Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 Irish Green 2.0... Edit: "The Outed" Green Teen...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
73Phoenix20
...Waiting with baited breath...

Never was quite sure what that mean't, but it seems appropriate here!

unsure.gif
swl
QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Aug 23 2007, 06:01 PM) *

...Waiting with baited breath...

Never was quite sure what that mean't, but it seems appropriate here!

unsure.gif

I love word/phrase origins biggrin.gif

Bated here is a contraction of abated through loss of the unstressed first vowel (a process called aphesis); it has the meaning “reduced, lessened, lowered in force”. So bated breath refers to a state in which you almost stop breathing through terror, awe, extreme anticipation, or anxiety.

hwgunner
I just coppied this stuff from their website. Seems like BS!

We stock only the highest quality cars with complete documentation. The majority of the vehicles in our inventory are stock, original, low-mileage, matching-numbers cars that would be competitive in local (if not national) car shows. We also appreciate the value of quality restorations and cars that have been "personalized" by their owners. Each car in our inventory has been given a thorough inspection by our METICULOUS mechanic. If we find something about the car that needs attention, we will either have it fixed before we offer it for sale, or provide you with an estimate of what it might cost to make it "perfect."

Pricing

Like you, we are appalled at the pricing and negotiating practices of typical car dealers. As a result, we don't pad our prices to experience the "thrill" of negotiating. We price our cars at what we believe to be their "fair market value." We will openly share our research with you, and provide you with the documentation that supports the price that we set.

Our Rating System

Concours

Rarely-driven show car, highly-detailed wheel wells, engine compartment and chassis, mechanically and cosmetically perfect, top 1% of that model nationally.

Exceptional

Extremely low miles, weekend car, highly-detailed exterior and interior, complete service records, cosmetically near-perfect, top 5% of that model nationally

Excellent

Driven less than 5K miles per year, highly-detailed exterior and interior, extensive documentation, cosmetically near-perfect, top 20% of that model nationally.
73Phoenix20
Works for me!

"terror, awe, extreme anticipation..."

Yeah, that's about right!

BTW, Orthobiz, I would pay three times more for your mint and ORIGINAL 1974 1.8 Liter than I would pay for this "refurbished" 1974 1.8 / 1973 2.0 Irish Green / Zambezi Green "concoction"...

Not that you are ever selling! Just making your day!

Call me a CW and be done with it, but provenance is everything on these older Porsches... Otherwise, lets just put VW 1600's in fiberglass and run around happy as a lark and call them Speedsters!!!
Al Meredith
Hey Steve and George, My 1970 914-6 has on the "Karmann" plate the #23 . I was what my son Blake calls Blood Orange. Steve, your car is blood orange and you told me it was a #23. On the color chart that is linked to this thread there is no #23. Any comments???? Al
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Aug 23 2007, 05:05 PM) *

I work about 5 miles from the address they give. I have plans this evening at home, but I may do a drive by on the way home just to see what resides at that address.

Sorry for the late reply. I drove by on the way home. I didn't have time to stop. Sign on the front door said "by appointment only" anyhow. Couldn't see through front if any cars were stored inside. Looked to be more of an office vs. showroom. Interestingly enough there was a transporter parked beside the building. By the looks of the stickers on the trailer, it looked to have a World Challenge Viper inside.

I know everyone wants to roast whoever this is. I tend to want to give them a chance to update their info as they may not have been aware of the true details on the car.
Jamie
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 23 2007, 07:25 AM) *

QUOTE(levonfarra @ Aug 22 2007, 06:04 PM) *

73 had metal sills. 74 had black plastic.

good. But actually the jan 73 up cars had black plastic

My all original 02/73 has metal sills!
rhodyguy
so you have to call for an appointment to view, leave a message, and cool your heels until they return your call. the co policys are interesting.

k
smg914
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Aug 23 2007, 06:50 PM) *

Hey Steve and George, My 1970 914-6 has on the "Karmann" plate the #23 . I was what my son Blake calls Blood Orange. Steve, your car is blood orange and you told me it was a #23. On the color chart that is linked to this thread there is no #23. Any comments???? Al

Hello Al,
Tangerine L21E and Blood Orange 23 are the same color. I believe all 914-6's came with the number 23 or 023 on the door post and most if not all 914-4's came with the L21E code on the door post.

