Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rolling Thunder!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
rhodyguy
that rtv looks like shit. rob, didn't ACE do your carbs? i'm surprized art hasn't developed a fix for the port.

k
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 21 2007, 09:23 AM) *

that rtv looks like shit. rob, didn't ACE do your carbs? i'm surprized art hasn't developed a fix for the port.

k

Kevin,
I think that is a random pic Mark pulled from the net somewhere. He is a total search guru. Yes Art did my carbs but never said a word about the whistle. I described it on a thread and Jake told me what it was. I am told that the traditional fix is just epoxy or the gasket if you can find it...

Anyway, I am off to work. No rain so teener day today biggrin.gif
McMark
Yup, pulled that pic off TheSamba. wink.gif
atomix8
Hmm, now you've got me convinced I need to rip my otherwise decently function Dells off to fix this whistle/squeal.

As to the availability of the superformance book, I think CB Performance still sells them. They're not rare as far as I know! I'm away on X-mas vacation right now, but I can check if there is further detail about the "bottoms" of the carbs.

Not sure of the providence of my carbs, they have a CB kit on them, but the carbs themselves could have come from anywhere. The PO said they were the second set of Dells on the car, and they look damn near new.

Other possible fix for the squeal/whistle...louder exhaust...
ConeDodger
Engine pic... Hmmm... Why is it tiny? Maybe Mark can fix it?
Gint
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 22 2007, 10:40 AM) *

Engine pic... Hmmm... Why is it tiny? Maybe Mark can fix it?

Because it's a tiny pic...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-...-1198345209.jpg
125px × 84px
20 KB (20484 bytes)
McMark
Like black much? av-943.gif
Eric_Shea
What... Rob; you still have money left?

Didn't you get married recently?

Ssuupp with that?

biggrin.gif
type11969
Can you tap the port and put a plug into it?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 22 2007, 09:52 AM) *

Like black much? av-943.gif

Very funny Burger-Boy! What color should I have gone with? Aubergine?
By the way, I want that stuff. You know, the stuff...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(type11969 @ Dec 22 2007, 10:16 AM) *

It is a square hole so you would have to drill it first. Not sure it would be possible. I have been told by more than one respected carb person that you can just epoxy it shut. The RTV repair that Mark found on Samba is just stupid. Perhaps the next step was to trim the expanded RTV with a razor blade?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 22 2007, 09:57 AM) *

What... Rob; you still have money left?

Didn't you get married recently?

Ssuupp with that?

biggrin.gif

E,

You should have told me! I just watched my last dime circle the drain and disappear! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Just got back from a drive with Nicho. He says I hit 130 on the speedometer at the end of the entrance ramp onto West bound 50 from Folsom Blvd. This is a long sweeper that ends in its own lane. No traffic to speak of so I thought I would find out what 7K RPM sounds and feels like...

Anyone got a cigarette? drooley.gif Just kidding I don't smoke biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
130... You still had some gear left before you ran out of RPM more than likely... At just over that the Aero wall really starts to effect the 914.

Glad to see that you are actually using what I cooked up for ya, so many people never do..
Sleepin
Sweet! I would love to have one! I am truly impressed with Raby's research and development! ....just wish I could afford one! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 24 2007, 07:47 AM) *

130... You still had some gear left before you ran out of RPM more than likely... At just over that the Aero wall really starts to effect the 914.

Glad to see that you are actually using what I cooked up for ya, so many people never do..

Jake,
Given that I was on public roads I was being conservative. It truly felt like there was a lot more on tap but I was reaching the end of the ramp and there was traffic just ahead that I would have closed on. You never know what the traffic will do on public roads. I like the discipline on the race track better.
I was in 4th gear and Nicho says I was actually closer to 6K when I shut down.
I agree, aero wall will stop acceleration before the motor runs out of power.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Dec 24 2007, 08:58 AM) *

Sweet! I would love to have one! I am truly impressed with Raby's research and development! ....just wish I could afford one! biggrin.gif

With all of that wide open space just outside of GJ it would be the best money you ever spent on the 914!
porschecb
Wow!!!! 130 mph on a public road with a kid onboard? I think thats called child endangerment! sad.gif Stay safe out there. By the way will six grand make my 1.8 go away?

