are available.
DanT
Rob,
can you send me pics of the next best 4 please? How much would you want for 4?
Yes, I have Fuchs now but I am also planning on having a second set...
One with Victors or RA1s and one with V710s

How much does he charge for a full polish?

Thanks

Dan

Merry Christmas
Chris Pincetich
Merry Christmas! I just got a SA2005 open faced helmet and a Martini Racing polo shirt I can wear to work. w00t.gif

This week in OR with my family I did the GGR mods sheet for my car 5-6 times to see what I could manage and stay in either AX12 or maybe AX13. The 5.5 in wheels vs. 6.5 in wheels is a pretty big deal....and I noticed that after I did this imaginary mod, the system updated it on the "TT" tab of points but NOT the "AX" tab of points. I ended up with 6 emails from GGR and the wrong real tire widths for TT. Which leads to my question

Can the system handle different wheels of different widths (and tires) for running in either TT or AX?

Maybe I just never noticed something about the system that told me which type of racing I was modding for. blink.gif

Also, do PCA GGR, RR, and all other Zone 7 groups do their own points and mods systems? Is there any kind of points race in RR or overall Zone 7?
OT: I like the green! beerchug.gif
DanT
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Dec 25 2006, 01:41 PM) *

Merry Christmas! I just got a SA2005 open faced helmet and a Martini Racing polo shirt I can wear to work. w00t.gif

This week in OR with my family I did the GGR mods sheet for my car 5-6 times to see what I could manage and stay in either AX12 or maybe AX13. The 5.5 in wheels vs. 6.5 in wheels is a pretty big deal....and I noticed that after I did this imaginary mod, the system updated it on the "TT" tab of points but NOT the "AX" tab of points. I ended up with 6 emails from GGR and the wrong real tire widths for TT. Which leads to my question

Can the system handle different wheels of different widths (and tires) for running in either TT or AX?

No you would need to enter your car for each tire/wheel combination.

Maybe I just never noticed something about the system that told me which type of racing I was modding for. blink.gif

Also, do PCA GGR, RR, and all other Zone 7 groups do their own points and mods systems? Is there any kind of points race in RR or overall Zone 7?
OT: I like the green! beerchug.gif

All regions within Zone 7 use GGR rules,,at least up until 2006. Each region then has its own series with points and year end awards. There is a zone 7 series and year end awards and there are PAX systems for each as well.[color=#3333FF]
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 25 2006, 09:51 AM) *

Rob,
can you send me pics of the next best 4 please? How much would you want for 4?
Yes, I have Fuchs now but I am also planning on having a second set...
One with Victors or RA1s and one with V710s

How much does he charge for a full polish?

Thanks

Dan

Merry Christmas

Dan,

If I wanted just a full polish on a set of "track wheels" I would use Al Reed in the LA area. Harvey is more expensive. I am having a set done for the occasional concours event as I have been winning these when I enter. I am not a concours guy but apparently I have stumbled in to a good example of 2.0 liter 914 and the weenies like it.
I have about $75 each in the "extra" wheels if your interested. I got a lot of six off evil bay. Not looking to make money on these. I will shoot some pics of the runts in the litter soon...
Rob
DanT
Thanks Rob.

I will be waiting for the pics when you get the time. I am in no hurry. sounds good.

I may just take them to wheel techniques here in town...they did some wheels for my Carrera a few years ago.
they came out real nice or I will do them myself again...I did the ones that are currently on my car and they turned out pretty nice for about 4 hours work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.