Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are We Stifling Creativity?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 8 2008, 11:49 AM) *

Are We Stifling Creativity?

yes. no. maybe. sometimes.
SirAndy
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Mar 8 2008, 07:18 PM) *

Let's see.... The first time I got reamed by you assholes was for suggesting the use of heims instead of turbo tie rod joints. Turbo tie rods being the "end-all be-all porsche upgrade."

And I'm still holding a grudge about it. What was really so bad about heim joints? Airplanes use them well... everywhere. Every worthwile race car uses them in the suspension. Why wouldn't a heim hold up under cornering? You can buy them rated to a frickin' MILLION psi!

this one uses heim joints instead of standard tie rods ...
smile.gif Andy

IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Why share if people are going to put down your hard work that your proud of that the point of posting it!

You "really" need to understand the clown that slammed you. Ask him to post some of his handy work... jerkit.gif

Take some time to search his drivel. Zero substance and some flatout bragadocious lies.

Congrats on all the "VERY" hard work getting those done right. True talent.

I'm with Pat (what have you done with Pat BTW?) create until your hearts content. I'm creating a GT clone... that's "my way".
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 9 2008, 03:05 PM) *

Paul is one of the nicest and smartest guys out there. His stuff has only been shown once and he got bashed for doing it. Yes it's radical, Paul is a full blown custom guy, doesn't matter what he owns it still would be over the top custom. There are many things he does that could easily be adapted to the "norm" but he doesn't post for fear of being bashed.

paul who? what? ury? you're kidding, right?
confused24.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
Let's see.... The first time I got reamed by you assholes was for suggesting the use of heims instead of turbo tie rod joints. Turbo tie rods being the "end-all be-all porsche upgrade."

And I'm still holding a grudge about it. What was really so bad about heim joints? Airplanes use them well... everywhere. Every worthwile race car uses them in the suspension. Why wouldn't a heim hold up under cornering? You can buy them rated to a frickin' MILLION psi!

I think the first time you got reamed by this asshole is for lying about how fast you were going in your stock teener. Out came the actual numbers (drag, gear ratios, hp etc.) showing virtual impossibility (unless you were dropped out of a C-5) idea.gif. Back into mommy's womb you crawled.

Shut us assholes up. Put them "o-n y-o-u-r c-a-r" and show us some actual pictures ya whiney little bitch. mad.gif

You slam the shit out of the Lambo door guy but all you've produced is bullshit rhetoric... as you can tell, I'm holding a grudge about that.

That's not how we treat newbie’s here.
Borderline
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Mar 9 2008, 06:06 PM) *

more common sense thinkin.

yeah, good luck with that!! beerchug.gif

I think both creativity and communications are being stifled. I, for one, have my own way of setting up the rocker geometry and have been thinking of posting, but it is pretty technical, and why should I waste my time knowing I will be shot down. I have also developed my laser wheel alignment and am very happy with it....I know strings are better. headbang.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 9 2008, 08:10 PM) *

I think the first time you got reamed by this asshole is for lying about how fast you were going in your stock teener. Out came the actual numbers (drag, gear ratios, hp etc.) showing virtual impossibility (unless you were dropped out of a C-5) idea.gif. Back into mommy's womb you crawled.

Shut us assholes up. Put them "o-n y-o-u-r c-a-r" and show us some actual pictures ya whiney little bitch. mad.gif

You slam the shit out of the Lambo door guy but all you've produced is bullshit rhetoric... as you can tell, I'm holding a grudge about that.

That's not how we treat newbie’s here.

Eric

As much as I DO respect you and your work I have to wonder why you are being so brash towards Chris. HE IS 21. He has done well for himself, and with that come a little bit of arogance and cockiness. Sometimes a lot. However, remember that he is still 21.Life will teach him his lessons eventually as it does for most. Sure he should not have bashed the Lambo doors, or anything else. We all have our own opinions and sometimes come across way wrong. He has a lot of learning to do, and maybe we as his elders could be more of an example to him rather than just write him off.

