Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIN number/engine number matching
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2
street legal go-kart
I had heard from a retired export guy who worked for the factory that almost all US cars came with the steel wheels in 76 as the factory had run out of alloys.
Hence the plethora of Riverias which were the closest offset the dealers could find.
I have kept mine in case at some point this proves true.
My car also an unmolested 11/75 car with no damage ect.
I can't remember my vin offhand.

JT
type4org
QUOTE(street legal go-kart @ Apr 12 2007, 05:44 PM) *

I had heard from a retired export guy who worked for the factory that almost all US cars came with the steel wheels in 76 as the factory had run out of alloys.
Hence the plethora of Riverias which were the closest offset the dealers could find.
I have kept mine in case at some point this proves true.
My car also an unmolested 11/75 car with no damage ect.
I can't remember my vin offhand.

JT

That's quite interesting. It seems there is no end to all the anecdotes and stories that influenced production in one way or another wink.gif

Bleyseng
My 12/75 76 came with Fuchs....I can see where the Dealers would swap out the cool fuchs and install other rims to sell the fuchs at a premium..
Tom_T
My early-73 2.0 VIN 4732901954 was "missing" the 5 Fuchs 2.0 Alloys when I bought it on 12/26/75 from the original owner (I think) - 38 months after first sold new 11/9/72 in CA, so it was subject to that wrong Alloy centering hub HA/HB Recall. When I got it, it had 4 Rivieras & the then "new for MY 73" mag-style steelie spare - instead of the 5 Fuchs 4-Lug 5.5Jx15 Alloys ("Windmill" style) which were standard issue as "included upgrades/options" for 1973 MY 2.0's!

Here's what the early 1973 Porsche+Audi 12 page 10x14 914 marketing brochure which I purchased recently on-line, says about the "upgrades" or "included options" for the "914S" model. This brochure was used before Porsche AG in Germany made their US affiliate drop references to "914S" in favor of 914-2.0, as they probably didn't want to eat the cost of trashing them & reprinting everything! I'll post pix of the front cover & back cover/specs chart on 2 following posts FYI.

"914S" Model Description & Options "Included" (1973 MY 914-2.0):

Click to view attachment

Note the proper polished "windmill paddles" & rim, with the anodized matte background finish on this factory pic. ^

My guess is that it was cheaper for the selling dealer to take off the Fuchs to resell at an additional profit - perhaps ones missing the proper inset for the 73 MY's "new" centering hubs - than to put a set of the proper Fuchs on it, & instead throw on a cheaper set of the 4-bolt 5-spoke Rivieras.

BTW - they had also stripped off the fog lights & center console with the 3 gauges - probably also sold on another 914! I found cut wires behind the horns for the fog lights & a perfect hole in dash & its basketweave fabric for the switch; as well as the screw clips & holes under the dash & at the center tunnel, & the 3 wiring harness connectors for the clock, voltmeter & oil temp/pressure gauge under the center tunnel carpet!

That A-hole dealer probably charged full price to the original buyer after that! While I liked the look of those Rivieras - they are an unusual brushed aluminum finish rather than polished which I don't see much anymore (rare?) - but I now know that they're less desirable than the Fuchs 2.0 Alloys. The brushed aluminum Rivieras are a PITA to keep looking good though, due to the small lines of the brushed finish.

[/b]This is one of the Rivieras with original "plastichrome" center cap on my car since I got it & I was told since new, but it's dusty & not cleaned from sitting 24 years in my garage:

Click to view attachment

I'm 99.99% sure that the Fuchs 2.0's, Fog Lights & Center Console/3-Gauges came as standard upgrades/options for ALL MY 73 914-2.0/914S"models - despite PCNA's refusal to indicate such nor to correct interior color errors on my COA. I've checked these facts with the period early 1973 Porsche+Audi marketing brochures (3), several Mulrooney Window Stickers, R&T's 2/73 914/2 Road Test Article & MT's 3/73 914S/Pangra/Pinto-upgrade Road Test article, & several other period car mag. articles - ALL of which said that all 1973 MY 914-2.0s' came standard with:

Appearance Group:
Chrome Bumpers F&R
Center Console with Clock, Oil Temp. of Pressure Gauge & Voltmeter
(Porsche+Audi lists Oil Pressure, but others list Oil Temp.)
Center Storage Bin with Padded Armrest (seat cushion)
Leather(ette) wrapped Steering Wheel
Leather(ette) Shifter Boot
Vinyl Leatherette Covered Roll-bar with Chrome Trim
Dual Tone Horns
Fog/Driving/Supplemental Headlights with "Chrome" Grills ("Plasti-chrome")

