Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr. 914 interview on Aircooled Technology Radio!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Jake Raby
Thats right, love him or hate him, he is the Dr. of all 914s and he is still dedicated to these cars...

I thought having George on the show would be a perfect addition to my show and would prove to being both informative and entertaining, with a tad bit of spice.

Considering that George and I have vastly different views on several aspects of the 914 this show should be very interesting to say the very least!!

So, what questions would you like to have me ask the Dr. during the show?? What do you want to know about AA and how the company was started??

I am looking forward to this show!
ericread
OK! popcorn[1].gif How do I tune in to this? Will there be a cage? Gloves or bare-hands? Will George be bringing along his shell (the one without the VIN?)
Jake Raby
The podcast is hosted via Itunes and produced by my company. Do a search on Itunes for "Aircooled Technology Radio"

Or follow this link
http://rdtlabs.com/podcast/index.html

Our first show is up now, after a year hiatus from the podcast...
Rand
How much is a rusted 914-6 tub worth?
laugh.gif
Ok, sorry. Uncalled for, I know.

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to this episode!
beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 28 2008, 04:59 PM) *

How much is a rusted 914-6 tub worth?
laugh.gif
Ok, sorry. Uncalled for, I know.

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to this episode!
beerchug.gif

AND we have a lot of other junk here for sale!!!!!! Better than the scrapper (metal prices are really up!)
Jake Raby
The response to having George on the show has been phenomenol already... (12 emails in 30 minutes!!!)

SGB
Jake- you da man!
"love him or hate him..." av-943.gif

Good for you George!

I won't miss this.
Cap'n Krusty
Me! Me! I have a question! I've seen the pictures, and I wanna know how they got that doberman to do that ................... The Cap'n
Joe Bob
I wanna know why I have to get up in the middle of the night all the time....
GWN7
QUOTE(Joe Mama @ Apr 28 2008, 04:28 PM) *

Inlarged prostrate?
Joe Bob
Naw, the cat learned to ring the door bell....
SLITS
Only in Georgia

must be the water.
SGB
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Apr 28 2008, 08:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Mama @ Apr 28 2008, 04:28 PM) *

Inlarged prostrate?

av-943.gif

Bruce stop it, yer killin' me!
Chris Pincetich
So George, what's your favorite 914 internet site? wink.gif
If you were given the task of building a hot-rod 914, which MassIVe Raby engine kit would you choose to power it? av-943.gif
How many copies of the new catalog have you mailed out, and where is mine?? beerchug.gif
Jake Raby
We'll be talking about the AA catalog for sure....
The show will air in the middle of May, I am starting to prepare my questions for George now...
dw914er
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 28 2008, 04:51 PM) *

The podcast is hosted via Itunes and produced by my company. Do a search on Itunes for "Aircooled Technology Radio"

Or follow this link
http://rdtlabs.com/podcast/index.html

Our first show is up now, after a year hiatus from the podcast...

Jake, is this free on itunes? I never actually use the store so i wouldnt know.

Should be an interesting broadcast popcorn[1].gif
Jake Raby
Yes, absilutely free on Itunes.... Listen to it on the PC or your Ipod.
914werke
dry.gif ya but you have to load the stupid app to get there. icon8.gif
p914
Hey Jake,
Left a message with your dad yesterday and emailed. Call me at 310-691-8029 about the VO stuff for the show.
Thanks
Eddie
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 28 2008, 11:32 PM) *

Yes, absilutely free on Itunes.... Listen to it on the PC or your Ipod.

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 29 2008, 10:06 AM) *

dry.gif ya but you have to load the stupid app to get there. icon8.gif

agree.gif

Jake, iTunes is fine for a lot of people, but for the rest of it it sucks. Hard. Now I realize that it will give you maximum exposure, but I emplore you...please consider offering up your show through at least one alternative outlet. iTunes is a bloated memory hog, built around greed, that will never see the light of day on any of my machines no matter how much I want to hear you interview George. biggrin.gif

I'm not bashing here at allll, I understand why it was a natural choice. I'm just putting the word out there that a large portion of the population absolutely loathes Apple's precious iTunes.

