Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Nando Build - Tear down thru First Start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
martinef1963
Jay - I'm waiting for the fuel pump. I went to ALL my local FLAPS and they have no Bosch items or Castrol break in oil.

I need you to, if you can, get those stuff from up north and bring w/ you. Let me know if that is a problem.

I don't know bro about the carbs - that is your department - it will be OJT.

I have the 911 motor mounts for the tranny. One of the CV joints fell apart in the plastic bag - do I need anything? There is gas in the tank.

I need from you, which I don't have, Transmission bolts - I don't have them???? If you don't have them I will have to get from ACE or this special place I know of.

What else do we need????? I'm stocked bro - it's only been like 5 or 6 months...

QUOTE(jwalters @ Mar 28 2007, 11:18 PM) *

drunk.gif OK Dude - do you have EVERYTHING together for sunday ??????

Have you checked everything twice and then thrice ??????????????

Got the fuel pump in???? anything else ordered in ????

ARE you missing anything ?????

THINK!!!

Do you have a gas can ??? Filled????

Got the exhaust ready to go in ????

Only a few days left - do as much as you can on your side to ready it - -if you feel froggy go ahead and mount the intake manifolds - and, well, hell, the carbs and anything else - Distributor??? Put motor "straight up" with the timing marks I showed you - the dizzy slot will be.........maybe you should wait for me. chairfall.gif

Have a beer on me - - - and should I bring some...............

jwalters
QUOTE(martinef1963 @ Mar 28 2007, 11:29 PM) *

Jay - I'm waiting for the fuel pump. I went to ALL my local FLAPS and they have no Bosch items or Castrol break in oil.

I need you to, if you can, get those stuff from up north and bring w/ you. Let me know if that is a problem.

I have the 911 motor mounts for the tranny. One of the CV joints fell apart in the plastic bag - do I need anything? There is gas in the tank.

I need from you, which I don't have, Transmission bolts - I don't have them???? If you don't have them I will have to get from ACE or this special place I know of.

What else do we need????? I'm stocked bro - it's only been like 5 or 6 months...

THINK!!!

Only a few days left - do as much as you can on your side to ready it - -if you feel froggy go ahead and mount the intake manifolds - and, well, hell, the carbs and anything else - Distributor??? Put motor "straight up" with the timing marks I showed you - the dizzy slot will be.........maybe you should wait for me. chairfall.gif

OK, I will bring OIL!!! Did you get new plug wires yet ??? If not, you had better overnight the F!@kers !!! I ganked some really cool copper over/under size nuts for the exhaust flanges - These have the 8mm thread, but are in an 11mm nut size!!! I know you might not have a clue to what I am talking about but, these should make getting you exhaust on a little bit easier ---

What about the remote oil filter??? Got it in yet??

beer3.gif
Aaron Cox
hold that train! you have an 8" piece of pipe to mount the oil pressure sender on???

you are gonna snap that sooo fast! its 1/8" npt, just grab a hydraulic grease gun hose and mount it on that.

cracked tube or cracked case block would suck.
jwalters
biggrin.gif Yea, and do not forget that there is alot of hardware and stuff on the tray I am bringing with me -- Go to the H/W store and get 13mm nuts with the locking plastic on them - You will need those pups for the intake set-up - get a bunch - 30 if you can - they are by far the most utilized nut on the car ... huh.gif blink.gif unsure.gif

Clean the ground strap on the tranny real good and when you bolt it to the trans, take some paint and paint all over it to seal it in. That strap is of paramount to making sure you have good ground for the starter...

beer3.gif
martinef1963
You're right - not a clue. About the plugs and wires - don't have them here - do any of your FLAPS carry them?

I overnighted the remote oil filter thinga ma jig from AirCooled.net. I think they tried to deliver today, but I was out this morning.

I will call again on the fuel pump for sure.

QUOTE(jwalters @ Mar 28 2007, 11:35 PM) *

THINK!!!

OK, I will bring OIL!!! Did you get new plug wires yet ??? If not, you had better overnight the F!@kers !!! I ganked some really cool copper over/under size nuts for the exhaust flanges - These have the 8mm thread, but are in an 11mm nut size!!! I know you might not have a clue to what I am talking about but, these should make getting you exhaust on a little bit easier ---

beer3.gif

jwalters
Do you have feeler gauges?? I'mma thinkin ya doooooooooo
jwalters
QUOTE(martinef1963 @ Mar 28 2007, 11:39 PM) *

You're right - not a clue. About the plugs and wires - don't have them here - do any of your FLAPS carry them?

I overnighted the remote oil filter thinga ma jig from AirCooled.net. I think they tried to deliver today, but I was out this morning.

I will call again on the fuel pump for sure.

