Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Howard
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
dekman
Beautiful thoughts and sentiments............will post date and location for the wake/memorial most likely at Howards House in Westlake Village, CA when I have the info.
brer
Be Fast Howard.

carreraguy
My thoughts are with his family in their time of grief, my sincere condolences.
I met Howard at the WCC05 (which he organized and he did a great job at). He always had a big smile on his face, a bounce to his step and an infectious "why not" attitude. The 914 community has lost a great supporter and I know we've all lost a great friend.
Carl
Howie,
Thanks for the smiles. Thanks for the friendly voice. We'll miss you.

Carl
pfierb
Life is such a fragile thing.Never met the man but felt as if I knew him.

Peace Howard
spare time toys
If I may use the words of Bob Hope. "Thanks for the memories" I never had the privelage of a face to face but did get lots of good advice.
rfuerst911sc
R.I.P..........and good luck to his family. The loss is heavy right now but each day gets a tiny bit better.
DNHunt
I only talked to him once in person at a chinese restaurant at dinner 1 night during WCC 04 but, many times his wit put a smile on my face. I am thankful I had the opportunity to enjoy his humor and I will miss him for sure.

I will pray for his family. Somehow I have this vision of Howard looking over his new digs up there and having some joke he really wants to tell. I suspect when I get there the door prepared for Howie gonna have a crowd in it and as you go by there's gonna be a lot laughs. Lighten them up up there Howard. Heaven will never be the same.
rhodyguy
that dinner had completely slipped my mind. watching howard work the matre'de (sp) when 25 people showed up without a single reservation, getting a private room, and hammering down the cost per head, was a thing of beauty.

k
plymouth37
Click to view attachment
beerchug.gif Here is to all the great times Howard has brought to this group. I am really going to miss him.
shaggy
i only met Howard once.

i think it was the route 66 trip.
my girlfriend went to the dinner that happened in prescott.
it was nice i finally got to meet some of the people i had only heard about.
we were all sitting at one large table.

i ordered my prime rib rare, as i always do, and because of this it was the first to appear at the table.
after setting it down in front of me the waiter asked if i would like creamy horse radish with it.
at that point Howard leans over from a few chairs down from me and says something to the effect of,"that steak dosent need horse radise; it needs a good veterinarian."

over a year later i still think of that line and laugh to myself every time i order anything rare.

its sad to see such a respected and loved member of this community leave us, but at times thats how it goes and we have very little control over it.
-jim unthank

Click to view attachment
scotty b
Damn.........last I checked in all, was well and he seemed to be doing great......damn........... sad.gif His hose will always be in my heart huh.gif
aircooledboy
Hmmmmm. sad.gif

Checking in from out of town on a borrowed computer just to make sure Howard was continuing in the right direction. hmmm. . . . sad.gif

I never met Howard in person, but I am reminded of the time a guy from callifornia offerd me an engine he had when mine blew up unexpectedly. Only a really great guy would do something like that for someone he had never met. I feel shortchanged for never having the chance to meet that guy in person.

Enjoy the finest twisties there are my man.
Scott Carlberg
This is very sad news indeed.

it bothers me that I can't remember IF I met Howard, I'm pretty sure I did, I just don't remember. I'm sure many of you would say, "if you met Howard, you wouldn't forget".

while you're UP there.... find a cure for rust!

Rest In Peace Howard.
70Sixter
May God bless Howard's family and friends at this awful time. I never knew him and can only hope to have had a small part of the impact he seems to have had.

RIP Howard. May you never know jackstands or rust again. And may God reward you for the positive impact on this world.
TJB/914
God Bless Howard's family & friends.

I just returned from vacation & learned this sad news. Never met Howard, but felt like I knew him from his postings on 914-World.

Tom
Happyness is not a goal, Happness is the Journey!!! Howard you will always be remembered by 914-World.
Rusty
Damn... this sucks. Such a huge loss to our community. sad.gif

Prayers go out to his loved ones.
r_towle
God Bless Howard's family & friends.

KTF Howard

Rich
draperjojo
He will be missed. What a sense of humor!!! Life is fragile!
jonferns
rest in peace howard, praying for his family sad.gif -JON
Dr. Roger
Wow, a lot can happen in one weekend. sad.gif

Howard exemplified that "Dance like no one's looking" saying...

Dance like no one is watching,
love like you'll never be hurt,
sing like no one is listening,
live like it's heaven on earth,
and fart like you're the only one in the elevator.
~work like you don't need the money.
~ drive like somebody's chasing you.
~ pray like you're falling from the balcony.
~ grin like you just got laid.
~ watch WWF like it was real.
~ pay your taxes like you are fearful of prison sex.
~ show pride like you don't still live with your parents.
~ reboot like Windows could work.

I'll miss him.

Sincerely,
Roger Grubb
jgara962
I'm sorry to hear the news. Howard will be missed by everyone and was a great asset to the 914 community.
BKLA
I just got back from a Porsche Club DE day... logged in and saw the news...

