Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr. 914 interview on Aircooled Technology Radio!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 1 2008, 02:49 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

Wonder what my secret file says blink.gif WTF.gif

Sorry to say, but not good Mike. Are you still in Lafayette?
TravisNeff

rolleyes.gif

Miata Driver? driving-girl.gif

hide.gif
LvSteveH
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 1 2008, 02:43 PM) *

Some people just don't get along. Our customer comments in your file from several different salesman reflect just that. Sorry Michael. And you look like such a handsome harmless guy!

Now you're on the sh*t list Wills laugh.gif

That's why I'm nice to George wub.gif I even tried to get the lawyer to prove his case smile.gif
Ferg
Nope, no longer in Lafayette

Me and Wills just a couple of unreasonable customers rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ May 1 2008, 01:59 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

Miata Driver? driving-girl.gif

hide.gif

av-943.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 1 2008, 01:57 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

Sorry to say, but not good Mike. Are you still in Lafayette?

Secret files? av-943.gif

How could Ferg possibly piss off anyone?
(besides the painters that are mad because there is no more blue tape on the shelf at Home Depot)

Do you think there is a note in Wills file that reads:

"Very handsome man, but what a pain in the ass"

laugh.gif
SLITS
M & M ... you should be so ashamed for expecting to get what you want / need / order ..... What is this world coming to ...

Bottom feeders & Crackers
Eric_Shea
I have to wonder how many of you have read his book 700 tips. How many of you have gone to his shop?

I have.

I have.

I'll try to be clear; George has a tremendous amount of knowledge about 914's and their derivatives, probably more so than most any other single person in the world.

He just seems to do stupid things over and over again;

Needlessly pissing off potential customers over a catalog fee that would be recouped with the very first loving order. (Study: Lifetime value of a customer)

Needlessly pissing off Paul over a price quoted by one of his employees while Paul is building his car in front of the world in Excellence Magazine. ($20 bucks below cost to honor a quote would have netted the very best type of advertising... and honest editorial mention.)

Needlessly pissing off customers by telling them their stuff is in stock and charging for it when it's obviously not. (Study: Lifetime value of a customer)

Needlessly pissing off customers by not taking a product back for return... even when they asked for a product credit. (Study: Lifetime value of a customer)

Selling VIN numbers for scraped cars over the internet. Duh. headbang.gif (you could have time to study all the above in your cell)

When he showed up here I though "finally" no more shills doing his seeding. The man himself. Maybe he'll see how these people feel. Maybe he'll help and offer restitution to some of them. Maybe he'll share his immense knowledge of the 914 with the masses here (which would be a brilliant marketing move in itself.) Things were looking up.

Then this shit... selling VIN's online.

Yeah... I'd love to see the PPI video. Especially the part about the VIN numbers and how important they are. "And here, boys and girls is where the VIN number is located. Make sure they've not been welded in from another car... this can happen, believe it or not!"

There was a day when we needed the services of someone so knowledgeable there was only one place to go and one man to get the information from. There was a day we would eat a bucket of her shit just to see her @$$.

Today we have forums where people share knowledge openly. When you add up the Gustl's and the SLITS and the DaveP's and Jeff Bowlsby's and the Andy's and McMark and Brad and Joe Sharp and Gint's and Pat Garvey's and THOMAS and the James Montibello's of the world and you pool all their knowledge... guess what? That bucket of shit is no longer so tasty.

George, I for one would like you to get your shit together and respect this group of people who would so love to respect you. We could use you as one of our allies.

Ain't gonna get there by salting the wound or selling 914-6 VIN's on eBay.

wink.gif
SLITS
Damn Eric ..... ar15.gif

He still won't get it.

Hi Sam, We've had good conversations .... You'll get help as long as you have money or something of interest. After that you'll be dusted off like a bad dream.

Speaking of bad dreams, how is 914114?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 1 2008, 03:37 PM) *

I have to wonder how many of you have read his book 700 tips. How many of you have gone to his shop?