Michael
ConeDodger
QUOTE(porschecb @ Dec 24 2007, 09:58 AM) *

Wow!!!! 130 mph on a public road with a kid onboard? I think thats called child endangerment! sad.gif Stay safe out there. By the way will six grand make my 1.8 go away?

Michael

Michael,
I think Wanda would be on to you in a heartbeat! But yes, 6 Grand for long enough would shake the bolts loose...
Sleepin
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 24 2007, 10:44 AM) *

With all of that wide open space just outside of GJ it would be the best money you ever spent on the 914!

I will start saving now! beerchug.gif
jwhcars
I keep reading all about the Raby engine and I sure wish that there was one up here in Pa.I really would like to be able to keep up with the 911 going up the small mountains we have here in Pa.(I have to let my wife go first up the hills in the 911)
I was told by one of the local guys for $5000 I can get you to between 140hp to 145hp.
Hmmm I must do more due diligence on this ...I need more power.
I need to see about building one myself....I think I can , I think I can do it.
scotty b
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 22 2007, 10:34 AM) *

QUOTE(type11969 @ Dec 22 2007, 10:16 AM) *

It is a square hole so you would have to drill it first. Not sure it would be possible. I have been told by more than one respected carb person that you can just epoxy it shut. The RTV repair that Mark found on Samba is just stupid. Perhaps the next step was to trim the expanded RTV with a razor blade?

Devcon. lightly sand or file the "hole" to get some scratches, fill with Devcon and put a pice of aluminum tape over the open sides to smooth it out.Once hardend it could be be sanded or filed down smoother. confused24.gif
Eric Taylor
man this is really making me think about just keeping my car a FOUR. the SIX has the allure, but dam this sounds good.

How do you like it compared to the BEE?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jwhcars @ Dec 24 2007, 11:22 AM) *

I keep reading all about the Raby engine and I sure wish that there was one up here in Pa.I really would like to be able to keep up with the 911 going up the small mountains we have here in Pa.(I have to let my wife go first up the hills in the 911)
I was told by one of the local guys for $5000 I can get you to between 140hp to 145hp.
Hmmm I must do more due diligence on this ...I need more power.
I need to see about building one myself....I think I can , I think I can do it.

The kit will get you more power than that. Plus many of the engines out there that put more HP into the Type IV actually are so poorly designed that they are undriveable. Too peaky, run too hot, self-destruct in no time. I am not saying that Mr. Raby is the only Type IV engine builder/designer on earth but his testing is right out here in front of God and everybody. If he messes up, his pants will be down around his ankles right in front of all of us...
I worked in a Porsche shop as an undergrad and the owner used to build "disposible" motors for his ice race 914. All you have to do to make more power is BIG cylinders and pistons with BIG compression and a peaky cam. It will not last. But it will make bigger numbers on a dyno. Problem is you don't drive on a dyno. Last I checked the real world was outside. This engine was designed for the real world. You will not grow to hate this motor. That is more important than many people realize.

There are really only two complicated processes involved. One is the Deck Height Measurements, the other is Valve Train Geometry. Both have technical articals posted by Jake on his site. I had a Mark with me so this was infinately less painful for me than others. For one thing, he had the tools. For another, he has done this many times with his $5000 dollar motors.

I said this before but it bears repeating, this is the motor that VW-Porsche should have used. This is such a fun car now. I cannot wait for next autocross season. Even Trekkor thinks I should take it to the track.

Depending on what 911 we are talking about and just how open the road is, your wife may see nothing but taillights if you built this motor... driving.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric Taylor @ Dec 24 2007, 11:49 AM) *

man this is really making me think about just keeping my car a FOUR. the SIX has the allure, but dam this sounds good.

