Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: June 07 EXCELLENCE MAG (shocking 914 news)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
TJB/914
Got my June 2007 EXCELLENCE Magazine #156 yesterday and the shocking news is (2) 914 articles, pages 114 to 120 and pages 177 to 180. We all owe Pete @ EXCELLENCE a word of thanks. The Keith Wilson 914 with a WRX Subaru motor is a must read. Well written and the pictures are awsome. I hung on every word & want one of these beasts. Lots of how-to's & mention of vendors we know. The other 914 article is Project 914 3.6 Part #3. Our 914's are now main stream "got to have one" cars. Current prices will never be the same, get one now while prices are low. w00t.gif

Thanks EXCELLENCE pray.gif my favorite Porsche magazine.

Tom
BTW: I know someone will ask to post on this forum, but you can't. Just go out and buy EXCELLENCE or get a subscription.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 24 2007, 05:52 AM) *

Got my June 2007 EXCELLENCE Magazine #156 yesterday and the shocking news is (2) 914 articles, pages 114 to 120 and pages 177 to 180. We all owe Pete @ EXCELLENCE a word of thanks. The Keith Wilson 914 with a WRX Subaru motor is a must read. Well written and the pictures are awsome. I hung on every word & want one of these beasts. Lots of how-to's & mention of vendors we know. The other 914 article is Project 914 3.6 Part #3. Our 914's are now main stream "got to have one" cars. Current prices will never be the same, get one now while prices are low. w00t.gif

Thanks EXCELLENCE pray.gif my favorite Porsche magazine.

Tom
BTW: I know someone will ask to post on this forum, but you can't. Just go out and buy EXCELLENCE or get a subscription.

agree.gif thumb3d.gif
Ferg
thumb3d.gif To Pete for the continued 914 coverage

and thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif to Keith for building a bad ass ride.

Ferg
Eric_Shea
Pete rocks.
i love porsche
i was excited to see those articles...they are definetly must reads
horizontally-opposed

Aw, shucks. We need a blush smilie, so I'll just rock this macananner thing instead. dancinnanner.gif

happy11.gif

Thanks gotta go to Keith for building that fine-looking machine and to Paul for actually doing the work to document his project correctly to a publishable standard. That ain't simple. Or easy.

As for me? I was thinking of y'all on Sunday, when I finally got around to making a set of GT floormats. Both easier and harder than a I thought. I'll post pics and some thoughts later today (hopefullly).

Cheers!

pete

red914.jpg
Eric_Shea
I was thinking of y'all on Sunday, when I finally got around to making a set of GT floormats

Youz was bugging me to do that... Morph made a set for that are stunning. I'll get some pics tonight as well. wink.gif
hars914
I myself was not happy with the article. I did not like seeing a Subaru powered
914 in a Porsche only magazine. I know as a fact there are many 914's
a hell of a lot nicer with porsche powerplants. I have been a subscriber to this
magazine since day one. I still have issue number 1. I recently sold my 1971
2.4L six 914 which would have put this car to shame. I also have talked to
fellow 914 owners who are also upset with Excellence for writing this
article. All this time I thought this magazine was about Porsche and only Porsche.
Just my 2 cents.
Chris Pincetich
Keith was sayin they were gonna MAKE him switch to Fuchs for an article he would be in with that award winning 914. I can't wait to get my mag and see....might be kinda cool with Fuchs instead. That is one awesome ride, he won BEST in SHOW (mid engine only?) at GAF 2006 over Dan C's red racer 914 #555...people like that silver WRX logo and thaw wicked bodywork.

I drive a Suby wagon and my 914...some day soon I hope my Suby gets rear-ended, totaled, I get insurance $$$ and salvage it, then do the swap, all paid for by the insurance beerchug.gif
nein14
agree.gif with hars914, I also have been a log time subscriber to EXCELLENCE and Iam disappointed in a feature article about a hybrid.

Even through I sure the Suby Hybrid is a nice car (from the pics) it's no longer a true Porsche that was built with factory parts.

I am all for Porsche resto-mod cars that are early vehicles with modern technology Porsche power plant like the 918 alien.