I have.

I have.

I'll try to be clear; George has a tremendous amount of knowledge about 914's and their derivatives, probably more so than most any other single person in the world.

Needlessly pissing off potential customers over a catalog fee that would be recouped with the very first loving order. (Study: Lifetime value of a customer)

Needlessly pissing off Paul over a price quoted by one of his employees while Paul is building his car in front of the world in Excellence Magazine. ($20 bucks below cost to honor a quote would have netted the very best type of advertising... and honest editorial mention.)

Needlessly pissing off customers by telling them their stuff is in stock and charging for it when it's obviously not. (Study: Lifetime value of a customer)

Needlessly pissing off customers by not taking a product back for return... even when they asked for a product credit. (Study: Lifetime value of a customer)

Selling VIN numbers for scraped cars over the internet. Duh. headbang.gif (you could have time to study all the above in your cell)

When he showed up here I though "finally" no more shills doing his seeding. The man himself. Maybe he'll see how these people feel. Maybe he'll help and offer restitution to some of them. Maybe he'll share his immense knowledge of the 914 with the masses here (which would be a brilliant marketing move in itself.) Things were looking up.

Yeah... I'd love to see the PPI video. Especially the part about the VIN numbers and how important they are. "And here, boys and girls is where the VIN number is located. Make sure they've not been welded in from another car... this can happen, believe it or not!"

There was a day when we needed the services of someone so knowledgeable there was only one place to go and one man to get the information from. There was a day we would eat a bucket of her shit just to see her @$$.

Today we have forums where people share knowledge openly when you add up the Gustl's and the SLITS and the DaveP's and Jeff Bowlsby's and the Andy's and McMark and Brad and Joe Sharp and Gint's and Pat Garvey's and THOMAS and the James Montibello's of the world and you pool all their knowledge... guess what? That bucket of shit is no longer so tasty.

George, I for one would like you to get your shit together and respect this group of people who would so love to respect you. We could use you as one of our allies.

wink.gif

thank you for your kind thoughts.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 1 2008, 03:48 PM) *

Damn Eric ..... ar15.gif

He still won't get it.

Hi Sam, We've had good conversations .... You'll get help as long as you have money or something of interest. After that you'll be dusted off like a bad dream.

I've got it, Slits, and its in the bank!!!!!!!
SLITS
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 1 2008, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ May 1 2008, 03:48 PM) *

Damn Eric ..... ar15.gif

He still won't get it.

I've got it, Slits, and its in the bank!!!!!!!

Exactly .... point made.
TROJANMAN
I wonder if the VIN is still attached........ph34r.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 1 2008, 04:06 PM) *

I wonder if the VIN is still attached........ph34r.gif

We have about 200 up the street from which you can choose. All need saving.
MoveQik

Some people just don't get along. Our customer comments in your file from several different salesman reflect just that. Sorry Michael. And you look like such a handsome harmless guy!

Me and Ferg on the same list?? It's an honor to be in such good company.

What worries me however is this, there is an old man in Goat Fuck Holler** that thinks I am good looking. This is very disturbing indeed.

**Credit to Z for that one.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(MoveQik @ May 1 2008, 04:25 PM) *

Me and Ferg on the same list?? It's an honor to be in such good company.

What worries me however is this, there is an old man in Goat Fuck Holler** that thinks I am good looking. This is very disturbing indeed.

**Credit to Z for that one.

I think that we should take a vote Just look at that pretty face!

http://www.hotrealestateaz.com/art/willsnewp2.jpg
1970 Neun vierzehn
popcorn[1].gif
My gawd, do I love this Forum. So much better than anything on the tube. Heros and villians; drama sad.gif smile.gif , humor av-943.gif , conflict ar15.gif , resolution grouphug.gif , backstabbing chair.gif even sex wub.gif Friggen' Hollywood can't write stuff as good as what I see here. And wifey wonders why I'd rather log onto this Forum than watch dancing with the sluts or 'merikan idiot.

