Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Panel Rebuild... And Poll
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
I've got an old pair of some Dr. Evil door panels (thanks again Mike!) that I want to re-cover and use. I've already cut holes for speakers because I like to be able to have good tunes to listen to while breaking the speed limit and cornering hard (or hardly cornering?).

Anyhow, I'm liking the idea of going with black cloth with a thin (1/8") foam under it for a little bit of padding. I'm wanting a clean look so I'll make a pair of leather straps for closing the door and there will be no side pockets.

I might go without the upper shelf area, the padded portion near the window. I'm looking for opinions on how it would look since I'm undecided, and I'd like this to be a little unique. Thanks!Edit: That's wierd, the poll didn't show... Wtf?

Anyhow, here are the options I'm thinking of:

Thick black cloth.
Black Vinyl.
Black leather or suede.
smj
QUOTE(Brando @ May 13 2007, 07:48 PM) *

I might go without the upper shelf area, the padded portion near the window. I'm looking for opinions on how it would look since I'm undecided, and I'd like this to be a little unique.

What's your interior look like now? What do you generally want it to look like?

Without knowing those answers, how about black leather for the top piece right by the window, and black basketweave below? How thick is Dynamat, maybe that could be your 1/8" pad under the basketweave. And maybe body-color piping where the leather and basketweave join.
yarin
speaking of door panels... does anyone make a light hard plastic resin type or vinyl panel? I dont need an arm rest or anything.
toon1
QUOTE(yarin @ May 14 2007, 06:46 PM) *

speaking of door panels... does anyone make a light hard plastic resin type or vinyl panel? I dont need an arm rest or anything.

Morphenspectra make fiberglass panels $70
Grimstead
Whatever you choose, you might want to make sure it is easy to clean (cloth)
beer.gif
johannes
I would keep as close as possible to stock or at least to GT look.
There are already a few threads about this. Look at my panel thread in the "classics" there are informations and links.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=54608

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=46715

http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/porsch...replacement.htm
horizontally-opposed
Has anyone ever looked into making the panels out of sound-deadening material?

Could it be done?

Somehow, I would think Dynamat or something like it covered in the vinyl could be a great way to go?

Or is this a stupid idea?

pete
TravisNeff
Suede, and leather or vinyl for the top edge.
Brando
Okay...

icon_bump.gif

I went to the fabric store yesterday and purchased about 4x2 yards of both thin padding and a thick canvas-like cloth. Very similar in texture to convertible top covering material, except with a different weave pattern. I bought enough to do the door panels, to replace my back pad, the face of the dashboard, center console and eventually to cover a roll cage (when I get one). It will get scotch-gaurded quite a bit. I'm also going to put a plastic backing over the back of the panels this time to help against water soaking into them. I'll also be looking for some of those plasic door sheets most newer cars have nowadays.

I'll start with the door panels; finished gluing the padding down lastnight on one side and the leather for the top portion is flattening out, I decided to use a small segment of black english cowhide that's real smooth. Then I'll move to the center console, which will be drilled for bolts to be run through instead of being held together by flimsy tiny woodscrews. Should offer a nice texture opposed to the stock 'basketweav' which makes me want to barf almost as much as herringbone or houndstooth.
RoninEclipse2G
QUOTE(Brando @ May 18 2007, 11:43 AM) *

Should offer a nice texture opposed to the stock 'basketweav' which makes me want to barf almost as much as herringbone or houndstooth.

+1 that stuff looks just plain ugly! my wife and I are planning on redoing everything in EnduroSuede and black leather (maybe just fresh vinyl instead of leather, cost will determine that) the EnduroSuede will replace all the basketweave
2-OH!
Pete:

I lined the inside of the door (freshly painted) outer skin in Dynamat (top to bottom), then before I put the door panel back on, instead of a plastic liner, I used dynamat again, then installed the finished door panel...

Yes it added a little weight, but on a daily driver, it sure makes the trip quieter...

Door sounds good and solid when closed...

2-OH!
customstarr
I just finished mine (sorry no pics readily available) - I got some really nice vinyl at Joann Fabric of all places - spent about $30 including 3M spray adhesive and staples. I couldn't be happier - I was really surprised by the selection, quality, and price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.