I also think there are a lot of other 914 , 911 and 356's that deserve a shot a feature article in EXCELLENCE before a hybrid.
grantsfo
Isnt Excellence a Porsche magazine? Why would I want to read about a Subaru powered VW?
nein14
Hey hars914 how about some pics of your car? smile.gif
So.Cal.914
Just my opinion but you can weld a jet engine on to the top of any car and it

will go fast, but if you try to take it off a straight course and put it on a road course

it's useless. The engine makes a big difference but if the car is not up to the job

it won't handle worth a damn. You can put anything in a Porsche and for the most

part it is going to handle better than most. Not many car companys can say that,

it is a testament to the superiority of the design of the suspension we ride on.

I am no fan of anything other than a H/O engine in our cars but some of these

Guys have built some fine machines. Maybe a break is in order.
nein14
WTF.gif No one has made any negative statements about the Suby conversion 914 that is in EXCELLENCE as I stated before it looks like a nice car.

However EXCELLENCE as the cover of the magzine states " The Magazine About Porsches" not "PORSUBIES " beer.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(nein14 @ Apr 24 2007, 02:13 PM) *

WTF.gif No one has made any negative statements about the Suby conversion 914 that is in EXCELLENCE as I stated before it looks like a nice car.

However EXCELLENCE as the cover of the magzine states " The Magazine About Porsches" not "PORSUBIES " beer.gif

Like I said it's my opinion, one that Excellence seems to share. And you have yours. WTF.gif
McMark
Yeah, and who wrote all those articles about VW powered 914s? There should only be 914/6s in there. rolleyes.gif Gimme a break.
Eric_Shea
I "thought" the Subie engine "was" a Porsche design... confused24.gif
byndbad914
The car may say Porsche on the engine cover, but we essentially have hybrids as it is. I have subscribed to Excellence since I got into 914s in the mid-90s and tend to peruse the mag looking for 914 articles or cool old-skool track 911s and that is about it anyway laugh.gif The fact the Suby is really (as noted in the read) a logical extension of the old air-cooled VW T4s makes it a great swap IMO and still worthy of being considered for an enthusiasts' magazine.

Hard thing about opinions... everyone has one beerchug.gif

simple equation.. 914 = NARP. Hopefully they don't remove all the 914s from future press after this discussion...

popcorn[1].gif poke.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(nein14 @ Apr 24 2007, 12:59 PM) *

agree.gif with hars914, I also have been a log time subscriber to EXCELLENCE and Iam disappointed in a feature article about a hybrid.

Even through I sure the Suby Hybrid is a nice car (from the pics) it's no longer a true Porsche that was built with factory parts.

I am all for Porsche resto-mod cars that are early vehicles with modern technology Porsche power plant like the 918 alien.

I also think there are a lot of other 914 , 911 and 356's that deserve a shot a feature article in EXCELLENCE before a hybrid.

Doubtless, there will be many more offended by the mere presence of an article on a Subie-powered Porsche. Article is written in such a way as to address their concerns, too. But really, aren't you at least interested in knowing more about it, if only to bolster your position against it?

And what about the 993-powered, FABCAR-built (of 962 fame) VW bus we did a few years ago? Or the 928s rebodied in Germany to look like A1 Golfs? Or the multiple 356 and 550 replicas?

I guess I'd say: it's ONE article out of 135-160 a year. Gee, I hope we won't lose TOO many subscribers for this one... blink.gif

But then you know what they say about operating out of fear...

pete
TravisNeff
I thought the article was great. I also liked the fact that you gave the opportunity to show everyone something new. How many 914-6's can you see before you just skim the article for content? This one, for sure got everyone reading page for page.
Eric_Shea
Dr. Ferdinand Porsche originally designed the engine. NSU acquired the rights to the engine and sold the design with a car called the Type 32, which was also designed by Dr. Porsche, to a Japanese company (I don't know which company, but some say it was Mazda). Subaru (Fuji Heavy industries) acquired the design and rights from this company.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 24 2007, 05:51 PM) *

Yeah, and who wrote all those articles about VW powered 914s? There should only be 914/6s in there. rolleyes.gif Gimme a break.

Would that mean no 356s', 912s' or 924s'? happy11.gif

cool_shades.gif
TonyAKAVW
I'll have to pick up a copy and check out the article. Sounds like a good read. As to the issue of whether its a Porsche any more, I personally don't care. (as you might imagine). I'm just glad that the conversions are getting more press. This will definitely increase the popularity of the conversion and that can only help 914s in general.

