Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How old are you?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
pin31
Thanks for asking....... alfred.gif

46 and still kicking ass !!
vanaman
im old enough to join the military and give my life for the country.
but not old enough to drink.

aka 20

steve
PeeGreen 914
So true. I think they should change one age requirement or the other. If you can be a solier you should be able to drink, but then again with as little as they get paid I'm not sure if they can afford to drink av-943.gif huh.gif
BiG bOgGs
I'm 40. I am finding that some of my childhood experiences are hard to explain to young geeks these days. Like helping my father carry boxes of punch cards into the university he taught at so that he could load a program into the main frame. (Looking back I am suprised he trusted me not to drop them) And although I never became a big video game player, I did play a very early version of moon lander on a mini main frame computer. The computer only took up about half of a room.

gint.gif
Allan
48 and feeling like 70.

These frickin cars WILL sap the life out of you....
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 26 2007, 07:39 PM) *

So true. I think they should change one age requirement or the other. If you can be a solier you should be able to drink, but then again with as little as they get paid I'm not sure if they can afford to drink av-943.gif huh.gif

Bought my first new Porsche(a 914/4) when I was 25. Cost all of $4,295 with appearance group(paid for it in 18 months). Made $10k a year as a chemist that year. Two years earlier I made 126.50/month as a buck sergeant in the Army (think they're underpaid now?). Bought my first house in '74 - 2700 square feet (new) for $40k. Unfortunately the interest rates were 13.5% then (think the rates are high now?). See if you can figure out my age.

BTW, I still have have the 914, though it's not nearly what it was when I bought it. It's better.
Pat
degreeoff
QUOTE(customstarr @ Jun 26 2007, 11:11 AM) *

Young enough to still date girls in their twenties. Actually, I just turned 37 - my fiancee is 23. I'm a lucky boy.

Yeah me too my man...35 just got rid of the 45 year old and started on younger models...26-28 now.....not as lucky as you but eh? whatcha going to do ?

I have a formula for dating no no's Your age divided by two + 7....aktion035.gif

Oh and my car is 1 month newer than ME!
orange914
my mustang is 40

sons 914 is 34

sons honda is 14

wifes taurus is 2

oh crap do you mean me??? slits.gif
BahnBrenner914
I'm 20, my two cars are a combined age of 60 (1978 ford fiesta, 1976 914). And I'm old enough to have pictures of my mom holding me in front of the berlin wall in front of the brandenburg gate.
bd1308
you'd think with a post count of over 7000 i would have been on board a lot longer than I actually have been.

(its been reset too)
SGB
Who else is besides me is BMO- "before microwave ovens"?

C'mon. Nobody remembers when we had the chinese calender? Before the contenents separated? wasn't long ago....
ClayPerrine
I am 43. I remember as a 6 year old watching the Apollo 11 moon landing.

I also remember the first microwave oven. My aunt and uncle had it. It was an Amana Radarange. I thought it was totally cool. And way over-engineered. They had it up until a few years ago and it still worked.

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 27 2007, 12:08 AM) *

I also remember the first microwave oven. My aunt and uncle had it. It was an Amana Radarange. I thought it was totally cool. And way over-engineered. They had it up until a few years ago and it still worked.

av-943.gif I was 7 & my neighbors across the street had the RadarRange laugh.gif !

cool_shades.gif
type47fan
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 26 2007, 07:06 PM) *

Bought my first new Porsche(a 914/4) when I was 25. Cost all of $4,295 with appearance group(paid for it in 18 months). Made $10k a year as a chemist that year. Two years earlier I made 126.50/month as a buck sergeant in the Army (think they're underpaid now?). Bought my first house in '74 - 2700 square feet (new) for $40k. Unfortunately the interest rates were 13.5% then (think the rates are high now?). See if you can figure out my age.

BTW, I still have have the 914, though it's not nearly what it was when I bought it. It's better.
Pat

You are 60 and some change. . . .wadda I win?
andys
QUOTE(SGB @ Jun 26 2007, 08:30 PM) *

Who else is besides me is BMO- "before microwave ovens"?