Just a thought.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Borderline @ Mar 9 2008, 09:13 PM) *

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Mar 9 2008, 06:06 PM) *

more common sense thinkin.

yeah, good luck with that!! beerchug.gif

I think both creativity and communications are being stifled. I, for one, have my own way of setting up the rocker geometry and have been thinking of posting, but it is pretty technical, and why should I waste my time knowing I will be shot down. I have also developed my laser wheel alignment and am very happy with it....I know strings are better. headbang.gif

I say post it. I like strings better, but hearing your method did shine light on another way. I enjoyed reading it. Remember, just because someone does it different does not make them right. Hell, when I worked at a garage I could do brakes as fast as some of the master techs but my way was way different, and cleaner, than theirs. Was one right and the other wrong? No, just different. Now, if someone finds a problem that could be bad it would be good to know for everyone to avoid in the future. I am the type of person who has very little filter on what I say and don't really care what people think of me.That being said, I do like to help people and learn from them if I can. We all can benefit from good and bad suggestions. as a cool little community we should feel free to post everything to stir the creative juices. Sometimes saying "it can't be done" is the best motivation to prove them wrong biggrin.gif
SirAndy
ok guys, timeout ...

you need to put things in perspective. with almost 8000 members, no matter what you post, there will most likely always be someone in the mix who doesn't like it!

you post, you get 10 replies and one of them is telling you something you don't want to hear and you take that one response and make it the sole reason for not coming here anymore?
WTF.gif

i mean, come on, please ... rolleyes.gif

bashing someone for no reason is stupid, but stating your personal opinion about something should not get everybody's panties in a bunch either.
i've had several people tell me that they don't like the 916 frontend on my car. should i not post here anymore? after all, somebody just told me they didn't like my car! on a public forum with 8000 members! what a outrage!

btw. that was my feeble attempt in sarcasm ... shades.gif

ya'all need to grow a thicker skin and not take everything said here so dam personal.

nobody should be afraid to post about what they are doing and how they are doing it and nobody should be afraid to post if they dislike something they see.

grouphug.gif Andy
pete-stevers
i miss this.....
been a long time since we had such a cool "love" thread.....
you guys are a bunch of pansy ass winners
now get to bed....
and when you get up in the am.......
after a couple of cups of jo.....
look back at the drivel you posted the nite before....
you would think we all drove winey-cheesy-911s

but none the less
it is good entertainment
and it keeps me coming back for more
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 9 2008, 10:59 PM) *

Paul is one of the nicest and smartest guys out there. His stuff has only been shown once and he got bashed for doing it. Yes it's radical, Paul is a full blown custom guy, doesn't matter what he owns it still would be over the top custom. There are many things he does that could easily be adapted to the "norm" but he doesn't post for fear of being bashed.

paul who? what? ury? you're kidding, right?
confused24.gif Andy

Turbo Paul (turbo914v8)...post right above mine.
racerx9146
I can comment that I rarely post due to the responses I see people get. Its a free world and people are entitled to do/say their own thing. However I think we all have a vested interest in seeing our little community stay vibrant and active. To accomplish that you need more pro than con. In other words we need to remember to keep the criticisms constructive.

I love reading this forum but I wish some people could be a little more "positive" in their comments. In the real world (swap meets, PCA events and other non-internet gatherings) 914 fans i talk to sometimes grimace when I mention 914world or 914 club. I think I know why...

John Daron
marks914
Just rememeber that you are building your car for you, not the guy in his underwear on the board with his rusted in half car sitting behind the barn.

Mark
Jake Raby
OK... Here is my dollars worth.

I'll limit my post to the "MassIVe engine, because I could give a damn less about complaining about what anyone does with any other aspect of their car.

When I started my promotion of the TIV engine it was 1997. The engine was an ugly duckling and while some shops (like FAT Performance) had been able to understand and manipulate the engine most others hadn't. The engine was filled with mystery and because of that it was impossible for a novice to correctly configure one that wasn't a hot running, oil leaking, valve seat dropping pig.

At that point I saw huge potential in the engine as I had good luck with them in the past and knew that with modern communication (internet) that the engines could be revitalized and info shared that would make them what they hadn't been for the past 30 years.

The Type 1 and 911 engines were mega successful because there was tons of reference for builders and the engine was more understood because more people had manipulated it. I wanted that for the Type 4 and from that point forward I have been working to reduce the guesswork associated with the manipulation of the Type 4 engine and working to get it used in more vehicles.

