Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front & Rear Bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tom_T
QUOTE(unpolire @ Mar 6 2012, 11:01 AM) *

Does anyone have a photo of a dealer-installed front license plate mount for a chrome bumper car? I have the mounting holes but have no idea what the bracket looks like and it is required in California.

I don't have a pic of good bracket mounted handy - hopefully someone else will, but if you look at RFoulds' pic of the inside/backside of his rear bumper you can see the 2 metal screw clips inserted thru those 2 rectangular mounting holes.

Same thing is used for the F bumper, although sometimes now they're selling with plastic/nylon clips which won't rust nor scratch the chrome or painted finish on the bumpers.

I'm pretty sure that Porsche dealers, Pelican, GPR, CAMP914, TC'sGarage, Sierra Madre Collection, AutoAtlanta, Performance Products/Automotion/Ekler's, etc. all still sell the F & R licence plate mounts & mount kits &/or full kits of both parts for F & R if you want a new one. IIRC it's the same bracket & hardware as used on all P-cars from that period, so they'd keep them in stock at Porsche.

If you're a PCA member, then there are usually 20% discounts to members on parts from dealers.

Here are my old license plate brackets F & R dismounted FYI - the 2 screw holes at the ends of the horizontal piece go into the threaded inserts in the bumper's mounting holes (IIRC the offset one went on the front).
Click to view attachment

PS - same ones used on both chrome & painted bumpers

welcome.png
unpolire
Thank you, now I see how different it is from the rear mount. Is it curved to match the contour of the front bumper, or are there two spacers to hold it flat away from the curved surface and keep the plate and any frame flat?
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 6 2012, 01:40 PM) *

QUOTE(unpolire @ Mar 6 2012, 11:01 AM) *

Does anyone have a photo of a dealer-installed front license plate mount for a chrome bumper car? I have the mounting holes but have no idea what the bracket looks like and it is required in California.

I don't have a pic of good bracket mounted handy - hopefully someone else will, but if you look at RFoulds' pic of the inside/backside of his rear bumper you can see the 2 metal screw clips inserted thru those 2 rectangular mounting holes.

Same thing is used for the F bumper, although sometimes now they're selling with plastic/nylon clips which won't rust nor scratch the chrome or painted finish on the bumpers.

I'm pretty sure that Porsche dealers, Pelican, GPR, CAMP914, TC'sGarage, Sierra Madre Collection, AutoAtlanta, Performance Products/Automotion/Ekler's, etc. all still sell the F & R licence plate mounts & mount kits &/or full kits of both parts for F & R if you want a new one. IIRC it's the same bracket & hardware as used on all P-cars from that period, so they'd keep them in stock at Porsche.

If you're a PCA member, then there are usually 20% discounts to members on parts from dealers.

Here are my old license plate brackets F & R dismounted FYI - the 2 screw holes at the ends of the horizontal piece go into the threaded inserts in the bumper's mounting holes (IIRC the offset one went on the front).
Click to view attachment

PS - same ones used on both chrome & painted bumpers

welcome.png

Tom_T
QUOTE(unpolire @ Mar 6 2012, 09:21 PM) *

Thank you, now I see how different it is from the rear mount. Is it curved to match the contour of the front bumper, or are there two spacers to hold it flat away from the curved surface and keep the plate and any frame flat?

Actually they're originally flat, but mine in the pic were bent in an accident.

The new ones from the dealer are flat, but fit the flat if angled faces of our early 914 F & R bumpers perfectly. They are also used on most of the other 60's-70's-80's Porsche models.

EDITED FOR BREVITY 3-24-12

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
lennyhope
I have a US spec 914/4 1.7 (built Nov 1972) with Tits front and rear......Should I only have tits at the front??
Tom_T
QUOTE(lennyhope @ Apr 2 2012, 11:01 AM) *

I have a US spec 914/4 1.7 (built Nov 1972) with Tits front and rear......Should I only have tits at the front??

Nov. 72 build date is 73 MY - tits in front only.

FYI - the MYs go from production in July or August of the year earlier than the MY, and go until June or July of the calendar year same as MY.

The for sure way to tell is to check the year designator in the VIN, which for 914/4s is the 3rd digit - e.g.: 473.... is for 73 MY.

75-76 MYs had the big 5 mph impact absorbing bumpers,
74 had tits front & rear, 73 had front tits only - which tits were interim 3 mph impact resistant
70-72 MYs had no tits at all.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 2 2012, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(lennyhope @ Apr 2 2012, 11:01 AM) *

Nov. 72 build date is 73 MY - tits in front only.

FYI - the MYs go from production in July or August of the year earlier than the MY, and go until June or July of the calendar year same as MY.

The for sure way to tell is to check the year designator in the VIN, which for 914/4s is the 3rd digit - e.g.: 473.... is for 73 MY.

75-76 MYs had the big 5 mph impact absorbing bumpers,
74 had tits front & rear, 73 had front tits only - which tits were interim 3 mph impact resistant
70-72 MYs had no tits at all.

Agree.

Would be helpful to know the VIN. but no '72 had any tits. We '72 owners are proud of being flat chested happy11.gif
Niklas
My 1971 rear end.

Click to view attachment

Niklas
RARE 6
QUOTE(6freak @ Jan 6 2009, 11:32 AM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Jul 19 2008, 09:10 PM) *

I had a 71 4 with the squared bumper.

3 1970 6`s in my family and two have the squared bumpers 1 rounded ...I think it was just a matter of witch one was available when the car was put togather in the factory

I am an original owner of a 6/70 914-6 with a rounded rear bumper. It's the bumper that was on the car when picked up from the dealer. I'm assuming it was the part currently available when the car was assembled.
Arno914
Hi,

talking about $$$ of rechroming those "bumpers" (nice looking trim would be a better description, since they are so vulnerable):

I just picked up my freshly rechromed front bumper last week. It had some minor dents in it and 8 small holes drilled by the previous owner (for some fogs or the like... headbang.gif )

Well, it now looks like new. Just a perfect shine and finish!

I paid one grand! Almost to precious to be put back on the car. rolleyes.gif

Arno

IPB Image
davep
Probably better now than it was originally. Sometimes I see brand new bumpers in primer and think about sending them for chroming.
brcacti
I have always liked the chrome bumpers had them on my 1973, not many years later on my 74 all black sad.gif oh well my blue with black is a good color combination I can settle with.
Arno914
I put the rechromed bumper back on my 914 and noticed some lack of clearance for the original foglights. I had some alignment issues because the foglight housings almost had no space with their lower portion interfering with the back of the bumper.

I noticed that the "later" chrome bumper (which I had on the car for the last couple of years) has more clearance in this area. Note the picture.

Can someone confirm on this? Looks like the factory did this small change to allow for better adjustment of the fogs?

Greetings, Arno

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.