Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Nando Build - Tear down thru First Start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
jwalters
drunk.gif
Click to view attachment
Done for now - now to wait for Nando's teener to return from paint and body to finish her off....

Nando, got a name for your car yet???
elwood-914
Hey guys, great job! Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and posting. beerchug.gif
martinef1963
"The Money Pit!"

This project went well over my projected budget. What I'll do in the near future is give a break down of cost for people that have never and are thinking about rebuilding a T-4 engine.

I believe the incidentals are what really add up.

Thanks Jay for taking the time to and lending your home for this rebuild. I have to go get ready for my driving.

I'll be getting the beast back late PM today or early AM tomorrow - will post pics.

regards. boldblue.gif

QUOTE(jwalters @ Mar 20 2007, 11:13 PM) *

drunk.gif
Click to view attachment
Done for now - now to wait for Nando's teener to return from paint and body to finish her off....

Nando, got a name for your car yet???

jwalters
biggrin.gif Hey, I got your messege, yes it is ok to pull the pump cover - leave it off, I have two more unused gaskets to replace it with. Cover up all your open holes with plastic or a wad paper towels into all the holes --

I have inventoried all the remaining items and we are good to go for the final countdown.

I found a dyno shop in Opa Locka so we can measure your new engines actual output -

If we can get it done before you go over the road great, if not, well, guess just have to wait...........

beerchug.gif
jwalters
[quote name='martinef1963' date='Mar 21 2007, 06:12 AM' post='877551']
"The Money Pit!"

Do not believe him - He has a better car than I, and I have spent more beans....

(he had a better car to start with tho.. cool_shades.gif )
martinef1963
Money Pit was delivered from the body shop yesterday afternoon. I took some pictures of hell hole. I didn't have time to really inspect the floor pan triangle that R & R. From the top side it looks good, but from the bottom, duno.

The hood and passanger side were worked on also - they did a good job on matching the paint.

Looks like I will have to add several replies to get the pictures uploaded.

Fernando biggrin.gif
martinef1963
Here are some more pixs
martinef1963
I was going to wash the engine bay area and prep for sound/heat pad installation, but the weather here in Miami today has been non stop raining. So I thought I would attach the engine mount brackets to the engine case and found that the left bracket can not be installed without modification. The full flow oil pump doesn't allow room for install. Aside from grinding the right side of the bracket down, are there other bracket applications that would allow for normal installation?

Here are some pictures:

Aaron Cox
where did ya get the 'elbow' for the full flow?
martinef1963
Hi AA - I didn't get it, J picked it up. He would be the source.

regards - Nando

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 22 2007, 03:33 PM) *

jwalters
QUOTE(martinef1963 @ Mar 22 2007, 03:52 PM) *

Hi AA - I didn't get it, J picked it up. He would be the source.

regards - Nando

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 22 2007, 03:33 PM) *

Got it at advance auto parts - on the specialty rack...2.95 can be yours..
jwalters
Damn Nando -- --- --- Ain't gonna do this beer3.gif for at least a week.....oh man.

Work was brutal today -I do not know how I made it through....

Just grind the one side of the mount - there is plenty of steel left over to hold things in place...

Take some photos of the body due - post them, I want to see how it turned out...

Note: laugh.gif I am re-reading all we talked about this am ..... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Man I was some kind of 'tight' last nite............. beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif

Note to self: Never drink gin mixed with coke ever again.....
martinef1963
Gin & Coke - WTF.gif One thing for sure you will learn... barf.gif

So today the sun was out and I got to some engine bay cleaning. I pulled the brittle engine bay rubber off and used POR 15 Marine product to get all the caked up crap from down under.

I rinsed twice, pat dried, and used my Black & Decker garden leaf blower to get all the moisture out.

Here is what it looks like this PM: beer3.gif

rhodyguy
that came out super nice!!!

k
jwalters
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 23 2007, 09:55 PM) *

k

Yea, if it were not for me not[i] being gay...I would have penis envy... huh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
martinef1963
Here are the machined down motor mount. We had to in order to have it work with the full flow oil pump plate. It is a very snug fit though, think I will take it back and have them shave it down just a #$%^ hair - should work.

Here are the pictures: aktion035.gif

jwalters
Is it snug on the nipple huh.gif or the hose huh.gif
martinef1963
I looked like that Peanut guy w/ the dust hanging around him all day long. It was messy, but the end result was well worth it.