Paul

rhodyguy
damn eric. zoiks.

i'm sure my folder is in the "complete and total asshole" file.

k
Eric_Shea
i'm sure my folder is in the "complete and total asshole" file.

Mine's probably in the "round" file.

I hope my sincerity shows through. I really would like to see George "get it right" with this community. We've proven ourselves to be very forgiving and he's one hell of a 914 advocate.
KELTY360
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 1 2008, 03:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 1 2008, 03:37 PM) *

I have.

I have.

Today we have forums where people share knowledge openly when you add up the Gustl's and the SLITS and the DaveP's and Jeff Bowlsby's and the Andy's and McMark and Brad and Joe Sharp and Gint's and Pat Garvey's and THOMAS and the James Montibello's of the world and you pool all their knowledge... guess what? That bucket of shit is no longer so tasty.

wink.gif

thank you for your kind thoughts.

what a dick.

headbang.gif
914werke
confused24.gif Boy did this get off track huh.gif screwy.gif
dw914er
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 1 2008, 07:05 PM) *

confused24.gif Boy did this get off track huh.gif screwy.gif

yea

we need to get more questions

and i think an apology maybe.

yes, the ebay ad was probably not very smart. And it didnt make things any better. But he is after all, a business man, and he wanted to sell the car. Ebay though can be hell for any seller though.

But he also is a big 914 guys, knows alot of the ins and outs of the car, and is helping get more parts for our cars.

You cant deny that fact.

anyways, i know i have another question for him. I mentioned earlier about the usa spec taillights that are new. Where are they?

and french ones too. If i ever do another car, or replace mine, im on the fence for either style

anyways....
ericread
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 28 2008, 04:29 PM) *

Thats right, love him or hate him, he is the Dr. of all 914s and he is still dedicated to these cars...

I thought having George on the show would be a perfect addition to my show and would prove to being both informative and entertaining, with a tad bit of spice.

Considering that George and I have vastly different views on several aspects of the 914 this show should be very interesting to say the very least!!

So, what questions would you like to have me ask the Dr. during the show?? What do you want to know about AA and how the company was started??

I am looking forward to this show!

Jake:
At this point, I think you're got our attention. I will be anxiously awaiting the next installment of your radio show on iTunes!

My thanks for the entertainment value of today's posts.

WildBill
I have read years of AA/George bashing and don't understand it. We all know about AA yet continue to be surprised when George or someone from AA does something we find offensive.

Is it because people think AA should/could be great and can't comprehend that George does not want to change the way he is? That someone who apparently seems to love the 914 could be such a burro.gif ?

He obviously does not see a problem with his actions or the actions of his company. He does not care and will not change. So be it. Don't buy from him if you don't like the way he operates. I purchased items from him twice over a ten year period. Both time I received a healthy helping of post-2-1117899824.gif. I won't try again.

Since Jake is trying to do something interesting for the 914 community, the least we could do is attempt to come up with constructive questions without turning this thread into yet another AA bashing session.

Here is one-

Would it be possible to have the quality of your crappy used parts remotely resemble the glowing description your cranky salespeople spew over the phone?

Oh wait, I guess I do understand it idea.gif .

auerbach
Regarding the VIN issue, each state has their own rules. At least in New York, the rule is that if a car has been totaled, and the wreck sold WITHOUT A TITLE, then NYS will issue its own VIN as if the car was a kit car.

IF a car was SOLD/TRANSFERED WITH A TITLE regardless of condition, then the "car" retains its' VIN.

The question which remains unanswered is what if a VIN is SOLD with a TITLE, but without a vechile? NYDMV will never know but is it legal? Probably not.
E-Man
What is your favorite engine transplant for the 914 (Porsche and non-Porsche)?

Have you driven a 914 competitively? (Road race, autocross, hillclimb, other)

What is your current favorite non-914 automobile of all time. Or list, or dream car?