QUOTE(jwalters @ Mar 28 2007, 11:35 PM) *

THINK!!!

beer3.gif

chair.gif chair.gif chair.gif I TOLD you to order wires!!!!! You need them!!!!! No, these are T-4 wires and are specific - - street and sand don't not carry them........

sad.gif I know you are screwing with me, right???

Hehe, hehe

QUICK EDIT: Let me know, and will rape BlackSabbath and bring hers so we can get er running ...
martinef1963
Okay - here is the deal. I went to all my FLAPS and because people down here think they live in a different country than the US - they just don't care much about BOSCH.

I tried all of them. Now, I can overnight them or two day them to get them here NLT Saturday.

Here is my confussion: BOSCH +4 Spark Plugs for a 79 911 3.0L engine, what about the wire set - 911 or for a 1972 914??? I know, I'm clueless about these things, but I'm work in progress... chairfall.gif

Bring the oil, pan tray full of my bolts & nuts, and I'll make sure to go to ACE tomorrow and pic up thd 13MM w/ plastic thing a ma jig in them..... clap56.gif

It's getting late, my head hurts, and there is only one Leffe Blonde in my fridge - try and have your cell phone on you tomorrow in the event that I have to call you (please).

thanks Nando
jwalters
QUOTE(martinef1963 @ Mar 28 2007, 11:53 PM) *

Okay - here is the deal. I went to all my FLAPS and because people down here think they live in a different country than the US - they just don't care much about BOSCH.

I tried all of them. Now, I can overnight them or two day them to get them here NLT Saturday.

Here is my confussion: BOSCH +4 Spark Plugs for a 79 911 3.0L engine, what about the wire set - 911 or for a 1972 914??? I know, I'm clueless about these things, but I'm work in progress... chairfall.gif

Bring the oil, pan tray full of my bolts & nuts, and I'll make sure to go to ACE tomorrow and pic up thd 13MM w/ plastic thing a ma jig in them..... clap56.gif

It's getting late, my head hurts, and there is only one Leffe Blonde in my fridge - try and have your cell phone on you tomorrow in the event that I have to call you (please).

thanks Nando

OK - I will get he oil AND the plugs here - - if you can get the wires here NLT sat. then great - if not I will bring the ones off my car. And yes, seeing as you own a 914 - rolleyes.gif - the wires you would need would be .................. chairfall.gif chairfall.gif chairfall.gif
r_towle
Leira's Service Station
2101 Ludlam Rd
Miami, FL
(305) 261-0173
seems to have been doing VW's since 1971 in Miami...sure to have parts.

I also found this while trying to see if I could find a web site for Leira's for you...
I had to include this cause it seems to fit into the mood of the thread..

Top 5 list - worst places i've woken up
Current mood: exanimate

5.) Awoken by hotel security for sleeping in the hallway in front of my the door to my room. Apparently I was too drunk to operate the room key properly. It took a while to remember, then communicate that I was a hotel guest and not some vagrant that wandered in.

4.) On a couch in the living room of a house in IUP during homecoming, which turned out not to be my buddy Jason's house, but rather, that of a surprisingly understanding elderly couple. They even gave me a glass of OJ before I left. I think they thought I was on my deathbed.

3.) Chained to the floor in the (then) new California Police station. Immediately followed by a conversation about and vague recollections of a disagreement with a train.
2.) The only sober entry on the top 5; Behind the wheel of a car traveling about 100mph down the highway in the middle of the desert. Apparently it's a bad idea to try to drive straight through from Pittsburgh to San Diego. Somewhere between new mexico and arizona, the adrenaline wears off and the exhaustion sets in. There is absolutely nothing out there, no hills, no turns, no trees, nothing, except (thankfully) the widest set of rumble strips along the shoulder of the road.
1.) On a plane as it touches down, wih absolutely zero reollection of how I got there or where this plane might be landing. I've never before or since listened to the pilots announcement so closely. Turned out to be Chicago, where I luckily had friends, but it was February and I had no idea if or what I might have packed. Apparently, there is no such thing as too drunk to fly.

r_towle
I will make a quick list here.

http://www.farrautoparts.com/ (german car parts in Miami)

Prestige Imports (dealer)
14800 Biscayne Blvd
North Miami Beach, FL 33181

Ph. 888-860-5210
Fx. 305-949-0927

another Dealer
Bird Road & Ponce de Leon Blvd.
Coral Gables, FL 33146
(305) 444-5555
Certified Pre-Owned:
US1 & Ponce de Leon Blvd.
Coral Gables, FL 33146
(305) 444-9999

1-800-252-4827 www.thecollection.com

Funny thing is, Porsche dealers do have parts for these cars...
in a pinch...alot of the little parts are at a dealer, on the shelf. nuts, bolts etc, oil, filters, even plug wires...

Rich
Aaron Cox
lose the oil pressure sender 'pole'.....
martinef1963
Aaron - we put the car back together - I bought a smaller adapter, but did not get a chance to put it on.