Performance Group:
Stabilization Bars F&R
"Special" 5.5Jx15 Lightweight Forged Alloy Wheels "specially designed for the 914S"
(the Fuchs 2.0 Alloys subject here)
"Larger" 165HR15 Radial Tires (usually or always steel belted radials)
(these varied from Dunlops, Michelins & Semperits - latter was orig. on my spare)

Ergo - I'm pretty confident that the answer to the query above - & to my "mystery of missing OE options on mine" - is that we should have had a full set of 5 date matching Fuchs 2.0 Alloys on our 1973 2.0's, while later years' 2.0s, `73 1.7s & 74-76 1.8s could have had them as options originally - if the Mulrooney window sticker &/or dealer's Bill of Sale indicated such for the other MY 2.0's & 1.7s/1.8s.

BTW - this is some of the documentation from Porsche's own marketing materials which I sent to PCNA, & they still refused to change my COA & correct their erroneous black to my actual Tan/Cinnamon interior color, & left off the 9/72 build date on my tag & that PCNA's Customer Care person told me was on their records (COA says not available); as well as having the wrong first sale 9/73 in Conn - instead of 11/9/72 in CA as shown on my 12/26/75 1st transfer registration card! PCNA's COAs are f-ing useless!!!! chair.gif

Hope this is helpful to other 2.0 owners regarding the Fuchs 2.0 Alloys!?
blink.gif
Tom_T
Here's the Spec Sheet on the Back Cover of that early-1973 Porsche+Audi Marketing Brochure:

Click to view attachment

rolleyes.gif
Tom_T
And Finally - Here's the Front Cover of that early-1973 Porsche+Audi Marketing Brochure:

Click to view attachment

Note that these are all cropped down to fit the 500MB post size limit here, & the pages are actually much bigger, but my camera takes 8MP pix & I had it on super-fine so it would be readable & thaqt makes the files BIG!

smile.gif
Tom_T
OOOPS _ got my wires crossed on the original topic here, with another I was looking at! wacko.gif

However, I did touch on my hairpulling COA problems which IS the topic here! I just got PCNA's 2nd try on the COA & they only added "GA" to my engine number (GA000424) & added 2.0 to the model number.

I've been going around with Kristen Rochford in COA to photographically document that full set of "included options" which shows in my above posts, as all extant on my 914, as well as the Porsche docs showing them, as well as my TAN interior. When she hesitated to correct the errors, I asked here to check with her boss - Gerri Lunsden, Customer Care Manager - who sent me an email that they would neither change my COA nor release the Kardex, etc., claimed that their records are correct - period, and refunded my $115.95 & sent me that 2nd "free" WRONG COA, & stated that they would no longer answer any further e-mails from me!!!!
bs.gif

Now why can they change the COA for the GA engine & 2.0 model (it 1st said just 914) based on my photos of the car, but not change the interior color, first sale date, show the build date that Jolene Constant in PCNA's Customer Care Dept. read from their own records, & show the "standard 1973 2.0 options" with the same sort of photo documentation????
WTF.gif

I did an end around her to try to find out PCNA's/PAG's ISO9001 procedures for making such corrections, and ended up getting the VP of PCNA's Customer Service - Andrew Pine calling me back (his number is 770-290-3500 fyi). Unfortunately he called me the day I got home from surgery & couldn't talk much, so I need to get back to him to see if they will correct this, or if they feel it is appropriate "customer care" to blow off a Porsche owner this way!

After I get back to him & know what action they'll take, I will put a separate sub-forum on my travails & any resolution (or not), along with PCNA's contact numbers & names for folks to get their own COAs corrected!