POR 15 Marine - is incredible. Once I sprayed it on I could see the stuff working on the grease & grim. It took me no more than about 1 and half hour to get it looking like it does.

beer.gif I'm working on some Samual Adams tonight - I deserve it.

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 23 2007, 09:55 PM) *

k

martinef1963
The "NIPPLE" stones.gif on the hose side it is perfect - I think just a little more, not much should be fine. I think if we leave it like that it will be pushing on the nipple/plate too much.

Your thoughts on that?

QUOTE(jwalters @ Mar 23 2007, 10:11 PM) *

jwalters
QUOTE(martinef1963 @ Mar 23 2007, 10:17 PM) *

The "NIPPLE" stones.gif on the hose side it is perfect - I think just a little more, not much should be fine. I think if we leave it like that it will be pushing on the nipple/plate too much.

Your thoughts on that?

QUOTE(jwalters @ Mar 23 2007, 10:11 PM) *

If it is not touching it now - it never will - you are good to go! drunk.gif
rhodyguy
what's all the weird crap shown in the lip of the engine lid? wax on, wax off.

NOT!!!

k
martinef1963
It's the heat shielding material - the "foily" material on the edge is a bit rusted.

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 24 2007, 12:15 PM) *

what's all the weird crap shown in the lip of the engine lid? wax on, wax off.

NOT!!!

k

martinef1963
Thank God the wife doesn't want to do anything today, but read a book. I woke up today wanting to install the heat shield/sound pad on the firewall. Sooo.......

martinef1963
This one looks beter:

jwalters
QUOTE(martinef1963 @ Mar 24 2007, 03:17 PM) *

This one looks beter:

drunk.gif FARFENNUGENN ! huh.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif

hOORAY, i AM OFF OFF OF wORK -- - -
jwalters
beer3.gif Hey dude, I set all your stuff (Gaskets and oil cooler) out on the workbench for you to grab while on your way... beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif

Man these Sam Adams White Lagers are going down smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth...... beer3.gif
martinef1963
thanks - hey do I need to take the clutch, pressure plate too, or will you bring that down?

I bought & rcvd in the mail today a flywheel holder, so you don't have to bring that down for the final put together.

Don't mix that Samual Adams w/ Gin & Coke or you will surely barf.gif

QUOTE(jwalters @ Mar 24 2007, 08:56 PM) *

beer3.gif Hey dude, I set all your stuff (Gaskets and oil cooler) out on the workbench for you to grab while on your way... beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif

Man these Sam Adams White Lagers are going down smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth...... beer3.gif

jwalters
QUOTE(martinef1963 @ Mar 24 2007, 09:18 PM) *

thanks - hey do I need to take the clutch, pressure plate too, or will you bring that down?

I bought & rcvd in the mail today a flywheel holder, so you don't have to bring that down for the final put together.

Don't mix that Samual Adams w/ Gin & Coke or you will surely barf.gif

QUOTE(jwalters @ Mar 24 2007, 08:56 PM) *

Yea, no, only worry about the gaskets and cooler - I will bring everything else down
914Tom
the revision on my 2.0 hast still to come, so is soak this thread up like nothing.
but one question.
are the pictures in post #24 only on my computer not avial.
space is reserved, but no picture sad.gif

TOM
jwalters
QUOTE(914Tom @ Mar 26 2007, 04:14 PM) *

the revision on my 2.0 hast still to come, so is soak this thread up like nothing.
but one question.
are the pictures in post #24 only on my computer not avial.
space is reserved, but no picture sad.gif

TOM

Hi Tom! bye1.gif

Welcome to the world which changes all ..................

n that post, no, no pictures. I was just faking out a friend is all. There are many, many knowledgeable people here who share very freely. Have no restraint in asking a question, make posts and join the fun.

And remember, WE have seen it all rolleyes.gif >>>>>>> NO question could ever be presumed as stupid,,, anymore, oh we have seen it all. What I am saying is, don'y hold back!
Gint
Great work. And thread too. That engine bay came out really nice.
Aaron Cox
just noticed something....

why didnt you use longer studs on the oil pump, vs using cap screws huh.gif ?

and - what size hose are you ladies using? tongue.gif , like my oil cooler up front, ill be running AN -10 (5/8 ID) hose.... blah blah over kill.

btw - the fittings on your remote filter adapter are 3/8 npt correct? (got a pic?)
addwestern
Nando- Looking very good as you said she would. My compliments to the chef.
martinef1963
Thanks Mike,

The heat/sound pad from Performance Parts wasa bit pricy, but it really worked out well. I used an avionic epoxy to get it to stick w/ out worrying down the line about failure.

