Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JWest Shift Kit Install Part 1: the transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Okay folks, here it is. The pictorial installation of the JWest Shift Kit. Everything went pretty smooth and the setup is real quality. We made a few Original Customs (av-943.gif) to it.

Here is the shifter, ready for modification. Isn't it just begging to be upgraded? happy11.gif
Click to view attachment

First we test fit.
Click to view attachment

Andy marks the holes.
Click to view attachment

See the marking?
Click to view attachment

Here they are...
Click to view attachment

Time out to install the shifter bushing. Grease up the cup.
Click to view attachment

Grease up the shifter ball.
Click to view attachment

Push the bushing onto the ball.
Click to view attachment

We drilled a hole in the bushing to let air escape. MUCH EASIER TO INSTALL!
Click to view attachment

Center punch the markings to keep the drill bit from wandering. Then pre-drill with a small drill bit. The center punch markings are too small for the large drill bit. So make the punches a bit bigger with the small drill (you don't need to go all the way through).
Click to view attachment

Center punches.
Click to view attachment

Start drilling! We used a letter P drill bit which was the Perfect size for a Porsche. av-943.gif
Click to view attachment

Your markings need to be pretty accurate or use a larger drill bit. We had to elongate one hole slightly.
Click to view attachment

The bolts fit though great!
Click to view attachment

Start the bolts.
Click to view attachment

Then tighten with a wrench.
Click to view attachment

Test fit the shift rod through the stock shifter piece.
Click to view attachment

Here it is in place.
Click to view attachment

Custom #1: James supplies a bolt to hold things in place. Andy and I decided to grind a stock cone screw. For only one reason, it's more original. wink.gif The bolt would work fine and doesn't use up an extra 15 minutes.
Click to view attachment

After grinding it threads all the way in and holds firm.
Click to view attachment

Remove the rod again and grease the bushings.
Click to view attachment

Custom #2: We decided to sacrifice Andy's old shifter cover and rivet the 'tube' on the other side of the new one.
Click to view attachment

We sealed it up with RTV.
Click to view attachment

And finally cleaned up the excess once it dried.
Click to view attachment

This is only the beginning:
Click here for part 2
SirAndy
a few comments ....

- the supplied instructions refer to parts (with numbers) in a diagram but no diagram was supplied as reference. blink.gif

- the back hole in the shift cover was a bit off and had to be enlarged for the grey plastic piece to slide in. sawzall-smiley.gif

- the bottom "access" hole for the screw that holds the shift-cupler was a bit off.
it was impossible to use the supplied 13mm bolt as you couldn't get a socket on it.
we used a ground down stock cone-screw instead. smash.gif

- in the end, we decided *not* to use the supplied setup for the end-boot. the grey plastic piece that slides on the end of the shaft was too lose and when we put the boot on it, the boot would pull the grey plastic with it every time the shiftrod was moved backwards.
plus, it was impossible to get a good seal on the shift-cover, especially on the top part, near the outer clamp. dry.gif

- there are three thin washers (or spacers?) that came with the kit that are not mentioned in the instructions. it was not obvious what they are for, so we didn't use them. confused24.gif

as you can see in the pics above, we ended up cutting up my old shift-cover, using the old input piece, flipped it over and riveted (is that a word?) it onto the cover.
we omitted the grey plastic piece and mounted the end-boot the exact same way as the boot on the forward end.
that worked out great! smilie_pokal.gif

then we went on to install the firewall bearing/bushing. more about that in part 2 ...

besides the few little glitches, the kit is going to be schweet!
thumb3d.gif Andy
Dr Evil
Woh! Thats somthing new. I better get on my project before James designs a better one wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 30 2007, 12:22 AM) *

Woh! Thats somthing new.

here's a pic of the kit ...

IPB Image

bye1.gif Andy
JWest

- the supplied instructions refer to parts (with numbers) in a diagram but no diagram was supplied as reference. blink.gif

Yes, the diagram is not done yet, sorry.

- the back hole in the shift cover was a bit off and had to be enlarged for the grey plastic piece to slide in. sawzall-smiley.gif

Each installation will put the rod support in a slightly different position. The cover will deform to allow rotation to line things up. Note that most cars do not have the cover hole lined up over the shift rod, and it is not impoartant as long as it clears. You were probably lining it up exactly on the front side since you had the advantage of doing it with the trans out.

- the bottom "access" hole for the screw that holds the shift-cupler was a bit off.
it was impossible to use the supplied 13mm bolt as you couldn't get a socket on it.
we used a ground down stock cone-screw instead. smash.gif

This may be an issue with having the trans upside-down. The bolt should be accessible if you rotate the linkage away from the trans.