Creativity:
Its expensive and the TIV is absolutely intolerant to half assed efforts. If you give this engine a chance it will kick you in the balls until you puke and it will do it over and over again! Part of what I have done may have hurt creativity, but that has been necessary to get the engine where it is today, somewhere it has never been before.

The Type 4 is it's own beast. 911, TI and Chevy knowledge won't do it's creators any good at all. The worst efforts I have seen with this engine have come from those treating the engine "like" something else. Many say "Its just an engine", those people make the mistakes and don't do their homework. They lose their ass when it blows up and teaches them who the boss really is. I see this weekly!

So in a way this thread make me very happy because I feel that a bit of creativity stifling has been necessary to get a solid foundation set for the engine and show what it is capable of with the proper approach and preparation.

That being said I have always assumed the role of the experimental guinea pig. I have spent the money and taken the time to produce insane projects that have changed the minds of many and has proven to others that this engine can be used for extreme power, remain reliable and have decent longevity. I do not feel that EVERY enthusiast should have to assume a role such as mine, but they did prior to my efforts with this engine.

Ten years ago a post like this would not have existed and I would not be able to walk in on a Monday morning having just stomped the shit out of 28 Type 1 powered vehicles at the biggest aircooled HP event on the east coast with two TIV powered vehicles, walking away with near 200 RWHP N/A on 89 octane pump gas and 206 lb/ft of torque with ungodly fuel efficiency.

Now, that being said my video series will continue to help people create these engines in a proven manner and will help set foundations for "creativity" to enter back into the world of the "Big 4"...

BUT the need for super creativity is reduced when you can bolt together a 200HP engine and not have to guess about anything, not timing, not jetting and not exhaust... (and have a video walk you through the whole experience step by step)

Ten years ago that was a pipe dream. I have had to piss off lots of people to make it a successful effort and I will continue to push the limits and break hearts.

Years ago when I started with the TIV I heard a different set of gripes about a lack of performance parts, no HP and that they blew up all the time.. Today I am getting criticized for making things too standardized and straight forward and thats the biggest compliment I have had in a long, long time.

In closing I will say that in times past I have shared more information about how and why we do things. I have had this information used against me by an unscrupulous person and since that day I haven't shared nearly as much as I once did. This info cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars to acquire and years of my life to apply. I will not give that to anyone and will quickly set you straight if you believe that I OWE it to YOU.
twoskinuts
Paul I used a quote from your PM to me to make a point that people are out there that don't post because of bashing. An maybe there would be less of us custom guys out there lurking if it wasn't going on & I didn't mention an names. I join here in 05 an lurked a long time before I post anything an when I posted my doors I kind of knew it was going to happen but it is discouraging.
Rand
Dan, I really just want to encourage you to ignore the bashers. This is a huge group of people. Please don't let those few discourage you! For every basher, there's a thousand of us who love what you're doing. And the kinds of things you are doing rank high on the cool scale. Please, for the rest of us, ignore the bashers and keep sharing!!!! Who cares what they think? More of us want to see what you do next!
yenningComity
I say this site as well as another similar unsure.gif site do. Jake is a good guy, and you have to respect what he does. I have yet to see him say an idea cannot be done unless he has a good reason why not. There are more than a few members on here and elsewhere in the 914 community that seem to take his word as gospel and bash anyone that do not follow his ideas.

I ran across XXXXX forum a month or two ago and discovered that people are using mercedes, chevy, ford, etc etc parts in type fours.... and actually make them work. I have yet to see someone post about even so much as trying something new with an engine off here in awhile. I know that when I have my car running and look to modify it, this will be the last place I dare talk about it.
Jake Raby
I have built engines with all those off the wall parts and know what tools and skills are needed to do so successfully. In times past, before there were actual performance parts for the TIV we HAD to use these parts to make big power and the hassles that people went through were huge and usually the engines were built with huge compromises that overcame their effectiveness.