The certificate of authenticity for my 1970 914-6 shows: Paint Code 23 Tangerine (blood orange)
tod914
I flew down to Atlanta alittle over 5 years ago to look at that car, as being sold by a private party. It was represented as an original 2.0 at the time. But, after some research, I discovered it was originally a 1.8. I was looking for a concours level car at the time. That car has alot of nos parts that George put on, which are certianly worth some money and are very appealing. Such as the complete interior and fuchs. The body in my opinion was in good shape. Certanialy not concours level. There was pinkish acid stains on the rear trunk lid, surface rust under the whole undercarriage, and the respray that George refered to previously. One of the bumpers, the front I believe was showing signs of rust through the rechrome. Engine had plenty of punch to it, although the accelerator cable was sticking. I can go into greater detail if someone is seriously interested in the car. I decided against it for a variety of reasons. Can't comment on it's current condition. Can only comment on it from what I recall from seeing back then. I believe I still have coorespondence saved in my emails on that one. Be very curious as to what they are asking for it.
73Phoenix20
This just gets interestinger and interestinger !!!!

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
por73914
QUOTE(tod914 @ Aug 23 2007, 11:38 PM) *

I flew down to Atlanta alittle over 5 years ago to look at that car, as being sold by a private party. It was represented as an original 2.0 at the time. But, after some research, I discovered it was originally a 1.8. I was looking for a concours level car at the time. That car has alot of nos parts that George put on, which are certianly worth some money and are very appealing. Such as the complete interior and fuchs. The body in my opinion was in good shape. Certanialy not concours level. There was pinkish acid stains on the rear trunk lid, surface rust under the whole undercarriage, and the respray that George refered to previously. One of the bumpers, the front I believe was showing signs of rust through the rechrome. Engine had plenty of punch to it, although the accelerator cable was sticking. I can go into greater detail if someone is seriously interested in the car. I decided against it for a variety of reasons. Can't comment on it's current condition. Can only comment on it from what I recall from seeing back then. I believe I still have coorespondence saved in my emails on that one. Be very curious as to what they are asking for it.

How much was it 5 years ago?
faster48
I was told $30K and someone already has a deposit on it. They are oblivious to the incorrect stats and, by my impression, unconcerned.
Hopefully the gentleman flying in to look at the car knows what to look for...
pfierb
Such a ta do.... I really don't think there are too many that would kick that car out of bed.Sure is pretty looking.
73Phoenix20
"Oblivious" and "Unconcerned"...

Sounds like used car sales types to me!!!

Let The Buyer Beware!

We still have yet to hear from a Legal Eagle as to the issues of a dealer knowingly misrepresenting the car... what is their liablity? I know that in most states, if the dealer sells you a car showing 3.7K and it turns out to have over 70K, they are going to be giving you your money back!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(tod914 @ Aug 23 2007, 09:38 PM) *

believe it or not that was a brand new factory bumper that we had installed on that car. I saw the flaw you are speaking of several years later after we sold it and was disappointed that the factory bumper did that. The under carriage is typical for a non undercoated southern car, some rust color throughout but not rot! That is par for the course on most of the even no mile 914s these days. It went to two owners after we sold it and they were obviously non Porsche concours enthusiasts, and did not give the car the attention it needed.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 23 2007, 06:07 PM) *

I told the guy off!

