Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front end neg camber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
ottox914
Could you take some metal rod of some sort, and weld/attach it to the ID of the camber plate, and to the sides of the strut bushing, then pour the goo in? Would that act a little like rebar in cement, in terms of keeping things togather under load?

Looking at my current front camber plates, they are the Tarrot style, with a spherical bearing solid mounted in an aluminum piece. Could you weld/attach that bearing to the inside of a stock camber plate with the rubber and stock bushing removed, and get the same result?
Borderline
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Jul 27 2007, 07:37 PM) *

Looking at my current front camber plates, they are the Tarrot style, with a spherical bearing solid mounted in an aluminum piece. Could you weld/attach that bearing to the inside of a stock camber plate with the rubber and stock bushing removed, and get the same result?

I thought of something like that but wasn't sure about not having any rubber in the system. I think it was Kevin Groot that posted how important it is to have the rubber grommets in the system unless you have all out racing shocks...which I don't. Is there any rubber in your Tarrot system?
stownsen914
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Jul 27 2007, 11:37 PM) *

Could you take some metal rod of some sort, and weld/attach it to the ID of the camber plate, and to the sides of the strut bushing, then pour the goo in? Would that act a little like rebar in cement, in terms of keeping things togather under load?

The tops of the shocks need to be able move as the suspenion moves through bump and droop. If I read your suggestion correctly, I think you were saying to solidly attach the strut bushing to the camber plate. If you do this, the suspension will bind (and the shock shaft would bend) ...
ottox914
QUOTE(Borderline @ Jul 27 2007, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(ottox914 @ Jul 27 2007, 07:37 PM) *

I thought of something like that but wasn't sure about not having any rubber in the system. I think it was Kevin Groot that posted how important it is to have the rubber grommets in the system unless you have all out racing shocks...which I don't. Is there any rubber in your Tarrot system?

Here is a photo of the camber plates and top bearings.

http://www.paragon-products.com/photos/CM-1300-2.jpg

I'd be interested to read Groot's comments on rubber in the system- not that I don't believe him, but I'd like to learn a bit more and see what his thoughts are and the reasoning behind them. Can you copy the post or add a link to it?

And- had a chance to test your creation yet?
Borderline
I did a search but couldn't find the thread here! It was just my recollection from a few months ago. Here's a similar statement made at a different site...strut stoppers
Chris Pincetich
Bill - I know I said you can have those camber plates, but I need them back now laugh.gif

Regarding Groot's comments - I'm pretty sure the comment was focussed on bottoming out the struts, and needing the top rubber bump stops (they had another name too) to protect the shock internals, not necessarily for better suspension movement/alignment/properties.

More updates please! How did things go at Marina Sunday?

I work 5 blocks from EASY and have easy acces to buy used 914 parts...if you need another set to play with I could help out with the R&D beerchug.gif
Borderline
Too late Chris they're mine now!! They seemed to work great! I'm still slow on the Azenis but went 3 seconds faster on the victorocks! I was able to run laps comparable to DanT's!!!!! I don't know why I can't go fast on the azenis. They just don't seem to bite at all.

The overall setup of the car felt really good. No rear sway bar, 22mm T-bars, 19mm frnt sway set pretty stiff and 225# rear springs with the shocks set pretty soft. lower pressure in the victorocks. Dan suggested softer shocks and lower pressures. I was going to go stiffer on the shocks...seemed like what everyone else did. aktion035.gif
Chris Pincetich
I'm pretty sure that going to 2.5 neg camber is something the Victo's will like and the street tires will not. Time for some tire temps!

You may consider running JUST the Victo's in the future if you are not dealing with PCA car class issues. For 914Cup - do whatever seems fair, it's all gud. Those sticky tires will give smaller times and bigger smiles, and having you car set-up for them would be a big plus vs. finding a compromise to use both types of tires.

DIY camber plates are cool beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.