I will not recommend or share information that will lead someone down a road to failure or hard ship. When these people do fail it really stifles the creativity and thats what gave this engine such a bad rap for so long.
jimkelly
it seems to me that it is an indisputable FACT that Mr. Raby is one of the most knowledgeable type4 engine builders/enhancers on our planet at this point in time - besides having a combustion-chamber-load of knowledge, he sells - as i understand it - in kit form - with guarentees - several reliable versions of type four engine kits - from mild to wild - as they say.

ayway - enough about the water cooled hater : )

who here runs a type4 that puts out more than 120hp - that did not refer to JR to achieve this accomplishment? I would like to hear all the stories.

thanks

jim
SirAndy
QUOTE(marks914 @ Mar 10 2008, 09:17 AM) *

Just rememeber that you are building your car for you, not the guy in his underwear on the board with his rusted in half car sitting behind the barn.

agree.gif that pretty much sums it up ...
JPB
I have them Hot WV mags of Jake doing his thing, ya baby! As mentioned before, "Jakes engines are the cheapest way to go."

One who makes no mistake is one who doesn't learn and there is no greater failure than one who fails to try.

True creative people run against the grain and are not sidetracked from their vision. We didn't give them the recognition they needed so they just stopped posting do to a lack of positive attention or feedback. They will create somewhere else don't you worry.

I personaly thank all those who crapped on my ideas and hope the comments continue, good or bad. icon_bump.gif These blue nuts are for all those beeeehotches who can't take a freekin joke. beer.gif
Brian Mifsud

I've seen an engine builder who posts here completely "poo poo" ideas, only to see it surface in his offerings down the road.

He is here to make money. Period. He's not your buddy, and he's not here for "intellectual" pursuits.

My recommendation, is if you want to collaborate with somebody on this board, use the board to build a relationship, but do all the collaboration offline.

Joe Bob
I also called a poster that makes muffs. Sketched out an idea and sent him inquiries to make it...said it wouldn't work or he didn't wanna do it or something....weenie then starts making it and selling it on the assdragger board. I said put a cat where the middle muff is....can't do it....

Triad muffler can eat my shorts....I also still doan like PMS....what a perfect name for that idjut's company....

Anyways, got my new 74...check my build thread....will be buying and selling stuff.
Rand
Nice JPB. Makes me want to revise my last answer to something a little more harsh.

Why share if people are going to put down your hard work

F*ck the lame ass 'bashers!' Instead of retreating into non-post status, POST ALL THE MORE!!! It really does piss me off that some lame critics can actually stifle the artists who are ACTUALLY DOING STUFF. WTF? Why be weak? BUCK UP and grow some thick hide!!!! Stop hiding what you are doing out of fear of some critic! Sluff them off, share what you are DOING, and you just might be surprised at the support you will get around here!!! SHOW IT!

[/rant]
dw914er
i think it is time to move on

basically, here is my summary

lets keep the comments constructive, and if it isnt your style, then go on, its not my cup of tea, but....

also remember, some people here have done alot to thier cars, or to the 914s themselves (for instance, raby is right, the type 4 is a unique motor, so it is wise to figure out what other people have experienced, ect)

now, let us go back to giving new ideas, or support, or advice, and get back to our 914's

and for the over 21 crowd, or anyone with a friend over 21, lets get some beer3.gif

anyways, happy motoring, and keep bringing on the new threads, or advice
(after all, we are all here for the 914)

cheers,

Ben Matlock

(914 nut, just like everyone else here)
Rand
QUOTE(dw914er @ Mar 10 2008, 01:50 PM) *

i think it is time to move on
cheers,
Ben Matlock

Word.

IPB Image
JPB
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 10 2008, 05:38 PM) *

Nice JPB. Makes me want to revise my last answer to something a little more harsh.

Why share if people are going to put down your hard work

F*ck the lame ass 'bashers!' Instead of retreating into non-post status, POST ALL THE MORE!!! It really does piss me off that some lame critics can actually stifle the artists who are ACTUALLY DOING STUFF. WTF? Why be weak? BUCK UP and grow some thick hide!!!! Stop hiding what you are doing out of fear of some critic! Sluff them off, share what you are DOING, and you just might be surprised at the support you will get around here!!! SHOW IT!

[/rant]

agree.gif YES YES YES!!!!! You are the CREATOR and the world is your URINAAAAAL!!! I am certain and will probably be backed that my ideas are by far inferior to yours any day!! Crap, I haven't even taken and engine appart yet!

