Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How old are you?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
LarryR
at the ripe old age of 37 I am old enough to know better than to fool around with porsches... but still to young to care since I own 3.

I have to admit I am strongly considering dumping them all for a z06 corvette that will do everything I want but I guess a 3.6 911 , a v8 914 and who knows what I will do with that sc is much mor fun.

beerchug.gif

I guess anyone can just buy a finished product but it takes an aged gear head to build thier own and walk their own path beer3.gif or is the brain starting to go smile.gif
bigkensteele
I am 38. I own a 911 and my 914, and I don't have time for either of them thanks to my two daughters who are 5 and 1. There are also the house projects and all the other crap that comes with this age.

I believe that the ideal age to own a 914 is 22 to 28 (when most people have plenty of time and a little money) or 45 to ? (when most people have a little time and plenty of money). If you get married and have kids, let's face it, the cars take a backseat, and they should. Kids are more important than cars. Yes, I am kicking myself for saying that, but it is true. My true legacy on this Earth won't be the car(s) that I restore, but the people that I raise.

Ken
woobn8r
I'm 47 and have 2 kids (7 and 11)....Who said I had plenty of money???

Kids are away at summer camp this week so I feel like I'm 25 all over again!

I remember when "White Rose" "BP" and "Supertest" were all popular gas stations up in Canada...and the attendant washed your windshield as well as checked your oil...
kpex914
16 here
racerbvd
41 and still plays with cars & bikes beerchug.gif But, I'll turn 42 in a month barf.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jun 26 2007, 10:08 AM) *

How old are you?, Tell the truth!

21 cool_shades.gif
derekdenman
The 914 that I was taken home from the hospital after I was born was 12 years old at the time...That was 1986. I bought my first 914 sight unseen when I was 17, after saving up for 3 years, and drove it from Oakland CA to Dallas TX in the middle of the summer. Now I am 21 working on my third rebuild.
orthobiz
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Jul 19 2007, 04:46 PM) *

41 and still plays with cars & bikes beerchug.gif But, I'll turn 42 in a month barf.gif

Careful on that bike or you may not make 42!

Paul
LarryR
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jul 18 2007, 11:21 PM) *

I am 38. I own a 911 and my 914, and I don't have time for either of them thanks to my two daughters who are 5 and 1. There are also the house projects and all the other crap that comes with this age.

I believe that the ideal age to own a 914 is 22 to 28 (when most people have plenty of time and a little money) or 45 to ? (when most people have a little time and plenty of money). If you get married and have kids, let's face it, the cars take a backseat, and they should. Kids are more important than cars. Yes, I am kicking myself for saying that, but it is true. My true legacy on this Earth won't be the car(s) that I restore, but the people that I raise.

Ken

The cars are an excellent way to stay close with your kids and make your hobbies theirs. I only have one. My daughter is 11 and she has been to the races, swap meets, car shows, on and on ... almost every weekend since she was about 3. Sometimes I think she likes my cars more than I do. I figure that she will get them when I am gone...

She does not help with the mechanical work (My wife would kill me) but she does hand a wrench while I am under the car.

GeorgeRud
Made it to 55 so far. My first 914 was a 74 2.0 liter bought when I was in Grad School (yeah, I also was very used to punch cards and Fortran IV programming).
I also remember going to see LeMans on the night it came out at a DriveIn, and Grand Prix in Cinerama!

I agree with many of you that now things are more hectic with all the time saving devices we have to deal with. It's great to go to the garage and play with cars that have carbs, and can be easily serviced.

Unfortunately, the same trouble with it being very easy to get under the car, but a SOB to get back up. Luckily, my 21 year old son is a willing tool passer, and is learning about cars the old fashioned way, rebuilding them!
Steve Thacker
48 and still feel like 20 look more like early 30s. I refuse to age.
God bless genetics...Thanks Dad!
Porcharu
47 years young but still feel 25 or so!!
porbmw
57 today
So I went for a drive in the 74 teener I recently fixed up for my daughter.... piratenanner.gif
speed metal army
Im 12.
bulitt
i was young when this thread was started...
shoguneagle
I guess I will join all these "aged tales". I am 17, or was tha???? What childhood????

Ok! I am up there with Bernbomb and Barber Dave. I am 70 and will become younger in a couple of months.

I have had two 914s which were recovered from the "Junk Yard". Sorry, it should be caled the Salvage Yard, Wrecking Yard, Parts Supply Yard, "Moon Nite Auto Supply", etc. Still fighting the sickness and battle with great enjoyment and apprehension.

I have seen and been involved in anything and everything from war, high technology, areospace projects, banking and whatnot during my young years. I have retired from the Military after 29 plus years of active and reserve duty, retired banker and financial activities, involved in the Gemini Program, and whatnot.

Where did the time go??????

