Full Version: OLD Thread: Yet Another Group Buy on 'AA' Flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
euro911
That's just peachy Ben finger.gif

laugh.gif

Glad to hear it ... let us know what you think about them beerchug.gif
Steve
They look awesome on my car. Venice Beach auto body did an awesome job.
Jeffs9146
Mark,

No need to call on mine! I called them this morning and they gave me a tracking number piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

She was a bit short on the line saying "If you provided an e-mail address we sent it to you"

What ever! They will be here on Wednesday!! cheer.gif

Thanks for all of your help!
euro911
Cool Jeff ... smile.gif

Steve, when did you install yours, and what did they charge you?

Did you have the car painted there at the same time? unsure.gif
Wilhelm
Dang!!!! sad.gif No tracking number sad.gif , but what the Hell, the flares just arrived in one piece cheer.gif , or is that 4 pieces? dry.gif Anyway all is good w00t.gif . Its not like I'll be doing any work on them right now with sub-twenty temps outside naughty.gif . By the way, Have I used enuf emoticons yet? Ps. Thanks for the strong work getting this all done for us!
sixgt
No tracking # either but the flares showed up last night via FedEx. Thanks again Mark, keep up the good work! smilie_pokal.gif
euro911
Excellent drunk.gif
EVILGENIUS13
WOOO HOOOjava script:emoticon(':headbanger:', 'smid_30')
aktion035.gif Mine just showed up!!! java script:emoticon(':welder:', 'smid_57')
welder.gif Thanks Mark! Now i just need the rockers and bumpersjava script:emoticon(':idea:', 'smid_33')
idea.gif
Jeffs9146
I just got mine too!! beerchug.gif

Thanks Mark, you the man! aktion035.gif
euro911
Great. Glad to hear your guys are getting them delivered piratenanner.gif

Just checking the FedEx site to see where mine are mad.gif ... where the hell is Luxembourg? unsure.gif

Actually, mine showed up today too ... a day early. My wife called to tell me she drug the box inside so it didn't get wet. Whadda gal, eh? cheer.gif
Porcharu
Mine showed up one early today too! I wasn't home dry.gif
Thanks for all of the work setting this up - I know how much work it took (I'm doing it right now on another buy.)
Wes V
Mine showed up last night and I had to run out to the garage and tape them up.

IPB Image

Is there a quick way to tell the right from left front flare?

Wes
euro911
I couldn't say for sure, Wes idea.gif ... maybe try swapping them and see what they look like popcorn[1].gif

2 'participants' remain unaccounted for ... Jamie & John confused24.gif
Wes V
On a serious note;

I'd like to know how many people are going to weld them in their self.

Are you planning on laping the joint or butt welding it.

If you took them to a body shop, would you expect them to be butt welded or would it matter to you.

Wes
jaminM3
I am doing it myself and am going to butt weld. I will follow this thread for my install. thumb3d.gif
Porcharu
I just got mine. I am going to butt weld them on myself. Just to be different I am using my gas welding rig as it works fantastic on sheet metal.

Steve
Steve
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 21 2008, 03:32 PM) *

Cool Jeff ... smile.gif

Steve, when did you install yours, and what did they charge you?

Did you have the car painted there at the same time? unsure.gif

The guy I bought it back from had it sent out by Otto's so I don't know exactly what Venice Beach, formerly Beach Boys Racing charged him. They did the work January of 2006. But several years ago they quoted me $400.00 a corner to weld them on and blend them in or $2500.00 to do the whole thing with a Paint job. BTW they did not paint the car. I now have three shades of silver on my car. I bought the flairs from AA when they first started making them, but never installed them and included them with the car when I sold it back in December of 2005.
euro911
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Jan 24 2008, 02:47 PM) *
I just got mine. I am going to butt weld them on myself. Just to be different I am using my gas welding rig as it works fantastic on sheet metal.

Steve

idea.gif I guess mine will be BUTT welded welder.gif then too, eh Steve? unsure.gif

biggrin.gif

Just some numbers (to date), this Flare Group Buy consisted of:

98 Thread Posts
83 PMs Received
93 PMs Sent
156 E-mails Received
19 E-mails Sent

blink.gif
Wilhelm
I'm gonna bootyshake.gif welder.gif mine for sure. The bigger question for me is what to do to protect the paint from rocks thrown up by the wheels as these fenders will be essentially unlined. The two simple options would seem to either be to Rhinoline the insides versus building a steel innerliner. Both methods could have the risk of trapping moisture and hence leading to rust. What have the rest of you done to protect your outside paint from rocks tossed from inside the wheel wells?
Wes V
Check out 3M undercoating. It comes in a spray can and is available at just about any automotive paint supply shop.

It sprays out kind of like a tar and then foams up.

It can get real messy, but works great (also helping fill out the back side of the weld).

Wes
nsr-jamie
Hi, my flares showed up too a last week at my friends place in Oregon, now all I have to do is pick them up somehow, might be a while. Thanks very much Mark for helping me out with this. I can't wait to get them welded on and the car painted again. Cheers
euro911
Thanks for checking in Jamie. Sorry you can't lay your hands on them right away. Make sure your friend keeps them in a dry place shades.gif
Porcharu
Now that we have our flares - what wheels do you plan on using?? I am reading that I can use 9" front wheels but my tape measure says otherwise (it says 8" tops since 6" rubs now.)
Steve
Wilhelm
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Feb 10 2008, 11:15 PM) *

Now that we have our flares - what wheels do you plan on using?? I am reading that I can use 9" front wheels but my tape measure says otherwise (it says 8" tops since 6" rubs now.)
Steve

I am going for the harsh wide ride of these reproductions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-8-10-Por...85676QQtcZphoto

I suspect I will end up doing a bit of a rear fender stretch to get the rear meats on as the offset is so outside the centerline. Technically I would need a 3" spacer with these, but I'm half way done making new rear housings to house 928 hubs and axle stubs to move the flanges outward the extra inches to avoid torque on the bearings. These 928 bearings are freaking huge! These housings will be fit onto 914 swing arms. It will accept 944 turbo drums and will use the intergal parking brake assembly. This is all going in my 327 SBC rig. Fortunately I have more time than common sense. I just wish I had some heat out in my tin building! (I'm waiting for the county to permit my new INSULATED shop) I'm finding making all the bits and peaces a blast; thats part of this old car thing anyway. I'll eventually post my pics of this process. No hijack intended. I chose these wheels as the price seemed reasonable and I like their look though I would have gone 17" if I could have found them.
Porcharu
Is it a good or a bad idea to "pre-roll" the fender edges on the flares before installing them? I also remember Brad mentioning (back before the 'event') that there were some tricks to maximize tire clearance during the installation.
Steve
euro911
You can utilize the rolling baseball bat method confused24.gif
euro911
Just ran across this old thread and wanted to know how you guys did with your installations?

Anyone got pix of their completed project(s)? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.