Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 25-year/250,000-mile refresh
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
veltror
I still have a long way to go on mine... good luck
TJB/914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 1 2009, 02:32 PM) *

It's been home for a couple of months (or at least a few weeks+ ) , so I feel like I've been leaving my family out by not posting.

They decided to take it down to bare metal. Interestingly, they found no more rust ANYWHERE, so this is a counterpoint to other advice about the stuff you may not see. On the other hand, I think I'd go with that advice rather than following my (intended) path. Was nice to know we identified all the rust spots before they stripped it down. The paint has some peel in it, more subtle texture than peel. I really like it, because it looks a little more "original" this way. It's nicer than it would have been in 1973, but it doesn't have that "Pebble Beach" paint feeling, which some love but leaves me cold.

I've done a lot since these photos were taken. The outer longs are now all red (just cuz, I guess...), the area behind the front bumper is done in Wurth high-build black, as the fenderwells will be, the dash vents are re-blacked, the grill underlays are blacked, the front strut bolts and plates are back to their correct cad plating, much of the lighting is in place, etc. Still a lot to do. The level of paint is making me do stuff I never did back in 1991, like clean every bolt before reinstallation, get rid of the 1991 overspray on wires etc. It won't be perfect, but it will be a very nice driver -- though my wife teases me that it will never see a freeway again.

I have some more crappy phone pictures (like the first three) from the car in primer and in process at the body shop. I'll see if I can resize some of them. They're not that interesting, though...

pete

Pete,

Really beautiful paint, it appears to be a real deep red without any orange tint?? Now the fun part, assembly. popcorn[1].gif

BTW: I might run your assembly procedure past my good Porsche friend "Professor Topper". hee, hee (private joke).

Tom
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(veltror @ Apr 1 2009, 04:25 PM) *

I still have a long way to go on mine... good luck

Good gravy! You do indeed. You are a better man than I am, I'll tell you that much. If you're ever in San Francisco, the beer is on me! beerchug.gif

Keep strong!
veltror
I will take you up on that although have not been in the US since 98 or so, you guys stil drive on the right or was that just NY?
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 1 2009, 04:33 PM) *

Pete,

Really beautiful paint, it appears to be a real deep red without any orange tint?? Now the fun part, assembly. popcorn[1].gif

BTW: I might run your assembly procedure past my good Porsche friend "Professor Topper". hee, hee (private joke).

Tom

Yep, it's one of the purest reds I know: Tornado Red. No orange in it whatsoever. Very blue for a bright red.

Car was originally Bahia and I agonized over the decision of whether to stick with Tornado (which I changed it to in 1991) or go back to Bahia. Spent a lot of time looking at the Bahia sections on my car and, in the end, decided I just didn't like the color. I'm not much a red car guy, and really dislike orangy reds. Plus, my car is not an all-original kind of car and never will be -- and Pat Garvey and at least two really nice West Coast 914s have Bahia represented as it should be. So I went with what I liked.

Getting closer to trigger time, I started falling hard for Salsa Red on 2008 VW Beetles. A darker, blood red. Hit me between the eyes every time I saw one. But it was no longer a "cheat" from Bahia. It was a color change. And, if I was going to do that, it's rotisserie time. I just don't have the funds -- or need -- for that. So when the shop called to tell me the trunks were already painted, I was happy to know I wouldn't be losing anymore sleep.

Topper's alright by me. Laser vision. The right motive. Just hope he won't mind my sporadic after-deadline replies!

pete
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(veltror @ Apr 2 2009, 08:43 AM) *

I will take you up on that although have not been in the US since 98 or so, you guys stil drive on the right or was that just NY?

No, NY drives on the sidewalks.

Here in CA, we drive mostly on the right, except when texting, faxing, or putting on makeup.

pete
rhodyguy
what's the story with the exhaust? pretty cool. is it a 'one off' or something that used to be available. the paint looks swell.
horizontally-opposed
One other thing: I have never, ever, in all my travels, seen a paint shop with no overspray.

