Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NEED HELP! - Now a SHIFTER problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nor.Cal.914
I finally got the pin out of my pedal assembly and spent all night last night reassembling everything with new bushings and springs. BUT, I have a major problem right now that I can't figure out!! mad.gif How does the clutch spring sit on the pedal assembly to make the pedal return?? I cannot seem to figure out the arrangment it is supposed to be in to make everything with the clutch pedal work! Does anyone have some pics of a completed pedal assembly so I can see how the clutch spring goes? Please let me know! Thanks!
-Chris
Nor.Cal.914
Anyone have any pics for me?! I'm sitting out in my garage right now trying to figure out how this stupid thing works and goes together. Any help would be great! Thanks!
-Chris
race914
Just did mine

Click to view attachment
roadster fan
here is decent pic from this thread "Eric Shea rebuild thread"

The pic in racer's post doesnt show the spring hooked over the pedal base.

Click to view attachment
roadster fan
well....either does the one I posted. the circle below shows the spot where the spring hooks over the base. you can see the groove in photo if you look close. Hope this helps.

Jim

Click to view attachment
roadster fan
ok last one. I should just rely on Shea's stuff, simply awesome.

Click to view attachment
Nor.Cal.914
That is how I had my spring originally, but when I put the assembly back into the car, it seemed like my clutch pedal wasn't returning all the way to the top. Is that spring a return spring or a helper spring? Let me know, I am hoping this doesn't mean something else happend. My original clutch pedal spring broke, so I am assuming that is what caused me to have my clutch constantly engaged after the spring broke. Let me know! Thanks!
-Chris

Oh and b.t.w. that pedal assembly is absolutely beautiful! Great work! thumb3d.gif
roadster fan
yeah, Shea does nice work, something to strive for for sure. The spring keep tension on the clutch cable when installed. The adjustments are in Haynes manual which I don't have handy.

Things to check before you put the cluster back in the car are your cable, the clutch tube at the firewall, and adjustement of clevis on cable at front where it mounts to cluster.

I will try to find my Haynes.

Jim
Nor.Cal.914
Thanks for the pictures, they were exactly what I needed to see to be able to get that whole thing back together. But now I have run into yet another problem av-943.gif Seems like the clutch cable tube going through the tunnel where the shifter is, is dragging on the shifter when I try and get into 4th gear. I took apart the center console and looked down at the shifter as I tried to get it into 4th and noticed that it was getting caught on the clutch cable tube. Can that tube move? Is there a way to move it out of the way so it will stop making the shifter catch on it? Let me know! Thanks!
-Chris
SirAndy
QUOTE(Nor.Cal.914 @ Jan 13 2008, 12:16 AM) *

Can that tube move?

yes, it can. right after the spot weld in the front broke off ... dry.gif

do a search here, it's a very common problem and if not fixed will result in the whole tube to ripp off the rear firewall, leaving you stranded without a working clutch ...

time to get that welder out of the closet ...
welder.gif Andy
Nor.Cal.914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 13 2008, 12:24 AM) *

yes, it can. right after the spot weld in the front broke off ... dry.gif

do a search here, it's a very common problem and if not fixed will result in the whole tube to ripp off the rear firewall, leaving you stranded without a working clutch ...

time to get that welder out of the closet ...
welder.gif Andy

What is it that is making the tube move? Is it just a matter of breaking the old welds and re-welding it out of the way? I've never experienced this problem before so as much help as possible would be great biggrin.gif Thanks!
-Chris
roadster fan
Here are some pics that I think came from Dave Darling. The first couple are shots of a center tunnel removed from a car upside down on a table so you can see the layout of all the tubes and such. Then some of the area where the weld is, with it broken loose.

Hope this helps, do a search, many 914 owners (all eventually I fear) have dealt with this issue.

Jim

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Nor.Cal.914 @ Jan 13 2008, 01:04 AM) *

What is it that is making the tube move? Is it just a matter of breaking the old welds and re-welding it out of the way? I've never experienced this problem before so as much help as possible would be great

nope, it's a bit more complicated than that. i don't have the time to do a search for you right now, but the procedure has been documented many times here ...

like always, the search is your friend ...
beerchug.gif Andy
Nor.Cal.914
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Jan 13 2008, 04:12 AM) *

Here are some pics that I think came from Dave Darling. The first couple are shots of a center tunnel removed from a car upside down on a table so you can see the layout of all the tubes and such. Then some of the area where the weld is, with it broken loose.

Hope this helps, do a search, many 914 owners (all eventually I fear) have dealt with this issue.

Jim

So is my shifter catching on my tube because of a broken weld? Or is the weld loosening or something causing it to move closer to the shifter? What all is involved with breaking these old welds and re-welding it all back together? Please don't tell me I have to cut out the tunnel like that?! blink.gif And Andy, I'm not really good with the search yet, where do I look for threads about this problem? Please let me know! Thanks!
-Chris
David_S
I also had this problem with my 73 project, but was able to fix it while I had the floor pans off of it. I did a search using "clutch cable tube" for keywords and found a post from 914rrr in October 2007 that has a very good repair procedure in it, in my opinion. Hope the link works !! http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=76729
race914
Here's one of the clutch tube threads. There are others too...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=111

There is one showing how to find and drill out the spot welds to fix without cutting an opening in the tunnel.
McMark
Two words:

Mirror

Flashlight

Take a peek inside your center tunnel from the front, looking towards the back.
Nor.Cal.914
Well, I looked into the tunnel and saw what I was sort of hoping to see, but then again not dry.gif The front mounting bracket for the clutch cable tube IS broken off so my tube is flopping around up front. Can't see the back middle bracket and I haven't looked at the firewall yet, but I am assuming both of those are ok since I was able to still drive my car home, just with a drag on the tube into 4th. When the middle bracket and the firewall comes apart, the clutch won't work right? Let me know! Thanks!
-Chris
tdgray
Correct Chris.

I would not drive it until you get that fixed... you just going to tear up the other welds.

Time to cut, weld and grind my man... you can do it... just a pita but not hard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.