Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outing a ripoff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
pete-stevers
this is the most henious crime i have ever heard about........
good grief... blink.gif
i think i will talk to my mom..... idea.gif
she will put craig on the prayer chain pronto.... happy11.gif
Matt Meyer
[
I doubt that making a piston style support for a 914 would ever be patentable...I think it has to be a new item, not just a new "application"....but since I've never stayed at a Holliday Inn......

I am pretty sure a new application is patentable, but I have seen trunks and hoods and lift gates being held up by piston style supports before. Using one on a 914 instead of a Honduh isn't patentable I don’t think.

And patenting a new application gives you rights to that application not to the original item, so it doesn't matter any way.

So if Fred patented the pneumatic cylinder and Barney patented the cylinder to support a hood, then Barney couldn't actually sell the cylinders to support hoods without obtaining the rights from Fred. And Fred couldn't use his cylinders to support hoods without obtaining the rights from Barney.

But, if there were any money in it, before either gets their idea off the ground, Mr. Slate will come in and start marketing the pistons for CONGLOMO Inc. and then tie up Fred and Barney in court costs so they never see a dime while CONGLOMO makes millions.

This is not a comment to the subject of the thread, just a comment on if you can patent a new application and further ramblings because the original subject of the thread is RESOLVED so hijacking seems OK and I am very very tired but waiting for my report to print before I go home.
Jake Raby
Anyone checked into the costs of a patent lately.

Done correctly the prices start at 20K... Anyone have any idea how many of the questioned components sales it would take to make the patent effective???

My DTM concept is not patented, that didn't stop me from shutting down the bastard that copied one and doing so permanently- just made it more difficult.
nein14
QUOTE(9146986 @ Sep 30 2007, 06:20 PM) *

I'm glad to know there has been a resolution.

This is IMHO, a matter of credibility.

agree.gif
Sparky
I'm glad Craig and Ed hugged and worked it out, now can we all have a big group hug and move on?

I really just wanna hug. drunk.gif
pfierb
QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 30 2007, 06:05 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 30 2007, 03:58 PM) *

How long ago was this? I bought a rear trunk kit from Craig close to 8 years ago? I know I've never had a problem with Craig in any aspect. I've done quite a bit of business with him too. I'm sure he will chime in & work everything out. Let's not bury the guy before we hear his side of things. poke.gif

I agree that we should have Craig chime in, and I'm sure he will. smile.gif

In the meantime... here is a cute animal photo.

//edit - there he is! smile.gif //

I hate cats they give me asthma!!!!!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Sparky @ Oct 1 2007, 05:36 AM) *

I really just wanna hug. drunk.gif

Oh, OK... HEY, WATCH THOSE HANDS!!!

--DD
dinomium
credibility?
Glass houses...
dry.gif
ChrisFoley
It does look like this could have been resolved without going public.
Perhaps Craig didn't exercise due diligence in his research and should not have copied the original instruction document, but there appears to have been no attempt at IP theft.
I'm guessing Ed hasn't been marketing these effectively so no one really knew about that source.
So.Cal.914
Craig has always seemed fair and knowledgeable. If they were able to work out a

solution that is good enough for me.
TINCAN914
When ever possible take these things off line. In many cases stuff like this can be resolved without trashing people, especially by those that don't know the facts, or by those who are not directly involved. I have complete faith in Craig, as I have done business with him a number of times, and will continue to do so. He is one of the good guys.
shelby/914
agree.gif 100%

I only have 3 or 4 cars with these type pistons installed to raise the hood or trunk. You can buy replacements in any flaps, so the mounting hardware is the only thing that seems unique to a 914. So WTF confused24.gif
neo914-6
I would have never noticed Ed's initials on the instructions from CAMP914 or had known Ed sold gas springs at some time. confused24.gif

