Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wow!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Danny_Ocean
Oh boy...there's one on every forum!

You buy car from E-Bay seller. Upon delivery, you discover problems. You contact seller. Seller says "you should have spoken to the mechanic as indicated in my ad". Seller accepts no responsibility and tells you to take it up with the mechanic.

Arms-length... blink.gif

QUOTE(914-8 @ Jan 7 2008, 11:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Danny_Ocean @ Jan 7 2008, 06:33 PM) *

A contract whereby all parties of the contract are not connected in any way.

rolleyes.gif squared...

QUOTE(914-8 @ Jan 7 2008, 02:23 AM) *

Yes, but you obviously do not.

Thus, given that the sale of his car is an arms length transaction, your criticism that "He answers questions @ an arms length" makes no sense and demonstrates your lack of understanding of the term.

Negotiations and discussions in an arms length transaction are done at . . . umm, arms length.

Providing incomplete, inaccurate, or evasive answers to questions is NOT "answering questions @ an arms length."

Rusty

Yes, Danny... and I can see who that is in this thread. smile.gif

Danny, we're way off the point of your original post. You are most likely quite wrong: The car isn't a "turd-bomb". It was probably a very good buy. The seller's attitude likely cost him on the selling price.

As far as eBay sales in general... let the buyer beware. Members on this forum have, for years, advocated the value getting a pre-purchase inspection on any car, even if the seller is just down the block.

If you don't like the deal or don't like the seller, don't buy. Slamming this car, the seller, or the new owner (who may be on these forums)... makes no sense.

Oh, and I'm sure there are many waiting to see your car when it hits eBay. Since you've been quite outspoken about this eBay transaction, I'm sure you'll be as transparent when you put your jalopy up. biggrin.gif

-Rusty

P.S. I always take any poster who hides behind a pseudonym with a grain of salt.
914-8
QUOTE(Danny_Ocean @ Jan 8 2008, 06:10 PM) *

You buy car from E-Bay seller. Upon delivery, you discover problems. You contact seller. Seller says "you should have spoken to the mechanic as indicated in my ad". Seller accepts no responsibility and tells you to take it up with the mechanic.

Arms-length... blink.gif

Yes, that is an arms length transaction. So what?

You obviously do not understand what the term "arms length" means, and/or you do not know how to appropriately use it in a sentence. Your posts continue to make absolutely no sense.

I'll try to help you one more time. Hopefully you will finally get it:

Definition of arms length: "An arms length transaction involves two independent parties and each is attempting to get the best deal possible.

For example, if your mother is selling her two-year old car to you for $7,000 and the blue book wholesale value is $14,000, that is NOT an arms length transaction. Your mother is giving you a very good deal instead of attempting to get the fair market value of the car."

Thus, a transaction is either arms length (between independent parties/strangers), or it is not arms length (between relatives, friends, etc.). That is ALL "arms length" means. It has NOTHING to do with whether statements in the transaction are complete, misleading, honest, etc. And it has NOTHING to do with the scenario you describe above.

Is that really hard to understand?
Rusty
arm's-length, /ahrms-lengkth/, adjective

the distance at which a man should not be separated from his cool, refreshing malt/hops beverage
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(Rusty @ Jan 8 2008, 09:27 PM) *
P.S. I always take any poster who hides behind a pseudonym with a grain of salt.

Yeah...and I'm sure your birth certificate indicates "Rusty"... rolleyes.gif

I've had enough. See you kids down at the skate park...

Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(914-8 @ Jan 8 2008, 10:14 PM) *

Is that really hard to understand?

For you? Yes. In this instance, seller remains at an arms-length, hence, "arms length" transaction.
Rusty
My baptismal certificate, library card, etc all do... is that close 'nuff for youz guyz down at the sk8 park? biggrin.gif

Danny, most users here have their common names in their signature blocks - or have been around long enough that we know each other.

Try it... come join the rest of us! smile.gif
SGB
I think this blew WAY UP. Danny was talking $6.5K to sell his car, presumably not a turd-bomb smile.gif (thats a real scary visual BTW- "DUCK!") and that doesn't seem unreasonable for a decent car. $6.5 is about right for a healthy 4 cyl. 6s have been pulling 15 for awhile. Maybe he did not realize that. His chosen phrasing was a little excited. Then it just went way off on a buncha pointless stuff. I say: STOP THE INSANITY! Lets all rust away together like we are supposed to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.