Until this job. From blasting to primer to paint, I never saw one iota of something that shop didn't want in an area it didn't belong in. Every time I walked in to look at the car (which wasn't often), I was shocked by how perfectly the interior and engine had been masked off and spared. I frankly could have left the whole interior in there, and I am not kidding. I haven't found so much as a dime-sized spot of overspray. They were so stingy with the paint, in fact, that they're going to have to spot in 2-3 minor details because they didn't QUITE get enough coverage -- which they will do in final detail after I've reassembled the car.

They must've looked at the overspray from 1991 and shook they heads. I've been doing the same while working to banish it once and for all...

pete
horizontally-opposed
sorry for the crappy iPhone photos! They say the best camera is the one you've got...but I'm not so sure
horizontally-opposed
I don't know how interesting these are, but...
horizontally-opposed
trunk
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 2 2009, 08:51 AM) *

what's the story with the exhaust? pretty cool. is it a 'one off' or something that used to be available. the paint looks swell.

Sticker on the rear window tells the tale. It's an Abarth exhaust. Have only seen one other, and it was a little nicer than mine (the bottoms of the tips were not ground off). I found it at Partsheaven years ago. They thought it was a bus exhaust of some kind. Jim at EASY knew exactly what it was. It sounds GREAT for a four exhaust, especially on the overrun, and bolts up to the SSIs beautifully.

pete
charliew
That is going to be a really nice driver. I know you dread the first chip. I would ask for the paint can label or the printout of the formula on your paint as you will probably never need to repaint it again but you might need some touchup. I didn't read where you said b/c or single stage or acrylic enamel?

Are you going to use a firewall pad? just curious if you think it will add to rust issues later? Also you decided on leaving off the sail vinyl is that to help prevent the moisture from entering the trim holes? I have a very small rust through at the top corner of the latch just above where the inner latch support is mounted and am worried that there's more than whats apparent in that corner as there is some small rust appearing at the corner of the jam under the vinyl trim also.

It's interesting the body closed up on the non-crack side on the longs. It seems that the welding must be a weld and let cool very slow process on the longs. I would think the rosette welds on the tops of the longs must be the troublesome ones.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 2 2009, 11:15 AM) *

Are you going to use a firewall pad? just curious if you think it will add to rust issues later? Also you decided on leaving off the sail vinyl is that to help prevent the moisture from entering the trim holes?

Decided to use both firewall pads for now. Long as the back window doesn't leak (and I just redid it a couple of years ago), I think it will be fine. More worried about the engine-side pad, but not sure I want the noise from pulling it. Would be curious to hear what others have found noise-wise after deleting the pad(s).

Sail vinyl is going back on. Prefer the looks. Have some ideas for the trim holes, but nothing solid yet.

As for future rust issues, I guess my approach is to not drive the car in rain. That bums me out a bit, as I actually liked to drive the thing down lonely highways in the rain. But I noticed most of my rust bubbles flared up/quickly accelerated after I pressed the car back into service as a daily driver a few years ago. My goal is to drive this car sparingly for another 30-40 years, if possible. Question now is how to wash it. I don't wanna go CW, but I also don't want to deal with rust.

pete
SirAndy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 3 2009, 10:11 AM) *

Would be curious to hear what others have found noise-wise after deleting the pad(s).

WHAT?
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 3 2009, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 3 2009, 10:11 AM) *

Would be curious to hear what others have found noise-wise after deleting the pad(s).

WHAT?

Yep...exactly what I needed to hear! smile.gif

pete
charliew
There are several spray on sound proofers and also on top of that you could put on a coat of bedliner that may be my solution on the outside of the firewall.

I restored a 42 ford military jeep for a friend and tried my best to seal all the seams and he kept saying it would never see water. The first Veterans Day parade he used it in it rained the whole parade.
horizontally-opposed
So it's been a loooooooooooooong time since I've been hanging out here. Missed you guys, but had a kitchen remodel, travel, work, various distractions, etc. interrupt the reassembly process. That and window guides that took fo-eva to get back from the plater. But I digress....let's get to the pics.
horizontally-opposed
horizontally-opposed
Valances take their place...
horizontally-opposed
Hella European 914 driving lights to replace the U.S. foglights. I like them because they fill out the holes in the grills completely. They were in so-so shape when I got them. I was able to clean one, but the other reflector was cooked. Had a hotrod shop in Oregon replate it. Wasn't cheap, but wasn't bad in the grand scheme of things.
horizontally-opposed
Then came the distractions....would you really be working on the 914, especially if you had to give the others back?
horizontally-opposed
In case y'all didn't hate me already....

