Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New England Winter Gathering
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
scottb
well have fun boys cuz' i won't able to attend. sad.gif gonna be across the pond in merry old england visiting the wifes family. beer3.gif mmmmmm, pubs.

maybe we can do it again during the 4 weeks of summer between spring and fall.....
djm914-6
Ok, so I have one vote for later in the day. What time is convenient for everyone? The store opens at 11am.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Feb 3 2004, 02:23 PM)
Ok, so I have one vote for later in the day. What time is convenient for everyone? The store opens at 11am.

depends. if i can crash at your place Friday and Saturday nights and help with stuff, i won't care what time. if i'm driving up Saturday morning, i daren't plan on leaving before 0600 which means noonish arrival or so. (you do not need to wait for my arrival, of course ...) lemme know how the accommodations situation shapes up and i can be more definite. actually - a Saturday morning departure would probably be better for me, and i'll stay over Saturday night somewhere.

so put me in for a noonish-1300 arrival Saturday, if that helps you plan ...
djm914-6
Ok, lets call it 1pm to meet.

Swap:
Bring your cleaner parts boxed. Dirty or larger items should be listed on a sign or with pics etc. Remember they serve food here and it's likely to be too bloody cold to stand around outside.

Lunch: SchoolHouse Ice cream serves soup, hot dogs, nachos, and I think ice cream too. Pretty inexpencive. If you forgot to bring cash, there is a bank right next door.

Snow: If more than an inch or so of snow is likely, I'll plan another day. I'll post any updates here.

Cars: Bring what you wish, don't kill yourself to bring your favorite Porsche. This is to be more of a social gathering than anything else.

For those traveling far, there are numerous hotels in Burlington or you can make arangements with the 'locals'. Unfortunetly, my house to packed as it is. confused24.gif

Feel free to contact me if you have questions, comments or ideas. Now go spread the word!!
djm914-6
Ideas needed from the experienced event holders.

I am trying to get a door prize finished (in addition to all of the models I'm doing for fellow club junkies). What criteria should be used to select a 'winner'. Longest distance driven is out, because Rich should bag that and I doubt he'd want my stuff. Any ideas are welcome!

One Idea I had was best looking seat cover (Lady friend), but I thought that may be too subjective. wink.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Feb 11 2004, 10:11 AM)
... What criteria should be used to select a 'winner'. Longest distance driven is out, because Rich should bag that and I doubt he'd want my stuff. Any ideas are welcome!

One Idea I had was best looking seat cover (Lady friend), but I thought that may be too subjective. wink.gif

normally (if the weather stays decent) i'd suggest only attendees who drove Porsches be eligible, but that would unfairly penalise the 914 drivers :-)

when all is said and done, it's hard to beat random drawing. maybe give Porsche drivers 2 tickets and 'non' only one.

i -do- want your stuff, but i expect to pay for what i want - it's worth it.
that said, if i picked up something in a random drawing ... nah - i'd still put it back in the pool...

fish bowl.
djm914-6
I like that idea Rich, but it may all be for not. It's looking like I'll be at the office all weekend, so I have no idea when I'll be able to finish my project. sad.gif

You gotta love the lack of planning that goes into Architectural Engineering. If I need to teach another engineer how to draft I'm going to jump out the window... then again, I'm only 5 floors up, so I doubt that'll have the outcome I'm after. headbang.gif

On a good note though, the 914 once again proved it's the reliable car I thought it to be. My GTI blew a coolent hose (I think) so I needed to take my NARP/ NAR6 to work. Other than loosing all feeling in my toes, the ride was a welcomed change. Now if only I could get my cigarette lighter working so I could plug in my 12V heater...
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Feb 13 2004, 12:14 PM)
If I need to teach another engineer how to draft I'm going to jump out the window...

One of the first courses I took in college was drafting, but that was 28 years ago, lol. The first PC hadn't even been invented yet IIRC.

How about a door prize for the person who drives a 914 the farthest. That will eliminate most everyone. laugh.gif
djm914-6
For those in New England not freezing to death, I spoke with Rob, the owner of School House again and he's expecting anywhere from 1/2 to 3 dozen people. His number is posted a few posts above this one in case you get lost or you can call my cell (339-234-0575).

I have started on my painted door prize which I hope to have finished by Saturday. I also have one or two other ideas as well.

