Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What tires should I use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
purple
That would suck bad if that's what's up. The P.O. replaced the bushing on this suspension arm because of the rubbing. It's rubbing on the inside of the fender.

I'd probably be investing in a welder if that's what's going on
thomasotten
Mine rubbed on the outside fender, and you could kick the tire and it had play. But anyway, back to tires... what about those two that I posted? Does anyone have some pics of Fuzions mounted to Fuchs? I don't want a Ricer looking tire.
blitZ
Here are some fookin Fuzions on Fuchs. Hope it helps.

thomasotten
Looks good, but you did have to pull the fender a bit, right?
blitZ
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Aug 15 2007, 11:46 PM) *

Looks good, but you did have to pull the fender a bit, right?

Just a little.
dlo914
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Aug 13 2007, 03:00 PM) *

I have been using Hankook RS-Z212s for a while and I like them. Lots of grip, cheap, and available in 195-50. Yes it increases the revs a bit on the highway, but its not THAT bad and keeps me under 90 mph for the most part smile.gif

Just recently I put a set of Azenis on the front and they are even stickier.

-Tony

agree.gif i just picked up a pair of Hankook RS2's today for my Corolla GTS and these are quite awesome! Surprisingly quiet when driving normally and cornering. Also only paid $85/each in size 205/45/16's. Would highly recommend this tire! They're said to be a tad below the Azenis in performance and you get better wet traction w/ these RS2's. IPB Image
maf914
The tread pattern on the Bridgestone G-009 in Thomasotten's post and the Fuzion in Blitz's post are quite similar. And they are both Bridgestone-Firestone products... idea.gif

I will need tires to replace my old Yoko AVS Intermediates in 205/60 x 15 and have been studying the various tire web sites. There aren't a lot of high performance tires available in that size. I recently replaced tires on our Acura RSX with Bridgestone RE960 and have been pleased with them so far. So, for the 914 I'm considering the Bridgestone RE960 and G-009, Yoko ES 100, and BF Goodrich G-Force. I know this selection is not the highest performance in the world, but unless I go to lower aspect ratio or go to 16" wheels, I think it's about the best one can do. I want dry and wet performance and am leaning toward the RE960's.
thomasotten
I went and looked at the Fuzions and they looked pretty awesome, but really nothing like the G009.

IPB Image

Another one that I looked at was the Bridgstone RE750

IPB Image

That one looked pretty nice too. I am just worried about tire rubbing with the 205/55 size. I have .36" clearance on the tightest side, so the size should work, but I am still not 100% certain. To rolling of the fenders can happen here, the car has fresh paint and I can't risk cracking the body filler.
woobn8r
If ya got the $ the RE960 is a much better tire thasn the G009....we call 'em "goonies"....they are an entry level performance tire...The Zri Fuzion is better too IMHO. not sure about the Hri as I have not driven them.

When comparing these particular tires look at the shape of the shoulder and contour of the casing (specifically the sidewal) and you'll see the difference.

S.
thomasotten
Well, i went ahead and ordered a set of these new Falken 912s. They replace the 512. THey seem to get good reviews on the Audi and VW forums, so we will see. I'll post pics and impressions when they arrive. $231 shipped from VulcanTire.com

IPB Image
thomasotten
I got those Falkens in. Falken Ziex 912. Kind of cool that their name is "912". Here are some pics...
thomasotten
What do you think? Hard to tell without being mounted. I still love my Yokohama A-509s the best.
purple
There is a Falken shop near my place...what size did you get? Those look great!
thomasotten
I got 195/60/15. The 912s have only been out a couple of months.
dlo914
How much did ya pick these up for? Didja look into the Falken FK452s?
purple
I really have half a mind to put some azenis 205 50 r15's on there and get some sick-ass grips

Purple
Joe Ricard
Unless you step up to a grippy tire compound you will never find out what a good tire really is.
Tread wear of 140
big solid tread blocks.

purple
Joe, I think i'll step up to a decent tire from what can best be described as a tugboat bumper. from there...who knows
thomasotten
Well, I went and had a couple of those Falken 912s mounted. Here's a shot of them mounted on rim and on car.
thomasotten
When I installed the Falkens, they seemed a little smaller in width than my old Yokohamas. When I was at the tire shop, I saw all over the place these BFGoodrich G-Sports, and they sure looked nice. I remembered that I could get them in 205/55/15. But that meant a gamble because they may not fit in the rear. Well, after doing some measurements, I decided to go back and purchase a pair. Yes, I know, I am crazy and obsessed! Well, I installed them, and they fit! Barely, but they fit. I checked the full range of travel by removing the shock, and rasing the trailing arm. I have about 1/8" clearance! I really think they are the bomb, at least in apprearance.
thomasotten
For my application, I think these are a lot closer to what I was looking for. It seems that the 195/60/15 tire size limits your selection. I thought these 205/55/15 tires might look a little too fat, but I like them.
thomasotten

I was given a copy of the August issue on 911 & Porsche world. There is a big spread on the 914. One thing that the writer brings up over and again is how the 914 shouldn't be lowered and shouldn't have low profile tires. He said it handles better the way the engineers designed it - that they knew what they were doing. Otherwise, a good article.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.