Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New England Winter Gathering
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
djm914-6
Anyone within driving distance to Burlington MA (20 min from Boston) interested in a winter gathering? I was figuring on just having a BS session to discuss projects, 914, and what not. My initial thought was late January, early February on a Saturday afternoon.

If I can get enough interest, I'll put on something. Thoughts, comments, sneers, cheers, abuses?
redshift
Is this some kind of rust reunification program?

laugh.gif

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Dec 30 2003, 02:29 PM)
My initial thought was late January, early February on a Saturday afternoon.

1/31->2/1 is the 24 Hrs of Daytona.

if you've got SPEED and a BIG TV, it could happen...

if ComCast can ever make their HiDef DVI interface work, i may just invite Vortrex up to Montgomery County and we can do our own SEPA gathering. ya know, i bet his bigscreen TV is even bigger than mine - maybe we'll just go there ...
ss6
I might be able to make it depending on what date you zero in on, and whether or not a blizzard has been scheduled for that weekend.

By the way, how many of us are there in / near "New England", and how are we spread out? Might be useful for planning future get togethers.
TimT
Im in NY Boston isnt out of the realm of possibilities, for a day or overnight trip.
Part Pricer
I'm over here! wavey.gif

Tim, you're welcome to spend the night at my place if this happens.
Joe.D
I'd be interested, depending on the weather, and other schedule conflicts. Count me as a strong "maybe".

The question "how many here are in New England?" has come up before, but I can't remember the thread topic or who started it. I think it was about starting a resto shop in somewhere in MA.

Maybe we should start a topic just for a NE roll call (and no doubt *someone* will suggest it be renamed a "rust-call") ohmy.gif

Hey admins: Would it be hard to implement a sort of the members list by state?

Joe
crash914
Hey! I am about a hour from you....914 is put away for the winter but I am game for a get together...

How about F1 Boston? They have the big screen and I am sure that they will show the 24 hour race....

At this time, I am a potential maybe........ ohmy.gif
herb
scottb
sign me up if late jan to mid feb........ boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

ain't no rust 'round here! watchoo talkin' 'bout?!?!?!?!?! bootyshake.gif bootyshake.gif
Brad Roberts
I'm in. Give me driving directions...LOL

B
ss6
head east, keep driving until you run out of land, turn left, keep driving until you see a lot of stone fences, then you're in the neighborhood. Look for a big city. Stop at a red light, count to 3 after the light turns green before you start up again. If the people behind you start honking, you're in New York. If the people behind you never stopped to begin with, you're in Boston. React accordingly.
djm914-6
Ok B, Drive east for about 3000 miles, then call me. I made if from Malmz house in a 1.7 in 65.5 hours, so that should be a good ballpark for you... knock off 10 hours if you don't stop.

How many [914s] are around here? I must have had a dozen at my house last summer. and I know of many more that didn't show. There is a good 914 contingent in the area, we just need to get everyone on the same page (or site).

I tried the F1 thing last year and it was a flop. Granted I did make a mistake of doing a weekday evening and a snow storm didn't help either. I was thinking of just doing Coffee and desert kinda thing; very informal and loose unless I could get some help planning.
ejm
I'd be interested, depends on schedule and weather.

No one's doing a clutch or anything, are they? rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
djm914-6
Well Ed, now that you mention it... I'll be doing a motor drop on my car about that time. laugh.gif
mskala
I'll be in unless the wife is working or something. It's rained
and been warm enough that I could drive the -6 smile.gif.

For the rest of you who asked, there are quite a few 914
people in our area (eastern mass, southern nh), although
most are not on this list. I've had 2 tech-type get-togethers
in the last 2 years. On the last one I had over 30 people RSVP;
but of course I caused it to snow (this is in April!) and only 21
could actually traverse the roads. Anybody send me your email
address if you want me to keep you on the list for any future
ones. I may try to set up something through PCA again in
April.
past event
Sparky
Count me in and I may be able to bring along a firend and his schweeet 6-conversion, Ed you know the one. Just depends on the weather, of course.

Mike D.
banderson
I am now working in burlington. I actually drove the teener today down from NH.

I love it when its 30 degrees out, top off and heat on. No traffic this week too mueba.gif

I am in. F1-Boston would be cool.
I was going to show up at the last gathering last summer but my daughter got sick and ended up in the hospital for the wknd.
Pnambic
Heck, I'll be in Hartford on business the week of Jan 12. If you get something organized by then, I'll try to be there too.
joea9146
I would be interested..... If weather is good and not too cold
I could drive the 914.... Its challenging with no Heat.....
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Pnambic @ Dec 31 2003, 08:01 AM)
Heck, I'll be in Hartford on business the week of Jan 12. If you get something organized by then, I'll try to be there too.

I'm located 15 minutes east of Hartford. If you get a chance while you're here give me a call. 860 647-8719.

I might be able to make it to a get-together, depending on date and weather, and I can provide 914 video entertainment if desired. smile.gif
r_towle
I,m in.
I recall that at the last Rennlist gathering we had about 20 or so 914's...many of whom I had never met...