My $0.02,

Reid bye1.gif
Jake Raby
Itunes does have it's gripes.. BUT it's simple and makes it easy for us to share the show.

If the show continues to be a huge success we'll look into direct downloads. If that happens we'll have to go to a subscription arrangement to justify the cists.

I will also be selling the shows on CD through my store..
ericread
Sorry, but I like iTunes confused24.gif

Thanks Jake, I will look forward to your podcast.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(ericread @ Apr 29 2008, 11:50 AM) *

Nothing to be sorry for, that's great for you. cheer.gif Like I said, many people don't have a problem with iTunes. But many do.

Thanks Jake for acknowledging iTunes' shortcomings. If there were a subscription-based approach with reasonable costs and direct downloads, I'd sign up.

dw914er
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Apr 29 2008, 11:56 AM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Apr 29 2008, 11:50 AM) *

Nothing to be sorry for, that's great for you. cheer.gif Like I said, many people don't have a problem with iTunes. But many do.

Thanks Jake for acknowledging iTunes' shortcomings. If there were a subscription-based approach with reasonable costs and direct downloads, I'd sign up.

what is the problem with itunes.

my only complaint so far is loading videos to the ipod (you can only go through itunes)

everything else seems to work fine
Eric_Shea
See if you can get him to spill the beans and give exact coordinates to the lost warehouse! wink.gif
dw914er
not sure if it applies

but is the doctor with aa helping to get more 914 parts available, especially parts that are no longer carried.

aka stuff from the fuel injection that i can never find, to usa spec taillights?
auerbach
Just hit the link to my iTunes -- happy listening -- when is the video coming? piratenanner.gif
G e o r g e
QUOTE(dw914er @ Apr 29 2008, 02:15 PM) *

not sure if it applies

it does

but is the doctor with aa helping to get more 914 parts available, especially parts that are no longer carried.

that's what we hear

aka stuff from the fuel injection that i can never find, to usa spec taillights?

those Items are on the High Sea's

Jake Raby
I like Itunes, but it can be confusing.. Once I got a Mac it all started making more sense..

Yep, the Dr. is making lots of never before offered items for the 914. His dedication to these cars is what I appreciate most...

He and I talked about some instructional videos produced by my company that would be shot at AA using their goodies, but its still up in the air.. Imagine a video with the Dr. on how to do a PPI on a 914??? That would sell like hell!
dw914er
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 29 2008, 03:13 PM) *

I like Itunes, but it can be confusing.. Once I got a Mac it all started making more sense..

Yep, the Dr. is making lots of never before offered items for the 914. His dedication to these cars is what I appreciate most...

He and I talked about some instructional videos produced by my company that would be shot at AA using their goodies, but its still up in the air.. Imagine a video with the Dr. on how to do a PPI on a 914??? That would sell like hell!

mac experience probably helps alot

i think any 914 video that gives tips to do work on the car, and tricks to get around the tight spaces would be pretty sweet

casue my haynes manual sucks!!!! lol
Gint
itunes is just a tool... it's like a screwdriver. A standard screwdriver. You hate using it, but it gets the job done and you own a dozen.

I wouldn't miss this for nuthin.
Lavanaut
In the interest of staying on Jake's original topic, I started an iTunes related thread here.

Jake please make sure to ask George his take on iTunes though. laugh.gif
auerbach
Jake -- some topics for George:

PPI
When I get my 914, what do I fix first and why?
How bad is the rust problem -- really and what can I do to prevent it?
What is the supply status of parts, NLA, Repro, used junk yard etc.
How tough is it for someone non mechanically inclined lawyer to work on a 914 with or without a craftsman 118 piece metric tool kit?

Happy listening. driving.gif
Gint
I'm formulating my question for the good doctor. I'll go think about it some more while I'm in the garage working on the 914...
Jake Raby
Cool.. Keep posting questions. I started putting together the show last night and will do the interview next week some time..

FWIW- Itunes complaints are pretty few for us, the show is such a big hit nobody gives a damn about how they have to listen to it!
Eric_Shea
Here's one:

"What's the rational behind cutting VIN numbers and keeping the title of a 914-6 that went to the crusher; then selling them for $500.00?"