Its a firght of the fittest out there and the question is, are YOU fit to fight?

Buuuuuuuuuurp beer.gif

By the way, Jake Raby is successful because he is a creative kick ass!!!

dw914er
when i got the battery for my car last time, the guy at autozone did not believe my name is ben matlock

(but hey, andy griffen as an old man still got the chicks at ben matlock, so i think that's a good sign)

lol

thats my meaningless, random experience with my name

(it is technically benjamin though)

bye1.gif
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 10 2008, 01:52 PM) *

who here runs a type4 that puts out more than 120hp - that did not refer to JR to achieve this accomplishment? I would like to hear all the stories.

thanks

jim

I can't be the only one, surely. confused24.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 10 2008, 03:54 PM) *

QUOTE(marks914 @ Mar 10 2008, 09:17 AM) *

agree.gif that pretty much sums it up ...

First off, It happens to sit IN the barn...not behind it...

I think that I for one build my car for my own pleasure and my own creative experience. While this motor has been around for a long time, and there have been many current, past and future, board members that have built these motors, Jake stands out as the most memorable.

Lets try to remember a few things.
The 914/4 was raced during its first few years by several serious teams.
The motor has been stretch to its limits many times.
Germanlook comes to mind...
While all of that is true, Jake has managed to convince certain companies to step into this market not because he is a quiet guy...but cause he is Jake.
That just benefits all of us..all of us get access to cheaper parts for the motor.
Its supply and demand.

As far as creativity is concerned, I do miss the old days, but those days are gone, and those guys have stopped posting...oh well.

I have RL things to deal with...its spring and warm again...time to go build a motor that will make you puke...and make me smile alot...

Rich
Jake Raby
Remember:
Nothing ever stays the same and thats certainly been the case with the 914/ TIV world in the past 4-5 years.

Without the efforts of the network that I started a decade ago things like Nickies would only be available to the 911 and 356 crowd, the same would hold true with exhaust as guys would still be trying to make headers good for 135 HP function on 200 HP engines and roller cam equipped twin plug engines would still be a pipe dream...

None of this has been done by any one individual, but I will take the credit as the guys that got everyone working together to create the developments that we have today and I consider that my biggest accomplishment.

Five short years ago it was impossible for someone to bolt together a real 200 HP engine from off the shelf parts...

I was never here to make friends, because a guy like me pretty much only appreciates results.. I have made lots of friends and a few enemies along the way and have loved every minute of it!
scotty b
How did this turn into another Jake thread? He wasn't the only one referenced in the beginning but it seems alot here think he was the source of the thread. Only Mark knows for sure but I imagine his intent was about the bashing in general. We all know who here has a rep for being a dick and who doesn't. Problem is the new guy or the guy who only checks in from time to time doesn't know. It is therefore up to the rest of us to inform him.her and to give him/her support and help that some won't.

Eric I am with you 100 % Nuff said

As for myself I think my statement about not replying to threads was misunderstood. I have NO problem advising anyone who contacts me directly on a paint,bodywork or even welding subject. I have no problem sharing my experience, I just quit replying to threads on the subjects because they were overrun with less than stellar info. I used to try and straighten some aspects out but it seemed completely futile so I stopped. I have seen time and time again the same questions, ( looking to buy a welder, which one ? ) the same answers most of which are based on said posters personal experience ( I got a Mller 125 and love it...I got a Miller 125 and it's a P.O.S.) etc. etc. etc .......

Hell when it all blows up we can still blame Canada

Jake Raby
This became a Jake thread after several emails and even a phone call that interrupted my weekend on the subject. Yep- that pissed me off.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see who is being targeted by most of the smart assed comments on the thread. There isn't much I can't stand more than someone making snide remarks that doesn't have the balls to direct them at who they want to.
r_towle
I still will build a whopper while using Djet.
Did you know that Mercedes made a 4.8 liter 8 cylinder Djet motor...
What is half of 4.8 liter???
cool injectors, same size....

I will also build a flat eight..out or two fours..and I may turbo it just cause.

I think, and I commented, that the guy who did the lambo doors has real skills.
Awesome work.
Titanium rods...I love that idea...not something I could afford though.
Titanium is used all the time in Aerospace, so its certainly the right material.
I cant remember all the shit I forgot...