Someone had to do it!
Pat

and you are good at that!!!! (JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)[size=7][indent][size=7]
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Aug 23 2007, 07:50 PM) *

YES there is maybe 2310 same as 911 prefix color code. blood orange or tangerine. The factory painted many many sixes this color. Hey
Al when are you going to begin the restoration of your six?? If not there are many of us who would like to do your car!!!!!! (so to speak)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 23 2007, 07:53 PM) *

wow wow later than I had seen!!! the 05/73 and 06/73 1973 models on the lot BOTH have the black. Soo the question is when the change exactly. Many Many of the changes were made to the 914s on calendar change dates, meaning Jan 1 of the following year.
swl
same on my new 02/73 yellow one. Aluminum. They have been removed at some point but look consistent with rest of the car. No reason to suspect that they are replacements.
orthobiz
Thanks for the compliment 73Phoenix20!!!

Paul
73Phoenix20
He, He! Never claimed to be an English Language student!!!

Just a student of fine Porsches!

And you are welcome! Best original one we have seen so far!
black73
QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 23 2007, 08:53 PM) *

Yep, metal on my 2/73 also
jaminM3
This picture was on a Ebay listing last month that had claimed to be '73 original 2.0 and the manufacture date is 3/73.
jaminM3
This car is 5/73
73Phoenix20
...March 1973... Aluminum Sills...Click to view attachment

dr914@autoatlanta.com
Just heard from Cam at the dealership, very nice guy, very concerned about listing the wrong info on the car. (It is indeed the same car we once had here) Chad said that he will post here and immediately correct the info. They wanted 35,000 for the car (which by any stretch is very high) but would now repost the car with the proper info and drop the price. For clarification, the car body and transmission has about 71,000 miles and Mary's 2.0 engine we installed, now has about 90,000 on it. (It was a factory rebuild put in the 1973 that she destroyed here in Atlanta back in 1985!, and at that time it had about 83,000 miles on it.
73Phoenix20
And We Have A Winnah!!!

$35,000.00... Amazing... pegged that one right on the money!

So for all of you folks that wanted into the Pool, just send $5.00 each to George, and I will be scheduling dinner with him for later this Fall!

Yep, Dickel Special Reserve, Porterhouse, Rare, Baked P, and fresh Peach Cobbler with real whipped cream!!! I can almost taste it!

Okay, second Pool is now open... How much will they have the balls to ask for the "outed" Green Teen???

Nope, I won't venture a guess on this one! It's all up to the rest of you!
914-8
That's the problem with tampering with the mileage on a car.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Cam Just e mailed and said that they updated their website on the car: http://www.theaircooledguys.com/Inventory/...61/Default.aspx

Still got it wrong though!
pfierb
He is trying though.....You got to give him credit for that.
73Phoenix20
Yes, indeed! We got his attention (or at least, George did!) and he is trying to restate things correctly...

Did you see some of the other "hardware" that he has for sale? Pretty impressive pedigrees! Just hope there is more accuracy to them than in the case of "Mean Green 914"...

but $67K for a 73 T just seems a bit over the top... of course, I'm still smarting for letting mine go for $12,500.00, and with only 11,000 original miles on it! Bahia Red, too! Oh, well, life goes on, and after all, that was 17 years ago!
Ferg
QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Aug 25 2007, 03:30 PM) *

Yes, indeed! We got his attention (or at least, George did!) and he is trying to restate things correctly...

Did you see some of the other "hardware" that he has for sale? Pretty impressive pedigrees! Just hope there is more accuracy to them than in the case of "Mean Green 914"...

but $67K for a 73 T just seems a bit over the top... of course, I'm still smarting for letting mine go for $12,500.00, and with only 11,000 original miles on it! Bahia Red, too! Oh, well, life goes on, and after all, that was 17 years ago!

I miss that car too sad.gif

(I owned 73Phoenix2.0's Bahi Red 73.5 T as well) small world smile.gif

Ferg
carreraguy
Just saw this thread. The seller's have been in business for a quite a while and I am acquainted with one of their principals. They ony deal in high quality concours-level cars so I am more than inclined to give them the "benefit of the doubt" that they just didn't know 914's well enough. Next time I'm sure they'll be more careful; maybe they'll ask some of our experts? biggrin.gif
Later,
Midtowner
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 24 2007, 11:26 AM) *

wow wow later than I had seen!!! the 05/73 and 06/73 1973 models on the lot BOTH have the black. Soo the question is when the change exactly. Many Many of the changes were made to the 914s on calendar change dates, meaning Jan 1 of the following year.