There are probably about 40 or so 914 owners close enough for an event...I would recommend advertising the event on Pelican, Rennlist, and here...possibly work withSkala and get it on both local PCA web sites and newsletters...that should cover all of them.
Brad, if you come, you have a place to stay.

You will cover all the people online that way.

Rich
Dunk
Heck - I'd probably do it.. And if Brad comes - I'm definately there. I figure we can thumb-wrestle at sun-down in the "OK Garage"... Loser gets their car saw-zalled (I'll be driving a rental happy11.gif )...... beerchug.gif
ejm
QUOTE(Sparky @ Dec 31 2003, 04:48 AM)
Count me in and I may be able to bring along a firend and his schweeet 6-conversion, Ed you know the one.

Sure do...and bring him if you get down to Chris Foley's shop

Everyone needs more idea's idea.gif welder.gif burnout.gif
djm914-6
Ok, looks like we have some interest; now all we need is a date.

I found a place that's willing to put up with us. They serve soups, coffee, and ice cream. The bast part is that during the weekends, the parking lot is pretty empty and they have plenty of room for as many people that would like to come. I can't imagine that there will be many 914 showing up due to the nice white roads (well salted), but I'll drive mine anyway. Hell, I'll even have some ArtechnikA (Hey Rich!!) door prizes. Maybe I can get a few more companies to join us too.

So... What dates (incl rain/ snow alternate) would be best?

Happy New Year! boldblue.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Jan 1 2004, 07:38 AM)
Hell, I'll even have some ArtechnikA (Hey Rich!!) door prizes.

So... What dates (incl rain/ snow alternate) would be best?

if the weather isn't horribly sloppy i'll come in the 911. if it is, i don't know that i can talk Joy out of the Subaru, but we'll just hafta see what nature provides.

naturally ArtechnikA will support the event -somehow-. i still haven't unpacked the studio stuff yet... but i figure we oughtta be 'title sponsors' of the event - you know - 'The ArtechnikA mid-Winter mid-Engine mid-Life Crisis Get-Together' (for example ...)

later is better. Valentines weekend would be bad. i can't come the 28th (big tech event in RTR.) i think i'd prefer to stay home for the Daytona weekend but that's negotiable. if Joy doesn't tag along (as seems likely) i'll probably want to head up Friday and crash somewhere in the neighborhood.
djm914-6
'The ArtechnikA mid-Winter mid-Engine mid-Life Crisis Get-Together'

mid-life!!?? For you maybe, but I'm on the earlier side of that. laugh.gif
crash914
hmmmm door prize....airbrushed helmet???

just thinking out loud after all.......

laugh.gif
djm914-6
Hmmm, let me think about that for a sec... NO! smash.gif

Maybe a teem RC body, or the like from me. Don't know what Rich might get together. Plus If I get some time to solicite some companies, there may be more.
Brad Roberts
When you get a date together we will lock this to the top.

I wish I could show up. sad.gif I think the east coast guy's are a little more "hardcore" when it comes to car restorations.

b
ArtechnikA
yo Dave - is anything happening on this ?

this coming weekend isn't good for me, and it's Daytona anyway.
Valentine's weekend would be inappropriate...
the 21st Joy and i are taking a daytrip to NYC.
i need to attend a RTR tech session the 28th.

so - February is looking iffy for me. frankly, at 13F, 2" new snow, 3" on the way in advance of tomorrow's freezing rain, sleet, and snew, i'm having a hard time getting motivated about going anywhere...

March ?

you don't need me in attendance for a great event, of course, although i'd love to be there ... or is this a concept that has just lost favor over time ?
Doug73/2.0
Love to join in. Burlington is so close I'm in Groton, but I work over on Crosby drive. Sounds like a nice get together. I'm still looking to buy my first 914, so I'm not quite a true club member yet. Seen lots of local rust for sale. I love the question on how many 914's survive in New England. More than I thought. Out my way, I see Rich is nearby and I've also seen Greg's yellow 6 in town. A friend's father in Lowell has two off the road, one is now more earth than car. There is black 914 driven daily (even in winter) over in Harvard...I hate to see it out in the snow.

I was going to look at one in Boston yesterday, but at 4 degrees it was just to darn cold to be outside under a car. I'll take pictures, the seller says it was abandoned at his garage 20+ years ago. Probably another goner but might be surprised.
Cheers
Doug
Rleog
We know why Brett wants to meet at F1......fastest lap last time!
r_towle
Are we doing this???

Whats the date?

Rich
ArtechnikA
just heard from Joy - she's on call the weekend of Feb 21st so we are -not- daytripping to NYC then. that'd be the best of the available choices in February for me. Dave McLaughlin is The Honcho on this gig, it's mostly up to him...
djm914-6
Ok, ok, I get the point; I need to get off my arse and plan something. I'll get a plan by mid week and post it in the usual places.

The weekend of the 21st sounds good to me. It's only my wife's 39th birthday weekend so I'll need an excuse to get away. laugh.gif
djm914-6
What would people like to do. My original thought was just having an unstructured BS session, but if people are coming from a greater distance, maybe we should do more.

