Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A lot of work went into this Por-Chev...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Series9
That may be so, but I assure you that my little 3.6 will KILL that stupid 5+Liter V8.

If a guy doesn't know how a sway bar works.......
jasons
QUOTE(Series9 @ Aug 19 2007, 09:50 PM) *

That may be so, but I assure you that my little 3.6 will KILL that stupid 5+Liter V8.

If a guy doesn't know how a sway bar works.......

Not if Chuck Norris is driving the V8.

Edit: or maybe Mike Ditka too.
TROJANMAN
Joe,
You're my hero wub.gif

biggrin.gif
michaelt55
Granted, you probably know what you are talking about but your method of getting it across is a tad manic. Whoever built the car, obviously knew something about cars. Maybe not an expert on 914's but knows the 911 on some type of car.

I think Andy was right...you have nothing better to do than pick this car apart. If I had made the mistake building the car and "messed up" an otherwise good build, I would hope you told me where I went wrong. Not hold me up for a public flogging and show your depth of knowledge.

Not everyone has the same idea of "the perfect car". I happen to like this one...shows some originality and some thought. Don't like the hood though...

Michael
euro911
I think he/they did a pretty good job constructing this car. The mistakes in the suspension and heat shielding could be modified with some inexpensive fab-werk ... and the front decklid can always be replaced ...

It's definitely nicer looking and probably more reliable than my 914 laugh.gif
charliew
I think when the car is sitting on it's wheels the angle of the links will improve. The wheels are at full droop. He has the springs set to ride higher so they will force the arms farther down when it's on a lift. His car may squat quite a bit when he takes off hard. Your yellow car sets quite a bit lower so the rear arms don't drop as far when the weights off the wheels. The bar could have already been on the car and he didn't notice the angle. He probably has never raced the car anywhere but at the stoplight, don't try him there with your porsche 3.6. you might get a lesson in torque. Also the shields are on the mufflers to prevent the heat from getting to the oil cooler it looks like to me. He put the bulge on the hood for the same reason I've got one on my k5 Blazer, he liked it.
Charlie
Series9
QUOTE(charliew @ Aug 20 2007, 02:19 AM) *

I think when the car is sitting on it's wheels the angle of the links will improve....

It's simply not true. The bar is mounted to the wrong place on the chassis. That bar doesn't work.

...Your yellow car sets quite a bit lower so the rear arms don't drop as far when the weights off the wheels.

My car isn't particularly low, and it doesn't matter anyway.

....don't try him there with your porsche 3.6. you might get a lesson in torque.

I promise you, that won't be the lesson. That engine alone weighs 175 pounds more than mine. The total installation is at least 250 pounds heavier.

The lesson: Power:weight is all that matters. That V8 has to make 100 hp more than mine just to offset its weight.
Series9
QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Aug 20 2007, 01:30 AM) *

........but your method of getting it across is a tad manic.

w00t.gif Hi. My name is Joe. I prefer the term "passionate". stirthepot.gif

OK. This was fun. Moving on.......
JoeSharp
Alright!!!!
This is a wake up call...I've been ignoring this thread until now.
If you want to increase the quality of the 914's in our World you had better start thinking about the details that you think have been done so well. How many u-bolts are on in that car? What? WTF is a u-bolt doing in a Porsche? It has heat shields everywhere, why? We need to educate each other in order to bring up the quality of the cars or suffer from the cars never being no more than the bastard that the porsche owners decided they should be back in the 70's.
I only spent about 5 minutes getting pissed about what We (the collective) know about cars. This is a point that I totally agree with brad roberts.
If you find a back yard solution for your car and it is fit for a Volkswagen don't put it on your Porsche.....
zymurgist
QUOTE(jasons @ Aug 17 2007, 06:07 PM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Aug 17 2007, 02:19 PM) *

Heat in the cockpit... hmmm, maybe the guy owns a Corvette.

LOL, I can relate to that!

Heh. Judging by your avatar picture and your location, I should say so! smile.gif
jasons
QUOTE(Series9 @ Aug 20 2007, 07:40 AM) *

QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Aug 20 2007, 01:30 AM) *

........but your method of getting it across is a tad manic.

w00t.gif Hi. My name is Joe. I prefer the term "passionate". stirthepot.gif

OK. This was fun. Moving on.......

If I could have an unlimited budget to build a car, I would want to build your RS almost exactly (or buy it outright). And I think that silver car looks like ass with the cowl induction hood, and parts from home depot. But c'mon, you came here (this thread) looking for a fight. You posted once, no one cared, then you went out of your way to make sure someone would give a shit.

SO, I think we should somehow arrange for Chuck Norris to drive that silver V8 and race you in your RS. Lets put talk aside, and get to 'man' business here.

happy11.gif
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Series9 @ Aug 19 2007, 08:38 PM) *

What? No replies?

Look. Horizontal drop links do absolutely nothing. The bushing brackets are about 2" too far aft.

It seems typical of the type of person who puts an American V8 in a 914. They're looking for 1/4 mile performance, while having no understanding of how a sports car actually works.

Have a look at the white outlines:

That's a sharp eye Joe, and I do agree that the installation of the sway bar is wrong. Now, not to kindle an arguement, but that sway bar WILL work however, just in a significantly reduced range of motion (and it may be so significantly reduced, that is is useless). He could fix that by installing longer links, or moving the pivot point forward as you say.

