Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine bay fuel line clamps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2
Cap'n Krusty
Just to throw a philosophical wrench into the works: As I recall, cars that have had the HO campaign will have the smooth hose throughout the engine compartment. If your car has had the campaign, then it has to have that hose to be correct. Whay say you?

The Cap'n
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 3 2007, 01:49 PM) *

Just to throw a philosophical wrench into the works: As I recall, cars that have had the HO campaign will have the smooth hose throughout the engine compartment. If your car has had the campaign, then it has to have that hose to be correct. Whay say you?

The Cap'n

True, I suppose. But what if you want to retro? Since I'm one who believes the campaign was not necessary, if you take proper precautions/care, I'd prefer my 914 to be in as-delivered condition. Never had a problem, though I did have the campaign performed - since gone back to retro. The cobbled up mess of a battery cover did nothing to make a difference, so I went back to original. Nothing on my 914 indicates (other than my records) that the campaign was ever performed.

So, I'll stay with my fuzzy lines. Besides, they match (other than colors) the vacuum lines & I like it.

Curmudgeon? Yeah, you could say that.
Pat
AvalonFal
Anybody else use these BMW hoses on a 914 FI? Do they fit...work OK??
slackin' at work
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Dec 7 2007, 12:12 PM) *

Anybody else use these BMW hoses on a 914 FI? Do they fit...work OK??

I read this thread a week or so ago and saw the BMW hoses. I jumped on
it because they are over $10 cheaper a piece.

I received them the other day and the bend radius is a perfect match.
they are a little longer than original, so I will probably trim them a little
on each end to match the originals. ID seems right-on as well.

I have yet to actually put them into service but that shouldn't be in issue.

all-in-all, I feel like I stumbled onto some good advice from this thread. piratenanner.gif
JFJ914
Another wrench, if originality is of importance, how can you use hose clamps without the VW logo embossed on them? Both the HO radiused clamps and the pre HO flat clamps have "GEMI" , 13, and VW embossed on them. All of the HO hose had VW and the hose size 7 x 3 and date code printed on it. If anal retentivity ( spell that CONCOURS) is the game original means original not Bus Boys, not BMW, not anything but period correct original. Pat has a better chance at original with the fabric covered hose if he sources brand new injectors with the factory crimp and restores ORIGINAL hose clamps w/SILVER cad as the original clanps were silver not gold. I for one cannot be bothered with concours although I do have dealer supplied HO hose, bent elbows and Yellow GEMI 13 (no VW) hose clamps.
euro911
The economic pinch has set in ... the BMW elbows have sky-rocketed to an astounding price of $3.06 each ! laugh.gif

They'll work fine in my old DD (the 'BB') driving.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 23 2008, 10:11 PM) *

The economic pinch has set in ... the BMW elbows have sky-rocketed to an astounding price of $3.06 each ! laugh.gif

Request an update of this factory fuel lines/battery recall.....
idea.gif

So according to the Porsche HO Battery/Fuel Lines Recall posts above - so long as mine never had it done - I can go to my local dealer here in Orange County, CA & have them do it????

[b]Was the guy above successful in having them do his, or did the dealer just waffle & claim that they cannot get the parts? &/or has anyone else been successful recently?[/b] unsure.gif

If they cannot get the Porsche OEM parts, can they be forced to do it under Federal law &/or US-DOT regs. flag.gif & use some of these alt. parts/sources listed here (i.e.: from BMW, AA, PP, Peli, etc.) where OEM/OES parts aren't available to do this recall work?

Anyone here in SoCal want to recommend which local dealer is most HONEST, reliable & does quality work for this type of recall fix? confused24.gif

I'd used Chick Iverson in Newport Beach "back in the day" - but we used to call them "Gyp" Iverson (sp?) for a good reason, and they're no longer the owners. They're now call Newport P/A, & then other local choices are: Circle P/A/VW in Long Beach, & several Rusnak locations - but which one(s) is/are best??

I've owned the 2L since 12/85 (2nd owner - I think), & don't think that it was ever done by the PO/OO. I never did it because I switched to using the sealed batteries when I did my first replacement in 76-77. ...maybe now is the perfect time to "get a round tuit" - because....

Man - this could save me significant dollars in bringing my 73 2L out of storage sine 5/85! I'd only have to replace the rubber fuel lines & parts "north of" the engine bay!

If so - Whooopie! boldblue.gif

And a HUGE THANX to all of you posting on this & the other threads. I've been reading thru all of them as applicable to my project, & have learned so much - parts, alts. sources & techniques, as well as probably saving some coin (& my marriage) in the process. This is a Gold Mine! pray.gif

Someone ought to distill these 10,000's of threads & posts into book form & publish it, & then the proceeds maybe could be used to reduce our (free) dues.....!? biggrin.gif

Of course - something like that could help fund a big annual or biannual event.... idea.gif

A very grateful...
davesprinkle
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Mar 9 2007, 09:29 PM) *

Back to an earlier unanswered question: How do you duplicate the crimped connection to the injector?

