Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stolen 914 on Ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(smokey @ Jul 1 2007, 02:02 AM) *

Ok every one . I am the buyer and seller . my partner and I bought it from a guy in oackland named King . He is the listed Owner . and The CHP telles us we now own it ,(when telling his story to everyone) the Guy who lost the car did not say any thing about that this car has been rereged four times betweenthe time it was so called stollen. I think it was an inside job ,this WORLD travler leaves the car on the street in Oackland and all his FRIENDS know about were this car is.He is gone for months. Look; we did the correct thing buy pulling the car from the Ebay to sell it to this Guy who lost it . . we offer it to him four two thousand.(the amount i have in it ,) we has non contacted us . I guess i thinks the world will just wait for him .. RONG.. Happy bidding all . It is a great car . It s to bad it had to end up on the BAYYYYY. If u dont get pissy with me i will respond to u . Peace Rick smoke.gif

IPB Image
SirAndy
ok, here is something i don't get ...

how can a car be stolen, reported stolen and then show up 12 month later and be legally owned by someone else?

am i the only one who thinks that doesn't make any sense?
confused24.gif Andy
Rusty
I know a pig farmer...

Perhaps my friend would be willing to host a get-together for the eBay seller and the original thief. dry.gif
PeeGreen 914
WTF.gif I don't think the seller gets it. Why should the true owner of the car be able to buy it back for 2,000 when it is rightfully his. It sucks for the seller that he bought a stollen car, but I say fuch him after reading what he posted. He should make every effort to work this out as IT IS STOLEN.
Rusty
The sad thing is that the seller's insurance will probably make him whole, if he bought the car in good faith.

Makes you wonder. dry.gif
smokey
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jul 1 2007, 12:05 PM) *

WTF.gif I don't think the seller gets it. Why should the true owner of the car be able to buy it back for 2,000 when it is rightfully his. It sucks for the seller that he bought a stollen car, but I say fuch him after reading what he posted. He should make every effort to work this out as IT IS STOLEN.

On the contrary , CHP has infomed me that this car was reregestered . Before It was reported stollen . The deadbeat ? owner .was on a World tour , for six months . . . i have a clean cal tital on the car . i bought it legaly , therefore it is NOT stollen ! . BTW thanks for all the threats .with your clamsman mentality. I have been fourthright with this whole fiasco . I have not herd back from this So called owner in over three weeks . The ChP has told me that this car is Leagally Mine . P . S > Every body who is not interested in buying this car , mind ther owwn buisness. Thank You.!!!
Rusty
Well, preventing crime is public business. It's security for our society, Mister Smokey.

I'm sure the Chippies told you exactly what you wanted to hear... based on the story you told them.

If someone sold me a television, but it had been stolen and resold... it's not mine. There's no difference here... except for the difference between our moral outlooks.

I'm sure the rightful (what you called "So called owner") is investigating his legal options and talking to his insurance company.

You must have one bullet-proof conscience to be able to sleep at night. You have a stolen car. Do the right thing... turn it over to the rightful owner and pursue reimbursement from your insurance company or the guy you got this stolen car from.
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(smokey @ Jul 1 2007, 04:41 PM) *

BTW thanks for all the threats .with your clamsman mentality.

huh.gif

IPB Image

SirAndy
QUOTE(Danny_Ocean @ Jul 1 2007, 12:59 PM) *

QUOTE(smokey @ Jul 1 2007, 04:41 PM) *

BTW thanks for all the threats .with your clamsman mentality.

huh.gif

IPB Image

av-943.gif

how did i miss that one?
laugh.gif Andy
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 1 2007, 02:06 PM) *

how can a car be stolen, reported stolen and then show up 12 month later and be legally owned by someone else?

confused24.gif Andy

I concur. We are not hearing a key part of the story (from one side or the other). If the car was actually reported stolen and never recovered, there is no way a title would be re-issued and no way the current owner(s) would remain in possession.

