Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rolling Thunder!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
race914
I broke down and bought a set of Rota Fox RSR 17"Fuch clones from Suby Dude (now lineacorse)

Don't have a pic on the 914 yet, but here they are with & without a center cap. Tires are Falken RT-615s. These are going on our 914-6 Signal Orange Nurburging 'clone'

Click to view attachment
Jake Raby
Glad to see that you have those instruments in place. I can now assist you with dialing the engine in 100% as good as possible..

It has more in it-
rhodyguy
rob, post a picture of the gauge pod when you have some time. i take it both of the gauges are analog? could you provide the part/kit #s you purchased? a writeup on the sender installs would be groovy.

k
McMark
Here's my thread on EGT install.

Here's my thread on Jake's forum about CHT.

Rob got the exact same ones. Installation is not hard. Routing the wires is the only time consuming part.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 13 2008, 12:32 PM) *

Here's my thread on EGT install.

Here's my thread on Jake's forum about CHT.

Rob got the exact same ones. Installation is not hard. Routing the wires is the only time consuming part.

Yes. I was going to refer your request to Mark anyway... He could possibly rearrange the thread into a tech article but I just played follow the leader. Mark was the leader...
Jake Raby
Thats good info...
real instruments are key to total engine optimization... I am glad to see that you stepped up to these.

BTW- Your CHT is running COOLER than a stock engine- no one ever believes me when I say the stock engine is the hottest configuration that can be built!

Efficiency. Thats the key.
ConeDodger
Ok. No really conclusive data to report. I stole some time from grading papers to do a little suggested change. Jake said to go down one full step on the air correction on my Dells. 1.80mm is stock so I ordered up some 1.75mm. This is a quick job so 5 minutes after I started I was backing out of the garage having told Yopu I would be out for a drive...

There was enough traffic again so I could not get to WOT in anything but first through third and it was dark enough so I couldn't see guages too well. But, first impressions show a big change if not improvement. It pulls to redline quicker which changes things... What I mean is, I hit the rev limiter! I have never done that before! My little test route follows a curvy road and around one particular corner I found out why you guys keep talking about me needing more wheel and tire. On the throttle around the corner the rear kicks out half a car length. It does appear to be running cooler at WOT but with the quicker trip to redline I was, as they say, busier than a two peckered owl in mating season!

That CHT at cruise that had been around 300 degrees f. is now 275 degrees f.

I have a little warble going on in the exhaust system at decel which tells me I am a little richer than before. It runs smoother and felt quieter. Like the little bitch was happier...

Yes... I know. That license plate is no longer accurate. wink.gif
Jake Raby
Sounds good.. Find a passenger and have them watch those EGTs while you drive..

It sounds like you may have a great tune going now.. Once the enrichment is dialed in we'll play with the timing and you can pick the settings you like best..

Find that service anywhere else...

And people say my stuff is expensive :-)
ConeDodger
No not expensive...

Expensive is spending a year or two with the car on jackstands while you source the cheapest "right" parts you can from 50 different sources. Then, when your done, you discover that the cam that the catalog said was a "good autocross grind" will hardly idle, is peaky as hell with all the power nowhere near where you really drive. You have just built your "ex-wife's personality" into a car. You let it sit. You put it up for sale. You finally, angrily sell it to a guy for 1/10th of what you have in the car... THAT IS EXPENSIVE!!! You spent thousands. Lost a year of your life wasted while you could have been driving the car that you loved. You have been changed for the worse by the experience.

That is why I wrote what some of you might think is a big check to Jake in the first place. There was no mystery... I knew my result would be outstanding!
Jake Raby
when your done, you discover that the cam that the catalog said was a "good autocross grind" will hardly idle, is peaky as hell with all the power nowhere near where you really drive.

Because the guy that wrote that description didn't know what heads, induction or exhaust you were running, nor did he care..

Those one line cam descriptions really piss me off! They act like every set of heads will maintain the function of the cam.

They don't know- they don't build engines or apply the parts! Its been the main issue with the TIV engine for years.
DNHunt
I disagree with the expensive part. Jake's prices aren't much higher if you look at the Type IV store. Service is first rate and it gets to ya. Rebecca is a sweetheart.

I have seen these guys work on stuff. Many of the parts are their own design or are tweeked. If it's a part out of the store that is in it's originally packaging it will work cause they've tried it.

People always confuse cost and value. If a person just looks at cost when they decide whether to buy something they will often be disappointed. Whether something is exspensive or cheap may not have much to do with whether it's a good value or not. There is nothing wrong with selling expensive products if the value is also high. People will be satisfied, lock at Rob and myself and all of Jake's customers. Quality, dependability, and how a businessman stands behind their product really determine value.

I'll tell you the hot value is the new engine kits with their mock up service. Everthing will go together and no hassles with deck height, valve train geometry, end play. Just keep it clean (I mean CLEAN, Jake is fanantical about that, think white glove inspection CLEAN) , follow the instructions, bolt it and run it. That will be a true value.

Dave
J P Stein
I feel so.......cheated. I rebuilt my motor and have all "off the shelf" Porsche parts.
My only tweaks are case savers & nobody knows what they are.
My bragging rights are nil. No cutesie names or anything. I'm bummed. huh.gif
DNHunt
I'm not feeling sorry for you JP. You car goes like crazy. I'll be lucky to get a wiff of your exhaust.

Dave
rhodyguy
are you home?
DNHunt
Yep,

My plane was in Atlanta last Friday night so it left boarded on time. Most of the flights coming in Sat morning from the east had problems so a lot of flights were cancelled. Trouble was the rain turned to snow about an hour before we boarded so we had to de-ice. That made us late getting into Phoenix so I had to run to catch my connector. I was really hoping to stick my face outside for a minute just to feel some sun in Phoenix. Oh well, I made it home about 5:30. I was just in time to make it a dance lesson. I'm learning to waltz.

