Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR 2008 Seattle "Middle of Nowhere"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Demick
QUOTE(greenie @ Nov 10 2007, 07:38 PM) *

Another idea to appease So Cal 914 was to have the event in late July when the rain is at least warm. Any thoughts?

It's a tradeoff. July might provide the best weather in Seattle, but the drive up I5 from Bakersfield all the way into Oregon is likely to be well over 100 degrees. That's no fun in a 914.
Trying to avoid that hot drive by holding the event in May or Sept will increase the chances of rain in Seattle.
Either way, you'll lose a few potential attendees due to weather concerns (hot or rain).
My guess is you're better off to go for the good weather for Seattle.

Demick

P.S. I love Seattle in the summer. Spent a few summers there doing internships at Boeing when I was in college. This was back during the anti-California movement (got yelled at and flipped off plenty of times for having CA plates). Almost moved there after college. Haven't been back since 1991.
Demick
Perhaps a bumper sticker for the event.
kenschipper
Let me know if you would like SchipperDesign (my wife's design firm) to come up with a logo to the meet in 2008. (They did the logo for 2007.) They can get you pricing for shirts, decals, etc. No cost for any of the design work.

Ken Schipper
dinomium
Less rain in September than May! I cant wait to hear what is being bantered around! We can rent Pacific Raceways for a mere 14k for the day...
ConeDodger
You guys! Time to get excited about Seattle WCR 2008!

Well.... Almost time. But do think about it.

drunk.gif bye1.gif
So.Cal.914

Another idea to appease So Cal 914 was to have the event in late July when the rain is at least warm.

Please not on my account, If I tried to drive that far I would end up in the hospital

for a few days. dry.gif

You Fella's have a Great event, and if I can help from here, let me know. smile.gif
boxstr
I would like to see the event held whenever is best for all concerned. Greenie you get to make that call, it is your event, and you will never please everyone, so don't even try, it will drive you nuts.
Just not fathers dayLOL
CCL
effutuo101
Something during the summer school break would be great! Maybe all of the socal/zoni/desert peeps could put all of their cars on a carrier and meet them up here.
Root_Werks
Maybe Tuesday night with so many showing up we can shore up a date? Post something on the site to let folks know. Earlier the better for planning.

Chris,

I'll bring a 3pin for you on Tuesday. You showing up?
effutuo101
Cool! Thanks Dan, It all depends if I am coming from Downtown or from Everett as to when I show up.
Bleyseng
Date? I am pushing for June or July so its still warm at night....In August it can be cool even after a warm day....Its rare to have a 85F day that stays warm in the evening like in June or July.

Mo'better to be warm standing around in a Hotel parking lot BS'ing like the Portland event...which was really nice with all that beer on tap. beer.gif
BKLA
WCR 2008 WAHOO!

How about a track day / AX at Pacific Raceway? Maybe coordinated with the porsche club or Bimmer club? Talk with Speedware, I'll bet that they will help with planning it (or even sponsor it!) if they can get enough cars. A DE day would be fun!

If you never been there, the back side of the racetrack is pretty cool!

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
One big issue to consider is school. Some of us have kids who start school in late August. I am sure you guys are considering that though...

Should be fun driving.gif though...
914werke
Id agree that some lapping a PR would be a coup and I'd encourage some brainstorming on how we could pull it off (piggyback with another local club ?) Im skeptical we could raise the track lease fee on our own.
Unless there is a member with some deep pockets out there feeling magnanimous?
BTW that track image makes PR look a lot more polished than it is. Dont get me wrong I love my home track but its really kinda ...rustic.
Twise
Interesting, I have two sisters and a mother that defected to Gig Harbor years ago. I am thinking a group drive up from here in SoCal could be cool. I remember driving through Shasta, just before dropping into Oregon was the closest I have ever come to a religious experience. Any one interseted in planning an invasion? One thing is for certain - I have got to show my car off - I have been waiting for years to show my car off....

Anyone interested in planninig a joint venture - email me. We could totally wuss out and trailer our rides up there. 914's are just no damn good for family outings...
BKLA
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Nov 12 2007, 08:51 AM) *

Id agree that some lapping a PR would be a coup and I'd encourage some brainstorming on how we could pull it off (piggyback with another local club ?) Im skeptical we could raise the track lease fee on our own.
Unless there is a member with some deep pockets out there feeling magnanimous?
BTW that track image makes PR look a lot more polished than it is. Dont get me wrong I love my home track but its really kinda ...rustic.

