Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear trunk torsion bar removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
Does anyone have a link to the posting showing the home-made tool and technique for removing the torsion bars holding the rear trunk?

I need to replace/reweld the trunk hinge bracket. I'm planning to remove the torsion bars, then remove the rest of the old bracket, clean up the old weld and/or any metal missing from the inner fender well, then postion the trunk, with the new bracket attached, and weld the new bracket on.

Any other suggestions, comments, observations, prayers, etc?

Click to view attachment

BTW, the search function doesn't work too well....

-- Rob
degreeoff
I am no expert I only did it once....and that was enough! OK twice. The first time I used a box end wrench with a slot cut in it to pry the bar back and undo the hinge....the second time I actually took the bars off and damn near killed myself I cut the brackets off and stood back.....sheet .....I'll follow this one
ahdoman
Use the JWest trunk pivots (http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/914/pivot.htm) with the stock arms and the Camp914 rear trunk shock kit (http://www.camp914.com/products.html). You won't be sorry. The fit and finish is how it should have been done at the factory! I watched Joe Sharp use his homemade tool to remove my torsion bars and it made my head hurt watching him pull those things off under tension! Be Careful. You might be able to get him to post a pic of how he made his (he's on the NARP website all the time).
914Sixer
I have the factory tool if you want to borrow it. You pay the postage.
LowGT
I removed them with the unbolt nuts and watch it fly method. The bracket actually stuck in the drywall on the ceiling, and I'm really surprised I didn't lose any fingers or eyes. I do not recommend this method. slap.gif
swood
I used the leave bolted on and cut with a sawzall method. The shock of the spring un...um..springing might have been what cracked my windshield, but the jury is still out on that one. blink.gif
boxstr
I have done a few torsion rod removals.
Easy way is remove the engine lid cover. I would also remove the battery it can get in the way when removing the tension rods.
Get a heavy rag or blanket down into the area where the rod when it is sprung loose will come to rest.
Then take a long rod or screwdriver and pry sideways on the tension rod, near the nylon roller until it breaks loose and comes to rest.
Please note, this is very loud and very dangerous. But once you have done one you will say, hey that was fun wheres the next one.
You then remove the 10mm nuts on the brackets and remove the rods.
CCLINTENSIONHEADACHE
Twystd1
I use an Aaron. (It's like a factory TOOL)

I will loan it to you if you pay postage.

Postage is about 600 bucks as Aaron weighs over 230LBs soaking wet out of the shower.

Twystd1
SGB
use a 10-mm ( I think thats the right size) deep well socket on an extension. Slip the socket down as far as possible on the spring, push down enough to clear the roller, push sideways enough to clear the roller as you slowly let up.
SLITS
QUOTE(SGB @ Feb 21 2007, 05:15 AM) *

use a 10-mm ( I think thats the right size) deep well socket on an extension. Slip the socket down as far as possible on the spring, push down enough to clear the roller, push sideways enough to clear the roller as you slowly let up.

agree.gif

#2 method:

Wrap rope around T bar setup to keep them from flying, use an angle grinder to cut the stupid things and install rear shock kit from ??????. No more broken hinges.

The drawing for making the tool (or a tool) is on Pelican Parts site AFAIR
cooltimes
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 21 2007, 07:26 AM) *

QUOTE(SGB @ Feb 21 2007, 05:15 AM) *

agree.gif

#2 method:

Wrap rope around T bar setup to keep them from flying, use an angle grinder to cut the stupid things and install rear shock kit from ??????. No more broken hinges.

The drawing for making the tool (or a tool) is on Pelican Parts site AFAIR

Edited later for reasons of my own.
http://members.rennlist.com/mikecool/rickydo1.gif
http://members.rennlist.com/mikecool/rickydo2.gif
Grimstead
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Feb 21 2007, 12:17 AM) *

I use an Aaron. over 230LBs soaking wet out of the shower.

Twystd1

blink.gif
type47
this it?
cooltimes
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 21 2007, 08:50 AM) *

this it?

That's very like the Porsche factory original but you still have to remove the rear lid to use it.
I think AA and maybe Pelican sells one like that too.
watsonrx13
Thanks to everyone for your recommendations (I'm going to keep the torsion bars) and Mike for the diagram....