A possible scenario: Insurance company paid off and the car was subsequently recovered (by the towing company?) where it would be reported "recovered". Insurance company doesn't want it back, gives title (or similar document) to towing company. Towing company holds a lien sale and presto..."clean title".

Another scenario: No insurance involved. Car is stolen and, upon recovery, notice is sent to address of last registered owner. Notice never reaches last registered owner (e.g. he moved). Towing company performs lien sale (which also requires noticing previous owner). No response from owner, lien sale creates "clean" title.

I believe if the registered owner at the time of theft made a big enough stink (assuming he wasn't paid by the insurance carrier), he could get the car back. Unfortunately, it sounds like that individual is incommunicado...

idea.gif
Rusty
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 1 2007, 04:03 PM) *

av-943.gif

how did i miss that one?
laugh.gif Andy

Didn't you know? These things are known all over the sea for a bad mentality.

IPB Image
jonferns

Andy

agree.gif
sixnotfour
drunk.gif
PeeGreen 914
No. They already went over that. It may have been on the other site though. I believe that it was a miscomunication between local law enforcement.

And to the seller, we are all just hoping that our fellow member gets taken care of. despite the fact he has been traveling, it is not his fault it was stolen. He did what he could while being gone. Why do you need to sell it so quickly that you cannot wait for another month or two? Are you trying to get rid of it before it bites you? poke.gif
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jul 1 2007, 05:13 PM) *

Are you trying to get rid of it before it bites you?

IPB Image
dakotaewing
QUOTE(smokey @ Jul 1 2007, 03:41 PM) *

On the contrary , CHP has infomed me that this car was reregestered . Before It was reported stollen . The deadbeat ? owner .was on a World tour , for six months . . . i have a clean cal tital on the car . i bought it legaly , therefore it is NOT stollen ! . BTW thanks for all the threats .with your clamsman mentality. I have been fourthright with this whole fiasco . I have not herd back from this So called owner in over three weeks . The ChP has told me that this car is Leagally Mine . P . S > Every body who is not interested in buying this car , mind ther owwn buisness. Thank You.!!!

Smokey -
If you really think that you own this car, then post the contact information of the CHP officer that you are dealing with and his contact information, along with the current DMV report # publicly on this board. The original seller of this car has an impecable long term reputation on this board. The buyer has already stated that there was no insurance to cover his claim.(A long time ago) If he was going to set up a theft of his own vehicle (which you accused him of), he would have also gone to the trouble of having insurance to cover a theft. Also, your claim to currently own the car may be completely invalid, no matter what DMV employee told you, and this is evidenced by other examples of claims posted regarding ownership of specific and infamous vehicles that have been part of the history of this board.

Again, if you really own this car - then post all the information -
If you choose not to post the information, you will be considered a thief by most, and will be treated as such, whether it be the truth or not -

The long term and known users of this board look out for one another - If you thought this was a place where everyone will look the other way, you have made a mistake -

So what is it Smokey, owner or thief ?
majkos
popcorn[1].gif beer3.gif
Dr Evil
Here is what sticks out to me:

1. The title is still in the guys name that Smokey bought it from = curbing/not actually owned by Smokey.

2. According to Smokey, the last guy, King, registered and titled it before it was reported stolen. this seems to give him the idea that this makes it legit. HUGE BS! The ORIGINAL owner (the one it was stolen from) was out of the country (a fact known to Smokey) and thus would have been away for some time before relizing his car was stolen. In this time away the thief/company/who ever could have worked some gymnbastics to re-title it before the actual owner got back from abroad.

