Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MassIVe redefined.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Brett W
Look good. Hope you are going to be using some sort of Shaft Rocker system like the jesel stuff. Very high quality and easy to get.

The stock engine block is good for 600+hp. No need for another one. Flywheels will be an issue in drag racing but it should be OK for everything else.
Jake Raby
The machine shop that whittled these out will be making a shaft system similar to Jesel from scratch.

This part of the developmet is the part I expect to be the most challenging and thats because Shad got to this point with the heads and then stopped. The opposing angles for the intake and exhaust valves further complicate things.
Brett W
These shouldn't be much different than the SB2 or splayed valve heads from Chevy back in the 90s. The location of the rockers will be the biggest issue. I bet you could call Jesel and ask them their thoughts. They could probably lend their experience for a small few. Sometimes it is easier to talk to guys that have already done exactly what you are trying to do, to get the benefit of their failures.

Might even save you some money in the long run.
Jake Raby
Brett,
The issue with the SB2 splayed set up for rockers is the rocker length to meet our valve tips and pushrod tube positions...

Alot of whats used in these heads came from the SB2 and Cosworth designs..
alpha434
Yeah. Jake is going to have to use some funny length rockers to hit each valve.

It's just "finding" the right spot for the pivot. And calculating for a 2:1 ratio. Yee. Sweet.
Brett W
You raise a good point. I forgot how far away from the valves the pushrods are in these engines. They are really wide compared to the SBC style heads. SB2 is a good head. Makes great power. The new RO7 heads should be even better.
Dr Evil
Over head cam would kick ass idea.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 12 2007, 08:24 PM) *

Over head cam would kick ass idea.gif

BUT it wouldn't fit into the unaltered engine bay of any of the cars we work with. With these cars being worth more and m,ore money daily the amount of people that are willing to compromise the car just to fit cylinder heads is pretty minimal.

The guys I am working with, that are creating their own scratch built HO 4 cylinder air cooled engine do plan on making a an OHC head for those engines in the future and myself and LN Engineering will be assisting them with development and testing.

These are the same guys that whittled out the pictured Porkies head- They are from New Zealand.
Brett W
Don't need OHC heads. You can make plenty of power with pushrods. The LS7 engine is killing anything else on the market right now with some pushrods. They aren't bad they just aren't F1 cool.

Good heads have always been the bane of the T4 engine. Once that is overcome, things could really start getting interesting in VW land.
Jake Raby
I agree.

Brian Mifsud
Overhead cam does not (necessarily) = high rpms (compared to pushrod)

those nuts in NASCAR are spinning all day a 9000-10000 RPM.. and on the other extreme..

my SOHC Ford 4.6 V8 is gasping for breath at 5800 RPM
Jake Raby
It's all in the combo....
Mid_Engine_914
I've been learning about late model BMW motorcycle boxer "oilhead" engines and they use a compromise design consisting of two cams in the head operating the rocker arms using short push rods.

From Wikipedia:

"By this time the benefits of overhead cams were known; higher revs could be obtained before the onset of valve float. However, the basic boxer design did not lend itself to overhead cams. To obtain the benefits of overhead cams without overly increasing the engine width, BMW incorporated a system that was so advanced for its racing bikes that it resurrected it many decades later in the R 1100 RS oilhead. The system was two cams in the head operating rocker arms via short push rods."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_motorcycl...orcycle_History
Mid_Engine_914
BMW just introduced a new flat twin motor with proper overhead cam heads. I wonder if they could be adapted to work with the Type IV motor?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.