The installation documentation is not unique but it does represent Ed's time and "should" have been compensated for it if not rewritten. In reality, who actually paid much attention to the instructions except for the hard measurements? When I purchased them, Craig told me there are many installation threads on the site and that was good enough for me.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
this all goes back to my point. With the limited number of 914s out there and the dire need for aftermarket parts as every day the factory discontinues them, why make something that someone else is already making? If anyone out there wants to make something, more power to them, but make something that someone else is not making already. The problem will then be solved! We are all a community here and supplying parts for the 914 goes way beyond competition. (one can only divide the pie so much!)
rhodyguy
good points. why should more than one firm sell repro le valances? why bother to make them at all? why offer 2 versions when 1 will do? why not just offer a deluxe version at the economy price? why market driving lights when they are avail from the person who had the brackets made up? why sell after market speaker enclosures when they avail from the person who desgned them? the pies can only be cut into so many pieces.

k
stateofidleness
because "competition" (and competition can simply mean more sources) lowers prices

lower prices = better for us

better for us = happy
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Oct 1 2007, 11:15 AM) *

because "competition" (and competition can simply mean more sources) lowers prices

better for us = happy

Not always true in this community though. Many of the people here want to make things that they will benefit themselves and in return they sell it to others as they now know what to do. They generally aren't making much of a profit anyway.
IronHillRestorations
My point is you don't take someone else's work and sell it as yours.

If you are going to rip someone else's "non-patented" product, fine I don't have a problem with that. It happens all the time. OK, I'd be the first to agree that no one's going to get rich off this stuff. So why would anyone would go through the trouble, and not at least make your own freakin' instructions is beyond me.

Calling your knock-off "the original" and selling the installation instructions written by someone else as your own, is just plain wrong.

If anyone here took the time to write a technical article, with photos, etc, is it OK if I call it my work? I think not.

As far as taking this offline, c'mon this is the information age, we as a community shouldn't accept practices like this. If you are going to make claims and tout your product, you shouldn't have questions/issues of this nature.

Dino, when has my credibility ever been in question? Please elaborate, I'd be the first who'd like to know.
Aaron Cox
ok... things have been worked out.

the following is just my PERSONAL opinion, and does not neccesarily reflect that of 914world.com admins etc.

My question is, why didnt the 2 involved parties get in contact with each other? did it really need other people bringing the case to the people? When i have a problem, i try and work it out with the other party, i tend to not let my friends express how *I* feel.

SLITS
Since everyone is piss and vinegar over this shit ..... are you going to out this guy too? Or is this Ed?

eBay Shock Kit from Michigan
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 1 2007, 12:06 PM) *

My question is, why didnt the 2 involved parties get in contact with each other? did it really need other people bringing the case to the people? When i have a problem, i try and work it out with the other party, i tend to not let my friends express how *I* feel.

Amen!
Lavanaut
...and beyond that, i think it's BS when someone gets on this forum (or any forum, 914 or not) and says, "I know a nasty secret about one of your friends, should I tell you?". WTF.gif Passive/agressive BS. Once you've said that, you've already said enough. Just come out with it or don't post in the first place!

Back to minding my own business...

(sorry for b2b posts)
stateofidleness
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Oct 1 2007, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Oct 1 2007, 11:15 AM) *

better for us = happy

Not always true in this community though. Many of the people here want to make things that they will benefit themselves and in return they sell it to others as they now know what to do. They generally aren't making much of a profit anyway.

oh agreed! but just in general that rule applies.. it was in reference to rhodyguy

semi OT but oddly OnT... do these kits work good or what?
i hate that heavy ass rear trunk lid... is it worth "modifying" with drill holes to install this kit?
SLITS
They work just great .... no matter where you get them.
cooltimes
I sure am puzzled by the way some, even power posters, who want to keep open mind 914 chit chat suppressed YET when anyone should see someone with an ad while surfing the internet, it gets a pop up here for dissing as a direct subject without any problems about protocol, discretion or why they are selling whatever and probably the one getting dissed will never know it happened.

This occurs so frequently about those selling anything, ANYWHERE.

Many of these same shoosher's care nothing about the stranger's or even another list user who may post very few times, yet slammers are smacking on the credibility of those whose ad is getting knocked around like it does.

Dr. knows that feeling.

Sure is puzzling yet I think it will keep being the same until all 914's dissolves.

Mike Cooley
Brian Mifsud
I wonder if this would have been resolved if things had all happened "offline". Not to diss any of the parties involved, it looks like they worked it out in a reasonable manner.

