Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Engine Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Copperhead_51
HELP ME with this. I want every ones opinion.
DanT
build a nice 2056 and forget sinking all the money into a conversion....

if you must then stick with a Porsche 6, others will disagree. smile.gif
Copperhead_51
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 13 2008, 12:19 AM) *

build a nice 2056 and forget sinking all the money into a conversion....

if you must then stick with a Porsche 6, others will disagree. smile.gif

I love my car its my baby.
I want a turbo for it or somethin
Todd Enlund
I got my car with the intention of converting to a Subaru. After much thought and research, I have decided to go with a built Type IV. If finances allowed, I would consider a /6 conversion.

The Subaru would be great fun... but it would be too much fun for the street, and not legal to race anywhere that it would be competitive.

But, the final answer is, only you can decide what you want. Start by making a list of what features are important to you. Then evaluate your options.
brant
geo 1000cc 3cylinder
messix
QUOTE(brant @ May 12 2008, 10:32 PM) *

geo 1000cc 3cylinder

where did that come from ,who did it!
Copperhead_51
QUOTE(brant @ May 13 2008, 12:32 AM) *

geo 1000cc 3cylinder

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Don't put that in a poor 914. lol
PeeGreen 914
blink.gif
messix
go sbc.... no replacement for displacement!!! smilie_pokal.gif
effutuo101
I have to disagree Troy, a couple of PSI and 1/2 the weight replace the displacement. I would love to do a turbo /6, but it is really expensive. There are many 911's running in the 350 to 450+ range, but that is way beyond what a teener is willing to spend on a motor, let alone the rest of the upgrades that have to happen to handle that many ponies.
Copperhead_51
QUOTE(messix @ May 13 2008, 12:46 AM) *

go sbc.... no replacement for displacement!!! smilie_pokal.gif

Like those old trans ams what where they like 7.2 litre?
Rand
What's your budget? What are you going to do with the car? Autocross or any kind of racing? Or just street?

PeeGreen 914
I vote a 911 6 biggrin.gif

Copperhead_51
QUOTE(Rand @ May 13 2008, 12:53 AM) *

What's your budget? What are you going to do with the car? Autocross or any kind of racing? Or just street?

Street. under 5k
Copperhead_51
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 13 2008, 12:54 AM) *

nice man whats the HP?
messix
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ May 12 2008, 10:50 PM) *

I have to disagree Troy, a couple of PSI and 1/2 the weight replace the displacement. I would love to do a turbo /6, but it is really expensive. There are many 911's running in the 350 to 450+ range, but that is way beyond what a teener is willing to spend on a motor, let alone the rest of the upgrades that have to happen to handle that many ponies.

aahh come on!!! lets get him to search on the v8 cars and come across the 1200hp twin turbo v8 car, an the alien car, that will get a young guys blood boiling!
messix
QUOTE(Copperhead_51 @ May 12 2008, 10:56 PM) *

nice man whats the HP?

not much!!! happy11.gif my 1.8 will beat him at the ax
Rand
QUOTE(Copperhead_51 @ May 12 2008, 10:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ May 13 2008, 12:53 AM) *

Street. under 5k

That budget rules out any kind of well-done conversion. A Chevy 350 can be done as cheaply as anything, but to do it right you'll need to upgrade the brakes and do some body reinforcement. How much of the fabrication can you do yourself? My opinion, 350 or Subaru for a conversion on a tight budget.
PeeGreen 914
I don't know yet. I am going to dyno it in a few weeks. I just put it in. It is a stock 73 911 engine I bought for 2700. The other conversion stuff will cost you a little more but you can do a quick and dirty for under 5 if you look patiently.

The 2.0l six I replaced had 112hp to the rear wheels when I dynoed it. I'm not sure what this one will come to but it feels much stronger. Got on the freeway the other day and it ws very nice biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(messix @ May 12 2008, 11:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Copperhead_51 @ May 12 2008, 10:56 PM) *

nice man whats the HP?

not much!!! happy11.gif my 1.8 will beat him at the ax

av-943.gif keep dreaming.
championgt1
Keep it Porsche. IMO a chevy belongs in a chevy, subaru in a subaru.

Flame suit on!! blowup.gif
dw914er
where was the type 4 option????

after that, a 6 conversion will suit, and is probably easier to put on
Rand
For your budget, sticking with the TIV is the right thing to do. Dan nailed it in the first reply. Do the job right instead of trying to hack something together on the cheap. The car will be a blast with 120hp.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Rand @ May 12 2008, 11:25 PM) *

For your budget, sticking with the TIV is the right thing to do. Dan nailed it in the first reply. Do the job right instead of trying to hack something together on the cheap. The car will be a blast with 120hp.

agree.gif The type IV has been proven to be a great engine to squeze the HP out of. Plus you save on not adding all the weight.
DanT
I would be happy to match my old Puttputt with 2056 up against any small bore 6 at the AX biggrin.gif , and at many tracks as well... smile.gif
nothing against 6s, because I had a nice one...
some of the other conversions are nice, but they are not cheap....
5K wont get you far with any type of conversion...then what do you end up with. a 914 on jackstands that never gets back on the road...