Good call on the CV boots not being protected well. He DID have the awareness however to understand that shielding was important, he just lacked your infrared-eye biggrin.gif

It's amazing how the variety of opinions on V8 Cars clash/crash/come together in this thread. I think people in general appreciate evidence of hard work, and skilled hands. The car has imperfections still, but remember, the motivation to modify (in the eye of the beholder) is the individuals' perception of imperfection (lack of power) and their quest to fix that. I find looking at and comparing cars like this fun because of the creativity and imagination of the builder and will always welcome posts like this.
Series9
QUOTE(jasons @ Aug 20 2007, 10:29 AM) *

....... you came here (this thread) looking for a fight.

SO, I think we should somehow arrange for Chuck Norris to drive that silver V8 and race you in your RS. Lets put talk aside, and get to 'man' business here.

happy11.gif

I actually first looked because I hoped to see some nice engineering.

As for a race with Chuck, get him on the phone. I'm in.

Of course, it'll have to be a drag race because I'm sure that car doesn't turn or stop any more. chowtime.gif
charliew
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 17 2007, 12:45 PM) *

One of the nicest conversions I have ever seen. I like the side scoops on the rockers and rear quarter panels. Something tells me they are functional and not just for looks. I see a radiator AND and oil cooler. Do I also see air conditioning? I'd sure like to know more about the shifter mechanism. Is that a 915 trans? I also like the heat shieldes around the Magnaflo mufflers as well as other places. All in all just a very nice job. Even if you're not a V8 person, you gotta love this car.
cheers, Elliot

I would really like to try the shifter out. I don't see any mechanical way to reliably twist the tranny shaft with spherical ball ends.

Charlie
aircooledboy
QUOTE(Series9 @ Aug 20 2007, 09:35 AM) *

I promise you, that won't be the lesson. That engine alone weighs 175 pounds more than mine. The total installation is at least 250 pounds heavier.

I'd like to know where those numbers come from. I see people throw around numbers like that in nearly every V8 thread. I don't know for sure, but my gut tells me there is no way your 3.6 w/ cooler, tank & lines is 250 lbs less than an aluminium head 350. It's probably less, but not 2-fity. If you can back that position up, I'd like to see it.

The lesson: Power:weight is all that matters. That V8 has to make 100 hp more than mine just to offset its weight.

bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif

I've never called bullshit before, but I've gotta do it here. That's some pretty fancy math there. If in order to keep up with your car a V8 has to make up 100 hp to offset that 250 lbs I'm not buying anyway, that means your car must be making 1hp/2.5lbs. So, either your car is making about 880hp, in which case congrats are in order, or your car weighs about 875 lbs, which is amazing based on the pics I've seen, or bs.gif is in order.

Everybody is entitled to their personal opinion on the merits of a particular conversion, but I get tired of the made up numbers to justify the "V8s suck" point of view.
michaelt55
Joe,
I have a 215 all aluminum V8 in mine, weighs the same or less than your 6 with all its equipment. Its roughly about 215 hp by the dyno here in Houston. Only thing I gave up was the center of gravity and not by very much. As soon as I get rid of this tail shifter, I think even you would have to admire the torque and driveability of the engine. I also have a 1150 lb fiberglass kit car with a 2056 in it. The V8 eats it for lunch.

I try not ridicule anyone on this board, regardless of their views. I think that is one reason the board split was due to the "passionate" posts by people. I hope history does not repeat itself. This thread is done in my opinion

Michael
URY914
popcorn[1].gif
drive-ability
Series9

I love the way my V8 runs, I don't know how quick a 3.6 would be but I guess its quite a gas to drive. I built my car for a tad over 16k, what do you have in your project? I guess a bit more or ?
JoeSharp
I thought this thread was about the quality of the car in the e-bay add.
jasons
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Aug 21 2007, 02:02 AM) *

I thought this thread was about the quality of the car in the e-bay add.

I've been following this thread somewhat closely and it has actually had a profound affect on me. No bullshit and I aint sharing why, you wouldn't care anyway.

Anywho.....

It was about that and it had just about been played out. But posts like these...

It seems typical of the type of person who puts an American V8 in a 914. They're looking for 1/4 mile performance, while having no understanding of how a sports car actually works.

And....

.... Are going to illicit a response. Dontyathink? I'm not saying anyones right or wrong technically or socially, but you can't expect opinions this strong to not be countered by opinions just as strong. I mean when someone starts talking Porsche engine swaps, we are bordering on a passion that is exceeded only by Religon and Politics. And we all know most of those debates end with bad feelings.

jmmotorsports

I think Ford when they built the GT40, Jim Hall with the Chapperel,lola t-70, McLaren all had a pretty good understanding of how a sports car works when they put what you call stupid V8's in them.

I have a 914 V8 that stpos and goes around corners every bit as well as your car dose. And I don't need Chuck Norris or anybody else to drive it for me.

Jerry
drive-ability
For me it was a few flakes who decide to just start comparing there cars to others. If you get off on putting down others best efforts I suggest showing off you little car in a Ferrari forum. My guess your best effort will be laughed off the site. I'm done stirthepot.gif
jaminM3
QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Aug 21 2007, 08:26 AM) *

I think Ford when they built the GT40, Jim Hall with the Chapperel,lola t-70, McLaren all had a pretty good understanding of how a sports car works when they put what you call stupid V8's in them.

I have a 914 V8 that stpos and goes around corners every bit as well as your car dose. And I don't need Chuck Norris or anybody else to drive it for me.

Jerry

Can we see more pics of the car in your avatar? It looks sweet.. drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.