Idea 1:
On the 21st, NERPCA is meeting at KTR Motorsports in Ayre. We could meet at a central location and have a 45 minute ramble to Ayre.

Idea 2.
Meet for breakfast or lunch and have a small swapmeet of less than dirty parts.

Idea 3????
Suggestions!!
william harris
ar15.gif Well, a Winter meeting up here in the damn frozen tundra! I'm definitely in, although I'll be driving the Boxster, the 914 is going down to CT to Racer Chris for a bit of rust repair, etc. Just name the time and place. Can't wait to do anything to get out of the house some weekend.
joea9146
How about we rent some time here if you get enough people
we can rent for 1.5 hours, and go crazy.

http://www.karttrak.com/
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(joea9146 @ Jan 26 2004, 02:59 PM)
How about we rent some time here if you get enough people
we can rent for 1.5 hours, and go crazy.
http://www.karttrak.com/

that'd be about a 5 hr trip, definitely closer than a straight-through to Dave's place for me but i'd still need to do a RON somewhere. frankly, i'd be looking to do something besides drive for an hour and half in between my 10 hr round trip ...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Jan 26 2004, 02:25 PM)
What would people like to do. My original thought was just having an unstructured BS session, but if people are coming from a greater distance, maybe we should do more.

Idea 1:
On the 21st, NERPCA is meeting at KTR Motorsports in Ayre. We could meet at a central location and have a 45 minute ramble to Ayre.

Idea 2.
Meet for breakfast or lunch and have a small swapmeet of less than dirty parts.

i'm not sure where Ayre is or who KTR is but that might not be too bad. the swap meet idea isn't bad either - i have some parts i could be rid of and i don't think i'll be doing Hershey this year...

even March wouldn't be too bad if it doesn't interfere with the Berk's Jazz Festival ...

the thing about coming from a long distance is it takes the edge off wanting to do a lot of other stuff...
Joe.D
Rich,

My guess is that the town name is a typo, its actually spelled "Ayer". Its west of I-495 along MA state route 2, maybe 50 miles West and a bit North of Boston.

I like the idea of a swap as well. Maybe I'll go home with some of the parts you bring :-)

Joe
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(joeflat4s @ Jan 26 2004, 06:45 PM)
Its west of I-495 along MA state route 2, maybe 50 miles West and a bit North of Boston.

I like the idea of a swap as well. Maybe I'll go home with some of the parts you bring :-)

okay, i found that. 06:15 (Streets and Trips keeps insisting it's an hour faster to head up I-95 smack through NJ and NYC on a Friday evening. "i don't think so ...")

the problem with this crowd is i have almost no parts that would even fit a 914.4... that wouldda been the cool thing about Hershey - a bit more diversity...

ya know, the longer this trip looks to be, the more just hanging out with friends with food and beer appeals to me... the swap concept is great but please don't be planning anything that has us standing around in the COLD for very long... if we were at a large enough home we could set up some PC's with NFS:PU and some TV's - i can bring along the Le Mans and IMAX 'SuperSpeedway' DVD's (although i bet a lot of us have seen those already ...) and the 'Moby and the Warhorse Gang' 2-tape 935 epic...

just a thought - it's easy for me to be volunteering someone else's space ...
djm914-6
Ok, I secured us a place to meet for the 21st of February. Schoolhouse Ice Cream (in Burlington MA) is a good sized place with lots of empty booths this time of year. They can serve us 'dogs, nachos, soups, coffee, etc. The owner will even let up bring INDOORS some smaller/ cleaner parts. Larger, dirtier parts are best left in cars with a list made up as advertisement.

I think I'll open this up to the tail draggers too (I know a lot of you are still in the closet about your tail dragger/ wasser pumper ownership). Tell someone, bring a friend. Maybe we can put together something afterwards in a more adult type catagory. beer3.gif
djm914-6
Oh, can someone help me get nailed too? wink.gif
crash914
Shit....I have a major machine install that weekend....well If I can get away, I will be there....its only a 45 minute hike for me....

fingers crossed...see you later. herb
TimT
I cant stop staring at those ....

happy11.gif
mskala
Time? I'll be among the people heading to Ayer so later would be
cool. Have to bring the winter porsche, which is not a 914 like the
old magazine ads would tell you <_<
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(mskala @ Jan 28 2004, 08:36 AM)
Time? I'll be among the people heading to Ayer...

it's Burlington, MA now, yes ?
william harris
MDB2.gif Hot Damn, a frozen tundra get together. Guys - Schoolhouse Ice Cream is located at 216 Cambridge Street, Burlington (781) 221-0338 (in case you get lost). An easy drive off I-95 (looks like Cambridge Street is otherwise known as Route 3A). I will be there. By the way, anyone local interested in a rebuildable 1.7 and side shifter transmission? William Harris
Hi everyone,

I dont know how I missed this thread for the past month, but count me in, I'm only 1/2 hr from Burlington MA, and I can also bring some parts, I've got a ton of D-jet fuel inj extras, and some other stuff.

-Adam
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.