What non-US country has the most 914s on the road or in existance today?

What reproduction 914 parts might we see from you in the next couple of years?

-Mike Dugan
jsayre914
Question:

George, is your bussiness where you want it to be. Do you plan to expand and become larger, is it too big already. Do you have retirement plans? what the hell will happen to all of those cars if you do retire? biggrin.gif
dw914er
question

where do you see the evolution of 914's going into the future?

How do you think the gas crisis, and the emissions crunch down on old cars( headbang.gif ) will affect 914's?
sww914
I have a question- Why don't you answer a straight question with a straight answer?
I think that Jake can dish out some straight questions.
Will we get rhetorical answers?
Does the Dr. have his list of talking points written up?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(auerbach @ May 2 2008, 09:45 AM) *

Regarding the VIN issue, each state has their own rules. At least in New York, the rule is that if a car has been totaled, and the wreck sold WITHOUT A TITLE, then NYS will issue its own VIN as if the car was a kit car.

IF a car was SOLD/TRANSFERED WITH A TITLE regardless of condition, then the "car" retains its' VIN.

The question which remains unanswered is what if a VIN is SOLD with a TITLE, but without a vechile? NYDMV will never know but is it legal? Probably not.

Happens all of the time. People reconstruct cars from other cars. Needless to say a rebuilt car is worth loads less than an original one......... Case in point, my beautiful red 356 roadster I drive every day. Looks fabulous. Has been totaled at least three times and one time someone died in it. TOTALLY reconstructed at a terrific expense, and the 356 roadster market is out of sight. BUT and original unmolested car compared to my rolling reconstructed total? thirty grand less. Let us all remember I am speaking about old old cars, not new ones that are still on the road. Old cars are hard to find parts for and hard to restore dealing with both rust and previous wreck.
Another case in point, a well well known Atlanta sports figure recently has his 68 shelby mustang rebodied. The shop paid 11,000 for a 68 fastback, dismantled it to the bones, cut out all of the numbers (actually sectioned a piece of the frame) bodyworked painted and reassembled. The original body was rusted and bondoed and someone sold it to the athlete taking terrible advantage of him.
Bottom line, restoration is way to expensive to compromise the work, work with the best available and do the best job for the customer. (that is what we try hard to do every day believe it or not) (though 30 years in business this year proves that!)

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ May 2 2008, 10:40 AM) *

Question:

George, is your bussiness where you want it to be. Do you plan to expand and become larger, is it too big already. Do you have retirement plans? what the hell will happen to all of those cars if you do retire? biggrin.gif

Thanks for the question: We are currently overhauling the website and really have our hands full now. The 914 catalog mailing was fabulously successful (I hesitated printing and mailing until I talked to a mentor of mine Mike Yeager at Mid America, who pounded it into me that car people are all not just exclusively on the internet)
Since then we are deep into the 924 944 catalog which in comparison to the 33,000 mailed to the 914 list, we have over 60,000 in the 924 44 24s 68 list! It is going to be terrifically expensive but we are doing it and have really stocked the shelves with parts for these cars.
I like my business where it is as I LOVE to restore Porsches and the shop is a very important part of our business for that and giving us instant technical knowledge of all of the cars. The guys in back are heavily into boxsters and 996 models now, the heavy number of 914 restorations here certainly the ballast to keep us super super busy. Our business will naturally grow (in the past it has risen and fallen on the introduction of different Porsche models) and with over 200,000 boxsters out there we will have a lot to handle in the future. We have many many parts planned that we are now making domestically and in China, (and India)
By the way, Mia and I do e bay together on the weekends for the fun of it , selling crap that no one would ever know we have (like the leftovers from customers restorations, 356 took kit pieces, 63-65 buick riviera parts postwar Lionel trains, and advertising our catalogs and books)
I will never retire nor become more cantankerous as I get older so expect me around for awhile. I can still run six miles just fine, but maybe my arm wrestling is not as good any more, but I am much more tolerant and not so idealistic anymore.