From a current eBay auction:
However if you decide to purchase this vehicle, we do have a set of numbers and a good Georgia title for six number 9140430023 that we crushed years and years ago. The high bidder can buy this title and number set for an additional $500.00

Jake, not trying to piss on the parade but it would probably help George immensely if he had a seriously legitimate reason for doing something like this. It would be good to hear it in his words.
dw914er
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 30 2008, 01:42 PM) *

Here's one:

"What's the rational behind cutting VIN numbers and keeping the title of a 914-6 that went to the crusher; then selling them for $500.00?"

From a current eBay auction:
However if you decide to purchase this vehicle, we do have a set of numbers and a good Georgia title for six number 9140430023 that we crushed years and years ago. The high bidder can buy this title and number set for an additional $500.00

Jake, not trying to piss on the parade but it would probably help George immensely if he had a seriously legitimate reason for doing something like this. It would be good to hear it in his words.

it would be nice to kno exactly (sort of a press release)

but we dont wanna piss off george. He has been making parts easier for our cars.

I will find another question for george, but i cant think of it right now
914werke
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 29 2008, 03:53 PM) *

itunes is just a tool... it's like a screwdriver. A standard screwdriver. You hate using it, but it gets the job done and you own a dozen.

One last Itunes shot: Gint not a good analogy. A better one would be it is like a
mother in law. She may have been necessary at one time but now she is just a annoying bloated windbag that you are subjected to on occasion. laugh.gif and you keep wishing you could be rid of. headbang.gif

Back to the thread: ask himn if he's a MC rider, what he owns rides and what paralles he woulkd make between bikes and the 914's. (My own observation)
Jake Raby
There will be no negativity on this show! I don't give a damn about what George does, or why he does it.

George is an 914 icon and like I said, love him or hate him there is no one that has done in the past or is doing more no1 for the 914 than George and AA. I call that being a hard charger.

The show is about aircooled engines and the cars they propel and the people that make them what they are- not about anything else.
Joe Bob
Then I predict yer gonna need a 10 second delay and a dump button for callers....the Doc did a pretty good rehab of his rep here of late and now he's been silent on this VIN issue with that Piece of Crap 914/6.

He needs to address that issue.....2,000 good deeds can get trashed by one unexplained faux paus.....

Remember the joke about Claude The World's Greatest Lover? He had his way with every imaginable women in the world....he gets stranded on a desert island with an ugly Ewe....

What's his nickname NOW???? sheeplove.gif

GWN7
QUOTE(Joe Mama @ Apr 30 2008, 05:49 PM) *

Then I predict yer gonna need a 10 second delay and a dump button for callers....the Doc did a pretty good rehab of his rep here of late and now he's been silent on this VIN issue with that Piece of Crap 914/6.

He needs to address that issue.....2,000 good deeds can get trashed by one unexplained faux paus.....

Remember the joke about Claude The World's Greatest Lover? He had his way with every imaginable women in the world....he gets stranded on a desert island with an ugly Ewe....

What's his nickname NOW???? sheeplove.gif

Miles?
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 30 2008, 05:37 PM) *

George is an 914 icon and like I said, love him or hate him there is no one that has done in the past or is doing more no1 for the 914 than George and AA.

Kind of like OJ is a USC Football Icon? blink.gif

(BTW, the glove didn't fit) av-943.gif

Sorry, Back on topic............
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 28 2008, 03:29 PM) *

What do you want to know about AA and how the company was started??

Could you please ask if it was common practice at AA to rebadge cars?
Did the company start as a chop shop? Salvage yard?
dw914er
maybe george was tired of the car, and just decided, hey ill put it on ebay and see what happenes. If he got a dollar for the car, it would at least free up space

but whatever, lets ask some more 914 questions. and im still searching for some to ask myself.
Sam Charters
I know George; he is a person that is very helpful. I have to wonder how many of you have read his book 700 tips. How many of you have gone to his shop? He is very good at it; look back at how many years he has been in business. Think before you ask ignorant questions of him, over the years he has seen most all the problems these cars have or will have.
auerbach
Can we please stop ragging on George. If you have nothing good to say about some one then just keep your red- neck mouth shut. People either love or hate AA and that's business. Personal attacks are just that personal -- and have no place in this place. I would be the first one in line to make fun of George if I could find something to make fun of, but when you are basically a boreing guy with no life what is there to say? Only one thing -- thank you for helping us loyal AA'ers to be supported with parts, knlowledge and assistance so that we can enjoy this extremely enjoyable hobby and past time.
LvSteveH
QUOTE(auerbach @ Apr 30 2008, 11:21 PM) *