-Tony
TJB/914
Wow, I can't believe anyone would have a negitive comment. It's sad to see young minds that can't accept change. They never read the article and condem the article. Some people get up in the morning cranky and stay that way through out life. I'd bet EXCELLENCE picks up addtional readers with this article & challenges other's to build more hi-breds. In my opinion this is a great read and the future of our sport. Change is what wins races. The engineering that went into this 914 was well thought out and so are the results. pray.gif

T
BTW: The other EXCELLENCE articles are also great (all Porsche)!!! I stayed up late last night reading every page.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(hars914 @ Apr 24 2007, 12:21 PM) *

I myself was not happy with the article. I did not like seeing a Subaru powered
914 in a Porsche only magazine. I know as a fact there are many 914's
a hell of a lot nicer with porsche powerplants. I have been a subscriber to this
magazine since day one. I still have issue number 1. I recently sold my 1971
2.4L six 914 which would have put this car to shame. I also have talked to
fellow 914 owners who are also upset with Excellence for writing this
article. All this time I thought this magazine was about Porsche and only Porsche.
Just my 2 cents.

I totally agree. Although an outstanding effort, and a great article for a car magazine, (and believe me we need more 914 articles!!!) Guess you all heard that Motor Trend classic has gottem the axe before the article about the 914 import car of the year was in there!!! But Excellence the magazine TOTALLY dedicated to Porsche surely could find a more appropriate 914 article to publish!
At least though they are putting more 914 articles in the mag (as a caveat)!!!!
914-8
Props for running the article.

The 914 has been around for almost 40 years now, and a lot of it is because it has ALWAYS been a car that enthusiasts have bought, customized and enjoyed.

That is deeply part of the 914 heritage.

These engine conversions make for great, fun, exciting cars, with modern performance potential, which are not only fun to drive, but really fun to own, engineer, tinker with, etc. That is what 914s have always been about - being different, doing your own thing, and having FUN.

The conversions have also breathed quite a bit of life into the 914 community, and are growing in popularity. They are helping to keep these old cars fresh and relevant. They are yet another chapter in the long, colorful history of the 914, and one that is properly addressed by excellence.

Good job, Pete! beer.gif
jd74914
agree.gif Thats what makes 914s special. They are prefect for modernizing and customizing.

Now I can't wait to buy the magazine and read it smile.gif
Chuck
I can understand the point of view of the purists. But, many Porsche designs have been and continue to be hybrids. As someone else pointed out, what about the 356 and the 924? And, if applying the same logic, does that mean that the new VR6 powered Cayenne is not really a Porsche?

I just bought my first 914 a few weeks ago. I've wanted one for over 15 years, long before the Subie swap option was even possible. This car will be getting a Posche designed/derivate 2.0l turbocharged Subaru. biggrin.gif
fiid
No negative comments here.

As for what constitutes a real porsche? I like a good Roquefort, Camembert, Chardonnay or Cabernet Sauvignon as much as the next guy, but this argument is far to whine and cheesey for me. Porsches were originally built from the VW parts bin, Subarus were also built from the VW parts bin. The Cheyenne shares it's floorpan, body and engine with VW. Corvettes were improved substantially by Lotus in the 90s. (and before). There are all kinds of relationships between car companies... You can be a Porschephile and still appreciate the other things out there. Just my far too accepting, tolerant 2 cents. I'm also biased since I also have a subie powered 914 smile.gif

Where does one go to buy a copy of Excellence from a newstand around SF - I haven't seen it anywhere.....??????

JPB
Thats AWSOME!!! Anything about a 914 is considered sacred and am giving a HUGE thanks to those who makes them stand out from the metal trash heaps of the world!

Long live the 914 in all its forms smilie_pokal.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(fiid @ Apr 24 2007, 06:43 PM) *

Where does one go to buy a copy of Excellence from a newstand around SF - I haven't seen it anywhere.....??????

EDIT: Argh. I guess I can't hang around here and put my personal opinions on the line here, either. Next time someone tells you to "do what you love," think carefully about it. There are ups AND downs to it.

Fiid, you can find Excellence at any of the big bookstores or on most larger newsstands in the city. Smoke Signals on Polk is a good one. BUT, I'll trade you a copy or two for a ride in that Subie 914 of yours... biggrin.gif

pete
grantsfo
If Excellence is going to open up magazine to Subaru powered VW's they should also cover Porsche powered VW's like this 993 powered Karmann Ghia. At least it has more Porsche heritage than a water cooled Japanese powered VW.