Oh, I personally like Sir Andy's car...molded bumpers are cool.
Now it has a 3.6 liter...
No bashing allowed. Get out of your chair, DO SOMETHING, then share it so we can bash it..its only fair.
Bash away.

Do all you guys remember how inspirational it was to watch Rick build his 918 with the 928 motor...if you have not read his amazing saga....go look it up..search for Alien..
We were all inspired to do something, to create..
Now we just bitch...
Get back to supporting each other.
I read a comment earlier in this thread by someone who likes to bash peoples ideas...it said "I have never even opened a motor"
I just shake my head wondering who is really making these bashing comments.
When (if it bothered me) it happens, just ask the person who is bashing or stifling creativity to take a few pics of their car and prove it...show us your creativity or dont comment negatively...

Rick and Boxer said it the right way.
If you have nothing good to say, shut up.

Some of the comments and tone of this place are being driven by a select few people that really need to walk away from the computer, BUY a welder, LEARN how a set of calipers works. SET UP valve geometry...with YOUR HANDS...and stop reading about it..
Trust me, we will help, we will advise, hell we will even COME OVER and help for real, no charge...just like we used to do!!!!

I went over a buds house the other night, why....he asked.
I made him try first...then we all coached him...in the end, he just needed someone to push him along the learning curve...I just happen to be a little bit further down the road of learning than him on this particular thing...

That is what we do here..we support, we learn, we help, we eat, we drink..we burp.. and for some of us...pink bunny ears are donned as a sign of respect for the world...
Rich
orange914

This forum is a great place to share ideas and get some feedback.

agree.gif

I'm just worried that people are afraid to post about their new ideas, for fear of being told why it won't work, why they should have done something else, etc.

i've received nothing BUT good info. and feedback that has been a great help. i've attempted to contribute to the articles as many of you all have. i was once told the only dumb question you could ask is the one not asked. trust me if you guys can handle the "stupid" questions i've been asking, (with grace and maybe a snicker) then no one should worry about asking questions!!

What's the 914World like from your perspective?

not siding but i spend most of my 914 info. time here verses the "other site" becouse i find a more established and knowlegable crowd. (not dissin' the other 914 site at all)

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 9 2008, 08:58 PM) *

Why share if people are going to put down your hard work that your proud of that the point of posting it!

You "really" need to understand the clown that slammed you. Ask him to post some of his handy work... jerkit.gif

Take some time to search his drivel. Zero substance and some flatout bragadocious lies.

Congrats on all the "VERY" hard work getting those done right. True talent.

I'm with Pat (what have you done with Pat BTW?) create until your hearts content. I'm creating a GT clone... that's "my way".

No one's done anything with me! I still maintain my "purist" viewpoint, but also realize that there are others who's abominations I lust for! My 914 is NOT going to this year's Parade because of some personal problems. It will be put back on the road for pleasure, with some non-purist attachments. Colorado next year - maybe, but unlikely.

I'm planning on marketing my '73 CIS T this year, which will allow me to buy a 914 that is, shall we say, less than pure! I'm still a purist, but fully understand the pleasures out there for something unique, if not original.

There have been many times that I've naysay'd particular, umm, derivations of 914's. But, I still abide by creativity. Don't quite understand or condone some iterations, but that's just me. I still respect the engineering involved (in most cases)!

I have my purist 914. Time to have some fun! Don't expect me to go nuts though. No clones. No Raby motors. Maybe a conversion - probably a conversion.

Remember, I'm a retired accountant. Conservatism is the only thing I know.

Pat
dw914er
scott, that picture is priceless av-943.gif

hey, it is almost spring
(in california, it is gorgeous)

i think it is time to quit bickering

i will remind everyone, we are all here for the 914, either as a hobby (Like most of us), to a job (liker raby or the dr from aa), but its still for the 914

we love our car, even if they dont seem to love us all the time (i think my car is stubborn)

so, lets quit the fuss, take of the tops (unless you have a steel roof) and go back to some fun driving.gif aktion035.gif

and afterwards, don't forget the beer3.gif
championgt1
I became a member here at the end of January 07. I had owned my first 914 for about only 3 days, and I knew nothing about it other than I had always wanted one and I finally had it.