3.9 liters, 8800 rpm, 500 hp, 92+mph in second, 122+ mph in third...with three more gears to go. No, I did not find redline in fourth. Frankly, I can't believe I kept my license with this color. Phew.
horizontally-opposed
More distraction... wub.gif

3.0 liters, 330 hp, felt surprisingly slow. Really.
horizontally-opposed
Ahem, I'd better get back to my 80-hp reality. biggrin.gif

While cleaning up the car's original blue plate, I discovered that I should have worked those Month stickers off more carefully. I think I would have left this, the car's original 1973 sticker, in place and put the new Month sticker somewhere else. Or nowhere. Ah well....
horizontally-opposed
More parts go on...
horizontally-opposed
Started thinking about these crazy French lenses. Always liked them on Marty's car and the GTs, as well as in a picture of 914s on a lot in the background of a 917 photo.

Turns out they're NLA as lenses, but the computer showed PAG still had 2 rights and 1 left if I was willing to buy complete units. Given how bad (!!!!) the new Euro lenses I bought were (scratched at the factory before being bagged, Jeff at Sunset Porsche was awesome throughout the process, ordering multiples to get the best ones possible — probably due to the size of my order — and eventually even polishing the lenses to make them perfect), I started to think the only way to get good ones would be to buy complete units. Then the French thing came up, and I decided to order them. Then we found out there were 3 listed, but none left. Then Jeff had them do a manual check and there was 1 of each left. So here they are.

I'm trying to decide if I like 'em on a red car... Hmm, from this angle, yes, yes I do.
horizontally-opposed
And, no, not so much. They disappear into the car and make the bumper the only thing you see. I think I'll be sticking with the Euros...
horizontally-opposed
Interior work begins...
horizontally-opposed
Felt like those darn French lenses deserved one more try before being relegated to storage. Nope, just don't work for me on a red car.

Note NOS top, thanks to a 914world member! beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
First time out in daylight in a long time...
horizontally-opposed
Hmm, trying to figure out center caps vs. no center caps... and what kind of lugs...?

Also, think I am going to go back to the LE spoiler...
horizontally-opposed
Kinda likin' the no caps thing...
horizontally-opposed
This just makes me want to head out for a drive. A long drive. Away from everything. Alas, much to do...
horizontally-opposed
Since all of these, I have installed most of the interior and completed the passenger door window/guides/panel/speakers/etc. The BEST (and super helpful) advice I got on door reassembly was Perry's tip to leave all of the bolts loose on the window guide rails in the doors. I didn't think I could tighten the two inside the door, but it was easy with a box-end wrench. After hours and hours of trial and error, that one tip allowed me to finish the passenger door fitment and quarter-window to A-pillar in minutes. Thanks, Perry! smile.gif

Still need to tackle the driver's door, some dash stuff, some gauge stuff, some radio stuff, and install the Engman rear trunk latch setup. Will try to get some pictures — and with a better camera — up soon.

jcambo7
Congrats! driving.gif piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
Pete,
Your car is looking great. I can't wait to see it in person. Want to do dual engine builds? A fairly stock DJet 2056 while I build an evil double-secret Raby monster?

McMark, Take note of the seat modification. I want this in my car. I have always thought the seat position was too high. Consider this a reservation for Original Customs shop time biggrin.gif
FourBlades

Your car is looking great, love the color. I also really liked the article on the
green car. I'm not sure I could have given that car back. biggrin.gif

Are you putting a PORSCHE reflector in place of your rear trunk key mechanism?

I've got an original cut down 911 reflector for ya if you need one.

John
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 13 2010, 11:27 PM) *

Pete,
Your car is looking great. I can't wait to see it in person. Want to do dual engine builds? A fairly stock DJet 2056 while I build an evil double-secret Raby monster?