IPB Image

When I read a spendy magazine called Excellence I expect to see ...well Excellence. Sorry but its pure Porsche only for me when I spend big dollars for a Porsche publication. Whats next for them T4 powered Fiats? dry.gif I'm cancelling my subscription in protest.
jonferns
I definetly enjoy reading excellence, cover-to-cover....just would love to see more 914 articles, and stuff...biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
To those who've made "period" changes the 914 motive power designed by the factory - I compliment you. Not for me, but I understand styuffing more power into the little beast. By this, I mean stuffing 911 engines/912 engines into 914's. They work, they can fit,.....and they are Porsche.

To the rest, well....you know I'm opinionated. If it isn't original, or restored to such, it's just a kit car.

I could care less if the subie motor was a Porsche design. Doesn't belong in a 914. Go ahead, wrench one in. Have fun for 2 years & try to sell it. It stopped being a 914 when you ruined it. May as well have a Chevy 350 in it. Regardless, it's a bastard of a bastard child. You don't get it? The 914 was a bastard from day one, with it's VW motor in it. So, now you make it even worse by stuffing a water cooled motor in it, non-Porsche at that?

Nice thing about this country - you can do or say what they heck you want (and I AM a proponent of that). Just don't try to convince me that a subie/chevy/ford powered 914 is a classic. NOT!

This article is why I dropped excellence 15 years ago. It's not a Porsche mag - it's tuner mag.

To those I've alienated......hope we can still be friends. You are what you are - I am what I am. And, I'm as much a Purist as I can be.

Let's see how much Barrett-Jackson sells my 914 for when I'm 80, compared to yours!

Oooh man, am I gonna open the floadgates here! Tough, it's who I am!
Pat
jonferns
i agree, partially...i like excellence, because it is majorly about porsche...I definetly dislike articles like the suby-powered 914, just because it isnt porsche....it changes the marque of Porsche...if you want a subaru, go ahead, but dont go trying to change the face of 914....no offense to anyone....biggrin.gif
woobn8r
Maybe EXCELLENCE should purge all 924/944/951 articles...aren't they really AUDIs ....what about the Cayanne....VW? What's left to write about...

Give me a break, EXCELLENCE is a fantastic mag...(my favorite) and does a grat job on all things that interest "PORSCHE" people.

Auto Manufacturers are incestious at the best of times...what's wrong with a private conversion?

My .02 cents (Canadian)
TonyAKAVW
I've got to say I'm not really surprised to see so many people disliking the Subaru conversions. I think there are a number of 'camps' in this, those who like the 914 because its a classic Porsche (i.e. status symbol, design, performance, heritage, history, etc) and restore them to original etc. Then there's the camp who like the 914 because its a cheap fun to drive mid engine sports car. For those, it doesn't matter what engine is in it, or really whether its even a Porsche. The fact is, there are different opinions. Not a problem.

The objection from the purists seems to be that Excellence is a Porsche magazine and that it should cater to only the purists. There are a great many people who own, appreciate, or have interests in Porsches that are not purists. So here's my question... Does a Porsche magazine have to be a purists magazine to be worthy of reading by Porsche purists? Because if you go down that road, the 914 shouldn't receive much attention at all. Maybe as much as the 924.

So my guess is that Excellence may lose a few purists, but they will likely gain a whole lot more readers who are interested in Porsches, but not fanatical about the purity of their essence.

-Tony
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Apr 24 2007, 08:42 PM) *

Maybe EXCELLENCE should purge all 924/944/951 articles...aren't they really AUDIs ....what about the Cayanne....VW? What's left to write about...

Give me a break, EXCELLENCE is a fantastic mag...(my favorite) and does a grat job on all things that interest "PORSCHE" people.

Auto Manufacturers are incestious at the best of times...what's wrong with a private conversion?

My .02 cents (Canadian)

Nothing wrong at all with private conversation. You're correct about 924/944/951 & some others. Excuse me if I skip the Cayenne.

My point is, the 914 was a hybrid to start with. Why try to make it something even worse, AND, something it was never intended to be?