It sounds cut and dry that this car was, at the very least, administratively stolen. That point is transparent and Smokey admits to knowing it in his post....and yet he is OK with continuing the sale. WTF.gif
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif WTF.gif Morals and ethics sometimes slip when it comes to doing the RIGHT thing. I hope the right thing is finally done here.
ConeDodger
Ok, so if I follow your logic (which is difficult since I can hardly follow your spelling) then the following scenario should work for me given the if A then B logic model:

My neighbor owns a beautiful '59 Chev' pickup. He is in Iraq. If someone unknown to me rolls the car over on to my property and I notify DMV that I found a '59 Chev' pickup abandoned on the property that I own. I then apply for a title. DMV follows their process and checks the data base only to find the vehicle is no longer on the data base because my neighbor has not registered the vehicle in years, it is also not stolen since my neighbor is in Iraq and wouldn't know the car was gone. DMV issues the title. I own it. CHP will even say I own it. The moral problem is that I know it isn't mine, my neighbor knows it isn't mine. So even if some idiot at DMV says I own it, it doesn't make it right.

The problem that people are trying to help you see is that while you may have a valid claim since you specifically didn't steal it you also aren't standing on moral high ground since you know it was stolen and that a screw up on the part of our amazing DMV which is known for such things allowed you to have a valid claim.

On another site the owner (you know, the one who does have the moral high ground) has said that you came to a deal to sell it to him for what you have in it. I believe that figure was around $2000. A figure I am guessing to be bogus as well since your other moral lapses make you somewhat transparent. Have you contacted him to see why he hasn't gotten back to you? Bottom line is he offered to make you whole which he shouldn't have to do considering he owns it.

To paraphrase your own words when I pointed out to you that the car was stolen, we no longer need you here to explain. Do everyone a favor. Back away from the computer, knock it off the desk, go back to communicating in grunts. You are a bit behind the evolutionary curve.
smokey
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jul 1 2007, 01:49 PM) *

Well, preventing crime is public business. It's security for our society, Mister Smokey.

I'm sure the Chippies told you exactly what you wanted to hear... based on the story you told them.

If someone sold me a television, but it had been stolen and resold... it's not mine. There's no difference here... except for the difference between our moral outlooks.

I'm sure the rightful (what you called "So called owner") is investigating his legal options and talking to his insurance company.

You must have one bullet-proof conscience to be able to sleep at night. You have a stolen car. Do the right thing... turn it over to the rightful owner and pursue reimbursement from your insurance company or the guy you got this stolen car from.

Moral's? What are you people smoking! Have you ever questioned yourselves?

CHP has said the car should never have been reported stolen because it was re-registered to someone else. Ask this Fourm buddy of yours to come clean. The person who states he owns the car cannot produce the paper work. There is so many holes in his story. So you freaks tell me?

P.S. Why am I being judged, juryied and excuted by this 914 thing?

porschecb
I just got a PM from him on the 914CLUB! He is around! He also has a story as of late! You two should be talking soon! BTW whats up with our so called partner?
jonferns

CHP has said the car should never have been reported stolen because it was re-registered to someone else. Ask this Fourm buddy of yours to come clean. The person who states he owns the car cannot produce the paper work. There is so many holes in his story. So you freaks tell me?

u should behead.gif yourself....who you callin freaks??? BTW, finger.gif -JON
Rusty
Up to this point, we've generally been talking about ideas. There's no need for name calling or attacks... it's not called for.

Smokey, Jonathan... please stop.
porschecb
Check out the reply on the 914CLUB. Thie is new!
Dr Evil
Sounds like once the CHP told him he was clear to sel it he decided to renig on making a deal with Aaron. Classy dry.gif
grantsfo
Eye all-wize nu their wer clamsmen hear! biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(smokey @ Jun 30 2007, 10:02 PM) *

Ok every one . I am the buyer and seller . my partner and I bought it from a guy in oackland named King . He is the listed Owner . and The CHP telles us we now own it ,(when telling his story to everyone) the Guy who lost the car did not say any thing about that this car has been rereged four times betweenthe time it was so called stollen. I think it was an inside job ,this WORLD travler leaves the car on the street in Oackland and all his FRIENDS know about were this car is.He is gone for months. Look; we did the correct thing buy pulling the car from the Ebay to sell it to this Guy who lost it . . we offer it to him four two thousand.(the amount i have in it ,) we has non contacted us . I guess i thinks the world will just wait for him .. RONG.. Happy bidding all . It is a great car . It s to bad it had to end up on the BAYYYYY. If u dont get pissy with me i will respond to u . Peace Rick smoke.gif

So the spelling wizard cut this place some slack for a while but he is REALLY PISSED OFF now !!

