Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How I painted my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mike431635
I usually just lurk and don't post, but I just had to pop out of hiding for this one. Your car looks AMAZING and seeing the whole process is awesome. Great-looking 914 for sure!
thomasotten
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 1 2007, 08:59 AM) *

Thanks Thomas.
The trunks look great. Seeing the trunks match the outside really makes a paint job outstanding. How many coats of clear did you use?

On the trunks, 2 coats of clear. On the body, 5 total.
andys
I'm glad this thread got going again, as I have a question.

So Thomas, how did you prep the trunk areas (and all those nooks and crannies) prior to priming? What did you do to insure good adhesion?

Andys
thomasotten
QUOTE(andys @ May 1 2007, 12:24 PM) *

I'm glad this thread got going again, as I have a question.

So Thomas, how did you prep the trunk areas (and all those nooks and crannies) prior to priming? What did you do to insure good adhesion?

Andys

Well, to start out, I degreased the areas, and hosed off with water. Then, I scrubbed the nook and crannies with a scotch pad (grocery store type) and a little Simple-Green cleaner. Cleaned with water again. Next, I sanded with wet/dry. 400 grit should be good enough in those areas. Finally, I sprayed sealer down.
tracks914
For my underside, wheel wells, interior and trunks I used a good quality enamel paint. I only used base coat clear coat for the outside of the car and nobody has noticed yet...until now...the secret is out!!
thomasotten
Hey guys, here's some shots of how I repainted/restored my gas tank and that whole area.

This is what I started with...
thomasotten
There's that green paint again...still can't figure out why the factory would choose to paint all the insides of a car green that was meant to be blue. screwy.gif blue914.jpg
thomasotten
Pulled the tank, cleaned it real well, braised up some holes, and then shot it with sealer...
thomasotten
Don't forget the springs...
thomasotten
And all the tank's friends...
thomasotten
Sealed this area, after a thurough cleaning...
thomasotten
See, now doesn't it look better in blue?
thomasotten
Installed a new fuel pump while I was there. My old one was in the trunk. This one's a rotary and nicely hidden.
thomasotten
Here's a shot of the tank. To paint the tank, I used a black base coat, followed by Hot Hues Matte Clear. I didn't want it too shiny...
thomasotten
And back in she went...
thomasotten
wub.gif
thomasotten
And a new sticker for the gas tank adds the finishing touch..
thomasotten
Springs came out nicely...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
thomasotten
Now, I'm starting on reassembly...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
thomasotten
Got some brand spanking new lights...
Click to view attachment
thomasotten
IT WILL BE SO COOL...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Ferg
clap56.gif

Nice job on the tank!

Ferg
brer
I love your car. wub.gif

what brand sealer and filler primer did you use?
I'm going to fix and seal some areas, but painting is a bit off still.
RoninEclipse2G
QUOTE(brer @ May 23 2007, 11:06 AM) *

I love your car. wub.gif

I'd like to know as well, not a blue fan but that car is gorgeous! keep it up.
this is what I want to do once I have a garage pray.gif
thomasotten
QUOTE(brer @ May 23 2007, 09:06 AM) *

I love your car. wub.gif

I used Nason's brand of sealer. Requires no mixing, just pour in the gun and shoot. Then, save whatever you didn't use. Nason is DuPont's non-name-brand line. I used the Nason high build primer for bodywork as well.
Allan
Your car looks freaking great.

Except for the graphics.

Sorry,

I have to give you a sad.gif for that...
euro911
Very nice job and thread ...
jaminM3
Wow, what a confidence builder. If he can do that Kick Ass job in his Garage on a two stage paint, then there may be hope for us mortals that are going to attempt a single stage in our garage...

Thanks for the thread, nice work thumb3d.gif mueba.gif
Cairo94507
Truly a masterful job. You have skills my friend. I really enjoyed the pictures and commentary. Bravo!
Lou W
Looks beautiful, very nice job. beerchug.gif
thomasotten
It is nice to see that this thread resurfaces from time to time.

One of our club members created a PDF file for his own use of this thread. He is to use it as a guide for his own painting endevours. Here is is, just in case anyone would like to have it.

smilie_flagge6.gif Painting a 914 at Home flag.gif

Thanks goes to Vern Simmons for creating the PDF.
Cheapsnake
Thanks Thomas, as someone who has home-painted cars in the past and is about to do a 914 soon this is one valuable thread and you read my mind by posting that link. I can't agree with you more - this is a LOT of work, but your finished product is just reward. Congrats on the great job and thanks again.

Tom
jjbunn
Superb thread - excellent stuff. Congratulations on a job very well done.
JTarver
QUOTE(LarryR @ Apr 30 2007, 08:26 PM) *

My wife is going to hate you forever for this thread smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif I like to paint and seeing your results have inspired me to paint the 914. I figure that you have produced aprox. a 15-18K paint job by your efforts so I am thinking to do the same.

Great looking car.

Larry, is that your car in your avatar pic? If so, what color is that?
Thanks,
Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.