If I ever sell the "collection" It would be as one and that would mean I retired from the 914 and that I will NEVER do.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(dw914er @ May 2 2008, 10:55 AM) *

question

where do you see the evolution of 914's going into the future?

How do you think the gas crisis, and the emissions crunch down on old cars( headbang.gif ) will affect 914's?

914s are the last of the air cooled reasonably priced Porsches so in the near future they will rapidly appreciate as many have seen them do recently. However as the years pass the demand will diminish and the values will level as the baby boomers fade and die off. Let's face it the 914 will never be the true classic that its father the 356 is, more of a cult car with an intense following.
Let's face the facts we are running out of petroleum and the years of the gasoline burning engine are limited. Everytime I get into my Dad's original 64 Buick Riviera and step on the gas, I know that 12 mpg on high test makes the car expensive entertainment (and I can remember filling the car for 24 cents a gallon!)
With that said, I truly believe that in ten years gasoline will be ten dollars a gallon and driving every gasoline powered car will be entertainment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(E-Man @ May 2 2008, 10:17 AM) *

What is your favorite engine transplant for the 914 (Porsche and non-Porsche)?

Have you driven a 914 competitively? (Road race, autocross, hillclimb, other)

What is your current favorite non-914 automobile of all time. Or list, or dream car?

What non-US country has the most 914s on the road or in existance today?

What reproduction 914 parts might we see from you in the next couple of years?

-Mike Dugan

The best all around transplant for a 914 is a 3.0. Factory designed to operate with a larger six cylinder (but not as big as a 3.6 without serious chassis and suspension stiffening) one can purchase factory like parts to easily install the engine and have sufficient power for most occasions. The 3.0 is readily available and fairly bullet proof and with Richard Parr's carb set, a fairly easy installation while keeping the 914 original in appearance and in the factory configuration

I have completed many of the Porsche club driving schools at Road Atlanta along with taking their three day racing school. I would love to race, pride myself on turning some fairly hot laps at Road Atlanta, but would never race because it would bankrupt me!!!!!!!
My favorite non 914 car ARE my 356s. I really love those cars. Other than that I have my Dad's original 64 Riviera he and I purchased new in May of 64, I love my 71 jag xke convertible, look fondly on my 73 mgb gt as it reminds me of my first college car, and recently came within a moment of buying a new ford gt 40
As everyone probably knows 75% of 914 production went the the U.S. and of that 75% went to you california boys (maybe that is why you all act so spoiled!!)
Of what remained nothing went to England because of the right hand drive problem (crayford conversions was not a dealer!) So these days most of our out of country business comes from Germany and France. Very strong clubs in both countries. (and of course Canada)
We are planning many new parts for these cars and always starting with the body as I have always said. "if you have no body you have no car" The specific parts are company secret as we know what is needed in the market and don't want to give it away.
736conver
Ah these are questions for the radio show.
I believe Jake is looking for questions not for you to answer them here but on his show.

headbang.gif
zymurgist
How about electrical parts, new or refurbishments? I'm thinking along the lines of fuel injection items such as TPS's.
E-Man
Thanks anyway George! I might miss the show. Jake: Ask anyway. You never know where the conversation can lead.

OT: I learned to drive in fields on a Farmall tractor; Dad taught me road driving in a '68 VW Microbus (2nd one he owned, first was '59); day after I got my license I drove thru the garage door (Dad in passenger seat; another story altogether).

Go with your gut and fun with it.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(zymurgist @ May 2 2008, 12:05 PM) *

How about electrical parts, new or refurbishments? I'm thinking along the lines of fuel injection items such as TPS's.

yes yes yes! You are on the money here 2.0 tps!
Joe Bob
Esplain dis, Lucy.....