After all the above, I need a rest. Good Nite, Bernbomb and Barber Dave; good nite all.

Steve
JamesM
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jun 26 2007, 11:11 AM) *

Old enough to know what "Made in West Germany" means.

I just pulled some fuel hose off one of my cars that was stamped with that. A bit scary when i thought about how old it probably was.
mrholland2
Well, I'm 29, for the 18th time (47) and teach at a small college. The other day, a group of rice rocket guys were standing around my 914 wondering what it was.

I think there are a few new 914 fans here so maybe there will be more than 3 or 4 in the whole county someday

Sean
ww914
Well, I guess I am not the oldest at 68. A young 68 however, I'm off to my first AX tomorrow. My goal is not to spin out or hit any cones. Don't much care what the time is as long as I improve it with each run. Wish me luck.
islabob
72, still driving and enjoying my 914 regularly (hasn't been on stands for 11 years).
toolguy
Old enough that this is one of my childhood toys. . . read the bottom. . .
turk22
Click to view attachment

150 Dude, and still young!

just turned the big 5-0.
porsha916
I am 56, my first car was 1964 356sc convertable I payed $300 for! : driving.gif the owner said the engine was seized and the clutch cable was broken, I found the clip had come out of the clutch cable and pulled the plugs, put MM oil in the cylinders, rotated the crank with a wrench until free, then with the starter. Reinstalled the plugs and started it up, my brother drove around the block(he had a license). The next porsche in 76 was a 1970 914-6 40k miles, paid $4000 for it. biggrin.gif
Landed a jet, and a 3000hp airplane on a carrier while I was in the Navy.
Have owned about 30 914's, currently own 8, it is a disease.
Raced 914's at a circle track in Maine, eventually was the fastest car in the 4 cylinder class.
Have tried to live by two things - (1) God is my master, I live by his rules (2) Getting old is not for SISSIES
walterolin
I'm 66, closing in on Shoguneagle. I still own a Teac A1500 reel to reel, Pioneer SX-990, and a Konica AutoReflex T - all from the 1970 Pacex catalog which 'eagle might recall.

Bought my 70 1.7 in 1977, daily driver for many years (and only had one breakdown in all that time). Currently almost completely dissasembled, getting ready to go to the paint shop. Mostly original including the passenger side foot rest, I am missing the rear valence.
Drums66
.......Im the same age as THIN AIR
idea.gif shades.gif bye1.gif(thank god I feel good!!)
Porschef
Physically, I'm about chronologically right. (51)

Mentally is a difrint story... blink.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(porsha916 @ Sep 8 2012, 09:08 AM) *

Landed a ... 3000hp airplane on a carrier while I was in the Navy.

Musta been a SPAD?
eyesright
Just turned 61

Click to view attachment

Enjoyed drooling over 914's in college. Couldn't afford one then adn they aren't making them any more. This one is a white '70 -6 conversion. The ebay ad was not well represented but it'll turn out all right, just more expense and work than expected. Photo is coming home from the paint shop. AR wheels gotta go. They'll be on ebay some time soon. Hopefully in 6 months I'll have some photos on the Fuchs 5 spokes.
paroxysm
I'm turning 33 had my car since 98 only drove it for 3 months has now had $25000 invest into it and still not done.
IPB Image
jockellis
Last year I celebrated my 21st birthday for the third time. When I was 20, I could drive my Super Roadster about 50 miles from college and back for a buck worth of 33.9 cent high test. But in slaloms, it got less than 1 mpg.
kbrunk1
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jun 26 2007, 01:08 PM) *

I often wonder about this.

55 and trying to get one off blocks!
ThinAir
Today is birthday #61. I spent the day at Red Rocks Classic. A pretty good birthday!
dlo914
Just turned 28 a week ago.
RON S.
QUOTE(paroxysm @ Sep 8 2012, 08:39 PM) *

I'm turning 33 had my car since 98 only drove it for 3 months has now had $25000 invest into it and still not done.
IPB Image

I'm 5 years older now since this thread started..(50)

I got my Rust Rocket back in 98' also. I've put the time to good use. Not to mention the $$$$$.00 it's took to get there wacko.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Sep 8 2012, 10:28 PM) *

Today is birthday #61. I spent the day at Red Rocks Classic. A pretty good birthday!

......cool ride....catch you in a week(61)....you too eyesright

birthday3.gif bye1.gif
euro911
Currently 58, but grew up with all my older brothers' friends (68 and 66). I remember gas being 19 cents/gallon (for my go-karts and Taco and Bonanza minibikes).