I will be posting pictures sometime today - it was a long day yesterday.

regards,

Nando

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 29 2007, 12:22 AM) *

lose the oil pressure sender 'pole'.....

martinef1963
I'd like to start off by stating, "if Jay would have had a good helper the Money Pit would have been running!" Jay really did the bulk of the work and I did try to stay lock step w/ him, but my inexperienced showed immensely. So thanks to Jay for taking his day off and helping me w/ this immense project.

Well here goes, Jay arrived at 730AM and I hadd three motorcycles to get out of the garage & two cars to rearrange before we could get started. In addition, one of the bikes was sitting on top of the motorcycle jack that we wanted to use to facilitate the engine install.

Jay started working on the clutch & pressure plate to get the engine & tranny joined while I went to the local ACE to get some replacement bolts & nuts that grew legs.....

martinef1963
After joining the engine & tranny Jay began to look over the carbs, parts, etc.. As usual there were mising bolts that, again, took away from PROGRESS. So off I went off to the my local ACE store. After returning, it was time to get the Money Pit into the shell.

I'd like to say that using the motorcyle stand made the install very easy, HOWEVER, the week before I had R & R the engine rubber and in the process installed them in backwards.

For those that have never R & R this rubber. If you look at your engine bay rubber it has a bend at the bottom that hooks up with the engine tin for air flow efficiency.

So, with the engine out, but still located under the bay I R & R the rubber, while Jay started to build the carbs.

After the rubber R & R, we installed the engine.

martinef1963
Click to view attachmentAdding the oil to the VIRGIN Money PitClick to view attachmentBefore the engine/tranny was installed I R&R the tranny mounts with a new pair of 911 mounts.

Did I mention that the engine cross bar bolts were misplaced????? headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif you know - I did my thing AGAIN chair.gif chair.gif chair.gif

We managed to get everything in place and the nuts were tightened down. The engine/tranny settled in and Jay worked on the top side while I worked on the bottom.

Jay tackled the carbs & wiring while I took care of the oil relief valves, oil strainer, taco plate.

Two other problems we encountered after the actual engine install. I purchased a fuel pump that came with no nipple, and were would we mount the oil filter mount.

This time Jay ran to the local FLAPS - did I mention twice? The THIRD time I flew w/ him to a Pep Boys that was out of the way and finally had to buy another fuel pump that came w/ nipples/accessories, etc.....

Jay got to working on the top side again, and I returned to the exhaust system - not too much fun here. Though the mufler was a PITA to get lined up (MANTA).
martinef1963
My mind is still fuzzy on the details and sequence of events, but you guys & gals should get the jist of this progress.

I know that there is no specific checklist that can be used for a project like this because people do different things, have a stash of extra stuff, etc.. - but hey maybe some does.

We ran out of day light, it turned out to be a 12 hour day. It was one of the most frustrating days that I can recall.

Regardless, there was major progress. If there is some advise that this rookie can give other rookies out there is - HAVE YOUR I's DOTTED and your T's CROSSED before undertaking such a project.

Ultimately, it's not the big things that kill you, it's the SMALL stuff!!! I'm sure Jay will add some pixs/verbiage here to fill in the holes.

rhodyguy
next time try the CV bolt Schnorr (sp) washers and common nuts for the intake studs instead of the nyloc nuts. great progress!! which pump did you use? self regulated?

k
Joe Ricard
You are going to have problems synching your carbs up with the VERY high angle of the lever arm.
Good luck.
Kargeek
Joe's correct. The arms of the carb linkage should be level. My offset cable bracket mounted on the right carb works just fine- it you don't have any slop in the linkage.

DH
rhodyguy
what's the update on this one? progress?

k
jimkelly
i may have missed it ...

i know aa performance products 96 mm big bore kit

but

what distributor ??

what cam ??

what carbs and set up ??

thanks

jim
jimkelly
is it better to tap case ot to use something like this and why.

http://www.kerryhunterenterprise.com/new_page_5.htm

jim
jwalters
biggrin.gif Da nando -

ChrisFoley
That looks very nice!
My compliments on your workmanship.
rhodyguy
is that a dist for Ljet? does it work well with the vac canister unhooked? clean engine bay!

k
justme
QUOTE(jwalters @ Mar 20 2007, 06:57 PM) *

OK, here is a highly coveted secret I will now pass on to all. Do not use any type of hardening silicone on pushrod tubes!!! When an engine like the T4 goes from full cold to full hot in can grow upwards of 10mm!!!!

The secret: Toyota transaxle packing compund - AKA 'red stuff' --- it is non hardening and will move with the tubes as the flex --highly viscous, it pulls and fills in voids --

Do not use for case halves tho!!!!!
Click to view attachment

Do you have a part # on "the red" stuff?

Thanks aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.