Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why do I need a $200 engine stand?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TeenerTim
OK. I'd rather spend that money on engine parts than some fancy schmancy engine stand when I already have a stand that will hold an American V8. The brackets are adjustable so I should be able to make them fit. Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

IPB Image
Beamer13
Here is what I did, with the regular old Harbor Freight engine stand. I only have it on with 3 bolts, but you could adjust one of the arms to attach the 4th. but it works fine with just 3.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

as you can see, the arm from the stand on the left ( as you're looking from the stand over the engine is not connected due to reach.

Just have a couple guys there, attach the arms to the engine while on the ground then heave it up and into the stand, put the pin in and you're set!!!

Ron
McMark
That stand isn't designed for a V8. Using the stand you have should be fine.

What are you doing with the motor? Storing? Rebuilding?

We are talking about a V8 motor and not a Type IV, right? confused24.gif
flippa
I have the same one & it works fine. I think the other one is made to hold one half of the engine if you completely break it down. DOn't have one, so I'm not really sure.

THe cheap one may not be as pretty as the other one, but if it adjusts enough to fit, it should be fine.
toon1
the adapter that is used for the TIV motor will distribute and support the weight of the engine better and is easier to use.

The setup you have will work( I use the same) but be carefull, if done wrong it will break the engine case.
TeenerTim
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 28 2007, 02:29 PM) *

That stand isn't designed for a V8. Using the stand you have should be fine.

What are you doing with the motor? Storing? Rebuilding?

I just bought a 2.0L I need to tear down and see what condition it's in. If the block and cylinders are OK I'm going to do a 96mm overbore with the Keith Black pistons, and Jake cam/valve train setup. I took the 1.7L out of the car to do the hell hole work and now one thing leads to another...

edit: the stand old stand is for a V8, my engine is the TIV.
McMark
You can teardown a motor with the V8 stand pictured, but I would recommend an Empi stand or the stand you pictured for buildup. Check out this thread for more opinions.
911quest
The correct fixture is cheaper now then they were two years ago buy one and sell it later if you never need it again. Nothing is better then the correct tool.
TeenerTim
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 28 2007, 02:42 PM) *

You can teardown a motor with the V8 stand pictured, but I would recommend an Empi stand or the stand you pictured for buildup. Check out this thread for more opinions.

I got lazy. How do you spell S E A R C H ? And that was only a month ago too. confused24.gif
John
QUOTE(911quest @ Dec 28 2007, 11:58 AM) *

The correct fixture is cheaper now then they were two years ago buy one and sell it later if you never need it again. Nothing is better then the correct tool.

agree.gif

The 5-arm Porsche style yokes made in CHINA are cheaper. They also make adapter rings for the run-of-the-mill 4-arm style stands (as shown above).

You could also buy one of these if you wanted one cheap (it's only a 4-arm style) but it is only $90.00

e-bay
TeenerTim
QUOTE(John @ Dec 28 2007, 03:42 PM) *

agree.gif

The 5-arm Porsche style yokes made in CHINA are cheaper. They also make adapter rings for the run-of-the-mill 4-arm style stands (as shown above).

You could also buy one of these if you wanted one cheap (it's only a 4-arm style) but it is only $90.00

e-bay

Thanks for the link. That same company made a three arm version for only $68.95. I think the critical part is the number of bolts to the case rather than the arms to the mount. I bought this one and will write a review when it gets here.
IPB Image
VaccaRabite
With the 4 arm ones from HF, you can't have the fly wheel on it and have it bolted to the stand. At least, not without chewing up the teeth to your flywheel.

I really like the one

IPB Image

I am using an EMPI stand. It works, but I can't say that I like it. Just does not feel beefy enough for me.

Zach
Allan
I used one of the same type of HF stands our fleet mechanics use when I rebuilt my 2.0. I just added a piece of angle iron at the bottom and was able to bolt it up at the four points on the case.

Werked gud...
John
QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Dec 28 2007, 01:21 PM) *

QUOTE(John @ Dec 28 2007, 03:42 PM) *

agree.gif

e-bay

Thanks for the link. That same company made a three arm version for only $68.95. I think the critical part is the number of bolts to the case rather than the arms to the mount. I bought this one and will write a review when it gets here.
IPB Image

With the ring (or half ring type yokes, the engine is only attached to the stand with (2) bolts (or case studs) regardless of the number of arms.

Back in the late 1980's or early 1990s, Porsche changed from the 4-arm yokes to the current 5-arm yokes. There was some concern with the 4-arm units supporting a fully dressed turbo engine, so the 5-arm yokes became the standard.

(At least that's the rumors that I heard and pass on......)

I like my 5-arm yokes that I bought from Skyway tools. My latest stand uses a clamping pivot to hold the engine at ANY angle instead of just at 90 (or 45) degree increments.

Good luck with your new stand.

I bet you can sell the yoke for what you paid for it when you are done with your engine.

You can see my latest stand in the background of the attached picture.
sww914
If you're doing a complete rebuild, you want a yoke that can support the whole engine while mounted to only the L case half. The universal engine stands can do this, but the 3,4,5 arm yokes make it a whole lot more stable and you don't need to screw around with anything, they just fit. Also, it's not always possible to get the engine weight centered on the universal stand which makes the engine difficult to turn over and maybe even dangerous. One of my co-workers had an engine (V-8) flip over while he was trying to move the stand around. It spun so fast that a spark plug jabbed him just below the knee, penetrated nicely, and lifted him off the ground. Then the whole engine/stand assembly fell over.
Engine repairs- $150.00
ER visit- $500.00
The look on his face as he was explaining it- priceless.
burton73
The Chinese copy of the old tried and true Yoke at today’s low EBay price of $198... Comes in 3 colors. My 2.5ss ready to come down.

Bob
orange914
get a used type IV stand on e-bay, i got mine fairly cheap, just doesnt look as purdy as new

mike
Jake Raby
I equipped my assembly area with 4 of the stands from Mainely Custom and I like them very much. I liked them so much I had Bob make me a unit for the race trailer as well.

I also put one of these in my video studio and will be using it to do TIV instructional videos this year. The one I used in the studio is simply an adaptor ring for the standard (cheap) V8 engine stand that supports the entire 1/2 of the bellhouse.

There is no excuse for not using the correct tool...
TeenerTim

IPB Image

As promised. Shipping was really fast and responses to e-mails were fast. You can order the stand with either the bench mount holder or the adapter for use with a free standing engine stand. I ordered the adaptor to fit my stand. The construction of the unit is first rate. Nice welds and nice finish. The only problem I had was the adaptor had several bumps on the outside that I guess were for fitting. They were just a little too big for my stand so I had to grind them off. After that they fit fine. It also came with a metal sleeve with a nut and bolt that I wasn't sure of until I went to use the mount. It then became obvious that the sleeve was a spacer so you can use the trans stud with the mount. This is really nice setup at a great price. You can contact them at [email]kraum@sbcglobal.net [/email]
r_towle
http://www.mainelycustombydesign.com/servi...aintenance.html

Really nice guy also.
He has a 914 too!!!

degreeoff
Just look at the last pages of my resto thread...see what I did to my EMPI stand (its ugly I warn you BUT its strong as helll....:-P)
mattp
anybody buy the empi bench stand and take it out and attach it to a standard v-8 style stand?
McMark
Tube diameters are different on most of them. The empi fork will be loose in the V8 stand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.