Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I bought my roll cage today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
nebreitling
QUOTE(trekkor @ Dec 9 2006, 12:43 PM) *

I want to weld these to the top of the longs.
Also use a matching plate under the car that I can bolt through and weld to the underside.

i don't know exactly what you're describing, but look at JP's pic of his main hoop base plates: that's how i'd do it given that the autopower hoop already has it's own (too small IMHO) mounting plates. also note his plugwelds and perimeter welds. just a warning, it's a bit tricky managing the heat with a mig when welding the plates (thick) to the longs (not so thick).

The tube is 1 3/4" OD and 1/8" wall thickness ( .125" )

cool. thickness is .120 (they don't make .125). total overkill for a full-cage in a 914.

Nate, I would like to get that tube. How long of a piece( s ) do you have?

i'll have to check my pile (later this weekend). i also might have some extra plate for your mounting plates.
SirAndy

Randal, do you have some pics of the knee bar?

i'm not randal, but here's a pic of mine ...

note that it completely fits behid the stock dash, as you can see (actually, you can't see it biggrin.gif ) in the other picture i posted earlier ...

with dash removed ...
Click to view attachment

fuzzy pic of dash subframe ...
Click to view attachment

one more ...
Click to view attachment

smash.gif welder.gif Andy

PS: bolting through the longs will be difficult as they're NOT empty ... you've got the metal parts of the heater tubes in the front and back and inbetween you got the heater mufflers ...
bolting through will destroy them ...
nebreitling
PS: bolting through the longs will be difficult as they're NOT empty ... you've got the metal parts of the heater tubes in the front and back and inbetween you got the heater mufflers ...
bolting through will destroy them ...

agree.gif our resident german is correct.
Trekkor
Thanks for posting those pics, Andy.
Your cage is one of the nicest out there.

I may have a piece of tube custom bent for the knee bar that goes up and out of the way.

What about fabbing a tube that goes over the top of the dash, behind the guage pod and fitted to the contour of the windshield? idea.gif

KT
brant
coming out of lurk mode briefly for your bennefit trekkor:

the rear lower tube is perhaps the most important tube on the entire cage:
Joe Ricard
Brany that is so sweet.
If I were to do a cage it would be just like that only weld in.
brant
Thanks Joe,

it started life as a safety devices bolt in.
(one nice thing about the Safety Devices is that they are lighter and utilize smaller guage seamless tubing)

but now despite those remaining bolts, it is definitely permanent.
most of the foot pads are welded down (the bolts held it in place for welding)
and the front and rear bars are welded in (as well as the side bars)

so it basically will never come out unless something goes seriously wrong and the car is totaled.

brant
Brett W
Hey, Joe, lets do cage for your car. Bring it up and we can do it here.
Trekkor
Looks great Brant, I need to do something like that. clap56.gif

KT
914forme
As always Brant, that is sick!!!

I like the knee bar be welded into the dash area. And I really like your lets incorporated stiffing of the logs with our cage plates. I still like the plates going all the way down to the floor like Brant's rear plate does. You can add a plate under the car if you think you need to, and then the log will not crush under the cage. You could drop a car on it and not crush the logs.

Brant why you like the lower bar so much? I have my ideas, but just want verification.
brant
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 10 2006, 11:50 AM) *

Brant why you like the lower bar so much? I have my ideas, but just want verification.

The rear lower bar (behind the seats) is about safety and not chassis stiffness.

Look at most cages, and all bolt in cages.
If a race 914 is T-boned at the rear edge of the door, the chassis can move in a foot. This observation is based on actual 914 race cars from colorado.

now think about the driver.
the drivers elbow and hip are very much within that crumple zone.

The lower firewall structure is the only thing keeping this from happening on a stock chassis. Its not up to the task. The rear lower bar ties the cage back into itself and adds A LOT of strength and safety.

in my opinion race cars are more likely to get T-boned, then they are to go on their top.
Thus I feel this bar is more important than the hoop parts of the cage from a driver safety standpoint.

brant
DanT
agree.gif Every stockish 914 I have ever seen roll over, the targa bar remained intact so the rear hoop didn't even come into play..the hoop that is important is the windshield hoop for roll overs. smile.gif
Randal

The Engman kit is under an 1/8" thick.

The base of my cage for bolt-in installs is 3/16" thick.
2 1/2"x 5" bolt plates.

I want to weld these to the top of the longs.
Also use a matching plate under the car that I can bolt through and weld to the underside.

The tube is 1 3/4" OD and 1/8" wall thickness ( .125" )

Nate, I would like to get that tube. How long of a piece( s ) do you have?

Randal, do you have some pics of the knee bar?

KT

The cage was put in when the car was stock. As I've said I've never hit the dash bar.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
grantsfo
Thanks Brant and Randal, Those cages look great!
Jeroen
JP, does this mean you cut your windshield?
(maybe I missed the post)

IPB Image
PatW
Not that I know Jack Sh!t anymore but, does anyone bring their 914 to Tony at
TC Design for cage install?
jd74914
i think andy has a tony c cage
Trekkor
Randal does, as well. wink.gif

KT
PatW
I took a ride in Rob Ways car before he sold it.. had a Petty <sp?> Bar installed. Stiff as a board IMHO.
J P Stein
history.
Trekkor
I'm still in the same spot. No cage install as of yet.

Maybe in the next week or two.

KT
DanT
Well Trek, you suck as bad as I do....I have yet to get my motor out...now it looks like it might be a few more weeks before I get it out...

My car might be part of a 914 display at the San Jose Auto Show in mid Jan '07.

Still waiting to get details... smile.gif

Anyway....have a Merry Christmas and I will see you soon... smile.gif

feels familiar here somewhat...
Randal
QUOTE(trekkor @ Dec 11 2006, 02:53 PM) *

Randal does, as well. wink.gif

KT

Trekkor - my cage was built by a guy (Ken Brown) up in Reno that does lots of work on historic racers. Great fabricator.

This was before I knew Tony, which is where I would go now.

Randal
Mueller
QUOTE(PatW @ Dec 11 2006, 02:13 PM) *

Not that I know Jack Sh!t anymore but, does anyone bring their 914 to Tony at
TC Design for cage install?

My old car with the TCDesignfab.com cage (now DarrenD has it)

IPB Image
IPB Image
crash914
Just a comment on crashes...

I did have a head on in my '74. body was tweaked in at least 3 planes...the left from wheel was pushed in at least a foot. Took out my left foot. 1 big screw later it is ok...this was about 14 years ago when I wasn't as smart.

it would be good to have some beef down to keep the wheels from moving to the center line... The dash bar should help, but I would like to see something further forward perhaps at the front of the wheel wells...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.