Dave
rhodyguy
ah...ballroom dancing. dry.gif i knew there would be a price to be paid for all this engine biz. shades.gif you'll be on all the ladie's dance cards at the next shindig at fircrest. rolleyes.gif

k
DNHunt
Not the way I dance. But I am learning to count to 3
ConeDodger
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jan 20 2008, 07:49 AM) *

Not the way I dance. But I am learning to count to 3

Oh God. I pray that Yopu does not see this thread. Please don't let her see this thread. If she does I will have to take dancing lessons. Please God...

Of course I will dance with her. I just don't want to have to take the lessons!!!

Dave, if you're good at it, she will want to go all the time!
Jake Raby
Thank God that Beth hates dancing as much as I do..
ConeDodger
Ok, Back on topic. Those same papers still need grading but...

I took a drive on the curveys to get the "bitchy blonde" good and warmed up. Then got on the freeway and waited at the shoulder for some open traffic. I then jumped on it with a vengence. I took her up through the gears...

First thing I notice is a more free reving engine. She likes that smaller air correction. Seems to have helped particularly in the midrange but I have to say and you guys considering this kit have got to listen to this, this motor is on the cam right off idle and all the way to the redline. She responds everywhere. Not like my 3.2 six in the Carrera. The 3.2 comes into the power at about 4K RPM and stays in it to the redline. With this motor if you turn on the hot water you better be ready to get scalded because as soon as you turn the handle she is hot!!!

So, on to the data. The EGT at WOT with a warm engine and 52 degree f. ambient are closer to 1300 than 1375. The cruise CHT has indeed as I said yesterday come down to about 275 from the 300 with the 1.80mm air correction.

I defer to Jake for the next move...
Jake Raby
Add two degrees of timing and call me in the morning :-)

Seriously...

Yes, the powerband is my single favorite part of this combo.. It has power everywhere and without any hesitation.. Try to get me some video of the experience and I'll edit it into something cool... I need some editing projects anyway. I need practice before going to the next level...

McMark
And you need raw video to send to me, Jake. biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
yep.... I'll have some this week, with this and Rob's we should have enough for the intros
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 20 2008, 06:20 PM) *

Seriously...

Yes, the powerband is my single favorite part of this combo.. It has power everywhere and without any hesitation.. Try to get me some video of the experience and I'll edit it into something cool... I need some editing projects anyway. I need practice before going to the next level...

Ok, so the two degrees is in. The oil leaks are taken care of. Some good fun has been had besides the "just driving to work" which is still quite a lot of fun. driving.gif With the nylon motor mounts out and the stock ones back in it is much more enjoyable to drive.

Today we took a couple brisk drives. Ambient is about 55 - 60 F. EGT at WOT was about 1300 F.

This engine rocks even without the 40HP Dave has on me...

I want that 40HP though. Next engine will have all the bells and whistles.
LarryR
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 2 2008, 08:02 PM) *

Seriously...

Ok, so the two degrees is in. The oil leaks are taken care of. Some good fun has been had besides the "just driving to work" which is still quite a lot of fun. driving.gif With the nylon motor mounts out and the stock ones back in it is much more enjoyable to drive.

Today we took a couple brisk drives. Ambient is about 55 - 60 F. EGT at WOT was about 1300 F.

I have been meaning to ask you. What sort of gas mileage are you getting out of your 2270?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(LarryR @ Mar 2 2008, 09:11 PM) *

Seriously...

I have been meaning to ask you. What sort of gas mileage are you getting out of your 2270?

Larry,

I almost laughed when I saw your question. The answer is that my foot is so far into the thing most of the time that I would expect - not good. I honestly haven't checked. My neighbor lady who is in her 60's asked for a ride today. She says "I always know which car you are driving when you come down the driveway". "Each has its own sound and character" according to her.

Have you picked up your car from Mark yet? It seemed like it was pretty close to done last trip down there.

I will try to get a more accurate idea of mileage...
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 2 2008, 10:26 PM) *

My neighbor lady who is in her 60's asked for a ride today.

That is so cool... biggrin.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 2 2008, 10:26 PM) *

QUOTE(LarryR @ Mar 2 2008, 09:11 PM) *

Seriously...

Larry,

I almost laughed when I saw your question. The answer is that my foot is so far into the thing most of the time that I would expect - not good. I honestly haven't checked. My neighbor lady who is in her 60's asked for a ride today. She says "I always know which car you are driving when you come down the driveway". "Each has its own sound and character" according to her.

Have you picked up your car from Mark yet? It seemed like it was pretty close to done last trip down there.

I will try to get a more accurate idea of mileage...

Jake Raby
I averaged 24 MPG on my 3,450 mile cross country trip in 2006 with the engine exacting Rob's in my 66 Beetle test car..

Most 2270s will attain 26-27 MPG in my experience, even if they are driven mostly spirited.

With gas prices on the uphill climb again I have a 2.8L twin plug engine thats designed for extreme MPG that we are now weoking on again.. Its a twin plugged beast detuned for MPG and huge balls.

I just finished installing it into a test car this weekend and we'll see what it will get for MPG soon.
degreeoff
well when are we goina see some video of these monsters???? As in running in a car?
Jake Raby
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Mar 3 2008, 12:38 PM) *

well when are we goina see some video of these monsters???? As in running in a car?

We don't do much "car work".. Most of my non engine building tools have started to rust!

I will be finished with one this coming weekend and you'll see some video of it at some point.. But its not a 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.