I only knew Howard through the club/world scene ... I always loved his posts and his sense of humor.

My most sincere condolences to his friends and family.
TROJANMAN
It sounds like there will be a gathering for Howard on Saturday at the Family's house. I will post more details when they are known.
jim_hoyland
Two of my memories: Howard arriving at GAF in Venture, and the last day I got to see him, at El Toro AX.

My deepest condolences to Howards family,

Jim
Chris Pincetich
2006 GAF in Ventura is where I met Howard, and the last time I saw him.
Eternal cheers and BBQ jeers for the one and only Howard
beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
jsharp.gif
Rust in peace
914werke
blink.gif Im agast.
Here Ive been mostly outta touch thinking ive got it rough... screwy.gif

Howie you were a Jewel Im glad to have crossed your path .. pray.gif

Peace
Chris Julian
Very Sad News.

I'd been off the site for months and just got the e-mail from felix.

At first I didn't recognize the name then it hit me and my heart dropped. I only met Howard a couple of times and was amazed when I found out later that his daughter had dated an old friend of mine year's earlier. We joked about it later and I felt connected to him from that point on. Howard ran a great show down in Camarillo for the WWC2005 and even found a way to donate some of the funds to charity. He was a stand up guy. I'll miss you Howard.

Best wishes to his family.

Chris Julian

Mrs. K
I am still numb...............sad.gif

I did find this great pic of Howard and his wife and daughter from the WCC 05

Click to view attachment

You will always and forever be in my heart Howie! icon12.gif

Lisa
mrs.K.gif

Mueller
Read about this today....wow, what a shock....

Howard is truely going to be missed, my wife had never meet him yet she talked to him before on the phone when I was going thru some tough times and she was just as upset as I about the news.....our prayers and thoughts go out to his family.

tdgray
I rarely check in over the weekend... I am deeply saddend to see this.

We are all better to have had Howard as an influence however the interaction... web, in-person, on the phone... whatever.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family... he will be sorely missed.

Godspeed Howard sad2.gif
rhcb914
A great loss to our community. sad.gif

My thoughs and prayers go out to Howards family.
dekman
"Howard's Farewell Party" will be held at his house this saturday at 11AM in Thousand Oaks, CA. THE Adress is 776 Sunfield Ct., Thousand Oaks, CA 91362. Just a bunch of his friends getting together to reflect on Howard's life and what he has meant to them..........................
Alison Baker
Then when he got together with Alison Baker, the laughs got even harder and more abundant.

Howard and I never stopped laughing the whole weekend...

I am totally lost for words....

Good Night & sleep tight Howard....
MartyYeoman
Bye Bye, Howard. I am glad to have met you.
horizontally-opposed
And here I thought Howard was over the hump... sad.gif

As another who never got to meet Howard but enjoyed quite a few laughs provided by his wonderful, good-natured sense of humor, I'm gonna really miss the guy.

Howard was one more of those around here I'd hoped to meet and figured I would. This is a real reminder for why it IS important not to put that kind of thing off.

Perhaps the one thing that brightens my thoughts about this guy I knew but didn't know was the videos he kept posting more recently of him driving his 914 on those wonderful roads near his home. Two things: he was living and enjoying "life" the way he liked to using the same tool all of us choose; we can all ride along with him one more time now that he's gone.

pete
jhadler
I haven't checked in recently, and was very saddened to read this.

Godspeed Howard. The wishes expressed here in these days tell how many lives you've enriched while sharing this world with us.

-Josh2
jeeperjohn56
I'm sorry to have never meet Howard,my prays go out to the family.He doesn't have to worry no more in this cruel world. God bless John
Toast
Howie, I'm going to miss you a bunch. You always gave me such a good laugh.
And helped me withough hessitation anytime I need it. grouphug.gif

I am truley honored to have had the opporunity to meet Howard and to have shared the laughs and times with him that I did.

Howard's love for a good drive will be celebrated every time I turn the key. driving-girl.gif

Click to view attachment

God bless the Dranow family and all of those who grieve for him now.

burnout.gif
GTeener
sad.gif I too am saddened by this news. I also never got to meet Howard personally, but he has been very supportive and generous with his advice to me over the few years I've been involved in this community. He will be greatly missed.

As part of his tribe, I offer the following mourner's prayer:

Elmaley rachamim shochen bamromim, Hamtzey menucha nechona tachat kantey hashchina, Bemaalot kdoshim uthorim kezohar Harakeea mazhirim, et nishmat Howard Shehalach lolamo, Baavur shenadvoo tzedaka Bad hazkarat nishmato, Bgan ayden thay menuchato, Lachen baal harachamim Yastireyhu Bseter knafav lolamim Vyitzror bitzror hachayim Et nishmato, Adonai hu nachalato, Vyanuach bshalom Al mishkavo, Vnomar Amen.