How do you like it compared to the BEE?

Have you noticed the BEE is for sale??? biggrin.gif
jwhcars
I have been reading his web page and I think the 2270 is the way to go.
The teener is one of my for fun only cars-fun runs and autocross.
I will have to see how much trouble I will be in with my current garage if I go with Jake.
It would be nice to be able to climb a relatively straight 800 foot hill and not feel like the engine in third gear is maxed out at red line and I am only doing 45-50mph.
I am so much closer to pulling the trigger.......thanks
Jake Raby
With my "Extensive prep service" option for the 2008 kits the deck height, end play AND valve train geometry processes are removed from assembly!

We set this up for you during our portion of the kit, allowing the assembler to build the engine without ANY special tools or procedures. Just bolt it together.

My kit program and the service and suppiort we offer is designed for the first timer, I have reconfigured the program for 2008 with time lines, more documentation and I have transformed my basement into a video studio to tape the support video over the next 3 months. With this video I'll walk you through EVERY step of the procedure.......

My development always has and always will use the lab for comparison and initial development, but I then hone the combination in the car with full data acquisition.

I hope to have 90% of our engines leaving in kit form in 2008 and beyond, freeing up the shop for Boxster development and a select few MassIVe Turn Keys that we want to take on. Type 4 development will continue, ut mostly in the form of practical application since I have spent 30 months designing components that all need to be tested and then brought to market..

BTW- no local shop can create what we can for you, I don't care what they say. The reason for this is dsimple, each time they build an engine for a customer its experimental, they don't have the opportuinity to create, hone and apply developments every day like we do, because they generally work on a variety of cars, not one specific engine. There is certainly no way they can realisitcally create 150HP turn key for 5K and expect it to be anything less than a cornucopia of components.

The new kit program will change the face of MassIVe engines for the 3rd time in the past 5 years, every time we make it better, easier and remove the guesswork. Results like Robs are typical when people follow the directives word for word and don't cut corners.
Sleepin
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 24 2007, 12:49 PM) *

The kit will get you more power than that. Plus many of the engines out there that put more HP into the Type IV actually are so poorly designed that they are undriveable. Too peaky, run too hot, self-destruct in no time. I am not saying that Mr. Raby is the only Type IV engine builder/designer on earth but his testing is right out here in front of God and everybody. If he messes up, his pants will be down around his ankles right in front of all of us...
I worked in a Porsche shop as an undergrad and the owner used to build "disposible" motors for his ice race 914. All you have to do to make more power is BIG cylinders and pistons with BIG compression and a peaky cam. It will not last. But it will make bigger numbers on a dyno. Problem is you don't drive on a dyno. Last I checked the real world was outside. This engine was designed for the real world. You will not grow to hate this motor. That is more important than many people realize.

That is an excellent post Rob! Often people look for a dyno queen engine! (peak hp sucks if you only get it on the last 200 rpm you got!)
I am now more seriously considering this option to my feebly powered 1.8L. After reading Jake's posts and website info, it seems like he is the type of straight shooter one would want to deal with as an engine builder. Working and devoloping one specific engine platform...and definetly showing pride in it is never a bad thing! I would like to hear some high mileage testimonials (not that I doubt the reliability, but it is always nice to hear!).
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Dec 24 2007, 10:40 PM) *

That is an excellent post Rob! Often people look for a dyno queen engine! (peak hp sucks if you only get it on the last 200 rpm you got!)
I am now more seriously considering this option to my feebly powered 1.8L. After reading Jake's posts and website info, it seems like he is the type of straight shooter one would want to deal with as an engine builder. Working and devoloping one specific engine platform...and definetly showing pride in it is never a bad thing! I would like to hear some high mileage testimonials (not that I doubt the reliability, but it is always nice to hear!).