My
OAKLAND
guy
reregisterd OR re-registerd
stolen
traveler
once again
OAKLAND
I
Wrong
is
you

scotty b
QUOTE(smokey @ Jun 30 2007, 10:14 PM) *

welcome.png Oh, and reed the Ebay add. popcorn[1].gif

READ !!
scotty b
QUOTE(smokey @ Jun 30 2007, 10:17 PM) *

ar15.gif happy11.gif sawzall-smiley.gif Its My snake , " I coaght it , " I kiiled It " " Im gunna eat it " !!!!!!.

caught
killed
gonna
scotty b
QUOTE(smokey @ Jul 1 2007, 12:41 PM) *

informed
reregIsterd
STOLEN headbang.gif headbang.gif
title
STOLEN STOLEN STOLEN chair.gif chair.gif
KLANSMEN
forthright
heard
legaly
everybody (it is ONE word not two !)
own
business
grantsfo
,,,and all this talk about stollen is making me hungry.

IPB Image
scotty b
QUOTE(smokey @ Jul 1 2007, 03:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jul 1 2007, 01:49 PM) *

Who the hell wrote this one for you?? Only issue I have is whether or not " juryied...juried.... is a real word. confused24.gif
scottb
juried: To judge or evaluate by a jury

i am glad i was able to help out.

smokey can't spell, but he does lack integrity.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 1 2007, 04:02 PM) *

Ok, so if I follow your logic (which is difficult since I can hardly follow your spelling) then the following scenario should work for me given the if A then B logic model:

My neighbor owns a beautiful '59 Chev' pickup. He is in Iraq. If someone unknown to me rolls the car over on to my property and I notify DMV that I found a '59 Chev' pickup abandoned on the property that I own. I then apply for a title. DMV follows their process and checks the data base only to find the vehicle is no longer on the data base because my neighbor has not registered the vehicle in years, it is also not stolen since my neighbor is in Iraq and wouldn't know the car was gone. DMV issues the title. I own it. CHP will even say I own it. The moral problem is that I know it isn't mine, my neighbor knows it isn't mine. So even if some idiot at DMV says I own it, it doesn't make it right.

The problem that people are trying to help you see is that while you may have a valid claim since you specifically didn't steal it you also aren't standing on moral high ground since you know it was stolen and that a screw up on the part of our amazing DMV which is known for such things allowed you to have a valid claim.

On another site the owner (you know, the one who does have the moral high ground) has said that you came to a deal to sell it to him for what you have in it. I believe that figure was around $2000. A figure I am guessing to be bogus as well since your other moral lapses make you somewhat transparent. Have you contacted him to see why he hasn't gotten back to you? Bottom line is he offered to make you whole which he shouldn't have to do considering he owns it.

To paraphrase your own words when I pointed out to you that the car was stolen, we no longer need you here to explain. Do everyone a favor. Back away from the computer, knock it off the desk, go back to communicating in grunts. You are a bit behind the evolutionary curve.

Gee Smokey,
Why didn't you respond to my post? Too many words?
dakotaewing
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 1 2007, 11:25 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 1 2007, 04:02 PM) *

Gee Smokey,
Why didn't you respond to my post? Too many words?

Get in line -
I want an answer to my post first -
ammason
Hey all - this is Aaron, the guy that the car was taken from... Wow I didn't even realize this discussion was going on and was just checking the 914club forum. Why didn't you 914club guys tell me smile.gif? Are the two the same?