Oetiker makes the crimp-on clamps. Every fuel fitting in my entire car, save the two on the fuel filter, is done with these clamps. Due to the different sized lines, you'll need two different clamps. The clamps and the tool are available from McMaster-Carr.

12.3 to 14.5mm clamp McMaster #52545K53 $8.48/25
13.2 to 15.7mm clamp McMaster #52545K54 $8.53/25
side-jaw pincer tool McMaster #6541K69 $24.63/ea

You CW types should be aware that the PNs above are for clamps that are similar to but not exactly the same as the factory clamps. They differ slightly to allow more consistent radial clamping load under the clamping "ear". I believe, though, that McMaster may also sell the std type clamp. Here's a pic. The big size is what I use for the CV boots.
euro911
The clamps on the injectors in our '71 looked different than those. Some of them had the cloth covered hoses, and some just rubber hoses too, so I don't know if they were OEM or not confused24.gif

I used a Dremel tool to cut the 'original'? clamps off when it was time to replace the old hoses.

I didn't even bother to look for that type ... just used the worm screw type (they were German replacement clamps though) ... the same type that were on all the other hoses (at the pump, pressure regulator, etc.)
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 3 2007, 08:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 3 2007, 01:49 PM) *

The Cap'n

True, I suppose. But what if you want to retro? Since I'm one who believes the campaign was not necessary, if you take proper precautions/care, I'd prefer my 914 to be in as-delivered condition. Never had a problem, though I did have the campaign performed - since gone back to retro. The cobbled up mess of a battery cover did nothing to make a difference, so I went back to original. Nothing on my 914 indicates (other than my records) that the campaign was ever performed.

So, I'll stay with my fuzzy lines. Besides, they match (other than colors) the vacuum lines & I like it.

Curmudgeon? Yeah, you could say that.
Pat

As an update on this ancient post, I have bent to safety. Yes, the original battery cover will stay, but the injector elbows are about to be replaced with safer ones.

I bend to safety, since mine are leaking like a sieve! Also have nice, new Witctchunter injectors & seal, so the time is right.
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 6 2009, 01:36 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 23 2008, 10:11 PM) *

Request an update of this factory fuel lines/battery recall.....
idea.gif

So according to the Porsche HO Battery/Fuel Lines Recall posts above - so long as mine never had it done - I can go to my local dealer here in Orange County, CA & have them do it????

[b]Was the guy above successful in having them do his, or did the dealer just waffle & claim that they cannot get the parts? &/or has anyone else been successful recently?[/b] unsure.gif

If they cannot get the Porsche OEM parts, can they be forced to do it under Federal law &/or US-DOT regs. flag.gif & use some of these alt. parts/sources listed here (i.e.: from BMW, AA, PP, Peli, etc.) where OEM/OES parts aren't available to do this recall work?

Anyone here in SoCal want to recommend which local dealer is most HONEST, reliable & does quality work for this type of recall fix? confused24.gif

I'd used Chick Iverson in Newport Beach "back in the day" - but we used to call them "Gyp" Iverson (sp?) for a good reason, and they're no longer the owners. They're now call Newport P/A, & then other local choices are: Circle P/A/VW in Long Beach, & several Rusnak locations - but which one(s) is/are best??

I've owned the 2L since 12/85 (2nd owner - I think), & don't think that it was ever done by the PO/OO. I never did it because I switched to using the sealed batteries when I did my first replacement in 76-77. ...maybe now is the perfect time to "get a round tuit" - because....

Man - this could save me significant dollars in bringing my 73 2L out of storage sine 5/85! I'd only have to replace the rubber fuel lines & parts "north of" the engine bay!

If so - Whooopie! boldblue.gif

And a HUGE THANX to all of you posting on this & the other threads. I've been reading thru all of them as applicable to my project, & have learned so much - parts, alts. sources & techniques, as well as probably saving some coin (& my marriage) in the process. This is a Gold Mine! pray.gif

Someone ought to distill these 10,000's of threads & posts into book form & publish it, & then the proceeds maybe could be used to reduce our (free) dues.....!? biggrin.gif

Of course - something like that could help fund a big annual or biannual event.... idea.gif

A very grateful...

Anybody have some input on having the fuel lines recall work done now & other questions which I posed above? confused24.gif

Mark - you're in SoCal - any reccos for dealer(s) to do a good job on the fuel lines recall at this late date? confused24.gif

Pat - glad to hear your change of heart on this, since many a 914 has been lost to engine bay fires! agree.gif

And that's about the time period since your "curmudgeon" post that it usually takes for the non-campaigned fabric covered lines to fail, altho I'm surprised it did when you've said somewhere that you use the sealed batteries! ...so maybe this indicates a deeper flaw in the OEM lines!? unsure.gif

Thanx!
euro911
Sorry Tom, I can't provide you with any recommendations for repair facilities.