Grew up with B/W TVs, AM radios, tube amplifiers, idler-wheel turntables, 45s, LPs, R-R tape decks, Honda Mini Trails, Dewey Weber 9'6" long boards, pong ... laugh.gif

Bought my first 914 (a '71) in 1973. Not very practical (my mom's words) so I didn't have it long dry.gif

Bought my first 911 (a first year '64) in 1977 (still have it) smile.gif

Bought and sold more 911s & 912s in the 80's (still have a few) shades.gif

My wife bought me a '75 914 in 2006 ... I bought her a '71 in 2007 cheer.gif

Also picked up a 5-lugged '72 that I planned to race ... age and playing too hard in my younger years finally caught up with me, so it sits under a cover ... dry.gif

I still think young ... I think confused24.gif
MoveQik
According to Erc Shea I am 50. WTF.gif
karmanbuilt
Hi all.....hitting 66 28th of this month. It won't be as bad as it was hitting a truck head on in my bug in'96. Broke both legs, broke my femur in three places, and fractured my neck. They put me back together with rods and pins, [b]Gorilla Glue wasn't around then. Got my first 14 in '96 also.....didn't get to enjoy it much. The car I love to hate the most! But now, working on it is just kicking my ass!! Well, you gotta go big, or stay home!
Maltese Falcon
Ron S.
Amazing metamorphasis! , this gives me hope to bring another project out of the boneyard.
Not too shabby biggrin.gif
Marty
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentCheck the date on the Eine Mark, fast forward to the next conflict which to this day has a DMZ at the 38th parallel.
That's when I showed up !
RickS
Click to view attachment

The year I was born:

Average Cost of new house $10.250.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 22 cents
Average Cost of a new car $1,700.00
Average Monthly Rent $85.00
Movie Ticket 70 cents
Life Magazine 20 cents

the year was '54, and I am now '57.

Of course at age 0 to 2 I was too busy messing myself, and chasing tit to remember any of that. What I do remember were gas wars and the local gas stations (at least 2 per corner) where the gas went down 5 to 7 cents a gallon to say 26 cents and you still got full service (air tires, wash all windows, check oil, and water and either get free drinking glasses or trading stamps). Cars didn't have seat belts, and wearing the rubber wheels off my red firetruck peddal car. Also the first man into space, the Kennedy assasination, prop airliners ( and the first jet liners) first man on the moon, and doing my damnest to avoid going into the hell call Vietnam, again while chasing tit and getting messed up.

Nice to see I have a lot of company in the 50, 60, 70 year old contingent. Of cours considering the cars are about 40 years old, it just figures.

Have owned a 72, 911T targa (hence my love for open top driving) and currently own a 73 911 and my favorite summer day hot rod, the 71 914.
euro911
Nice car, Rick thumb3d.gif

If I didn't have enough 914s already screwy.gif ... I'd hold out for a nice silver one.
balljoint
Hmmm. We are all now 5 years older than when this thread was started.
walterolin
[quote name='RickS' date='Sep 10 2012, 01:35 AM' post='1736850']
Click to view attachment

...at age 0 to 2 I was too busy messing myself, and chasing tit...

There's been a change??

Olin

(Nice 'teener)
ww914
QUOTE(RickS @ Sep 9 2012, 10:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

The year I was born:

Average Cost of new house $10.250.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 22 cents
Average Cost of a new car $1,700.00
Average Monthly Rent $85.00
Movie Ticket 70 cents
Life Magazine 20 cents

the year was '54, and I am now '57.

Of course at age 0 to 2 I was too busy messing myself, and chasing tit to remember any of that. What I do remember were gas wars and the local gas stations (at least 2 per corner) where the gas went down 5 to 7 cents a gallon to say 26 cents and you still got full service (air tires, wash all windows, check oil, and water and either get free drinking glasses or trading stamps). Cars didn't have seat belts, and wearing the rubber wheels off my red firetruck peddal car. Also the first man into space, the Kennedy assasination, prop airliners ( and the first jet liners) first man on the moon, and doing my damnest to avoid going into the hell call Vietnam, again while chasing tit and getting messed up.

Nice to see I have a lot of company in the 50, 60, 70 year old contingent. Of cours considering the cars are about 40 years old, it just figures.

Have owned a 72, 911T targa (hence my love for open top driving) and currently own a 73 911 and my favorite summer day hot rod, the 71 914.

Rick

That is a nice, clean car. I see you went with 5 studs, but kept the original look. Do you recall what size wheels and tires are on your car? This is what I would like to do.
Niklas
I am 46.
6freak
mostly kids! that explains alot

Born in 1964 Renton Washington ...Old enough to know a fool and he`s money will soon part

smile.gif
The Metal Surgeon
somd914
I recall crowding around our 19" black and white TV (complete with rabbit ears) to watch Neil Armstrong step onto the moon and the birth of the 914 around the same time. Can't say as a kid I ever imagined owning a 914 at age 48!

I wonder what my kids will be driving will be driving in their late 40's - likely won't be gas powered!
Bullethead
57 as of today.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.