C'mon. Nobody remembers when we had the chinese calender? Before the contenents separated? wasn't long ago....

And dial telephones, B&W TV's when few could afford color sets, slide rule in college, carbon paper; yup, BTDT.

Funny though, I have less time now with all the modern "time-saving gadgets" then I did then.

Andys
STL914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 26 2007, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 27 2007, 12:08 AM) *

av-943.gif I was 7 & my neighbors across the street had the RadarRange laugh.gif !

cool_shades.gif

My wife and I bought a RadarRange when we got married over thirty years ago. A house fire in 97 finally did it in. Her folks still have one and it's working fine. They don't make them that tuff any more.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 26 2007, 07:06 PM) *

Pat

Well, if you bought the car when you were 25, and it was an appearance group being either a 73 or 74. My guess is 73 if you only paid 4,295 as I think a 74 went for 4,500 +. So I guess that would make you 59. Am I right?
PanelBilly
When I went to highschool, I bought a 2 year old 914 from my brother. It cost me $100/month and I paid for it with my earnings from lifeguarding at the local pool.

elwood-914
48...... too old to crawl under the damn thing all the time......too poor to have someone else do it. sad.gif
bernbomb914
you are all babes in the woods.my first car was a 29 model A
74 years young
eg914
49, and thanks to Bernie for making me feel young!

I used punch cards for the main frame at college. I still call CDs records (my daughter thinks its funny).

I feel older when crawling under the 914, but much younger when driving it. I guess it balances out.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(eg914 @ Jun 26 2007, 11:07 PM) *

49, and thanks to Bernie for making me feel young!

I used punch cards for the main frame at college. I still call CDs records (my daughter thinks its funny).

I feel older when crawling under the 914, but much younger when driving it. I guess it balances out.

I can see why she thinks it's funny as they are NOT records happy11.gif . Oh well, they all play music though.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
BernBomb: I was 69 ,yesterday

Let's make these kids feel bad.
1. Whats the first price of a gallon of gas ,you remember?
Me; 29.9 ,I could drive all week to school & work for $ 3.00
1st. car ; 46 Ply. 2door, paid $200.00, 1st yr Ins 250.00
I could eat dinner for a $1.00, Huge berger,fries,and a malt
seem to remember some change back to..
Aunt lived on the farm, 6 party line phone that had a grank on the side

I only wonder what the next 69 yrs will bring

Dave slap.gif
RON S.

I'm 45.

And damn sure feel it too. dry.gif

Ron
seejay5
18. I just got my first 914, '73 "the nose mobile", and Im going down to get a '72 this week.
Igor
I'm 22 and married to a 19 year old. And I have been happely married for almost 4 years smilie_pokal.gif thumb3d.gif aktion035.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Igor @ Jun 27 2007, 09:03 AM) *

I'm 22 and married to a 19 year old. And I have been happely married for almost 4 years smilie_pokal.gif thumb3d.gif aktion035.gif

So you got married when you were 18 and she was 15? huh.gif
bembry
QUOTE(rigglet @ Jun 26 2007, 12:28 PM) *

I'm two years older than my car. biggrin.gif

Me too--the 914 that is.

piratenanner.gif
dbledsoe
58 today, 59 next week. I got one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas pedal and I still can't get no satisfaction. I do all my own 914 work by myself, including engine swaps (Buick V6), trans axle swaps, engine builds, etc.

"There must be some way outta here, said the Joker to the thief. There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief." BD

WTF.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 27 2007, 02:33 PM) *

huh.gif agree.gif

cool_shades.gif
dflesburg
Old enough to own a car and a turntable that were both "Made in West Germany."

WHATS A "TURNTABLE" ?

LOL - kidding I am 43
JmuRiz
I'm 30, so I guess I know a little bit of the new and old stuff.