McMark, Take note of the seat modification. I want this in my car. I have always thought the seat position was too high. Consider this a reservation for Original Customs shop time biggrin.gif

I cannot recommend the seat mod enough. Every time I get into the driver's seat and remember I'm sitting lower, that alone makes this odyssey worthwhile. Can't wait to really drive this thing.

I must say I've been dreaming about a 2.4S, 2.5, or 2.8 lately, but it's going to have to remain a dream at this point — and maybe for a long, long time to come. Which keeps bringing me back to a 2056 with D-jet.... idea.gif Whatever, the car definitely needs an engine. The endearing thing about the "Question-Liter" in it now (probably a 1911) is that it ALWAYS starts right up and has been in the chassis since 1986. The not so nice thing is it leaks like a sieve and probably makes no more than 80 hp. unsure.gif

pete
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Apr 14 2010, 02:50 AM) *

Are you putting a PORSCHE reflector in place of your rear trunk key mechanism?

I've got an original cut down 911 reflector for ya if you need one.

John

Many thanks, but I've got one sitting on the shelf in my office and paid a lot to put it there. biggrin.gif

I haven't decided what to do with the back panel yet. Might do nothing back there. Might put a trunk button back in, might not. Might put a beautifully aged silver "914 1.7" badge I found at EASY on there, might not. Anyone have one of the "914 VW Porsche" Euro emblem, the one that's NOT for the 914-6? That's another option and may be my first pick.

pete
McMark
I'm actually a little unclear on the seat mod. At least with respect to how the seat mounts. It looks like you got rid of the hinges as well. So if I'm seeing it right, you lose up/down adjustment, but retain forward/backward adjustment.

Glad to see it's back on the road, Pete. I can't believe it's been a year! That means mine's been off for more than a couple... yikes.gif
PeeGreen 914
Looks beautiful. Very nice work beerchug.gif

It always feels nice to get a big project done and look this nice.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 14 2010, 09:44 AM) *

I'm actually a little unclear on the seat mod. At least with respect to how the seat mounts. It looks like you got rid of the hinges as well. So if I'm seeing it right, you lose up/down adjustment, but retain forward/backward adjustment.

Glad to see it's back on the road, Pete. I can't believe it's been a year! That means mine's been off for more than a couple... yikes.gif

You've got it.

There is no more "height" adjust (which I really found to be more of a seatback angle and upper thigh support adjustment, FWIW), but the seat still slides back and forth on the stock gear. Essentially, John liberated the rails from the stock setup, then got rid of the hinges, then welded eight blind-nuts in where appropriate, and then I bolted the liberated lower rails back in, then slid the seats back on. The fore-aft works just fine — though doing all this with 911 sliders would be even slicker. I'd want to make sure they don't add height, though. For me, every mm matters.

Next time I've got the seats out, I'll try to take some more photos of the setup with the rails in place.

pete
Eric_Shea
Awesome. smilie_pokal.gif
McMark
Sounds good! cool.gif thumb3d.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 13 2010, 11:27 PM) *

Pete,

How about a triple build? I've got an engine on a stand right now... beer.gif
EdwardBlume
BTW - nice looking ride Pete... get 'er out and play... beer.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 5 2008, 10:39 PM) *
IPB Image

I'll be doing the exact same mod when i finally get around to install my new seats ... thumb3d.gif
flylarry
Nice job! Just remember Porsche 914's rust from the inside out headbang.gif ...except for the the HELL HOLE! I Have 2 of-em I know. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
watsonrx13
Can you take a pic of the seat rail bolted in without the seat in place?

-- Rob

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 3 2008, 05:12 PM) *

another angle...

Bolted the GTS seat in after this and I must say this may be one of the best mods I've ever made to my 914. I like to sit as low as possible and have a long torso, and I *finally* feel like I am sitting in the car low enough. I can see all of the tach through the Prototipo and I love the new position. The seat slides better than it did before, and if I want to change the rake (I don't think I will, but we'll see...), I can always shim it later.

VERY happy with this mod.

pete

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.