Eric,
The first engine I ever built was a Type 1 VW for a car that was a daily driver while I was in college. I dropped a valve while photographing an ice race in Manitoba Canada and had to be tow barred back to Minnesota. It was a stock rebuild because I had no time to start thinking "as long as I am in there..." It turned out fine. The next engine was for my Toyota pickup. I had put 200K miles on it and it was tired. I was seduced by the higher compression pistons and the aftermarket cam, and headers. The truck was impossible to tune, the headers leaked. I think I struggled with it for a few months before parking it. Someone came along and offered me a trade for a motorcycle I recall... The lesson here is that unless the engine is designed as a system it is unlikely to work as a system.

Jake does a bit of his own high mileage testimonial and testing. If you snoop around a bit, you will find that he builds an engine and runs it for 25K miles or so without an oil change or purposely tries to blow it up... Things you probably wouldn't do just to see that it will last. I expect that this engine will have great longevity as it runs noticeably cooler than the stock 2.0 liter.

The kit is nice but really, what I was paying for was the testing that went into that combo. Jake knew exactly how that motor would act because he had built many or them. My particular combo is the same as an engine he built and put into a tired old Type 1 he called the Bluebonic Plague then drove from Georgia to California to an event called Bugorama. This event is held twice a year only 5 miles or so from my house. After driving across country fully data logging from the back seat he put in a couple drag race runs in the very respectable range and someone just bought the motor right out of the car! He had the car flat towed to Georgia and flew back if I recall correctly... The whole adventure was chronicalled on the internet. I think he even got out of a speeding ticket because the highway patrolman was a VW guy. The kit was so complete I remember emailing Jake to ask where the 6 pack was... Everything else I needed was in there! beer3.gif

If Jake moves ahead with the kit program as he has described, all you would need is basic hand tools and a torque wrench to do this kit. The old video is good but had it's weeknesses especially as it concerned the two complex processes. If Jake makes a new one, it would be likely to specifically address the kit build. The other was part of a series called "Bug me".

There is some level of personal responsibility involved. Let's face it. You are stepping outside your comfort zone when you build a motor. If you don't follow the directions as they are given, if you try to cut a corner or two, your result may not be what you wanted. At that point you really can only complain to the engine builder. That would of course be you...

If this had been the engine VW-Porsche put in the car in the first place you would be able to buy a 2008 914. Probably watercooled but you get my point. biggrin.gif
DNHunt
Time for me to interject a couple of things.

First happy holidays everyone. I hope everyone and their families are well.

I do not believe you can go wrong buying one of Jakes kits. He is a stickler for detail and he has surrounded himself with good people. Brent I think could make anything work and has built enough engines he can feel what is right. I'd torque something and if he checked it he would say "that feels right". If you ever get to talk with Brent he will tell you a bunch of ways you can do something and hint at what is the right way. Blake has a wealth of knowledge more whole car. Trannies, suspension, brakes. Great fun to talk to. And Rebecca is well just plain nice. She was the finder and knew where stuff was. I didn't get to meet Len but, I talked to him and he's a stand up guy. For anyone that gets Nickies, Charles is beyond a doubt the most patient man around. He is focused on providing the best product around flatout.

Your kit will be the very best anyone can put together. The components are proven. They will fit together and more importantly work together. Beyond that, you will be buying the support of some great people and I don't know of any other place that offers that.

Dave
ConeDodger
Thanks Dave for that interjection... Dave was one of my inspirations for going ahead with the kit purchase. I met Dave and his son Gerry at that Bugorama event I met Jake at... I was glued to that 2270. Dave's car is even the same color as mine...

I fixed the Whistle. I found the gaskets in my project drawer of the tool box. Yopu knows to put things that look 914ish in there. Although I still don't know where they came from. I ordered them from CB Performance but they thought they didn't have any. I will assume it was from Jake! Thanks Jake!

The gaskets are thicker. Perhaps a bit of insulative quality? Anyway, no more whistle! It made the motor mount generated noise much more obvious and annoying though. That is next. Although I will be busy for the next few days.

I took another 130mph burst and confirmed what Nicho said. I left him home this time with his new PSP to make you cybernannies happy. dry.gif
Yup! 130 with grunt to spare!!!
Jake Raby
Excellent...