So for those of you that haven't heard the other side of the story (mine) about what happened, here's the timeline:
  • June 2005: I left Oakland and took my giant Caddy across the country and left the car with a friend of mine in Oakland. I spent 5 months travelling (sailing through the Panama Canal, Egypt, Miami and NY) and it was awesome.
  • October 2005: The car was stolen and registered to a new owner. I was in Costa Rica (and have the passport stamps to prove it).
  • December 2005: I got back from Egypt and went to go pick up the car, only to have my friend tell me it'd been towed. After spending a couple of days looking through local tow yards, I filed a stolen vehicle report with the Oakland PD, which they took without checking to see if it had been re-registered. I had the registration slip in my hand, so they took the report without checking with the DMV. I left my contact info as well as info for a local contact, and moved to Hawaii.
  • January/February 2006: The car was impounded because it was pulled over with a driver without a license. CHP found that there was a stolen vehicle report and aparently (unconfirmed) attempted to contact the previous registered owner. They said they didn't try to contact the Oakland PD or the person who filed the police report. According to the Oakland PD they never heard from the CHP. CHP reported the vehicle recovered (not returned though) while the Oakland PD still had an open stolen vehicle report. They still do.
  • February 2006: The car was issued a new title by Pat's Lein Service in the East Bay and sold by a tow truck company, still with no contact made to the Oakland PD to see who the car was stolen from.
  • 2006-2007: Every week I checked eBay and craigslist looking to see if the car would come up for sale. Maybe that's a bit stalkerish, but it worked. The car has been sold several times, and is now for sale on eBay.
  • June 2007: I found the car and my first call was to the Oakland PD, who said something along the lines of "You found your car? We've still got the report open, we'll go get it and take the current owner in for questioning." They told me to call the ATTF as well, and now as far as I know the CHP officer working on the case, Andy Cosgrove, is retrieving documents from the DMV, CHP, Pat's Lein Service, and the towing company responsible for selling the car. My last two phone calls to him have gone unanswered. Tomorrow I'll open a case with the FBI since CHP seems to be dragging it's feet and internet sales are federal jurisdiction.

When this first started the seller told me he had $2000 invested in the car. I didn't want to see him pay for someone else's crime, and at the same time didn't want him to profit on it either, so I offered to pay him what he had into it and let that be that. Since then (today, actually) he's told me that he bought it to sell for profit, that's what he's going to do, and if I want to bid on eBay that was fine with him. Honestly, there's not that much, save for hiring a lawyer and filing an injunction, that I can do, except keep calling law enforcement at every level and sticking with it for a year or so.

He's got a CHP officer friend who has told him the car is his, end of story. Maybe he's right, maybe he's just telling his friend what he wants to hear; I'm not in the speculation business. I do plan on stepping it up a bit though: perhaps speaking with the FBI, a couple of journalist friends in magazines and local papers, as well as a radio DJ in the BA will scare the CHP/ATTF into taking this a little more seriously.

What I really hope doesn't happen is that whoever buys the car does so without knowing the situation right now, and that Ted takes their check to the bank before the car is returned to me. Perhaps he'll get stuck with a "knowingly selling stolen property" charge pressed by whoever buys the car, I don't know, and after the way he's treated me, it's not really a concern of mine. I'd just like to get my car back. It's regrettable that he's choosing to bring yet another person into the mix by selling it before the dust settles, but again, that's his choice.

I do want to say thanks to everyone for the interest in the car and this whole story - you guys have been great and the support from both smile.gif forums has been incredibly helpful in keeping my spirits up through this mess. I've got a long road ahead, but if I can spend a year and a half not knowing if the car was still in one piece, I can spend another year now that I have names/dates/events. I'll get it back - of that I'm quite confident - but it will take time.

I live rent-free in Hawaii - life is good - and I have the time.