Mark, thanks for the offer to borrow yours, you have a PM...

-- Rob
Scott-thundercat
I removed them with the unbolt nuts and watch it fly method. The bracket actually stuck in the drywall on the ceiling, and I'm really surprised I didn't lose any fingers or eyes. I do not recommend this method. slap.gif

yeah i did this too at pick and pull- i damn near broke the tip of my index finger when the last one came loose- it's purple over half way under the nail! man did it sting for about 2 hours and still hurts 2 days later! alfred.gif
ClayPerrine
There is a simpler tool that is probably already in your toolbox, and a classic thread that explains how to use it.

Torsion Bar Re-installation Classic Thread

Hope it helps. But I would seriously suggest one of the JWest hinge kits. They are far better than the factory ones.
Brando
My favorite solution...

Take an angle grinder, cut one end of one tortion bar. Stand back, keep your hands away. Then do the other side. Pick up the debris and remove the bolts holding the brackets for the tortion bars.

Install a camp 914 Trunk Shox kit for the rear smile.gif
highways
I made a tool that worked great. I took about 2' of 1" diameter copper pipe. I cut a rectangular notch in it about an inch and a half from the end of the tube. My notch measured 11/16" and passed halfway through the diameter of the tube. Make sure you cut the notch so it fits snug and deeply on the torsion bar- you don't want any slop. In the end it will very much resemble the official tool. Hold the copper pipe on the torsion bar with tension and use a large screw driver to pry the torsion bar free to the side. Rear trunk lid must be removed. As you bring the torsion bar back to rest you have to rotate the copper tube around the axis a bit. I think I used some large vise grips to hold the torsion bar and slip the copper out at the end. Took two minutes to make the tool and two more minutes to get the torsion bar out.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 20 2007, 09:43 PM) *

I have the factory tool if you want to borrow it. You pay the postage.

I want to publicly thank Mark for the use of his torsion bar tool. It worked very well. I was able to reinstall the torsion bar easily and safely.

It is people like Mark that make this the great BBS that it is.... smilie_pokal.gif

BTW, I didn't need to remove the engine lid or the rear trunk lid, but I did remove the battery....

-- Rob
914Sixer
As soon as the torsion bar tool returns, it will be available for who ever needs it. Let me know. You pay the postage.
Thanks, Mark.
wbergtho
I removed them with the unbolt nuts and watch it fly method. The bracket actually stuck in the drywall on the ceiling, and I'm really surprised I didn't lose any fingers or eyes. I do not recommend this method.

I used the same method and wished I had my full faced racing helmet on. I was utterly freaked out a few seconds after the torsion rods flew all the way across the garage at the speed of light (drywall damaged too). I just couldn't believe how much kinetic energy is stored when you install these rods and give a little twist...HOLY SHIT! Use the tool if you would like to see again...do not use the tool if you want to know what it's like to be Stevie Wonder.
914werke
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 5 2007, 05:47 PM) *

As soon as the torsion bar tool returns, it will be available for who ever needs it. Let me know. You pay the postage.
Thanks, Mark.

Mark let me know when it returns. smile.gif
Im ready to reinstall
Brando
QUOTE(LowGT @ Feb 20 2007, 07:35 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif lol2.gif

that would be the shit to see right there.
Porcharu
QUOTE(LowGT @ Feb 20 2007, 07:35 PM) *

I agree - that method might work but it's going to leave a mark. In my case it was just above my lip. Looked like I lost a bar fight - hurt too. I had no idea those bars were under such tension. This was after the mounts ripped out. I think I would use a sawzall sawzall-smiley.gif and kill the bars then unbolt and toss all of that junk.
Jeffs9146
Classic Tread

Here is the link!
mstein95
I thought I remembered Rhodyguy doing a "how to" on this......

Here's the link Rhodyguy's Rear Torsion Bar Removal in 20 minutes
TargaToy
My dad was just about to utter the word "torsion" in the phrase: Be careful, those springs have a lot of...torsion. ...just as the last thread on the clamping bolt came loose. That was a year ago Labor Day and I STILL can't straighten the thumb on my left hand all the way. huh.gif
steveherman
saw how old this thread is... edit
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.