I believe this "community" has a self-policing aspect to it that seems to have worked in this case. People who like to use this resource have a vested interest in "behaving". I'm glad it's working and speaks of the integrity of this community.

Thanks All
ClayPerrine
dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif
xperu
OT a little. I honestly do not know how thing work or how to go about it with the Admin, but what do you do when you purchase something on the parts board and you don't receive the item you paid for. I have contacted the individual three time over the past couple of months and he has responded twice by stating he would send the item, I finally asked for the money back with no responce yet. The amount will not break me, but $150 is $150. I beleive my feelings are hurt or I am disappointed about the matter and mad. It's one thing to have an issue with a vendor; it happens. But in the spirit of the forum and the members I'm steamed. I have tried to give it as much time as I think is necessary to resolve the payment issue, do I just walk away and chalk it up to a life experience. I really like the forum and have benifited from it a great deal, I have also bought and sold on the parts board. I really don't want to cast any bad light on the forum, because I enjoy the site very much. Any suggestions. Thanks Mike
rmital
QUOTE(xperu @ Oct 1 2007, 04:49 PM) *

....I finally asked for the money back with no responce yet. The amount will not break me, but $150 is $150....

I could always use a $150...but I got 2 kids, 2 dogs and a wife....yahoo!

I just like to deal with members that have some time around the board. If they had a dozen posts outside of the classifieds, I'd usually pass if it was more money than I'd like to lose.

Mike..hope you get your $$ back or at least the part. (what was the part?..might have something laying around)
PeeGreen 914
Hey Mike

I would say just be patient, and keep bothering the guy until you get what is owed. Many of us here are good people that will give stuff away, some will sell it for little, and some are a$$es. It's just dealing with people. Just because they own a 914 doesn't make them a great person. However, I would hope that this guy will make right. The majority of the people on here are good to deal with, but as they say "one bad apple spoils the bunch." Good luck.
Eric_Shea
Mike (xperu) please contact me with the sellers information.
cooltimes
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 1 2007, 03:48 PM) *

dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif

WTF.gif Why 39 deadhorses?
shades.gif av-943.gif
Pnambic
Ya know, I was thinking of creating and marketing a new product....I was thinking of a fabric type of toneau cover for the passenger compartment....maybe held in place by bungees to the wheel wells....that covers everything from the base of the front windshield to the back of the engine cover.

Trying to think of a good name....maybe something about an umbrella....

*runs before Perry beats me to a pulp*

Seriously though, I had NO IDEA that anyone other than Craig made the trunk shocks. Has he ever posted his products in the vendor's area? I see here that Ed says he no longer supplies them. That means Craig can go for it right? Maybe I missed some other developments...I dunno. confused24.gif

And by the way Perry, your umbrella cover is on my list of things to buy. Do you do different colors?

grantsfo
Glad this incredible ripoff artist was outed by you. The world is a safer place now.

...question ...are trunk struts really anything special that a member can truly say they designed? Doesn't look like anything specific to the 914 was designed other than install notes. Looks pretty much like off the shelf parts for general application were used. confused24.gif
IronHillRestorations
So it's OK with you if someone else calls themselves Team Pirate Racing and uses your logo? Is it OK if someone copies your website and calls it their own?
orthobiz
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 1 2007, 04:48 PM) *

These horses are NOT dead. They're just SLEEPING.

Paul
sww914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 1 2007, 10:42 AM) *

this all goes back to my point. With the limited number of 914s out there and the dire need for aftermarket parts as every day the factory discontinues them, why make something that someone else is already making? If anyone out there wants to make something, more power to them, but make something that someone else is not making already. The problem will then be solved! We are all a community here and supplying parts for the 914 goes way beyond competition. (one can only divide the pie so much!)

Plagiarist!
That was not your point, it was my point! But if I'm able to make you think that my thoughts are yours, I'll concentrate on this one-
Send Steve Willie the 916
He deserves it.
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
rhodyguy
xperu (mike), get your money. the seller should have provided you with a tracking #. that can not be disputed. good luck.

k
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Oct 1 2007, 05:18 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 1 2007, 03:48 PM) *

shades.gif av-943.gif

Because I started removing them after the board said that I had too many of them to post.