Rustic is a nice way of saying, not as "done" as it could be... biggrin.gif

Still it would be cool! By that time next year, the race car will be the only teener that I plan to have, so track day or AX would be a must for me idea.gif
LS6/914
Alapping day at Pacific Raceway could well be set up with another local club who has their cars serviced at my shop. This would greatly reduce the cost. If we can have corner workers this will add to the good will. The timing of the event will have to match the 2008 schedule being developed. Iam hoping to attend Tuesday, however Iam in the process of a seperation and may be in So.Cal. for a interview at a race shop. Larry
Elliot Cannon
This sounds like it is working into a pretty good event. I'll probably drive up along the coast. It's cooler and lots lots more fun than I 5.
Cheers, Elliot
rhodyguy
the illustration of Pacific Raceways International (locals still refer to it as SIR) is of the propsed new config and ugrading of the facilities. what is hard to grasp in the illustration is the elevation change that occurs at the #12. prob 500 ft or so ending in the hard right hander. charge into it and you're going to be in a world of hurt. not for the faint of heart and you're going to want a cage and a Hans device if something goes wrong. a very experienced driver wadded up his race built rx7 this past summer in this area. almost killed him. perhaps we could some how include a couple of "parade" laps, much like laguna in 05', on the sat cruise. PRI is a very busy track.

k
dinomium
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 13 2007, 07:31 AM) *

the illustration of Pacific Raceways International (locals still refer to it as SIR) is of the propsed new config and ugrading of the facilities. what is hard to grasp in the illustration is the elevation change that occurs at the #12. prob 500 ft or so ending in the hard right hander. charge into it and you're going to be in a world of hurt. not for the faint of heart and you're going to want a cage and a Hans device if something goes wrong. a very experienced driver wadded up his race built rx7 this past summer in this area. almost killed him. perhaps we could some how include a couple of "parade" laps, much like laguna in 05', on the sat cruise. PRI is a very busy track.

k

and the road to skirt transition is asphalt to dirt! you do not want to go two wheels off just about ANYWHERE!
PeeGreen 914
Any North enders wanting to car pool to tonights meeting? I am thinking if I find one I am going to take my 914, but if there are a few of you we can take my BMW or someone elses car. Let me know.

Jon
914werke
My comments were not intended to Bash PR but to set a realistic expactaion level for those who have never been there. Heck we are a LONG ways from evan really considering it so ......

Diff subj. Q: didnt someone write a somewhat professional 1st party account of participation in a past WCC (WCR)? Some thing that could be used to market and present to potential sponsers?
Rand
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Nov 13 2007, 10:16 AM) *

Any North enders wanting to car pool to tonights meeting? I am thinking if I find one I am going to take my 914, but if there are a few of you we can take my BMW or someone elses car. Let me know.

Jon

Yes!! Are you guys coming down 405, or I5 to 90???? I'm on 405, so it would be super cool if you can come this way. Quickest place for me to meet is at the park & ride at ext 22, right at the freeway.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Nov 13 2007, 12:54 PM) *

My comments were not intended to Bash PR but to set a realistic expactaion level for those who have never been there. Heck we are a LONG ways from evan really considering it so ......

Diff subj. Q: didnt someone write a somewhat professional 1st party account of participation in a past WCC (WCR)? Some thing that could be used to market and present to potential sponsers?

YOu mean Jeroen's article in Excellence on the WCC he attended in 03?
914werke
Maybe thats what Im thingking of. I should have that issue.
Bleyseng
Yeah, it was well written especially for a Dutch guy who can barely speak English decently..... happy11.gif
effutuo101
Sorry guys, got bogged down at work with an emergency upgrade.
Bleyseng
It was a good productive meeting with lots of good ideas tossed around.

Drive to Leavenworth...

Drive to Mt Rainier....

Drive to twisty roads somewhere.....

We ever talked about dates!

popcorn[1].gif

sixnotfour
Any Track Talk ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 12 2007, 09:38 PM) *

This sounds like it is working into a pretty good event. I'll probably drive up along the coast. It's cooler and lots lots more fun than I 5.
Cheers, Elliot

agree.gif

how about a "914 muscle car" caravan ?
biggrin.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 13 2007, 10:16 PM) *

Any Track Talk ?

Hey Jeff

Yes, but there is much to look into on this. Rich, the man, is going to talk to some people and let us know what he finds. piratenanner.gif

All in all it was a great meeting with many ideas thrown out there. It looks like no matter what we decide on this is going to be an amazing time. driving.gif

I am sure we will keep you informed as soon as we know anything. idea.gif

For you So Cal guys, I'll have you know the 45min drive with no heat and top off was very fun in 37 degree weather. Just take sa while for the windows to defrost blink.gif poke.gif
effutuo101

For you So Cal guys, I'll have you know the 45min drive with no heat and top off was very fun in 37 degree weather. Just take sa while for the windows to defrost blink.gif poke.gif

It may have been fun Jon, but even your typing is chattering with the cold.... poke.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Nov 13 2007, 10:55 PM) *

It may have been fun Jon, but even your typing is chattering with the cold.... poke.gif

Yeah, that's the problem when you wear a nice Northface Jacket and hat but no gloves. Everything was warm but my fingures.