I can confirm that 06/73 had black sills or at least mine does.

Click to view attachment
tod914
How much was it 5 years ago?

The buyer payed $22,500 for it, from autoatlanta if memory serves me corectly. It was represented as a 33K milage 2.0. We agreed to $12,500 over the phone if the car was, as described. Needless to say it was not. The owner at the time, didn't know alot about 914's. It was purchased for his brother in law. At that time $12,500, was about par for an exceptional original condition, low milage 914.
Good to see they made some corrections on their website smile.gif beerchug.gif Would be a beautiful car with an exterior respray. The pictures are decieving on the exterior paint. The trunks were immaculate, and so much eye candy with all those nos parts drooley.gif
pfierb
QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Aug 25 2007, 07:30 PM) *

Talk about missing a car ...Till the day I die I'll never stop kicking myself for selling,in 1974, my 1971 E-type Jaguar roadster for $4000 that I bought brand new in 1971 for $6000 tax included....God but I loved that car and still do ....To get in it and go for a ride was like getting into your own Spitfire to go chase off the Luftwaffe.
dr914@autoatlanta.com

And I will NEVER sell my 1971 series ll Jag roadster white with blue. NEVER

By the way when we sold the green car years ago It was represented as 68,000 miles with a 73 2.0 engine with 83,000 on it and an immaculate concours entry car!!!!!! I think that we sold it for $19,500.

QUOTE(pfierb @ Aug 26 2007, 06:01 AM) *

Talk about missing a car ...Till the day I die I'll never stop kicking myself for selling,in 1974, my 1971 E-type Jaguar roadster for $4000 that I bought brand new in 1971 for $6000 tax included....God but I loved that car and still do ....To get in it and go for a ride was like getting into your own Spitfire to go chase off the Luftwaffe.

pfierb
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 26 2007, 01:00 PM) *

By the way when we sold the green car years ago It was represented as 68,000 miles with a 73 2.0 engine with 83,000 on it and an immaculate concours entry car!!!!!! I think that we sold it for $19,500.

Silver with black leather ....one of the last 6 cylinder roadsters made...I still have the ign. key to it.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes and mine too. What a car! Mine was made in october one of the last as well!

Certainly does in NO WAY drive as well as a 914, but beautiful to look at. Each night when I go home I lift the flannel car cover and wink at it before going in and making love to my wife!

QUOTE(pfierb @ Aug 26 2007, 10:11 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 26 2007, 01:00 PM) *

Silver with black leather ....one of the last 6 cylinder roadsters made...I still have the ign. key to it.

1970 Neun vierzehn
hijacked.gif
The XK-E, 'specially the Series 1, one car on my top 10 list

pfierb
Probably the most beautiful car ever sculpted !!!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The latest is that the car is now available for $18,000
ConeDodger
George, I have to say... it is a credit to your work that a business such as Road Scholar would put their reputation on the line by representing a car as 3700 miles. They would not be fooled easily. That must be one nice car.
xperu
QUOTE(Midtowner @ Aug 26 2007, 12:33 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 24 2007, 11:26 AM) *

I can confirm that 06/73 had black sills or at least mine does.

Click to view attachment

My 08/73 Has Black Sills
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 27 2007, 10:11 AM) *

George, I have to say... it is a credit to your work that a business such as Road Scholar would put their reputation on the line by representing a car as 3700 miles. They would not be fooled easily. That must be one nice car.

Thank you! As true enthusiasts here it is important to enter all of the concours competitions for fun and maybe to get a trophy or two! That green car eight years ago was steller. I told the road scholar guy that we would love to get it back and spend some time freshening it up.
914-8
Now's the time to buy it back, it's on sale for half price!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.