I joined this site to learn more about my car and come here for questions when I needed some answers. Not only have my questions been answered when asked but I have also met some great people along the way. I have been able to purchase parts from local guys that not only gave me a great deal but also said,"just call me if you need anything else." Hell rhodyguy(kevin) spent an entire saturday over at my house in the cold ass garage to help me with my car, and I would do the same. Again I am a so called "newbie" to the entire 914 thing but I learn something everytime I log on.

Looking at peoples creations and projects is one of the best parts about this site, and I say if those people get flung crap about it just shrug it off and continue on as you were.

I believe a truely creative person can not be stopped just because someone does not agree with or like what they are doing.

Now lets all have a beer3.gif
Rand
Dammit Jack, be careful or you will ruin Kevin's reputation.

Crap, I still need to post my front air-dam/spoiler project. It's killer and I owe major kudos to the rhodyguy. beerchug.gif
Rand
You know, another perspective is... Let the bitches expose themselves. I mean, you post what you are doing - they post their meaningless dribble.... YOU WIN! The majority will always encourage the creativity of the doers. Geez, I'm sounding like a broken record.
pffft

Our loss.

And you should see his new dash board!!!

patrick
marks914
Remember, input is one thing and being downright mean is another.
If I had listened to others, I would not have done several production cars, SEMA Cars, had my own car in Hot Rod magazines and had worked on a contender for the Riddeler this year.
Do what you want, and take what you need form the input, you are doing it for you

Mark
championgt1
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 10 2008, 07:16 PM) *

Dammit Jack, be careful or you will ruin Kevin's reputation.

Crap, I still need to post my front air-dam/spoiler project. It's killer and I owe major kudos to the rhodyguy. beerchug.gif

I also owe rhodyguy big.

QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 10 2008, 07:28 PM) *

You know, another perspective is... Let the bitches expose themselves. I mean, you post what you are doing - they post their meaningless dribble.... YOU WIN! The majority will always encourage the creativity of the doers. Geez, I'm sounding like a broken record.

agree.gif Well said!
Spoke
To the title: Are We Stifling Creativity; From my point of view, creativity may not be stifled by critical responses, just open communication stifled. This has been my experience on 914 boards.

One of my first posts was a tongue-in-cheek solution to my leaky 1.7L tired POS in my 71.

Skid Plate

In 2004 I had no interest in fixing leaks in an engine I knew I didn't want to work on so I did the skid plate to catch oil drips. Took quite a beating with comments. Got a few laughs which was the goal of the thread. The negative comments from this thread kept me from posting for a long time.

BTW, fast forward to 2008, the same engine is still there, still running good, hasn't dripped a single drop of oil anywhere, and hasn't blown up. Actually a blow up would have been welcome: What better reason to put a new engine in than the old one blew up.

On last note to Jake: Please don't stop posting on this site. I enjoy seeing the magic you do with these engines and one day I hope to have one of your engines in my car.
for those any of us on either side,

i say stop your bitchin. if you dont like it thats cool just say you dont but dont be an ass about it. and if somebody wants to do something creative just for the hell of let em. im planning on setting up a custom made blower out of the type 4 cooling fan. maybe it wont work maybe it will be good for more hp who knows. but for the hell of creative im doing it. come on you haters bring on your stupid bitchin. but for those who dont do anything or just take the beaten path shut the hell up. i want to do it my way. now if you have had a bad experience doing something that i may be embarking on tell me and i will consider the problem and then i will figure how to get around it. but we all need to be more supportive in creativity. theres always a chance of failing but its always worth the shot. if those of us want to take that chance then dont nay say dammit. now let the creativness begin. and for those who are afraid of posting for fear of bashing screw the bashers post anyways and piss them off.
steven garis
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 10 2008, 05:49 PM) *

How did this turn into another Jake thread? He wasn't the only one referenced in the beginning but it seems alot here think he was the source of the thread. Only Mark knows for sure but I imagine his intent was about the bashing in general. We all know who here has a rep for being a dick and who doesn't. Problem is the new guy or the guy who only checks in from time to time doesn't know. It is therefore up to the rest of us to inform him.her and to give him/her support and help that some won't.

