Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: splitting rear brake calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
So I am about to rebuild my rear brake calipers. Well, when I say "about" I mean Thursday or Friday.

I have read that you are not supposed to split them. Splitting the front calipers did not seem to be a problem, is there something different with the rears?

I read the Pelican article on rebuilding the rears, and W/O splitting them, it seems like a real pain in the hiney.

Zach
Racing916
Not horribly hard, but you need to be patient. My father and I rebuilt mine a few months ago. The pelican parts article defiantly helps, you might have to make a tool to put the clip back on the holds the spring down. The placing of the clip takes time and finesse if you have not done it before, I am sure there is a trick.

Have fun,
steve
Racing916
The rears are more difficult because of the spring adjustments for the emergency brake
Matt Meyer
Split them. The e-brake is kind of a pain in the but get a good set of circlip pliers.
Check out our own classic forum. That is the instructions I used.

Eric Shea's Article on Caliper Rebuilding
davep
using Eric's article is a great choice. In some ways it depends on how bad the calipers are and how much cleaning you are prepared to do. If you just want to slap new sealing rings in there, it is not too bad of a job. If you want to replace the O-ring in the back half it may be a challenge. I made several tools to help me do the job efficiently. The big advantages of having Eric do the rebuild is the fresh plating that will preserve the caliper for a long time, and all the new parts that can be so hard to find.
Eric_Shea
Splitting the calipers is the least of your worries. That and putting them back together is a 1 on a 10 scale. This is a myth perpetuated "probably" by the factory. It's been around forever. I don't think they fancied the idea of every Tom, Dick and Harry with an 11mm wrench whacking away at something so vital as... CALIPERS. biggrin.gif

I honestly don't know how you could do a proper rear caliper rebuild w/o splitting them. Frankly, it needs to be done, otherwise; just throw some new dustcovers on the pistons and bolt them back on.

The handbrake seal is a cinch... it's just that the kits are (generally) too expensive to warrant the fuss... and, in most cases they're not needed. We have them for $29.00 each which is the best price I've seen Stateside.

I'm also not sure any circlip pliers would help. I personally do not have any that will go down into that 33mm hole and function with the adjuster in the way. I'm sure they're out there and can be found but... a very good set of picks is invaluable here (or at least a 90 deg and a straight pick).

Zach... you've got my number (on my site). Call me if you need any help. I'll walk you through it.

I've been thinking about doing a video for Andy's new video section... idea.gif
Eric_Shea
Oh... I just noticed you have a 76.

Good luck with that one biggrin.gif

Those inner clips are a B-I-T-C-H. Seriously, call me on this and I'll try to walk you through it. These are not the clips with a common circlip hole on the end. I found some "similar" pictures on the web:

This is similar to a 1970-1974 inner adjuster clip. It has the holes you can grab and pull with a pick:

Click to view attachment

This is what a 1975-1976 inner ajuster clip looks like (again, not the real thing but similar). You will have a VERY difficult time getting this clip out of the ring it rests in. The ends on the ATE clip are cut at 45 degree angles. You'll need it very clean and dry in there and you'll need two instruments, one to pry up the edge and the other to get behind the clip:

Click to view attachment
Matt Meyer
I remembered the only thing that gave me trouble was that circlip and that it really sucked. I have a 75. I just thought it was my lack of skill.

Now that Eric has jogged my memory I think I used a three pics, a small flat screwdriver and about 50 tries to remove and install those little buggers.

Eric_Shea
Now that Eric has jogged my memory I think I used a three pics, a small flat screwdriver and about 50 tries to remove and install those little buggers.

Sounds about right... lol3.gif
sww914
I like the part when they finally fly out and hit you in the lip.
Everyone asks- cold sore? No, I'm just a shitty mechanic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.