I have a list of stuff to bring to the swapmeet too. Most are of the greasy sort, so I'll just make up a poster and leave the item in the NARP. Please help spread the word on this if possible. Any Porsche enthusiast is welcome. The more the marrier. While I won't be attending any after meeting activities (Wife's birthday Saturday), there is quite a bit to do in the area.

Later,
ArtechnikA
thanks for the update, Dave!

unfortunately there is just no way i can make this outing, which really kinds sucks because i'd received a very generous invitation to tag along on a 356 Registry event early Saturday morning. i am so swamped/overwhelmed with stuff to do right now i can hardly see straight.

let me know if there is anything i can do to help tho - and don't be bashful about letting me know how much my portion of the 'event sponsorship' comes to. if there were a way for me to be there, i would, but it's just not happening. hope y'all have a great time tho !
sixerdon
Sorry to see you can't make it Rich.
Dave, I'll be coming up with 2 other faithful owners and some parts. We're going to Paul Russell's restoration shop with the local 356 group for a tour first. Should be in Burlington about 1:00 PM. If anybody's looking for specific parts, speak now. I have a few tons of used parts, but I'll only be bringing what is needed and some smaller items. e-mail me directly for needs.
Don
djm914-6
Hey Don, I'm glad you'll be joining us. What I'd really like right now is a sweet concours orange six. Can you bring one of those? I'll paw with pleads and well wishes! smile.gif
sixerdon
Sorry Dave, she's still sleeping. I'm working on my 911 SC, tune-up, brakes, etc. Then 0876 is going to get a rear brake rebuild and a pedal cluster overhaul. She'll be out soon enough. You're always welcome to come down and get an earfull of 914 talk. Always better than typing.
Don
Anyone want a set of pretty decent Auto Cross tires? I think they are 195's but I'll check, I'll sell them for almost nothing (like 10$ for the set) just to get rid of them, but I dont want to bring them if no one needs them...

-Adam
Brad Roberts
I'm sending some club stickers out with person who is showing up. I hope you guy's have a good time. It sounds like a really good group of 914 people. This is when I wish we had some shirts and other crap to sell/give away.

One day.

B
Joe.D
Ditto on the autocross tire offer. I have a set of 195/50-15 Potenza RE71s, 7/32nd tread remaining For cheap. I'll bring them along too if there are two people who might want a set. I don't want them because I think they're just too wide for my 5 inch rims.

Joe

p.s Things I'd like to find for 74 1.8L engine:

A muffler hanger bracket (just usable, not perfect).

A complete set of parts for engine warmup air flow (flaps thermostat, linkage, etc.). My formerly CA engine seem to be missing all of it.

right front engine tin (to replace one chopped for an A/C compressor)
djm914-6
Hey Brad, that's a great offer; thank you. Who's showing that you're referring to?

AX tires: Got anything wider and taller? 195X15 are too narrow. There may be some takers though.

I really wish I had an idea of the number of people planning on attending. I've had a few emails and seen a few posts, but feel quite in the dark. Oh well, I guess it's a wait-n-see game.
william harris
cool.gif That would be me. I'm hoping to see Brad's care package UPS or Fedex by Friday (hell I got my Mardi Gras King Cakes from New Orleans today) Will definitely be there. Joe - I have two sets of engine tin so I will bring the "spare" set along if I can find it with my otherwise disassembled car parts. sawzall-smiley.gif
william harris
sawzall-smiley.gif OK, here's the stuff I have. If you're coming and interested in the following let me know so I bring the station wagon (instead of driving the Boxster) so I can haul this stuff: mostly complete set of 1.7 engine tin, spare top (kinda rough finish, good weather strips), extra engine lid (black) minus grill, etc., extra headlight covers (also black) (yeah the parts car was a 73 1.7 black), 1.7 stainless steel heat exchangers (good shape but very oily, the 1.7 leaked bad from the rocker arm tubes) complete 1.7 engine with a single carb set up. This engine was in my car and ran very well this summer (except for the above mentioned oil leak). Unless someone says they are interested in this stuff (except the tin which is already spoken for) I will just leave it at home and enjoy driving the Boxster. Let me know. beerchug.gif
Doug73/2.0
Glad to hear others are brining parts, I'm local so weather provided I can throw my xtra parts in the truck.
I should be bringing: smile.gif
complete chrome trim set;
4 aftermarket wheels and tires
hood, trunck lid & 2 old doors
1 roof
2 engine bay lids
1 webber carb 40mm
one box of free stuff I don't need
lots of headlight motors
I also have a half dozen posters of the see thru 914 that I printed out, free to first come
What I hope to find: blink.gif
- Front lens
- side door mirror
- pedal cluster rebuid kit bushings if anyone has them.
- shft bushings for 73 side shifter
-Owners manual for 73 2.0
See you there... I sure hope the weather holds..Doug
r_towle
Doug,

Lense??? what are you reffering to? (I Probably have it)

I have several mirrors if you dont find one..