Oh.... and this is for everyone. The point I was trying to make is that the two parties resolved the issue. Why are we dead horse.gif ???????? (Or a horse that is "pining for the fjords?)
Eric_Shea
I count 40.
cooltimes
shades.gif av-943.gif

Because I started removing them after the board said that I had too many of them to post.

Oh.... and this is for everyone. The point I was trying to make is that the two parties resolved the issue. Why are we dead horse.gif ???????? (Or a horse that is "pining for the fjords?)

Can't help but say that threads like this are shockers sometimes but the area involved is just 914 people, all who are friends over the course of anything said.

Most times you can't get things straightened out by being mute and silent.

2900 views or more found the thread of value. Let it go full course. Everyone knowns the question asked has merit to know how it was answered by the group.

Camp914 is a highly thought of business by everyone I suspect. I know I respect there venue of why Camp914 is in operation. Ed V. His quest was to remedy and it happened. PK is not a trouble maker for bringing this to bear. The middle people, all of us that commented, wanted something good to happen from this and it did.
Beating the path sometimes gives firm ground in esteem and moral integrity.

Cooley
Lou W
I saw "3:10 to Yuma" yesterday, I think there were 39 dead horses in that movie. happy11.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Oct 1 2007, 03:07 PM) *

Hey Mike

I would say just be patient, and keep bothering the guy until you get what is owed. Many of us here are good people that will give stuff away, some will sell it for little, and some are a$$es. It's just dealing with people. Just because they own a 914 doesn't make them a great person. However, I would hope that this guy will make right. The majority of the people on here are good to deal with, but as they say "one bad apple spoils the bunch." Good luck.

Well said!

Everyone....everyone I have dealt with has been "stand up". I've had a single dispute that was rectified instantly, to the benefit of both parties.

I, personally, am very proud to not know (because we haven't met) most of the members of this non-club. Well, that doesn't exactly come off right but I hope you know what I mean. I don't think one bad apple spoils the bunch, just a small corner of the bushel we can all move away from.
grantsfo
QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 1 2007, 04:51 PM) *

So it's OK with you if someone else calls themselves Team Pirate Racing and uses your logo? Is it OK if someone copies your website and calls it their own?

Why yes. I encourage that kind behavior. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
as craig POSTED, the matter is RESOLVED. no blood, no foul. good thing craig has made MEGA bucks rolleyes.gif on the strut kits. that has allowed him to provide front money and doorprize/auction items for most of the 914 events. hand bitten...hopefully the pockets don't go shallow.

k
nein14
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 2 2007, 08:02 AM) *

as craig POSTED, the matter is RESOLVED. no blood, no foul. good thing craig has made MEGA bucks rolleyes.gif on the strut kits. that has allowed him to provide front money and doorprize/auction items for most of the 914 events. hand bitten...hopefully the pockets don't go shallow.

k

WTF.gif Bottom line he copied a kit that was not his made money on it , doesn't matter how much!! That speaks LOUDLY about a persons Integrity and Credibility!!!!

Thanks to Perry for outing him smilie_pokal.gif
rhodyguy
fuck...i surrender.
So.Cal.914
New software needs to be written so we can put up more 'Dead Horses'...I like dead things.
grantsfo
QUOTE(' date='Oct 1 2007, 05:51 PM @ Oct 1 2007, 05:51 PM)

piratenanner.gif Yeah I'd encourage that behavior since I'm not a commercial venture of any kind and don't really bring any value to the market place. The more pirates the better! Similar to someone who sources general application trunk struts and sells them as 914 trunk struts.

I don't see much stealing going on here. Just people offering community a source of commodity products. About the only thing I see here is a bit of laziness in reusing instructions developed by someone else. But come on! trunk struts a proprietary item? biggrin.gif
brer
QUOTE(nein14 @ Oct 2 2007, 09:21 AM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 2 2007, 08:02 AM) *

k

WTF.gif Bottom line he copied a kit that was not his made money on it , doesn't matter how much!! That speaks LOUDLY about a persons Integrity and Credibility!!!!

Thanks to Perry for outing him smilie_pokal.gif

Well, then I guess America has one more person it has to answer too.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.