- in the end, we decided *not* to use the supplied setup for the end-boot. the grey plastic piece that slides on the end of the shaft was too lose and when we put the boot on it, the boot would pull the grey plastic with it every time the shiftrod was moved backwards.
plus, it was impossible to get a good seal on the shift-cover, especially on the top part, near the outer clamp. dry.gif

I can increase the interference on that a little bit. The gray plastic part is supposed to be sealed to the boot with silicone - this would hold it in place better and seal the gaps that will be there due to casting and installation differences.

- there are three thin washers (or spacers?) that came with the kit that are not mentioned in the instructions. it was not obvious what they are for, so we didn't use them. confused24.gif

The description was not in the version of instructions I sent you. Those are for shimming the support in case casting inconsistencies cause the shift rod to bind. It works without in most cases, but I included them since the castings are not all the same. The instructions have been updated.

as you can see in the pics above, we ended up cutting up my old shift-cover, using the old input piece, flipped it over and riveted (is that a word?) it onto the cover.
we omitted the grey plastic piece and mounted the end-boot the exact same way as the boot on the forward end.
that worked out great! smilie_pokal.gif

That's nice - good work!

besides the few little glitches, the kit is going to be schweet!
thumb3d.gif Andy

Thanks for the write-up and the feedback!
Aaron Cox
nice work!

when do we find out how good it shifts?
McMark
The motor might go back in the car next week. It'll be a close call for the WCR. We're not going to rush it. But it might just work out... boldblue.gif
racerbvd
QUOTE(McMark @ May 30 2007, 02:15 PM) *

The motor might go back in the car next week. It'll be a close call for the WCR. We're not going to rush it. But it might just work out... boldblue.gif

will it work in a 6??
SirAndy
QUOTE(racerbvd @ May 30 2007, 04:34 PM) *

will it work in a 6??

not sure about "a 6", but it better be working with my 3.6L /6 ...
w00t.gif Andy

URY914
Nice nail. smile.gif
TimT
Nice nail.

av-943.gif

well since somebody else picked up on that/mentioned it. I have suggestion for your box-o-tools. Get a set of "transfer punches" they will very accurateley mark the centers of the holes you want to drill. reducing the need to oval the or hog out the holes. Nice job otherwise

Cheap set

Expensive set

ConeDodger
Mark splits tools between two shops right now. I bet he has had a few "oh that is at the other shop" moments lately.
Nice write up guys. I cannot wait for part two.
McMark
I've been looking for a nice center punch (Why do they all come in a pack with 10 other things I don't need), but the nail was handy. biggrin.gif I was wondering if I was gonna get razzed about that. av-943.gif

Tim, that Snap-On set is nice. I'll have to grab one next time the truck comes around. Very handy!!! I never know about those, but I'm not surprised they exist.
Gint
Did Andy get new boots? Or are those the same old boots with brown polish on top?
pete-stevers
might of missed this detail..is there a new bushing for the engine firewall?
SirAndy
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ May 31 2007, 08:50 AM) *

might of missed this detail..is there a new bushing for the engine firewall?

that will be covered in part #2 of the install ...

and yes, i got new boots!
alfred.gif Andy
drew365
Good thread. I'm anxious to hear how much improvement you feel it makes.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(McMark @ May 30 2007, 12:42 AM) *

Time out to install the shifter bushing. Grease up the cup.
Click to view attachment

If SirAndy is worried about messing up his manicure, I recommend Nitrile gloves. They make hand clean-up faster and no worries about getting/having latex allergies laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ May 31 2007, 09:56 AM) *

If SirAndy is worried about messing up his manicure, I recommend Nitrile gloves. They make hand clean-up faster and no worries about getting/having latex allergies laugh.gif

at least i don't bite my nails ... now that would be ugly ...
biggrin.gif Andy
Borderline
brown boots and Kamo after Easter!!! Major fau pau chairfall.gif chairfall.gif
Dr. Roger
Andy and Mark,

Very nice!

BTW, where do you get your camo pants Andy?

=)

quick progress update:
engine/trans in today with new flywheel ring gear from renegade. button it up tomorrow and fire it off.
only major thing left before the ramble is rear brake caliper rebuild.... oh boy!
URY914
Thier not called "pants" anymore. Thier called just "pant". No I don't know why. Maybe global warming. confused24.gif
effutuo101
QUOTE(Borderline @ May 31 2007, 06:32 PM) *

brown boots and Kamo after Easter!!! Major fau pau chairfall.gif chairfall.gif

Yep, gotta go with black and tan after Easter

Nice work, thank you for the pics
SirAndy

Click here for Part #2 of the install ...

boldblue.gif Andy
DBCooper
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 31 2007, 06:38 PM) *

Thier not called "pants" anymore. Thier called just "pant". No I don't know why. Maybe global warming. confused24.gif

With gas at $3 a gallon you gotta cut back SOMEWHERE. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.