but you have to do what you want, it is your car... confused24.gif
PeeGreen 914
It's true... when I had my 2.0l six a Euro spec 2.0l four was always right on my heals. I actaully think it was faster than my car. I think it would be close to a 2056. If you went the six route and did it yourself you would still have to use the cheap stuff. Do it right and enjoy it more. The type IV is very amazing with what people are doing to them.
dw914er
i would say, for the inherent nature of the 914, a big, fast quick motor isnt needed to have fun driving the car. My mild 2l type4 makes for an amazing car to drive, and it still sounds really good.
dw914er
btw, has anyone done a vr6, or the supercharged i4?

also, Vw did a 1.8 (or the newer version is a 2.0) turbo i4 (if the i4 and vr6 were both vw)

i would say though for a newer vw motor, the turbo i4 is easier and cheaper to mod than a vr6.
plymouth37
I think the choice is obvious, see below!
geniusanthony
Also gonna jump on the mild type 4 band wagon, you can have alot of fun and work on other areas like suspension and brakes and aesthetics. a $2000 refresh on my cammed 2 liter and a carb rebuilt made it plenty happy.

Try and remember, no matter what yo udo(generally) its not a drag race car...finesse and handling is the strongsuit and 130 hp four is great fun indeed. Even at this level, suspension is probably next in line to a fun ride.\

Good Luck in your decision
nein14
There is always a Turbo Type IV driving.gif
jimkelly
what kind of freak would put a porsche engine in a 914 smoke.gif

popcorn[1].gif

race914
My brother-in-law has a VW Passat W-8.

I've wondered a few times about that conversion.
270 hp @ 6000 rpm and 273 ft·lbf (370 N·m) of torque at 2750 rpm

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

W-8 cutaway/animation

More

And I wouldn't even have to re-badge my car!
Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
I think $5K would be best spent on making the most of the original car. If you dump the money into just making the car Right again, you'll have something to be proud of and it will be keeping another teener unmolested.

Now if your into molesting cars....your going to need alot more money to build the toy. Look at the Pelican site and see the thread about what folks are spending on their cars. $30-40,000 and they still aren't done.
nsr-jamie
You might not even have to do a conversion anymore thanks to a dude named Jake, he can make the stock 4 motors do crazy stuff depending on how much you want to spend....I saw one motor he built (on Youtube) had over 200 horsepower and cost 13,000 dollars and was just nuts!, I know he has more affordable engines for much less, but the four is just one thing to think about.....other than that, all I could dream about would be a nice 3.2 or 3.6 6 cylinder engine in there. Keep it German!!
rudedude
I have a 2.7 rs in my original 6 and have a 2056 in my other and while I can,t drive them side by side my feeling is the 2056 feels and is lighter, sure seems quicker at lower rpm and is more fun to drive at reasonable speeds. The 6 is heavier, feels that way, but at higher rpm can sure build up speed and top end much faster. I love them both.
Just my 2 sense
Jule
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(geniusanthony @ May 13 2008, 04:11 AM) *

Also gonna jump on the mild type 4 band wagon, you can have alot of fun and work on other areas like suspension and brakes and aesthetics. a $2000 refresh on my cammed 2 liter and a carb rebuilt made it plenty happy.

Try and remember, no matter what yo udo(generally) its not a drag race car...finesse and handling is the strongsuit and 130 hp four is great fun indeed. Even at this level, suspension is probably next in line to a fun ride.\

Good Luck in your decision

agree.gif
Engine stuff is the last thing you should do unless the engine does not run. Make it run well and get that suspension dialed in as well as you can before you do anything else to the engine.
cobra94563
I chose porsche 6. but if you're trying to a stay close to 5k, i would say keep the 4. Enjoy a 4!
IMO, conversions take to much time and money, and not worth it unless you really want to bump up HP. I would rather own a nicely done 4, than something you had to cut corners on.
ericread
"None of the above"

Leave it with the 2.0L 4-cyl engine! If I need HP, I can go the Raby route. Stock is the way to build future value.

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"
sww914
Can anyone show us anything besides a type 4 or a Porsche 6 conversion that's still a decent car after 10-15-20 years? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
plymouth37
QUOTE(sww914 @ May 13 2008, 10:49 AM) *

Can anyone show us anything besides a type 4 or a Porsche 6 conversion that's still a decent car after 10-15-20 years? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I think it depends on the overall build quality of the car, not the engine involved.
I am not a big fan of the V8 but here is a fine example of a V8 conversion that is at least 10 years old. And the one behind it is an older conversion as well. Not to say there aren't a ton of s#!tty conversions out there!
Click to view attachment
messix
pj hahn
6freak
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 12 2008, 10:54 PM) *

WOW THAT LOOKS AWESOME Mr !!!! .Stay with a horizontaly opposed motor what ever ya do .or it will change the CG( center of gravity) and f up all your suspention work.........so there
zymurgist
There's always the Boeing turbine engine... popcorn[1].gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(zymurgist @ May 13 2008, 12:01 PM) *

agree.gif Time to start cutting! sawzall-smiley.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ May 13 2008, 01:04 PM) *

It fits in a '32 Ford!

Boeing Turbine Hot Rod
PeeGreen 914
That was just wild biggrin.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 13 2008, 04:55 PM) *

That was just wild biggrin.gif

I've seen it down at LeMay's. The builder used to use it as his DD.
zymurgist
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 13 2008, 07:47 PM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ May 13 2008, 01:04 PM) *

It fits in a '32 Ford!

Boeing Turbine Hot Rod

I saw that car! I think it was (is?) in the Petersen Museum in LA.
zymurgist
Jet Powered Beetle, anyone?

http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

Bonus: it scares off tailgaters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.