Still, No rain= no top biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
and thats why I keep my heat exchangers.....I drive sometimes in the cold up here. Look for a set of 914/6 HE's to install!

yep, lots of talk about a billion ideas.

Jeff, come to the 2008 WCR forum to discuss.

shades.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 14 2007, 06:45 AM) *

and thats why I keep my heat exchangers.....I drive sometimes in the cold up here. Look for a set of 914/6 HE's to install!

yep, lots of talk about a billion ideas.

Jeff, come to the 2008 WCR forum to discuss.

shades.gif

I use to have HEs for my six, but I sold them to Jeff biggrin.gif
pjhaun

I went on a Tour with the PNW PCA to Leavenworth using the back roads. It was alot of fun. Also when we got to Leavenworth we all parked at the High School, that has alot of parking space and it is only a couple block from down Town.

Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, WA.

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 13 2007, 10:13 PM) *

Drive to Leavenworth...

Drive to Mt Rainier....

popcorn[1].gif

pjhaun

I looked on the map and the back road to Leavenworth was called Deadman Hill Road.
Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, Wa.

QUOTE(pjhaun @ Nov 14 2007, 11:49 AM) *

I went on a Tour with the PNW PCA to Leavenworth using the back roads. It was alot of fun. Also when we got to Leavenworth we all parked at the High School, that has alot of parking space and it is only a couple block from down Town.

Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, WA.

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 13 2007, 10:13 PM) *

Drive to Leavenworth...

Drive to Mt Rainier....

popcorn[1].gif

jim_hoyland
popcorn[1].gif Dates: How about having it during the longest day(s) aka Summer Solstice. Easy to remember... smile.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 14 2007, 07:19 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif Dates: How about having it during the longest day(s) aka Summer Solstice. Easy to remember... smile.gif

june 21st, bettca its light out until 10:30PM too......
effutuo101
That is the coolest part. Driving at 9:30-10pm and just starting to think about putting on the lights. But, it gives new meaning to "be home by dark".
Eddie914
How many teeners will be interested in "track time"?

AutoX?

Lapping?

Track Choices:

Pacific Raceways, Kent, WA - Beautiful natural road course - it is probably going to cost at least $200 per driver

Bremerton Raceway, Bremerton, WA - Airport road course and/or AutoX (runways and cones) - could be as inexpensive as $65 per driver.

I believe the best option is to "piggyback" with a group that has scheduled track days.

Club Events Choices:

IRDC - International Race Drivers Club (the track event co-ordinator is a long time 914er) - no club membership required for lapping days (generally lapping days are only in the spring and in the fall (generally no summer lapping days (jsut sanctioned races) - I have a call into the organizers to inquire about the possibility of a summer '08 lapping event)

NWARC - Northwest Alfa Romeo Club - no club membership required - Instructors provided for novice drivers - lots of events through the summer at both PR and BR

BSCC - Bremerton Sports Car Car Club - they sponsor many Autox events and 3-4 open lapping days every year at BR - no club membership required - usually less than $100 for BR lapping days

PCA - Autox's at Bremerton and lapping days at PR - $$$ at PR and crowded at Bremerton for the AutoX events. PCA membership usually required

I'll let you know if I find out any more.

Eddie
PeeGreen 914
I know I am a local, but I would pay $200 for PRI. I think that would be more fun than any of the other stuff, and it would be much better time spent.
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Nov 21 2007, 11:19 PM) *

I know I am a local, but I would pay $200 for PRI. I think that would be more fun than any of the other stuff, and it would be much better time spent.

I would pay $200 for track time at PRI too.

Jerry
McMark
$200 would be out of the question for me. sad.gif
PeeGreen 914
I would cover you Mark. After everything you did for the club last year I wouldn't mind. You'd just have to buy me a beer biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
$200 seems to be the going rate for track time these days around here. Money is of course relative. I would and will pay it if things work out. driving.gif
914werke
Lets not get ahead of ourselves sad.gif
Our goal should be to work something out that "track fees"
would be reasonable enough that everyone who attends
would feel compelled to test out what these little cars are all about. smile.gif
I still think that may be possible.
We'll see. shades.gif stay tuned
PeeGreen 914
I would love to see that little cream sickle out on the track biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
I would like to play "tag" with it! driving.gif
pete-stevers
i would will be shooting to attend this coming year...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.