Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you cheat?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
ppickerell
Unfortunately the guy that built my motor is a convicted felon and can't tell me what's in it exactly. stromberg.gif
914wizard
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Mar 13 2007, 08:08 PM) *

Unfortunately the guy that built my motor is a convicted felon and can't tell me what's in it exactly. stromberg.gif

OMG thats funny. biggrin.gif Why is it that throughout history of aircooled Porsches that a small contingent of people fit that description?
JPB
Cheating? If I do, you'll have to figure it out. beer.gif
Nicke Nilsson
Icke sa Nicke....skulle inte falla mig in att fuska..då får man välja en annan klass..Nu sysslar vi med Historisk Racing och då följer vi ju FIAs regler...Basta..
Do you agree..??
BMXerror
QUOTE(theol00 @ Feb 12 2007, 10:18 AM) *

really got a kick out of one "old" chaps comment... " what do you mean ...cheating?...I thought we were racing?...and not trying to go to heaven.."

If that's your attitude then you should go play in NASA's PT Unlimited class. If you think you're that creative an engineer and that good a driver, then be a man and put it out there. Out and out unlimited racing definitely has it's place, but so do performance classifications. IMHO, you're not a man if you sneak around behind everybody's back to win a race in the kiddie pool. That's like an MMA Champion picking fights at a school yard. It doesn't prove a damn thing about you except you're too play with the big boys.... too insecure to compete in a situation where, GOD FORBID, you might lose!
I haven't really had a chance to race yet, but when I do, I'm going to play it strait. I'm confident in my abilities in car preparation, and my potential in driving. I also know that cheating won't allow me to completely meet that potential. I'm confident that WHEN (not if) I lose, it won't completely crush me, because I have more important concerns in my life than what a few local, low budget, amateur racers think of me, and I already know that I'm not important enough for any of them to give a rats ass where I place anyway. My $.02
Mark D.
J P Stein
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Aug 15 2007, 12:13 PM) *

If that's your attitude then you should go play in NASA's PT Unlimited class. If you think you're that creative an engineer and that good a driver, then be a man and put it out there. Out and out unlimited racing definitely has it's place, but so do performance classifications. IMHO, you're not a man if you sneak around behind everybody's back to win a race in the kiddie pool. That's like an MMA Champion picking fights at a school yard. It doesn't prove a damn thing about you except you're too play with the big boys.... too insecure to compete in a situation where, GOD FORBID, you might lose!
I haven't really had a chance to race yet, but when I do, I'm going to play it strait. I'm confident in my abilities in car preparation, and my potential in driving. I also know that cheating won't allow me to completely meet that potential. I'm confident that WHEN (not if) I lose, it won't completely crush me, because I have more important concerns in my life than what a few local, low budget, amateur racers think of me, and I already know that I'm not important enough for any of them to give a rats ass where I place anyway. My $.02
Mark D.

It's nice to think in black & white.
I thought my car might be light for XP but was too lazy to prove it (the old ignorance is bliss defense), so ran most all the season in XP.
Doing the NT event , I had the oportunity to have the car weighed and it was 40 ish pounds light by their scales so then ran EM.....one fella who had weighed their car said the SCCA scales were 50 lbs off..(light)..go figure.
Now one can make a federal case out of my cheating, but remember it when you find yourself just a little bit pregnant.
Joe Ricard
I had my car weighed several times with Truck scale
I had it weighed on a private corner balance scale it jived with my calculations.
I weighed it at the National tour. pretty much jived again +/- a couple pounds. 1743 with about 4 gallons of gas.
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 28 2007, 05:13 PM) *

It's nice to think in black & white.
I thought my car might be light for XP but was too lazy to prove it (the old ignorance is bliss defense), so ran most all the season in XP.
Doing the NT event , I had the oportunity to have the car weighed and it was 40 ish pounds light by their scales so then ran EM.....one fella who had weighed their car said the SCCA scales were 50 lbs off..(light)..go figure.
Now one can make a federal case out of my cheating, but remember it when you find yourself just a little bit pregnant.