As I've posted on the other board, if any of you guys have any advice, post it here or contact me any time:

Aaron Mason
aaron@aaronmason.com
808-723-5535

1936 S. King St. #203
Honolulu, HI 96826

Thanks again for everything. Aloha!
PeeGreen 914
We all hope everything goes your way Aaron. I know if I was in your situation it would be a hard thing to go through. I am happy to hear you are sticking with it until it is returned to you. Let us know how everything goes.
msglaigaie
So smokey, you are saying the Owner of the 914 had the vehicle unregisterd and was outside the USA. During these conditions someone absconded with his vehicle and registered it, shortly thereafter this villian sold the vehicle to you for US$2000.00 My 914 is currenttly in my garage after receiving a new powerplant and is about to get a floor repair. I travel overseas on a regular basis. I think the Owner of the 914, not you my friend but the Owner should be delivered to your house to pick up the keys.
ammason
Now the seller is offering to sell the car back to me for $1000 more saying:

"This way, I make a little, you make a little and you get your car back."

Sheesh.
tdgray
WOW... go away for a few days and I miss the stromberg.gif
jonferns
popcorn[1].gif
SFOB914
Found this on Craiglist, "King" "Oakland" "Orange 914", maybe found the thief, or at least the guy who started this mess.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/364829751.html
Dr Evil
Craigs list listing has been flagged for removal...Hmmm
SFOB914
Maybe this guy's trying to cover his bootyshake.gif , but I just used the link I provided and it's already been removed, 2 mins. while I was posting this.
Basically, had "another" 914 2.0 he was selling, as clean as the "last orange" one he sold a few mos. ago. His name was King, from East Oakland. Sounded like crackhead, needing some new "gold teef" and other stuff.
Only half read the post quickly before I tried to post it here, (2 mins) used the link to make sure it work, and it was removed.
Or I just thought, was this a joke from someone here? Sorry if it was. There might be some old posts still on Craigslist, as I remember the original ad never had contact info on it.
Bob
rhodyguy
gee...one would think the current owner is in possession of a stolen vehicle. the towing and multitude of owners screwed the dog on this one. not YOUR problem!!! you mght counter offer that you won't press the issue if he returns YOUR property. during negos you might mention the #14 saga and ask him if it's worth jail, the related financial nightmare, and a felony conviction.

k
SFOB914
This guy's been responding to the ad and may have bought it, or knows "king" .

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/364723248.html

Looks like "King" went and deleted all of his ads, but couldn't deleted this guys (above) request for contact info.
Dr Evil
Maybe another stolen 914?
PeeGreen 914
So "Smokey" wants you to pay 3000 for your car? Hmmmm, I say go through everything you are and get it through the proper authorities. He has lost his chance.
Brian Mifsud
is this "King" Boy??
los angeles craigslist > central LA > cars & trucks > VW-Porsche 914/4 Cyl. Targa 1.8 Ltr. Boxer air cooled Middle Engine
VW-Porsche 914/4 Cyl. Targa 1.8 Ltr. Boxer air cooled Middle Engine - $2300

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-362048140@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-06-28, 12:49AM PDT

thank you for your interest, even offering more - who shows up first and pay's cash will take her home: no smog test needed, 205R15 Tires on Rivera Wheels. Go-Cart, pure race car handling, direct steering and road contact. You feel the engine through your spinal cord, as it is right behind your seat, running strong. This car will connect you with framing, wheels, the road, you will experience how it is to drive, not to be driven. Laying on the streets like on railroad tracks. If you are into 5 gear stick shifting it's one of the last real driving experiences you can live for very small money! "King of the Mountains", is this Middle Engine Racer called after it successes. It needs a new clutch now, original color is orange, faded, very little dents, scratches, superficial rust outside and where the battery is, very good body to repaint, driver seat worn out where you slip in on the left side, original interior has little cracks, rips, tears here and there, I am second owner since 1995, technical it was always taken care of this Canyon Glider, it is not a clean show car right now, been out in the streets, driven Targa by day and night, dashing down the curvy Freeways, you can have a lot of fun with her, yes: please call me only if you really want to buy & pay cash: 323 469 3452 No other calls, please respect my privacy, thank you very much -

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.