I have no problem with anyone who wants to do anything with a 914. Just don't call it a Porsche if it has something less than a Porsche motor/mechanicals in it. It's barely a Porsche to start with!
orthobiz
I think the controversy is great. The 914 is all about PASSION. My buddy is rebuilding a Jag E-type convertible. He says 80 percent of the Jag people want to just drive and look good, 20 percent go under the hood. For the 914, he figures it's the other way around. 914'ers just can't HELP but tinker with the damn thing, routing wires for amps and cutting holes for speakers, electric motors, messing with bigger engines, different brakes, what have you.

I haven't read EXCELLENCE for years but I do follow stereo (like, two speakers, one for each ear) equipment and music as best I can. What happened to Stereo Review was pitiful. Totally eviscerated, now it's some kinda video equipment magazine that in no way resembles the original. It just couldn't keep the original readership so it sold out and changed completely. So I read Stereophile and Absolute Sound instead. And yeah, they have articles about surround sound and iPods and clock radios on occasion. But they do stay faithful to the basic audio message. And I MARVEL when people write letters to the editor that they're cancelling their subscription because of one off-beat article or one nappy-headed comment. It's once again all about PASSION.

Heck, I told my buddies I was buying another 914 and all they could say was WHY? Why not a 911? All we ever do is deflect criticism even 30 years later. But our passion for the little bugger lives on. So I say, let the occasional "nonpurist" article sneak in here and there in your fav magazine. Roll with the punches. IF they sell out, it'll be a real shame. And go ahead, cancel your subscription if you want. PM me and you can forward the rest of your issues to me!

Paul
rick 918-S
Hey Pat, I may take you up on that challange... idea.gif Seriously, Imagine what I've done. Took the shell of one bastard child and added the engine from another. huh.gif I'm doomed unsure.gif

And for the guys that are willing to throw the baby out with the bath water I say your loss. Were lucky to have friends at Exellence Magazine. There are so many of these cars guys are cutting them up for scrape. Nice to see them saved in any form.

I hope you whine and cheesers wouldn't exclude any of us conversion guys from any of your events. We are all enthusists with passion and soul and a love for a little car no one wanted to claim for years. Enjoy the passion and promote your fellow enthusist. Be a friend. assimilate.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 24 2007, 07:24 PM) *

Sorry but its pure Porsche only for me when I spend big dollars for a Porsche publication.

I'm cancelling my subscription in protest.

$23 a year for 1800 pages is "spendy?" confused24.gif

And I am blown away that you'd cancel your subscription over one article out of so many in a year. What a bummer!!! sad.gif

Just because a magazine covers something doesn't mean that it's ramming it down your throat (or even that the magazine is "on board with it"). We're simply presenting someone else's idea, event, or creation (it's called coverage) and giving you information to either question or solidify your position.

Good grief! Excellence has NEVER been a "purist's magazine" -- it has always tried to have something for everyone who likes Porsches. It's about variety. New models, old models, racing, technical, project cars, events, restoration, how-tos, etc.

And, to my knowlege, it has yet to "sell out," either. The day it does, or has to, I am gone.
boxstr
I think any article in a major publication about the 914 in any form is better than none at all. And that is what people have been bitching about for years." What about us, what about the 914, all you write about are 911s or 930s or whatever."
CCLIN914NATION
914-8
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 24 2007, 07:14 PM) *

EDIT: Argh. I guess I can't hang around here and put my personal opinions on the line here, either. Next time someone tells you to "do what you love," think carefully about it. There are ups AND downs to it.

Why do you say that?

It would be a shame if you felt like you can't hang around and put your personal opinions on the line here.

That'd be a real loss for this site, hopefully a few malcontents don't have the power to cause that to happen.
flesburg
I want to add my 2cents worth.

I am green with envy everytime I drive a turbo Subi at a DE event, or instruct in one. What an engine!

I would want one if it were not so friggin ugly...but mechanically it is a delight.

An engine like that deserves a better looking body. It truly is the engine porsche should have built, and installed in a little light car like the 914 instead of the boxter as an entry level car. I really think they need an entry level car for 20 and 30 year olds that is not used, to create a future demand for the much more expensive cars they build.

I applaud creativity. When I put a 1987 3.2 Liter 911 engine in a 914 back in 1990, I think I was one of the first to do so, and gee it was fun to be so different. My "dream" conversion would be a "water pumper" bone stock GT3 engine in a 914. Almost as bad as using a subi engine at probably ten times the cost.

Don't be too critical of creativity guys. Porsche thinks its future is with trucks and 4 door sedans. And their new "sports cars" are out of the financial reach of most of us.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(914-8 @ Apr 24 2007, 08:37 PM) *

Why do you say that?