This is just a bunch of pompous Horse-puckey on PCNA's part, & there's really no excuse for refusing to correct errors in COAs when faced with overwhelming documentation - let alone forcing we owners to jump thru multiple hoops just to get their act straight at PCNA!
bs.gif

I just do not understand nor agree with those who say that PCNA's/PAG's COAs & Kardexs "are what they are" & imperfect, without offering a means to correct blatant errors such as mine, or Pat Garvey's "Norwegian Equipment" for 20+/- years!!!! ar15.gif

Heck!!!! <...& that's NOT what I meant!.... ....their dang cover letter from PCNA's CEO - Detlev von Platen - & their folder for the COA both say to "....inspect your COA and contact us [COA dept.] about any questions or errors"!!!! Why the Heck put that there, if all they're going to do is argue with you about how their records are right & your car is not!!!????
WTF.gif

Why the F would I or anyone want to spend $80K for a new Porsche with this sort of CRAP Customer Service from these A-holes!? confused24.gif

Maybe if everyone with errors on their 914 COAs here, the 356 & 911/912 folks elsewhere, etc. can all contact Andrew Pine & Von Platen about their crap records & COAs - perhaps then they might both do a better job initially, & have a set procedure for acceptable ways to get corrections done?
happy11.gif

Geez - I must be getting better, the ole "fire" is coming back! ar15.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(type4org @ Jan 19 2007, 09:35 AM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Jan 19 2007, 11:24 AM) *

It could be the dealer did a little parts swapping in the back lot.
I'd like to see that new COA.

Hm... that parts swap would be quite annoying. I spent a lot of money to replace the Rivieras on the car with a set of nicely redone steelies, on the assumption that the spare was indeed what the car had originally headbang.gif

Here's the COA:

Click to view attachment

BTW Jens - would I have any luck having my German-born & Porsche Factory trained 914 mechanic write Porsche AG in Germany to get one of these Euro style "Zertificates"? confused24.gif

Would he have to have it sent to a German address, or his shop in California (Kaulifornia for our Austrian Governor!)???? confused24.gif

Someone told me that you have to send in your 914's Euro-land registration with their equivalent motor vehicle department to get one - is that true?? confused24.gif

At least your "Zertificate" is more complete, although it sounds like it's just as fraught with frustrating errors!? bs.gif

Any guidance on that would be helpful! Thanx in advance! smile.gif
davep
I have a pretty good working relationship with Kristen. Give me a bit of time, and I will try to help get matters resolved. I believe that half of the problems with PCNA is that some of their documentation is incomplete or incorrect. Also, many things changed from year to year so that they would require a crib sheet for each model for each year.
Tom_T
Thanx Dave,

But please PM me with your e-mail & I'll follow up with the politely rude blow-off from Kristen's boss, so you know what you're up against before you weigh in & possibly ruin that good relationship. I can also email your with the series of emails to Kristen with my photo-documentation noted here (broken up due to attachemtn #/size limits), if that helps. So let me know what you want. FYI - my VIN is 4732901954 & matching original Engine Code #GA000424, supposedly built 9/72 (per PCNA as noted below - my door tag is currently overpainted & unreadable), & first sold in Cal. 11/9/72 per my Cal-DMV Reg. Card from when I bought it 38+/- months used on 12/26/75 (I think I'm the 2nd owner, unless selling P.O. fibbed).

Also be aware that I will be following up with PCNA's VP of Customer Service - Andrew Pine, who had contacted me as a result of my outside queries for a contact with PCNA's ISO-9100 manager. He called me the day after my surgery, so I asked him to let me call him back after I felt better, which I plan to do this week. If that avenue goes nowhere, then I'll contact PCNA's CEO von Platen directly, & then on to NHTSA & US-DOT - because PCNA's treatment of this whole matter is a pile of stromberg.gif !

Kristen actually was not the problem & was very nice & helpful, but maintained that she was limited in what the PCNA management would let her do to "correct" their records errors, so I asked her to go up the chain of command for permission to do so. While Kristen admitted that there were errors, her boss Gerri Lumsden (a Customer Commitment Manager) replied that PCNA's records are correct & they wouldn't change anything nor release any Kardex nor records documents & she sent out a 2nd incorrect COA which I got last week!!!!

That bs.gif revised COA still shows:
1. a black interior - not my TAN/Cinnamon/Carmel or whatever it was called that MY;

2. still lacks the build date - which Jolene Constant in Customer Commitment had read to me on the phone from PCNA's own records last month during an inquiry as to the HO Recall (still says "Not Available");

3. still shows the Porsche Paint & Interior Colors' codes in Porsche numbers - which may not be a big deal, but I did research & supply documentation for the correct L80E & 501/502/504 TAN interior upholstery/carpet colors to them;

4. still only lists "US Eqpt." & "Tinted Glass all around" under options - without any reference to the Appearance & Performance Group options & a couple of others - despite my supplying PCNA with both photo-documented on my car & from Porsche|Audi & VW America's own 1973 marketing brochure showing that they were "included options" on the "914S" (914-2.0) with reference to R&T & MT period road tests noting same! .....see pic below....