She's coming along nicely.

regards,

Nando smile.gif

QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 26 2007, 09:00 PM) *

Great work. And thread too. That engine bay came out really nice.

martinef1963
Aaron - we went looking for longer studs, but couldn't find any on a Sunday. We noticed that the studs were shorter than what we needed that day - as I've learned during this rebuild there is always some surprise, piece missing, wrong thinga ma jig, etc...

Because of Jay's work schedule we only get to work on Sundays - you can imagine my frustration - my teener has been down for a while.....

I believe the house is the same (Jay chime in if I'm wrong here), and yes the filter adapter are 3/8 npc.

thanks,

Fernando

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 26 2007, 11:10 PM) *

just noticed something....

why didnt you use longer studs on the oil pump, vs using cap screws huh.gif ?

and - what size hose are you ladies using? tongue.gif , like my oil cooler up front, ill be running AN -10 (5/8 ID) hose.... blah blah over kill.

btw - the fittings on your remote filter adapter are 3/8 npt correct? (got a pic?)

martinef1963
Click to view attachmentI just rcvd my Cylinder Head Temp Gauge and I am wondering if I was missing something??? dry.gif OR NOT?

I've attached a picture to see if someone could esplain biggrin.gif to me.. Were is the sensor portion of this kit???

confused24.gif Could it be that loop looking thing???
Brian_Boss
That thing that looks like a ring terminal is the sender.
martinef1963
Brian - is it #2 or #3 spark plug hole?

QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Mar 27 2007, 11:08 PM) *

type11969
While you have your engine apart, I suggest notching the spark plug boss where you intend to install that sender . . . it prevents the sender from getting chewed up everytime you pull and replace your sparkplugs. Not a whole lot of room down in that spark plug bore.

Apologies if you already planned on doing that!

-Chris
Brian_Boss
You want to put it on the hottest cylinder. I believe that is #3.

QUOTE(martinef1963 @ Mar 27 2007, 10:14 PM) *

Brian - is it #2 or #3 spark plug hole?

QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Mar 27 2007, 11:08 PM) *

Aaron Cox
^^^^ agree.gif cyl #3.

BTW - can you take a pic of the clearance behind the fan shroud to the elbow? i am wondering if i can put a smooth AN 90 there on a 3/8 npt - AN 10 adapter....

jwalters said something like 2" ?
martinef1963
Okay AA - got rid of my kids today and got to work here are the pictures you requested:

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 28 2007, 01:07 AM) *

^^^^ agree.gif cyl #3.

BTW - can you take a pic of the clearance behind the fan shroud to the elbow? i am wondering if i can put a smooth AN 90 there on a 3/8 npt - AN 10 adapter....

jwalters said something like 2" ?

Aaron Cox
wicked. thanks for that pic!
martinef1963
Sorry bout that AA but they look like they are sideways - here is another. If you want I will PM you the pictures.

Aaron Cox
those were great. thanks!
martinef1963
I also managed to do some engine bay work and added new rubber. SWEEEEETTTTTT.... piratenanner.gif
martinef1963
Today I really was on a roll w/ out the kids around.. I got to put Money Pit together for this Sunday's finally:

jwalters
drunk.gif OK Dude - do you have EVERYTHING together for sunday ??????

Have you checked everything twice and then thrice ??????????????

Got the fuel pump in???? anything else ordered in ????

ARE you missing anything ?????

THINK!!!

Do you have a gas can ??? Filled????

Got the exhaust ready to go in ????

Only a few days left - do as much as you can on your side to ready it - -if you feel froggy go ahead and mount the intake manifolds - and, well, hell, the carbs and anything else - Distributor??? Put motor "straight up" with the timing marks I showed you - the dizzy slot will be.........maybe you should wait for me. chairfall.gif

Have a beer on me - - - and should I bring some...............

jwalters
QUOTE(martinef1963 @ Mar 28 2007, 11:18 PM) *

Today I really was on a roll w/ out the kids around.. I got to put Money Pit together for this Sunday's finally:

You know, looking at the top pic in this post - even your engine is "happy" - I see it is standing to attention!!! huh.gif laugh.gif av-943.gif
jwalters
biggrin.gif Looking good dude - Now that I think about it - IF you had your clutch and pressure plate you could mate the motor and tranny - of well, that will not take long...........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.