Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Its the final countdown
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
type11969
Wheel well:

IPB Image

Things I learned today . . . welding under the dash/under the across the car brace is a bitch and you need to make sure you are holding the air nozzle, not the welding gun, before you squeeze the trigger. Finally no longer seeing dots.

-Chris
VaccaRabite
Chris! Congrats on finishing school and being gainfully employed! Feels good, right?!

I owe you a work weekend. Let me know when you want to do it. :-)

Zach
jonferns
Hey Chris,
Philly isn't too far, let me know if you need a hand on a weekend. I'd be glad to shoot down and get some work done! bye1.gif
type11969
Thanks guys, I will definitely take you up on that. I'm thinking once I move to mechanical assembly I'll have a work gathering. I can fit another two 914s in my garage with my Camper out on the street.

I'm hesitant to say that I am pretty much done with the structural repairs on this car . . . ignoring the front suspension mounts that might be tweaked from an old accident . . .

-Chris
DrifterJay
I am curious, what setup are you using for your welding? Standard gas/shielded mig or a flux core setup?
type11969
Shielded MIG. Just ran out of gas tonight . . . puts the damper on the rest of this week. Bah, got plenty of fitting and grinding to do.
type11969
An update:

Progress has been slow, stripped a freebie 914 from a co-worker over a few weeks a month or two back (another shout out of thanks to Rich for helping me with the trailering):

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=116222

Grabbed some good parts off the car, rubber, interior bits, side shift tranny, etc. Fenders weren't as nice as I had hoped, I will probably have to make two good fenders out of the six that I have, but what can you do.

On my 914, I'm almost in a position to start building up the pass fender and putting it back on. I had to rebuild the fender mounting flange since removing the old fender required some "finesse" to beat the braze job a PO did. Regardless, I wanted to finish up engine compartment work first, which includes putting in a new pass side engine shelf. Started cleaning up that area, and found that what I once thought was a good pass side suspension console is actually very much not:

Looks fine, thought I had dodged a bullet, right?

IPB Image

A little wire-wheeling by the brake hose mounting tab reveled some holes:

IPB Image

IPB Image

So I bit the bullet and ordered new metal. Bummed that I have this additional work, but somewhat glad that this happened. It was always going to be a nagging doubt that my console was rusted from the inside out if I didn't dig in. It was interesting to tap with a hammer on the pass vs the drivers console, the pass side definitely sounded much "tinnier".

I tediously cut off the console support overlays (you can see the rust underneath):

IPB Image

The rust seems to mostly be in the lowest part of the console (makes sense), the ear itself "appears" to be rust free. Now I am just waiting for the time to drill out the rest of the spotwelds and get the new unit in:

IPB Image

Those chunks of metal in the above pic are the cut off support overlays.

-Chris

type11969
914 snow:

IPB Image

Good thing I cut off the old ear:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Had to cut out some rusty metal on the long:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Patched:

IPB Image

Bolt on suspension ear?

IPB Image

The welding begins:

IPB Image

-Chris
type11969
Progress:

Prepped inner and outer consoles for the tie pieces

IPB Image

Tie pieces prepped

IPB Image

Console halves tied back together

IPB Image

After lots of stripper, scraping, wire brushing, scrubbing, etc . . . self etching primer!

IPB Image

And to think that I initially pulled the engine waay back when to just replace the engine shelf . . .
VaccaRabite
Nice!

thumb3d.gif

Zach
saigon71
Great work man! beerchug.gif

Our cars are in similar condition. I will be referencing your build thread when I tie my inner & outer console together.

type11969
Its been a long time since I updated this thread, but my 914 has not been forgotten. This thread is now very inappropriately titled because I have moved again and the car still has not gone to the crusher. My 914 is now sitting comfortably in the middle bay of my 3 car garage just outside Philly in NJ - garage has a second floor too. Yeah, bought the garage, and a house came with it. Got all the ladies comfortably in there (funny that my GFs car sits outside and I ride my bike/train to work):

IPB Image

IPB Image

Well, its a little tight, but it will do. Anyway, moved last November, and since then have been swamped with unpacking, house projects, yard maintenance (ick) and work. Recently I've been able to spend some quality time in the garage, got everything set up, did some rewiring, hung some lighting, and yes, even worked on the 914.

I pulled off the driver's side rear fender because a previous owner did a crap, not completed, repair. I don't even have a pic of it, but it involved two pieces of fender stick welded together so I'm sure you can imagine how bad it was. Underneath the fender I found this:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Crappy lap jointed inner fender bit, hidden with bondo in the truck (honestly, who uses bondo in the trunk) and secured with braze. Ick. Fortunately there was enough of an overlap that I could cut the "patch" out without the brazed edge, trim it, and tack it in:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Definitely still have plenty more to do to finish it off, but progress at least.

-Chris
rick 918-S
That looks a million times better already just tacked! popcorn[1].gif
mcbrems
Poor thang.
welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif stirthepot.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.