Rich
william harris
smilie_pokal.gif Dave and everyone who attended: wow, thanks for a great rainy saturday afternoon. Guys, the New England Porsche/914 community really is hard core. 20 fanatics showed up, several guys from New Hampshire and the rest from all over Taxachusetts. Great swap meet (picked up a very nice rear valance) and sold my 1.7 engine tin to Joe who needed some pieces. Let's keep this up and meet on a regular basis. Hell, maybe by the end of summer I'll actually be driving the 914 again. beerchug.gif
sixerdon
I thought the clam chowda and ice cream was great! It was fun for me and the other 3 guys I brought up there. Rich H, my friend won the raffle of your painting. He loves it and thanks you for sending it up! It'll be hanging in his garage over his black 914. It's his first art acquisition. William, let me know when you want to come down and pick through the bone yard.
Don
william harris
cool_shades.gif Don, I will send you an e-mail and see if some weekend works for us both. I am starting a long trial in Fed court on March 9th so after that is done I will have a lot more free time. Heck, spring has to start some time soon. Maybe next time we can find a spot more amenable to spreading parts out and we can really paw thru them. I can't wait to see your trove of parts. Great Saturday today.
william harris
laugh.gif Hell, I'm a senior member now. How did they know its my birthday Monday? Officially an old fart!
ejm
Thanks to Dave for organizing the GTG and to Doug for the posters. Nice to see old friends and meet new ones. I'm amazed at how the enthusiasm for 914's continues to grow. beerchug.gif

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to bring my car out on a rainy day. The ride home was better, dry roads west of 495 and the sun (and the cops) were out by Sturbridge. Then just as the sun went down it started to snow again. headbang.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Feb 21 2004, 05:16 PM)
Rich H, my friend won the raffle of your painting. He loves it and thanks you for sending it up!

you are certainly welcome !

(Dave - what did i send !?)
djm914-6
Actually, the "painting" is mine. I descided to try something new, so I painted a 917 and C-GT on a corkboard. I figured most everyone can use a place to tack cards and photos so what's better than a Porsche themed board. The other prize was a Johnny Lightning 930 (of pelican BBS fame), a soon to be new Porsche owner won that one.

I was very happy with the attendance of the event. It was nice to see some old faces and meet many new ones. I with I could have picked up some of those great parts. I really could use some new trim. Anyway, I walked away with some generous gifts. ejm, Amy thanks you for her gift!

Again, thanks to all who attended, I had a great time and will surely hold another when the weather get warmer. I'll be posting some pics as soon as I get some of the playroom ceiling hung today.

Now, about a 914 breakfast....
Gint
None of you east coasters own cameras I guess. huh.gif
djm914-6
Hey, I was busy! :finger2:

Here we go, I used to take better pictures, but you get the point...
djm914-6
djm914-6
djm914-6
djm914-6
djm914-6
djm914-6
djm914-6
djm914-6
The other two pics I took came out too dark, but you get the idea. Some others took pics too, so maybe we'll see them here.

This is the tack board I painted this week. I forgot I pinned one of Rich's cards along with one of my brochures. Now I understand the confusion, and I though that my work was just getting as nice as Rich's.

Bad Pic, but...
seanery
Hey, were those fuchs sitting there 16x6? I need a pair!

Also, someone that knows put names on one or two of the pics so we can tell who you all are.
Gint
What, no women? Uh, I mean, uh, 914s?
Great time everyone,

I'm looking forward to the next event, BTW-the location was great, and works for me in the future!

-Adam
Curvie Roadlover
who's who?
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 22 2004, 05:31 PM)
Also, someone that knows put names on one or two of the pics so we can tell who you all are.

yeah
Joe.D
This is me...
djm914-6
Well, here's my first pass. I must admit that I'm terrible with names. Faces, I remember, but names...

If someone can help me out a bit, I'll edit the pic.
william harris
laugh.gif What a rogue's gallery. Kinda reminds me of a celebrity mug shot. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.