Eric I am with you 100 % Nuff said

As for myself I think my statement about not replying to threads was misunderstood. I have NO problem advising anyone who contacts me directly on a paint,bodywork or even welding subject. I have no problem sharing my experience, I just quit replying to threads on the subjects because they were overrun with less than stellar info. I used to try and straighten some aspects out but it seemed completely futile so I stopped. I have seen time and time again the same questions, ( looking to buy a welder, which one ? ) the same answers most of which are based on said posters personal experience ( I got a Mller 125 and love it...I got a Miller 125 and it's a P.O.S.) etc. etc. etc .......

Hell when it all blows up we can still blame Canada

Shoot, I just wish you were within a 100 miles of me. I know engines fair and people who know them very well. Body work and such I would love to learn from someone that is as knowledgable as you.
chris914
In general an open forum is a great tool for fostering creativity. It allows for a place where people can exchange ideas and gain insight to others viewpoints. Just having this thread is a very good example of that.

Exchanging ideas and understanding others allows us to form new thoughts that we may have not considered before.

Take the following example: One person sees a 914 and says it’s orange and another person sees it and says it’s red. Now you can say that one person is right or wrong. But another view might be is why does each person see it as a certain color (I’m always surprised when people say my 72 914 is red when it is orange).

Just like this thread, everyone may see it as one way or another, and right or wrong, just the exchange of ideas and thoughts is good and helps foster a more creative environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creativity#Cr...arious_contexts

And from Bill Murray in "Meatballs"

“That’s just the attitude we don’t need, Phil. Sure, Mohawk has beaten us 12 years in a row. Sure, they’re terrific athletes. They’ve got the best equipment that money can buy. Hell, every team they’re sending over here has their own personal masseuse. Not masseur. Masseuse. But, it doesn’t matter. Do you know that every Mohawk competitor has electrocardiogram, blood and urine tests every 48 hours to see if there’s any change in his physical condition. Do you know that they use the most sophisticated training methods from the Soviet Union, East and West Germany, and the newest Olympic power, Trinidad Tobago. But, it doesn’t matter. It just doesn’t matter. It just doesn’t matter! I tell you it just doesn’t matter! It just doesn’t matter! Even...and even if we win...if we win... Ha! Even if we win. Even if we play so far over our heads that our noses bleed for a week to ten days. Even if God in Heaven above comes down and points His hand at our side of the field. Even if everyman woman and child held hands together and prayed for us to win. It just wouldn’t matter because all the really good looking girls would still go out with the guy from Mohawk cause they’ve got all the money. It just doesn’t matter if we win or we lose. It just doesn’t matter! It just doesn’t matter! It just doesn't matter!”
ThinAir
I've been pretty quiet here for a long time. It's not because I've been the victim of any of the things described, but just life being busy. But I have noticed a change in tone over time since the big "split" and it seems to me that there are far fewer technical discussions than I used to see.

I really appreciate that Mark asked the question because it is so critically important that we make everyone feel welcome here and that we all share as much as we can. I understand those with business interests who feel they must be somewhat restrictive, but even so we're all better off the more we share.

While the last 5 pages of debate was going on, I was having a blast on the Route 66 Ramble... driving my 2.0L 914/4 at 100 a couple of times and cruising at 95 on some great roads. The smile on my face was possible because the folks on this board were willing to answer my dumb questions with patience so that I could build a reliable "stock" Type IV that is serving my needs very well.

Build it or buy it, I don't care. Just drive the thing and enjoy it!
euro911
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Mar 11 2008, 12:07 AM) *
... Build it or buy it, I don't care. Just drive the thing and enjoy it!
Yaaaah mad.gif
Jake Raby
Think about this:
When someone posts something with an engine that I know is heading them in the wrong direction (from my experience) it would be unfair for me NOT to say something to them. Sure it might embarass them or piss them off, but it might save an engine and a few thousand bucks... Does anyone know how many times I have seen pics of heads posted here that were just rebuilt and noted cracks in them that no one saw with their own eyes in person??? Thats just one example...

When one of these engines fails, no matter why or how it gives the opposition and TIV critics one more thing to bitch about. I'l do anything to keep those things from occuring and if that means pissing someone off- so be it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.