It would be a shame if you felt like you can't hang around and put your personal opinions on the line here.

That'd be a real loss for this site, hopefully a few malcontents don't have the power to cause that to happen.

agree.gif I guess we have to take the whine with the cheese, but we don't

have to take them personally. They are our alter ego and we are theirs, and like

any other brothers we are going to have disagreements. But don't take it

seriously.
TJB/914
QUOTE(914-8 @ Apr 24 2007, 07:37 PM) *

Why do you say that?

agree.gif Leadership is a difficult thing & you can't make everyone happy. It's great to have this type of discussion about our loved 914's. I respect people like George @ AA & Pat Garvey's opinion. I know they have the same passion for our 914's & will always be a part of this forum (stock or modified).
Please continue to feature 914's and stick around with this crazy family.

T
BTW: To my buddy Pat, I'll buy you a beer some day & promise to put only NOS parts on my 914.
Johny Blackstain
I must make a hypocrite of myself & raise the question "What is Pure"? The old man stuck his engineering gift into many marques & his company has continued his legacy (no Subaru pun intended). Example: do we consider all Harley Davidson V-Rods Porsches' now? Excellence is a magazine about Porsche cars... nowhere does it say "pure" Porsche cars. If you apply that standard all the way back to the beginning then the 1st real Porsche would be the 550, w/ its non-VW carrera 4 engine. All 356s' & 912s' are VW powered, the 924, not the S, is Audi powered, some Cayennes' are VW powered & the vast majority of 914s' were Vee Wee powered. The distain I feel for Porscharus or Porchevs not fair to the hard work & fine craftsmanship put into those conversions, just "breedism" plain & simple. But we're talking about cars here, not people so I say Death to Ferrari! biggrin.gif Burn the half breeds! laugh.gif Long live the not so pure marque of Porsche! thumb3d.gif

smoke.gif

GeorgeRud
It's fine that they stray a bit from the purists, and show what can be done with these wonderful machines. No one is going to be doing these sort of things with any of the new Porsches unless they spend megabucks, and isn't the watercooled Boxster engine a bit of a Subaru takeoff anyway?
grantsfo
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 24 2007, 08:22 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 24 2007, 07:24 PM) *

Sorry but its pure Porsche only for me when I spend big dollars for a Porsche publication.

I'm cancelling my subscription in protest.

$23 a year for 1800 pages is "spendy?" confused24.gif

And I am blown away that you'd cancel your subscription over one article out of so many in a year. What a bummer!!! sad.gif

Just because a magazine covers something doesn't mean that it's ramming it down your throat (or even that the magazine is "on board with it"). We're simply presenting someone else's idea, event, or creation (it's called coverage) and giving you information to either question or solidify your position.

Good grief! Excellence has NEVER been a "purist's magazine" -- it has always tried to have something for everyone who likes Porsches. It's about variety. New models, old models, racing, technical, project cars, events, restoration, how-tos, etc.

And, to my knowlege, it has yet to "sell out," either. The day it does, or has to, I am gone.

$19.95 buys me a year of half breed cars on Grassroots Motorsports. http://www.grmotorsports.com/ Sure they'd love to do a 5 page article on a clean subi swap. Better to keep Subi-teen there and reserve space on Excellence for primo vintage 911 RS restorations or an interesting 904 retrospective or maybe a concours 550 Spyder. I'd rather not see Excellence pulled into the gutter of half bree engine swaps. I have coffee table standards afterall. I wouldnt want a guest to my home choking on their brie and crackers when they open Excellence and see some hideous VW swap monster.

Just to clarify I love Subi conversions. I'm just stating my opinion on content I think is appropriate for Excellence. Maybe next Excellence can have 914 babes centerfold? I just hate to see a premium magazine lower their standards.
DanT
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Apr 24 2007, 09:52 PM) *

It's fine that they stray a bit from the purists, and show what can be done with these wonderful machines. No one is going to be doing these sort of things with any of the new Porsches unless they spend megabucks, and isn't the watercooled Boxster engine a bit of a Subaru takeoff anyway?

are you referring to waterboxer engines in Vanagons or are you referring to the motors in the Porsche 986 Boxster?

Subaru bought the rights to the horizontally opposed 4 cylinder engine from Porsche/VW decades ago...IIRC
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.