Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Washer question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephenaki
OK, my understanding is that the washer system uses air from the tires to shoot the water solution onto the windshield. AA sells an electric replacement for $200 some odd.

Has anyone used a straight aftermarket system vice the AA system? Does anyone see an issue with say pulling a system off of another car and wiring it in to a 914?

Looking for options. I am sure the AA system is top notch but i'm a a cheap Chinaman and just need it to function for the next couple of years until I can get it back to the states and REALLY work on it.
Dr. Roger
If you are a true CSOB try the local auto dismantler. They've got tons of sprayer pumps. The thing is that the water tank for a 914 requires air pressure to pump the water to the sprayer nozzles. You will have to use a modern tank/pump system attached to the 914 nozzles. Should be a breeze.

I'm currently running a Jeep Cherokee fuse panel in my 914. =)

Good luck.
iamchappy
Just replace air system with a cheap universal washer pump or spend 40 bucks on a Bosch one.
Heres how to do it, works great!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13261
stephenaki
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 25 2008, 05:31 AM) *

Just replace air system with a cheap universal washer pump or spend 40 bucks on a Bosch one.
Heres how to do it, works great!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13261

Cool, thanks will definately do this.
davep
I developed an electric switch mount to replace the valve on the washer stalk. About all that is required is an electric pump as Andy's article shows (VW rabbit pump) and some wiring. I have not yet had the opportunity to sort out the wiring required.IPB Image
jesiv
That is really cool. So how did you make the switch?
John

Cool switch.

I did a similar thing 20 years ago. I used an old door contact switch trimmed down to fit inside the steering column. It's been working well for over 20 years now. I read the article in an old Panorama from 20+ years ago.

Sorry I can't find the issue as my dad took all his Panos when he moved away. It may be in an UpFixn' though.....

I believe this was either the first or second mod I ever did to my 914. This was either before or after the fog light flash mod.
biosurfer1
I just realized yesterday that the PO put an aftermarket unit in mine. I have a random toggle switch on my dash that I didn't know what it did because the only time I ever tried it, the resvoir was empty and the electric pump was too quiet to hear over the engine. Finally traced out the wires the other day and low and behold...

stephenaki
Nice switch, I did some research with JC Whitney and other sources and found some aftermarket systems that would work. I don't think I will get one right away as I plan on talking to a local resource here in Stuttgart.

Found a guy named Dunkel that basically has 30+ years working on Porsches, all of them, and is also Porsche certified. He can get parts so I will hit him up today to check prices. Have to balance the Euro against the USD + shipping and then figure out how quickly I need the part.

Will do up a detailed article on the method and installation with plenty of pictures when I do it. I am a visual guy, I can read the stuff in a book but I catch on much faster if I am either doing it or see actual pictures. I think the Army calls me a SLUG, Slow Learner Under Guidance biggrin.gif And to think, they commissioned me! av-943.gif
davep
My switch mount was designed in SolidWorks and printed in ABS on a rapid prototyping machine. The switch should have enough current capacity to directly run a pump. Run some wires, get a Rabbit pump, and do a modification of the tank, and never have to worry about fluid spurting out of the steering column. The switch is designed to be a true bolt-in replacement for the valve. I have a few available.
stephenaki
QUOTE(davep @ Feb 26 2008, 04:51 AM) *

My switch mount was designed in SolidWorks and printed in ABS on a rapid prototyping machine. The switch should have enough current capacity to directly run a pump. Run some wires, get a Rabbit pump, and do a modification of the tank, and never have to worry about fluid spurting out of the steering column. The switch is designed to be a true bolt-in replacement for the valve. I have a few available.

OK, Edumicate me. The wiper switch on the column can not be used to run an aftermarket system? I saw the comment about water squirting out of the steering column and have read through the set up and external switch.

Is the column lever not an electrical connection that activates the stock system? Trying to understand the set up as I like simplicity and would prefer to keep the activation of the washer tied to the column switch.
iamchappy
All i had to do was tap into the brown black wire that runs out of the column and purchased a 15 dollar universal washer pump, drilled a hole in the cap of the washer bottle. Pull back on the lever....Works great!
davep
The wiper/washer lever is multifunction. The lever is moved up and down to select the wiper speed. With a suitable modification later cars can have an intermittent wiper function also; this requires a relay, a harness to connect the relay to the main harness, at least a 1973 model (perhaps 1974) with the necessary wiring in the main harness, and a wiper switch with the additional electrical portion.
The 914/4 washer portion uses the spare tire as a pressurized air reservoir to force washer fluid from the washer tank, through a fluid valve in the column, and out to the washer jets; essentially a pneumatic system. On the 914/6 this is a pump based system with an electrical switch; however the whole steering column, dash, and washer tank are different except for 1972 model 914/6's.
stephenaki
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 26 2008, 05:41 AM) *

All i had to do was tap into the brown black wire that runs out of the column and purchased a 15 dollar universal washer pump, drilled a hole in the cap of the washer bottle. Pull back on the lever....Works great!

Viele Dank. I will be hitting up a local parts store this week to see if I can find a universal system vice ordering one.
GWN7
Princess Auto (local Harbour Freight type place) had kits on sale a few months ago. PM me your address and I'll send you one.
swl
QUOTE(davep @ Feb 26 2008, 04:51 AM) *

My switch mount was designed in SolidWorks and printed in ABS on a rapid prototyping machine.

Damn Dave - I'm impresssed! This raises you to the level of uber geek pray.gif
Where did you get acces to a rapid prototyping machine - or have these become common?
davep
Those tools are an essential part of my present job.
alpha434
Lol.

I forwent the washer for a water sprayer for the engine.

But I used a transistor off of the stock relay and ran the water pump straight to the battery with a fuse between.

Works good.
rascobo
I'm always amazed how obsessed and twisted minds work alike. five or six years ago I replaced the 'air switch in my column with an electric one, because I no longer carry a spare , (having given over the space to a radiator)and thought it was unique. I simply removed the air switch from its' plastic mount and replaced it with a small generic alarm override momentary switch inserted in it's place. very simple and quick. and works great. I too drilled a hole in the reservoir cap to break the vacuum. I think the pump new hose and fittings cost less than $20.00 I've since converted the reservoir to a coolant overflow tank and am looking for the right* container for washer fluid.

(*) perfect fit, function, and cool quotient.

73' 4.3L GT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.