I typically do my own work, mainly because I don't trust any VW dealership's mechanics any further than I can throw them ... they destroyed my wife's 1999 Beetle before it hit 34k miles.

Except for the injector elbows, all the engine bay's top-side hoses on my wife's 71 appear to have been replaced with 'ribbed' rubber hoses. I'm currently replacing what appear to be the original cloth-covered fuel tank and pump hoses, and installing a new tank screen.

As for a VW dealership providing service for a recall that long ago ... all I can say is good luck. They could probably do it, but I'll bet they'll charge you up the arse.

I'm sure someone from the OC area will pop in and recommend some independent repair shops that can do the job for a reasonable price if you don't plan to do it yourself.

Tom_T
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 7 2009, 08:57 PM) *

I typically do my own work, mainly because I don't trust any VW dealership's mechanics any further than I can throw them ... they destroyed my wife's 1999 Beetle before it hit 34k miles.

Except for the injector elbows, all the engine bay's top-side hoses on my wife's 71 appear to have been replaced with 'ribbed' rubber hoses. I'm currently replacing what appear to be the original cloth-covered fuel tank and pump hoses, and installing a new tank screen.

As for a VW dealership providing service for a recall that long ago ... all I can say is good luck. They could probably do it, but I'll bet they'll charge you up the arse.

I'm sure someone from the OC area will pop in and recommend some independent repair shops that can do the job for a reasonable price if you don't plan to do it yourself.

Thanx anyway Ron.

FYI - earlier in this thread someone else had tried to get the Porsche dealership (not VW) in their area to this 914 fuel lines/battery recall for FREE as an ongoing Federal/DOT requirement for any 914 never done.

I was hoping to save some coin by having the dealer do that portion of mine, then I'll have my "regular" mechanic Hans at Hans Imports - who was P-Factory trained on 914s back in the `70s (as well as VW's) - check the dealers work when they change out the other fuel lines not covered.

I could probably do it myself, but am not sure how much I want to tackle on my own with everything else to get this long term storage recovery & body work, & if I did - then I'd have them check my work too.

They've worked on my 914 since I got it in 12/75, & he checked it out & several others before I bought this one. They also have done my 88 Westfalia since new too & all my other cars, and they are a VERY well reputed independent. They do what needs to be done right & stand behind their work, & don't do add-ons to pump up the invoice!

I can highly recommend them if you're ever in need & are anywhere close to Huntington Beach: Hans Imports - 714/960-9000 & 714/536-4000 - ask for Carl or Hans & tell them Tom T. referred you.

Anyway, I'll need to check further on that freebie campaign idea, in order to hopefully offset or reduce some of the significant total costs of getting my `73 2L running again after 24 years stored in my garage!

Best!
Tom
Tom_T
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 7 2009, 09:32 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 7 2009, 08:57 PM) *

Thanx anyway Ron.

FYI - earlier in this thread someone else had tried to get the Porsche dealership (not VW) in their area to this 914 fuel lines/battery recall for FREE as an ongoing Federal/DOT requirement for any 914 never done.

I was hoping to save some coin by having the dealer do that portion of mine, then I'll have my "regular" mechanic Hans at Hans Imports - who was P-Factory trained on 914s back in the `70s (as well as VW's) - check the dealers work when they change out the other fuel lines not covered.

I could probably do it myself, but am not sure how much I want to tackle on my own with everything else to get this long term storage recovery & body work, & if I did - then I'd have them check my work too.

They've worked on my 914 since I got it in 12/75, & he checked it out & several others before I bought this one. They also have done my 88 Westfalia since new too & all my other cars, and they are a VERY well reputed independent. They do what needs to be done right & stand behind their work, & don't do add-ons to pump up the invoice!

I can highly recommend them if you're ever in need & are anywhere close to Huntington Beach: Hans Imports - 714/960-9000 & 714/536-4000 - ask for Carl or Hans & tell them Tom T. referred you.

Anyway, I'll need to check further on that freebie campaign idea, in order to hopefully offset or reduce some of the significant total costs of getting my `73 2L running again after 24 years stored in my garage!

Best!
Tom

OK - I've partially answered my own question on this recall campaign, by asking at Porsche Cars of North America (1-800-PORSCHE & Option #3), after I was referred there by the gal doing my COA. cheer.gif

As I suspected - they're obligated under Federal Law & DOT Regs. to do it - no matter at what point (talk about open-ended liability!?).

They will still do the Fuel Lines & Battery Cover/Pad Recall Campaign at your local Dealership, & the dealer can contact them &/or the Porsche Warranty Dept. there for the parts, which are supposedly still available.

If you call the number above & provide your VIN, they'll check their records, and if it's never been done on your 914 - then you're IN! They'll assign a case number for your car, and assist with getting it done, if you meet resistance at the dealer.

I cannot yet say whether it will get done, nor if it will be good workmanship. Most of the mechanics at dealers weren't even born dry.gif when the 914s were built - let alone work much on them!

So - I'll wait & see..... idea.gif

Let me know if anyone else has had any success? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.