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/titles/index.asp
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Joe Mama @ May 2 2008, 01:25 PM) *

ainta no title on cars 85 and older Charlie Brown! 86 and up only In fact Georgia had no title law at all until 1964. I own four 356 models, three are worth 90 grand plus one 75 plus and only have registrations NO TITLES!!!!!!! One has to guard these old non title cars here in Georgia with his life.
veltror
We are paying 8.32 dollars per us gallon her in the UK, you have a lot further to go before you can start complaining... trust me....

R
736conver
We are paying 8.32 dollars per us gallon her in the UK, you have a lot further to go before you can start complaining... trust me....

R

Not to get even further into hijacking this thread but your paying for the NHS with that extra taxation. Not really comparing apples to apples.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(veltror @ May 2 2008, 02:51 PM) *

R

We are probably not complaining but worrying about running out of oil. I truly believe that if Saudi Arabia said one day that they would not sell us oil any more, we would instantly invade the country (not to hijack the thread about the dirty bastard selling numberless bodies!)
jsayre914

(not to hijack the thread about the dirty bastard selling numberless bodies!)

av-943.gif av-943.gif
I like your humor george
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 2 2008, 12:43 PM)

ainta no title on cars 85 and older Charlie Brown! 86 and up only In fact Georgia had no title law at all until 1964.

That's not entirely true, but I have grown tired of this conversation.......... wacko.gif
biggrin.gif
914werke
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 2 2008, 03:18 PM) *

ainta no title on cars 85 and older Charlie Brown! 86 and up only In fact Georgia had no title law at all until 1964.

That's not entirely true, but I have grown tired of this conversation.......... wacko.gif
biggrin.gif

To continue this hijack of a hijack:
Thats pretty weak! Call someone a liar
then bail before backing up your argument.

R.
Eric_Shea

(not to hijack the thread about the dirty bastard selling numberless bodies!)

I like your humor george

Me too dry.gif

I think it's the "bodiless numbers" he had for sale on the Internet we're more worried about than the rusted POS shell. wink.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 2 2008, 03:10 PM) *

QUOTE(veltror @ May 2 2008, 02:51 PM) *

R

We are probably not complaining but worrying about running out of oil. I truly believe that if Saudi Arabia said one day that they would not sell us oil any more, we would instantly invade the country (not to hijack the thread about the dirty bastard selling numberless bodies!)

Why would we do that? There are many other contries that have oil... including our own. I think it is just a matter of time before India and China's opperations are up to full capacity as well.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 2 2008, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 2 2008, 03:18 PM) *

biggrin.gif

To continue this hijack of a hijack:
Thats pretty weak! Call someone a liar
then bail before backing up your argument.

R.

I didn't call him a liar, but what he said is only half true.
There are statutes on the books that say otherwise.
Some of them are posted in the other thread that talks about him selling VIN numbers without cars wink.gif
Joe Bob
I'm not talking about a title....I'm talking about putting a FACTORY VIN on another car...and then selling said car as a street legal, allegedly from the factory original car. You simply can't legally do it.

A stolen car, a theft recovery, a wrecked/salvaged car that is rebuilt gets a new VIN from the State....a STATE generated VIN, not one that identifies it being direct from the manufacturer. Just like the sticker from DMV my crappy fake Speedster has.

The State inspects it, you provide a brake and headlight certificate and it gets back on the road....some States even exempt you from smog. CA issues 500 a year, I stood in line and got #348 at 8:10 am on January 2nd....

IF A TITLE is issued it's stamped as being a homebuilt, rebuilt, salvage, reclamation, or a one eyed trouser trout.....if no title is issued, you at least get a registration that describes what it is.

If THAT's not the case, then that State you live in should have more cousins marrying each other.....because it sure can't get any more retarded.....
Sam Charters
To try and apply California logic to what go on in the southern states will never work, do not even try.

My Question for George is How many of these cars are going over to other countries each year and if so which ones?

Slits, the answer to your question is; that car is in the process of restoration.

cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.