O God, full of compassion, Thou who dwellest on high! Grant perfect rest beneath the sheltering wings of Thy presence, among the holy and pure who shine as the brightness of the firmament unto the soul of Howard who has gone unto eternity. Lord of mercy, bring him under the cover of Thy wings, and let his soul be bound up in the bond of eternal life. Be thou his possession, and may his repose be peace, Amen.
jaminM3
I didn't know Howard, but seeing all the people on this forum affected by his passing makes me sad and gives me a feeling that I missed out not knowing him.
sad.gif sad2.gif pray.gif
Rick L
......I hear there's no need for Jackstands in heaven. driving.gif

Vaya Con Dios, Brother.

My condolences to the family and friends of Howard.

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Toast @ Aug 6 2007, 11:23 AM) *

I am truley honored to have had the opporunity to meet Howard and to have shared the laughs and times with him that I did.

Howard's love for a good drive will be celebrated every time I turn the key. driving-girl.gif

Click to view attachment

burnout.gif

Very nice thumb3d.gif
URY914
Howard, we never met but I feel such a loss. I cried yesterday in church as I said a prayer for you.

May all your roads be curvy
May your rust be forever neutralized
May your oil leaks be small
And may the memory of you be with us always

Paul
scotty b
QUOTE(Toast @ Aug 6 2007, 11:23 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Wow...what a tear jerker sad.gif Nice Toast

burnout.gif

Twystd1
This is a story of cause and effect.

That means Howard is still having a profound and wonderful effect on me.

So Friday evening night I call Joe Sharp to talk to him about how I felt about Howard's condition and then his passing..
I had been in my head for days around this. And thats not my normal way of being.
Ya see... When someone I know dies. I simply go to a grateful spot in my heart for knowing someone as i long as I did and cherish the good memory's. Thats it... then I get on with my life.

Problem is... I couldn't get Howard out of my head. I just kept hurting.
And that was a very different emotion for me. And I knew I had to get out of the pain... And into the joy of who Howard was and the profound effect he had on me.

So I call up Joe Sharp. We chat about Howard, cars, emotions and the regular stuff guys talk about.

He tells me that he and THOMAS are going to the TRE swap meet in Los Angeles Saturday morning. And he asked me to come along.

Thats when the magic started.

I immediately thought I didn't want to go to LA and peruse through parts I don't need and I can't afford. And TRE is a 911 shop.. Not a 914 shop.

Going with my friends to TRE would obviously be a waste of time.

Thats when something in my head said. "Clayton go with the Joe. Have fun"

I freaked when I heard Howards voice in my head and in my heart.

Thats when I knew It was all going to be ok.

So I pick up Thomas and Joe Saturday morning... head up to TRE.... And start looking for goodys.

First thing I see are 2 TYPE IV engines sitting on the ground. I ask the attendant how much he wants for them. he says " How much you offering?"

I say a hundred bucks. As we had to start the haggling somewhere. And I thought if I lowballed the hell out of him... That would be a good place to start. I figured at a hundred bucks an engine... he might go up on his price a little less than usual.

The attendant radios to some guy named Gary and tells him I offer a hundred bucks for the lot... OOOOPss. I meant per engine as a starting price.

Gary radios back... SOLD...!! Two engine for a hundred bucks. A 1.7 and a 2.0 COMPLETE with injection and sheet metal clutch and PP.

I thought I had died and gone to heaven... then I remembered Howard had already done that.. So I didn't need to. Kewl.

Bottom line. Howards had a profound effect on me in life.....
He STILL keeps giving me gifts. AFTER he passes, They just keep on coming.

How I feel and sense Howards passing is now full of joy and fond memory's. He wants me... And us. To live, laugh, love, care about our very unique family. And most of all.... have fun.

So Howard... Thanks one more time for your help.
I'll talk to you later my friend.

Clayton

PS:
You folks have no idea how much I love this place and the NARP board. The people.. The cars. The care. Precious stuff.............
Dr Evil
Good one, Clayton smile.gif

I have been having a time getting over this as well. I get all freakin misty eyed from time to time. Howard did teach me how better to deal with the elderly wink.gif Maybe that is why I am having some huge luck as of late in the car world. He gets to be with all of us in our daily lives in one aspect of another.
rick 918-S
I haven't posted much about our friend yet but I have his cell # stored in my cell phone. I can't bring myself to delete it. sad.gif I'll miss you my friend.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 7 2007, 12:14 AM) *

I haven't posted much about our friend yet but I have his cell # stored in my cell phone. I can't bring myself to delete it. sad.gif I'll miss you my friend.

That did it, you got me all friggen teared up. sad.gif

This hurts so much mad.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2007, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 7 2007, 12:14 AM) *

That did it, you got me all friggen teared up. sad.gif

This hurts so much mad.gif

I just had this conversation with Suzanne today. I did the same thing sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.