Can we please stop ragging on George. If you have nothing good to say about some one then just keep your red- neck mouth shut. People either love or hate AA and that's business. Personal attacks are just that personal -- and have no place in this place. I would be the first one in line to make fun of George if I could find something to make fun of, but when you are basically a boreing guy with no life what is there to say? Only one thing -- thank you for helping us loyal AA'ers to be supported with parts, knlowledge and assistance so that we can enjoy this extremely enjoyable hobby and past time.

Tell you what, if you would like to do George and the whole 914 community a favor, why don't you use your resources as a lawyer to put this issue to rest once and for all. The entire automotive community will owe you a debt of gratitude. Of course you have to approach this from a neutral standpoint and not twist everything to support a given position as lawyers typically do.

What are the state and federal laws with regard to removing the VIN tags from one vehicle and installing them on another, even if you legally own both cars? Which has priority, state or federal statutes? Starter here: 18USC511

We aren't talking about the old British rule that 60% of the car must be retained. We're talking about straight up transplanting VIN's by individuals and shops.
MoveQik
QUOTE(Sam Charters @ Apr 30 2008, 11:12 PM) *

I have to wonder how many of you have read his book 700 tips. How many of you have gone to his shop? He is very good at it; look back at how many years he has been in business. Think before you ask ignorant questions of him, over the years he has seen most all the problems these cars have or will have.

I have read pages of his book. I have been to his shop. My wife sent me there for Father's Day in 2001 as a surprise. She sent me and my dad as a gift for my first Father's day. I flew into Georgia from Arizona for no other reason than to see his shop as she knew that he had a 916. George was aloof at best. He quickly turned us over to a very nice guy(young dude with sideburns) that gave me and my dad a tour. We bought a few things and called it a good trip.

Shortly there after I got completely screwed by him and in his usual arrogance he claimed I was "being a belligerent customer" all because I simply expected him to deliver what he told me had sitting on the shelf. I actually started filing my one and only claim with my credit card company on my order with him.

The fact that he has been in business for years doesn't make him above reproach and it sure as hell doesn't make him right. Hell, Motormeister has been in business for years....so what is your point?

So what is your next question?
dw914er

I know George; he is a person that is very helpful. I have to wonder how many of you have read his book 700 tips. How many of you have gone to his shop? He is very good at it; look back at how many years he has been in business. Think before you ask ignorant questions of him, over the years he has seen most all the problems these cars have or will have.

his book is amazing!!!!!!!

got is as a gift, and it sits next to my hanyes manual lol
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(MoveQik @ May 1 2008, 12:26 AM) *

I have to wonder how many of you have read his book 700 tips. How many of you have gone to his shop? He is very good at it; look back at how many years he has been in business. Think before you ask ignorant questions of him, over the years he has seen most all the problems these cars have or will have.

I have read pages of his book. I have been to his shop. My wife sent me there for Father's Day in 2001 as a surprise. She sent me and my dad as a gift for my first Father's day. I flew into Georgia from Arizona for no other reason than to see his shop as she knew that he had a 916. George was aloof at best. He quickly turned us over to a very nice guy(young dude with sideburns) that gave me and my dad a tour. We bought a few things and called it a good trip.

Shortly there after I got completely screwed by him and in his usual arrogance he claimed I was "being a belligerent customer" all because I simply expected him to deliver what he told me had sitting on the shelf. I actually started filing my one and only claim with my credit card company on my order with him.

The fact that he has been in business for years doesn't make him above reproach and it sure as hell doesn't make him right. Hell, Motormeister has been in business for years....so what is your point?

So what is your next question?

Some people just don't get along. Our customer comments in your file from several different salesman reflect just that. Sorry Michael. And you look like such a handsome harmless guy!
Ferg
rolleyes.gif

Wonder what my secret file says blink.gif WTF.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.