Keep driving the hell out of it, the harder you beat it, the better it'll run!
ConeDodger
Can't wait to beat it like this...
grantsfo
Glad everything has worked out for you Rob. Do you have a suspension under the car? Have you done anything to the tranny? LSD?

...and dont let this car beat you at AX events with that big new motor piratenanner.gif
Jake Raby
What Rob needs is tires... Wide assed tires and big fat flares!!

Many of my customners have installed a 2270 into a 914 and have went SLOWER at AX than with a stock engine due to lack of traction and all that torque that simply roasts the tires..

Broken trannys are a byproduct of added power and enough traction to use it.. I busted 2nd gear in my old 914 3 times.... I had less power than Rob, from an older version of the 2316 Annihilator....
grantsfo
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 27 2007, 07:54 AM) *

Many of my customners have installed a 2270 into a 914 and have went SLOWER at AX than with a stock engine due to lack of traction and all that torque that simply roasts the tires..

Broken trannys are a byproduct of added power and enough traction to use it.. I busted 2nd gear in my old 914 3 times.... I had less power than Rob, from an older version of the 2316 Annihilator....

Had not thought about effects of all that additional torque on the poor little 901. Maybe a Massive tranny is in the works?
davep
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 26 2007, 07:17 PM) *

Keep driving the hell out of it, the harder you beat it, the better it'll run!

Not quite the same thing, but I put a 914 2.0 into my VW 411 after the 1.7 dropped a valve. My wife used it as a DD. The car was a real sleeper with the 2.0. However, I would drive it occasionally and find it a tad slow until I drove the hell out of it for half an hour. It was like an instant tune-up. Unfortunately the pressure plate diaphragm was not up to the task and fractured despite having only several thousand miles on it.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 27 2007, 09:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 27 2007, 07:54 AM) *

Had not thought about effects of all that additional torque on the poor little 901. Maybe a Massive tranny is in the works?

Blake is my tranny expert.. He and I have been working out details on a super duty 901 arrangement for the past year or so...

We'll be offering trannys at the beginning of 08 with several stages of modification and can engineer a tranny to work along with an engine kit or turnkey.
ConeDodger
No time to chat right now but I will add this.

Transaxle is a newly rebuilt 901 with billet I plate and GT TB unit.... Should be good...
Jake Raby
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 27 2007, 09:38 AM) *

No time to chat right now but I will add this.

Transaxle is a newly rebuilt 901 with billet I plate and GT TB unit.... Should be good...

It might stand a chance in competition..

Many guys run bone stock trannys with the 2270-175 combo but a trip to an AX will generally compromise them..
grantsfo
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 27 2007, 08:34 AM) *

Blake is my tranny expert.. He and I have been working out details on a super duty 901 arrangement for the past year or so...

We'll be offering trannys at the beginning of 08 with several stages of modification and can engineer a tranny to work along with an engine kit or turnkey.

Seems like a natural extension of your business Jake. It would cross over to us six guys as well. Would love to see you put same level of creativity into gearbox solutions
ConeDodger
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 27 2007, 07:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 27 2007, 08:34 AM) *

Seems like a natural extension of your business Jake. It would cross over to us six guys as well. Would love to see you put same level of creativity into gearbox solutions

...Who are you? And what have you done with Grant??? confused24.gif

biggrin.gif

I know people that are using the same transaxle with 300 HP six motors. Should be good. If it isn't we will deal with it then.

The flares are in the garage. The big 9 and 7 X 16 RSR finish wheels are still sitting up at Harvey Wiedmans. He is using them as display models at shows until I need them. I will flare and 5 lug probably next winter. Lots of academia this winter. I am at a conference right now. Hotel is completely booked with PhDs. Chaos in sweater vests! Can't find their way to breakfast, where is the first session? Pretty fun.
DNHunt
The few times I've AX'ed my car with my engine I've found myself backwards. It requires one to roll onto the throttle. It's certainly more of a challenge. I've said many times it's more car than I can handle.

