Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aerodynamic Aids - What a drag
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
chris914
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 4 2007, 10:58 PM) *

One more question. It says in the 2007 piece that "A 3D computer model was created using Solid Works and the computer analysis was done using Solid Works." What feature on Solid Works allows this flow testing/visualization to be done?

That was a typo. It should have been FloWorks.

I fixed that and some other things that were made late at night.
jhadler
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 3 2007, 09:16 PM) *

I love amatuer aerodynamic discussions.

Anyone care to publish actual measured downforce and drag created by those huge double wing Mod cars at 40, 50 and 60 MPH from a wind tunnel? Look at surface area of those wings - I havent seen a heavy production AX car that has a wing that comes close to that surface area.

Because they're not allowed to use them. RTFR.

As for actual numbers? I can't tell you first hand, but I can tell you that some of the SM and SM2 people I know have measured 75-150 lbs of downforce. That may not sound like a lot, but it's enough to warrant changing of the spring rates, and noticeably effect the handling of the car...

Then remember wieght of a Mod car. 100 lbs of downforce on a sub 1000 lb Mod is huge differnce.

Yeah, and remember that the A-Mod cars are pulling 3+ lateral G's at an autox on a good surface. The doors slammers are no where near that.

What are you guys making at 50 MPH with those wimpy wings on your 1400 to 3500 lb cars? So rather than attributing wings to performance to National class drivers choice why not offer some emprical measure data? Becuase somone uses a wing doesnt mean its effective. They may have a belief that wing is effective on their bigger car.

Downforce created by wimpy little wings and spoilers I see on most production cars that AX in my opinion dont offer much at speeds below 60 MPH. And where is the front wing on 914's? Why bias an already rear heavy car with even more downforce at the back end? Youre only lightenting the front end if you dont have effective areodynamics up front. Like a 914 needs a lighter front end at speed? That blue mod car has its big wing in the right place.

I dont think either side of this postion have offered much to support their use or non use of wings for AX. I just havent seen anyone offer data other than the "fast guys" use em.

Geez Grant...

Simple. The cars that are really taking advantage of these wings (and not all of them are actually utilizing these wings to their full advantage) are already on the ragged edge of neutral handling. The intent of the wing is to have a car that rotates super well at lower speeds (slaloms), and isn't excessively loose at higher speeds (sweepers and fast transitions). A little extra "dynamic" weight in the back can help get that little bit extra. Otherwise, you either have a car that is planted in the fast stuff, and pushes in the slow stuff, or a car that carves the slow stuff and is a handfull in the faster stuff.

Grant, talk to the big dogs who are doing this. You live in the Bay Area, you run with SCCA from time to time. Go up and talk to Andy or Vic some time about the wings, you might find that these people really do some considerable research and testing on these cars.

-Josh2
914Mike
QUOTE(jhadler @ Nov 2 2007, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike914 @ Nov 2 2007, 10:27 AM) *
...so should I remove, keep or reverse the little flaps? confused24.gif

The little flaps underneath the car on the edge of the bulkhead? Keep 'em. They were put there to improve down flow out of the engine bay. Doesn't matter if you're using a crank driven fan, or an electric one, you still need to get rid of that heated air.

-Josh2

Actually NO fan anymore, the motor just has aluminum fins, so the question becomes: which way does the air flow easiest? Factory setup had a big fan to suck air in from the top, out the bottom, aided by the little flaps, which create a low pressure area for the air to flow into.

What happens without any fan, i.e. no suction from the top? Does the top create a lower pressure at the engine grill (lower than the small drop caused by the underbody flaps) and reverse the airflow? confused24.gif If this is the case, removing the flaps would mean more airflow, right?
jhadler
QUOTE(Mike914 @ Nov 5 2007, 12:39 PM) *

Actually NO fan anymore, the motor just has aluminum fins, so the question becomes: which way does the air flow easiest? Factory setup had a big fan to suck air in from the top, out the bottom, aided by the little flaps, which create a low pressure area for the air to flow into.

What happens without any fan, i.e. no suction from the top? Does the top create a lower pressure at the engine grill (lower than the small drop caused by the underbody flaps) and reverse the airflow? confused24.gif If this is the case, removing the flaps would mean more airflow, right?

Uhm... First off, no fan equals no engine... Just a lump of metal...

As for air flow? Probably wind up with a pretty stagnant flow in there. Low pressure on top combined with low pressure below equals very little flow.

-Josh2
914Mike

Uhm... First off, no fan equals no engine... Just a lump of metal...

As for air flow? Probably wind up with a pretty stagnant flow in there. Low pressure on top combined with low pressure below equals very little flow.

-Josh2

Right, no ENGINE. I have a 156V 3-Phase AC MOTOR... Air Cooled via aluminum fins, NO fan. beer.gif
Katmanken
Hey!

Thanks for the big shot of the different versions with the HP gain or loss.

I think it's fricking awesome that a 2 HP gain is obtained by simply adding vertical slots to the sail panels.

That's most of the maximum 2.4 or so HP gain from the slanted rear window AND the rear wheel covers. All from a simple area mod......

You ought to have somebody model that area in more detail with a few other versions. We ought to get more engine cooling AND more HP from the slots.

Wonder what rounding the sail panels inward at the rear would do? Better air flow around the cab??? Curving or rounding the sail areas in combo with the slots???? That might funnel air into the grill area. Combo of sail slots and a wing gives what kinda flow????

Spring loaded flaps in the sails to move with the flow and open up to get the free HP at speed?????

Replacing the flat sails with tubing to make a tubular rollbar having the sail panel profile????.....

Hmmmmmmmm.... idea.gif

Plenty of juice left in this for more projects

Ken
Katmanken
OK boys,

I'm priming the pump....

Here is 2 free ponies AND better cooling.......

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.