Grew up playing with toys that didn't play by themselves (like toys today did), no cable TV, having to get up to change the channel, remember me and my brother getting LPs for the cool cover art (Kiss Alive anyone?), microwaves actually looked like radiation machines and sat on their own 'cart' in the kitchen, no internet, and the atari and apple II were the hot items.
maitaiken
I've been 21 three times now. First car was a 55' Ford with "three on the tree" and set me back $350. Gas was 19.9 cents a gallon for Sunoco 190. How many of you old teeners remember the "dial the octane" knob at Sunoco? I can still crawl under a 914 (ask Dan) but can't jump back up like I used to. First Porsche was a 70' 914/4 that I bought from Stoddards of Ohio and now 44 Porsches later.........
Ken... driving.gif
RoninEclipse2G
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 27 2007, 12:33 PM) *

blink.gif I thought I got married young.

I was 20 and she just turned 19, that will be 7years ago this december. She got the creamsicle for her highschool graduation present
levonfarra
I am celebrating my 9th anniversary of age 30.
jonferns

I was 20 and she just turned 19, that will be 7years ago this december. She got the creamsicle for her highschool graduation present

you gave your wife your creamsicle??? what the hell is wrong with you!!! biggrin.gif --JON
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jun 27 2007, 04:50 PM) *

you gave your wife your creamsicle??? what the hell is wrong with you!!! biggrin.gif --JON

That's not what it says. He is saying his wife got one for graduation, but he didn't say he gave it to her.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(dbledsoe @ Jun 27 2007, 11:54 AM) *

"There must be some way outta here, said the Joker to the thief. There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief." BD

WTF.gif

Drive on out past desolation row, along the watchtower, then turn onto Rt. 61 driving.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(maitaiken @ Jun 27 2007, 02:09 PM) *

Gas was 19.9 cents a gallon for Sunoco 190. How many of you old teeners remember the "dial the octane" knob at Sunoco?
Ken... driving.gif

....and getting Steve McQueen/LeMans goodies from the Gulf station piratenanner.gif
RoninEclipse2G
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 27 2007, 06:03 PM) *

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jun 27 2007, 04:50 PM) *

That's not what it says. He is saying his wife got one for graduation, but he didn't say he gave it to her.

You are correct sir, her father horsetraded a corvair engine and $200 for it shortly after we began dating. He and I have put it back together.
Rick L
I'm towing the middle of the road at 36. My wife is the same age as my car. poke.gif
Igor
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 27 2007, 01:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 27 2007, 02:33 PM) *

huh.gif agree.gif

cool_shades.gif

I was 18 1/2 she just turned 16 2 months before the wedding
nola914
29 .....when my '73 was built !!!!
jaminM3
3 years older than my car. I was the same age as my first '76 914.

I am a bicentennial baby and named after Benjamin Franklin...
G e o r g e
QUOTE(jaminM3 @ Jun 28 2007, 09:57 AM) *

I am a bicentennial baby and named after Benjamin Franklin...

your name is french loving bald guy? confused24.gif
slapshot914
Crap, I just realized I'm 62!!! How'd that happen? I remember gas price wars dropping the cost of a gallon to 14.9 cents. $1 in the tank and cruise all night with my buddies. First car was a 48 Plymouth, second a 51 Chevy 2-door hardtop (worth more today than I paid for my first house). Then I bought a 59 TR3 (turned turtle on me while driving it to work one morning-damn that hurt!), followed by a TR4. First air-cooled car, a 62 VW. Then a VW camper van. Took that one with us to Alaska in 78. Damn near froze to death in it.

Saw my first 914 in 1972 when my sister's boy friend brought her home from a date. Love at first sight. I thought it was the coolest car I'd ever seen. Always wanted one, and finally bought my first 914-73 1.7-in 1990. Still got it, but its now the parts car. Bought my second one, a 73 2.0 in 1992. Daily driver. Still do all my own work on it, but I'm getting tired of laying on the concrete floor.
dimitri
More than twice the age of my 1974 914 type 47, not quite twice the age
of my 1970 914-6 type 914, owned since 1970. D boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif imitri
Joe76
laugh.gif 59. Bought mine new in '76 and could never part with it.
JRust
Turn 35 in August! My twin daughters just turned 12. I really didn't feel old before that sad.gif
John
I'm old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

I'm old enough to have been participating in PCA DE events for 20 years, but young enough to have children that are 1 and 3.

By the way, I'm not yet 40.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.