Gary Chapman runs a narrow body 3.2 (I think) in Portland and he's given JP a run (beaten him a few times I think). Gary is just plain good and I doubt I'll ever drive near as well as him.

More tire would be good but, that isn't in the near future for me.

Dave
ConeDodger
The Guard Torque Biasing unit should make somewhat of a difference between your experience and mine. I have driven it pretty hard and the A028R tires are pretty sticky. Nothing rotating out of shape so far. A little kick out in corners but the TB unit gathers it up pretty quickly.
J P Stein
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Dec 28 2007, 08:10 AM) *

The few times I've AX'ed my car with my engine I've found myself backwards. It requires one to roll onto the throttle. It's certainly more of a challenge. I've said many times it's more car than I can handle.

Gary Chapman runs a narrow body 3.2 (I think) in Portland and he's given JP a run (beaten him a few times I think). Gary is just plain good and I doubt I'll ever drive near as well as him.

More tire would be good but, that isn't in the near future for me.

Dave

Gary uses smallish tires......215 Kuhmo 710s IIRC. In my car he beats me by a second or so. If he would get off the dime & put some tiars under his car he'd beat me every time, me thinks.

He does have an LSD in that 3.2L which helps him put down the power.....something we have a problem with. I'm convinced, I have a TB LSD on the way.

More power & more grip reveals handling..... challenges that most guys never had considered. Not everyone wants a race car but I couldn't find a place to pull off the slippery slope. confused24.gif
Chris Pincetich
Next year at the GGR AX races should be a hoot! Lots of hot 914s to try and measure up to. I'll be light, sticky, and cranking out about 80 HP from my 1.7 biggrin.gif

Rob- in the spirit of sharing, I'll let you try my new wheels if we're not too busy during the race. Keizer 15x7s, 12 lbs each, with Hoosier 205 tires (4 lug). Rims wider than 5.5" really make a difference on 205s. beerchug.gif
Jake Raby
I like this version of Grant.... :-)

The MassIVe engine makes so much torque at such a low RPM and thats why it is very hard on trannys when you have traction..

A gearbox will never break if you are spining the tires, but when it hooks up watch out...

ConeDodger
So the latest work to the "bitchy blonde" was to go down to Original Customs in Napa where Mark and I installed temperature compensated cylinder head temperature and exhaust gas temperature guages.
I used an Appearance and Performance A pillar guage pod and Micron Aircraft Guages. The guages can be purchased at Aircraft Spruce online.

The A pillar pod fits very nicely with a little minor trimming. Be advised though, the inboard side of the back will be visible through the windshield so you will have to devise some kind of electrical tape shade to black it out.

Once the guages were in I started the 70 mile drive back to Sacramento. I saw CHT average of around 300 degrees f., and EGT average around 1400 degrees f. at cruise. Jake has an article on the board about CHT and EGT. My temperatures were right in line with what is expected.

Jake says I now have a rolling dyno. I should see EGT of just under and not over 1300 degrees f. at WOT throughout the gears. I have yet to run it on that rolling dyno but I will report back when I do. This will give us some tuning data if it isn't right on the money.

This is the look I am going for... if someone with Photoshop skills could put the vinyl back on the sail panels, remove the graphic and replace the wheels with RSR finished Fuchs it would be exactly what I want the "bitchy blonde" to look like...
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 12 2008, 09:34 AM) *

This is the look I am going for... if someone with Photoshop skills could put the vinyl back on the sail panels, remove the graphic and replace the wheels with RSR finished Fuchs it would be exactly what I want the "bitchy blonde" to look like...

Not a great job on the Fuchs, but I couldn't find a photo that would work. Find me a better photo (same angle and lighting as the 914, center caps), and I could do a better job...

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Wow Todd, That is great! RSR wheels traditionally don't have center caps because they are racing wheels. The rear wheels will have a deeper dish but that is pretty much exactly like my car will look...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.