Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i have to pull the engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TheCabinetmaker
use the jumper cable method to test everything with motor on the floor just to make sure before you reinstall it.
TravisNeff
I just did a bench test on mine, hook the positive charger cable to the lead with the big red wire, hook the ground to the bolt hole for the mount - then short with a screwdriver, the positive lead (big red wire) to the yellow lead (switched lead).
Twystd1
The problem probably isn't the starter section of the starter. it is probably the solenoid section that sits atop the starter.

Me thinks the gears are getting stuck together when you first hit the starter.

I bet ya if you bolt up the starter right now. And give it NO JUICE. (12VDC) the engine will turn fine. But as soon as you hit the starter once with juice. The gears are getting stuck together. And the engine binds.

Please understand that I am just guessing here. But thats what it looks like to me.

clayton
Gint
As long as nothing smashes your face in Kevin, I figure you're ahead of the game. Hang in there. I'm sure you'll get it worked out. And how satisfying will it be when you you do eh? beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
your local FLAPS will test the starter for you..... FREE
Twystd1
The Flaps idea is a good one.

There is one problem with it though.

The Flaps test won't really tell you everything you need to know. As the starter and seloniod isn't under the EXACT same load as when it's in your car with your gear issue. With that exception. it's a good test.

Hell you can hit your starter with jumper cables and your battery and see how it works without a load. (put your foot on it. it likes to rotate)

If'n you didn't have your tranny out already. I would suggest taking your solenoid apart. Cleaning the hell out of it. Lightly lubricate it and throw it back in. Just to see if the gear stick issue would be fixed.

My notion of the gears sticking because of a sticky solenoid is just a guess.
Could also be the starter not having enough umph to spin the motor. That will stick the gears as well. (uneven loading of gear mesh)

Either way... the high torque starter you are borrowing will tell you all that you need to know... (hopefully)

If all else fails.

Hit it with a big hammer...... aktion035.gif chair.gif WTF.gif

Claytonious East of Java.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 8 2007, 10:24 AM) *

got off the phone w/dan root. he's going to mail me a NEW starter (high torque) for test purposes when the engine goes back in.

k

It's on its way as of early this morning. A starter barely fits into the largest flat rate box they have. $8 to ship, cheaper than gas down and back for sure. wink.gif
LS6/914
Crap, Ive been on the train too long again. K, I have a spare high torque, also load tester for the starter. Larry (need a locomotive belching brake smoke smiley)
Root_Werks
Kevin, let me know if you got the starter yet. Interested to see if that did the trick or not.
sixnotfour
Dan he is over here;
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=899998
Root_Werks
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 13 2007, 03:08 PM) *

Thanks Jeff, I am posting there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.