JP, I think your safe until SCCA starts testing for steroids.
J P Stein
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 28 2007, 06:49 PM) *

[

JP, I think your safe until SCCA starts testing for steroids.

I'm safe till they start testing for hemorhiods..... icon8.gif
Joe Ricard
If any of you watch F1 you might have noticed that the drivers are required to weigh after the qualifyng effort and after the race. What do they use? Corner balance scale they just stand on one of them with helmet and Hans.
No reason you can't do that when the accuracy of the scale is in question.
hedfurst
Good book by famous all around driver Mark Donahue and ghost writerThe Unfair Advantage. Donahue was the 1st IROC champ. His racing credentials included everything from hill climbs to F1, even competed in stockcars. As an engineer he worked on and drove the Porsche 917. Gives you a good grasp of early motorsports and exploitation of "loopholes." There are reasons why the rules are so stringent.
Brett W
What point do you draw the line between "cheating" and maximum preparation. When you build a car that takes every rule and lack of rule in to account and show up with said car and start whoopin' ass, people will protest. I have seen very few cars that do this, but I see plenty of slower people protesting these cars.
PeeGreen 914
If you wanted to cheat up here you will get caught. I run my car up a class anyway. The people up here know everyones cars rather well, and if anything is done someone hears about it anyway.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Sep 5 2007, 01:24 AM) *

If you wanted to cheat up here you will get caught. I run my car up a class anyway. The people up here know everyones cars rather well, and if anything is done someone hears about it anyway.

Sure, if you farm out your mods. Your classing is pretty simple. My car screams MODIFIED....duh.
If someone asked me what them 2 lumps bolted to the passenger floor are, I'd prolly tell em' "SCCA reqiured footrests".biggrin.gif

Don't matter much, tho. The motor went South today.....no extra holes, but runs bad.
The season is over for us.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 9 2007, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Sep 5 2007, 01:24 AM) *

Sure, if you farm out your mods. Your classing is pretty simple. My car screams MODIFIED....duh.
If someone asked me what them 2 lumps bolted to the passenger floor are, I'd prolly tell em' "SCCA reqiured footrests".biggrin.gif

Don't matter much, tho. The motor went South today.....no extra holes, but runs bad.
The season is over for us.

Sorry to hear that JP. Still would love to have you come up to one of the PCA events in Bremerton. You can codrive my car if you ever want to come.
dinomium
I remember a Side Glances from a few years ago titled Fishing with Dynamite by Peter Egan. I have to say cheating a club level racing is just like cheating at golf. The guy or gal in the mirror knows the true score. If you are ok with that, then the point is REALLY moot!
grantsfo
QUOTE(dinomium @ Mar 4 2008, 11:31 PM) *

I remember a Side Glances from a few years ago titled Fishing with Dynamite by Peter Egan. I have to say cheating a club level racing is just like cheating at golf. The guy or gal in the mirror knows the true score. If you are ok with that, then the point is REALLY moot!

Funny thing is that club racing has become fairly big business for some.
tesserra
Nobody cares if you cheat unless you beat them or start finishing in the top 3.
So if you are a slow driver or your mods are ineffective at lowering your times, go ahead and cheat.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(tesserra @ May 18 2008, 04:59 PM) *

Nobody cares if you cheat unless you beat them or start finishing in the top 3.
So if you are a slow driver or your mods are ineffective at lowering your times, go ahead and cheat.

confused24.gif Why? Wouldn't that add insult to injury?
koozy
I don't cheat and I don't expect to win any races. I just plain stink, but it's fun. Hell, I was stupid enough to do some mods that jumped me up into classes that I will never see mid range. Shoulda stuck with stock but eh... what the hell. Fun, loud and kinda slow. But the loud part makes me think I'm going faster than I really am... ha ha ha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.