However, they were mysteriously able to make a similar change to add "GA" to my engine code number & added "2.0" to the 914 model number/type field -all based on my photo-documentation of my engine number GA000424 from my 914! So why can they change their records for that based upon my photo-docs. & not the others!!!!???

Moreover, I have NO IDEA from Ms. Lumsden's email as to whether they ever corrected to first sale date from 9/73 in Conn. - to the 11/9/72 in Cal. showing on my Cal-DMV Reg. Card - which I also submitted as a photo for that purpose. I had also suggested that PCNA contact their alleged Conn. selling dealer &/or first owner to verify the VIN/Eng. No., Model & MY, Paint & Int. Colors for that actual car sold there in 9/73, to determine if it was in fact mine somehow?? ....or if it was another 914 with perhaps a transposed VIN - say a 474... rather than 473... - all of which Ms. Lumsden refused to do!

The above is NOT a non-issue nor "...[COA &/or Kardex is/are] not a legal document..." as Ms. Lumsden contends in her email to me, since NHTSA & DOT require such records for safety recalls to be maintained accurately in perpetuity, since the safety recall such as the HO & BO applicable to my 914 & any other car NEVER EXPIRE, & the manufacturers need to document whether or not they were in fact performed on a particular vehicle.

Additionally, "Kaulifornia's" DMV has a nasty habit of back-checking vehicle ownership, first sale, equipment & other history with both out-of-state & stored/long-term-Non-op status vehicles, & and force new smog checks &/or deny the pre-1975 exemption to such cars. And with our state's $24+B deficit, DMV will most assuredly be doing everything that they can do for "revenue enhancement" - such as assessing fees & penalties for such cases, as they've done in every Recession since the 1970s!!!!

Since my 914 has been stored for 24+ years since 5/85 & last Non-Op. Reg. expired 12/92 - I'm at risk for this treatment & fees/penalties if their back-check reveals an erroneous Conn. sale - contrary to my reg. card - particularly since I recently found out thru an "Info. Request" that they do not even have the 1972-75 microfilm records anymore!

Additionally - how can a Porsche owner know if what PCNA?PAG is telling you about Recalls on you car are correct, if they do not even have the correct first sale/owner info. & refuse to change it!?

BTW - Ms. Lumsden also refunded my Visa for the $115.95 (NOT at my request) - I presume ostensibly to absolve them of any errors therein! ....but that doesn't change the NHTSA/DOT problem for them. She did so by flat out refusing to change ANYTHING nor to supply any of their documentation - claiming proprietary rights on a 36+ year old car's Kardex!!! Come on, I mean really - was there some secret formula or "Col. Porsche's Secret Sauce" to make these 914s so prone to rust or something which they want to protect!!!! confused24.gif

She did so, rather than coming back with a counter-proposal as to what PCNA could do & change/correct on the COA (like the interior color), and offering perhaps a PCNA letter at least acknowledging that the App. & Perf. Group options came on all 914-2.0/"914S" cars for MY 1973, as I'd documented in the pics of their brochure below! WTF.gif

Why should the 356 on up Porsche owners have to put up with such crappy customer/owner treatment regarding these Half-fast COAs!? I just don't get these folks who are willing to submit to Porsche's "near-god" attitude!!?? confused24.gif

"914S" (914-2.0) FITMENT PAGE FROM EARLY-1973 MY PORSCHE|AUDI DEALER MARKETING BROCHURE (AT PG 11 OF 12):
(Mine was sold 11/72 when this was in use)

Click to view attachment

914-1.7L & "914S" (914-2.0) SPECS PAGE/BACK COVER FROM EARLY-1973 MY PORSCHE|AUDI DEALER MARKETING BROCHURE (AT PG 12 OF 12):

Click to view attachment

screwy.gif

Isn't this the sort of market arrogance which has had Detroit's "Big 3" in trouble & losing market share since the 1970's!? ...& look at them now - GM BK today, Chrysler's 2nd BK a few weeks ago, & Ford hoping they'll be OK by the time their funds run out in 2010 - with Toyota passing them all in sales volume in 2008! So does Porsche want to be next along with their Audi & VW brethren???

WTF.gif

This is NOT smart treatment of prospective buyers in their prime earnings years who already have an affinity for old Porsches, and could be buying new ones for "daily drivers"! ...given this treatment - I certainly won't buy another Porsche unless this matter is "fixed" by PCNA!!!! mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.