Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: British 75 Rustoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
veltror
Well more progress now car very nearly stripped, not sure how to take out the metal dash frame but found a thread so Ill do that tomorrow. Welding welder.gif starts next week. Here are some progress shots.

I hope it is of interest. smash.gif

Roman mad.gifClick to view attachment
veltror
Where did the seat belt mount go?

This is not good. headbang.gif
Gint
welcome.png There are club members here that have repaired worse.
jimkelly
you will love this.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

jim
markb
welcome.png
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(veltror @ May 25 2008, 04:41 PM) *

Well more progress now car very nearly stripped, not sure how to take out the metal dash frame but found a thread so Ill do that tomorrow. Welding welder.gif starts next week. Here are some progress shots.

I hope it is of interest. smash.gif

Roman

Oh boy I am excited. I am gonna grab a seat and stay a while.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=76791&

Welcome aboard Roman! welcome.png
plymouth37
welcome.png
Start Welding! welder.gif
I look forward to following your progress!
veltror
Right got the thing stripped now, and it has gone off to the bodyshop, wish I had the skills to weld decently, needless to say my body man is worried. Also not the last picture of it being transported down to the man, lots of people looking at what it is..
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
veltror
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

My 75 has what appears to be a heat shield under the boot (trunk) at the rear. is this necessary or was this a catalyst thing, it will not have a cat so wondering if I can take this rusty heat shield off.

R.
Bartlett 914
I would leave it on but that is me. Others have eliminated it.

I couldn't help but notice that everyone is on the wrong side of the road! biggrin.gif

Is your car right hand drive?
So.Cal.914
That will be quite a project, but worth it. Welcome to the Jungle... welcome.png
veltror
Nope its left hand drive only about a dozen or so were converted by Crayford to RHD. Who says we are are on the wrong side of the road, probably explains why you have so many accidents driving.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_on_the_left_or_right

veltror
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jun 2 2008, 10:48 PM) *

I would leave it on but that is me. Others have eliminated it.

I couldn't help but notice that everyone is on the wrong side of the road! biggrin.gif

Is your car right hand drive?

Hey Mark,

I bought my 914 when I was living inChicago from a guy called Jay Mikesell from Prterks, do you know him? I am also trying to find a guy called George Hildinger who used to workon914's do you know of him?

Roman
hcdmueller
Left side of the road is way better. Add in roundabouts and it all works perfectly. The Brits got that part "right".

Now if they could just put one faucet on their sinks instead of two the place wouldn't be so bad.

You have to get that car on the road. I remember seeing new cars that looked worse than that on the road. I don't think I ever saw a 914 when I lived there.
swapped
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Jun 3 2008, 08:42 AM) *

Now if they could just put one faucet on their sinks instead of two the place wouldn't be so bad.

We don't have any faucets anywhere - we have taps smile.gif

British 914s suit low-loaders.

IPB Image
veltror
having two taps makes it easier to have a cold shower..... poke.gif
veltror
Some progress, smash.gif bodyman decided to drill out the spot welds and do it that way, now I am scared. Need some advice, since it is going to have a lot of work doen it will never be a resto, so do I go out all the way and go five stud, chrome bumpers and flares and five stud or leave it stock . I would like to leave it yellow but maybe Porsche Speed Yellow Ideas?? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(veltror @ Aug 22 2008, 11:30 AM) *

Ideas??

If you go through all that trouble, why not do whatever you like ... biggrin.gif

This actually doesn't look so bad, i have seen much worse!
beerchug.gif Andy
veltror
more pictures
Eric_Shea
Looks like he's doing it right.
veltror
Right one side is now being cut off, I really do not like the look of this but the bodywork guy says no problems...
smash.gif

SirAndy
huh.gif
Eric_Shea
IPB Image

I'm thinking the guys who painted the lines on the road had a few too many "Mickey's" over lunch. blink.gif

Jay has passed away BTW. sad.gif
veltror
I did hear, i always found him nice, I bought this car from him and some wheel well/wing/fender whatever liners..
tdgray
WOW... your guy has his hands full with that one. blink.gif
beech4rd
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 7 2008, 09:49 PM) *

IPB Image

I'm thinking the guys who painted the lines on the road had a few too many "Mickey's" over lunch. blink.gif

Jay has passed away BTW. sad.gif

The wavy lines are painted both sides of a pedestrian crossing. On pain of death or something slightly worse ( the stocks perhaps) you are not allowed to park cars within them in England. So, tho' you alternately scald or freeze your hands when you wash them in a sink, your chances of surviving crossing the road with the cars coming from the wrong direction are greatly enhanced because you're very visible.
The body guy is probably used to MGBs, which have rockers ( the castle section) that are not all that different from 914s. Add the quality of the 914 body when compared to the shall we say "interesting" concepts applied to the average MGs construction and this repair should be a doddle.
Chris
veltror
Body Guy has never done a MGB, he prefers german iron, old mercedes, 56 beetle cabrio etc...
veltror
smile.gif Right near side sill formed and tacked into place.. ,ight get one side done this week.

Rod
Hi Roman, Great to see a 914 getting the attention it deserves smile.gif

Have you decided which route to go with/without flares yet? If it were me and I had the opportunity to, Steel flares would be being tacked on.. smile.gif

Rod, (yes ddk Rod.)
veltror
Yep, I have the flares, just cannot decide if I want boxster or cup wheels, really confused about what length spacers I am going to need. I am also wondering if speed yellow is the colour to go for!
veltror
Right making good progress on one side

welder.gif

Lots more to do, new floors new sail panel door jamb, flares etc
veltror
Right one side nearly done but the outer suspension supportis suspect. need to find one, problem is nobody sells them as far as I can find so far.. headbang.gif
FourBlades

Someone parting out a car will have one for you.

Just post a WTB in the classifieds.

Good luck with the repairs, looks like it is being done well.

John
veltror
Right door pillar finished now top sill and look at the other side... welder.gif
veltror
Right now for the other side, this is taking longer then I thought. welder.gif
veltror
smash.gif This is getting expensive and worse then I thought.

welder.gif
veltror
Some more welder.gif
sixnotfour
Hang in there, think west coast your next US buy.
FourBlades

You will basically have a new 914 when you get done, and with the modern rust
prevention paints and all it should be good for decades more.

John
markb
Kudos to you for reviving a car most of us would have cut up. pray.gif
It's nice to see a 914 fixed right, so I know at least a few will be around for a loooong time.
veltror
I think I am going to cry.... sad.gif
Eric_Shea
Well... if anybody can put Humpty-Dumpty back together again, I'm betting you have it in the right hands.
veltror
Maybe but this is getting very scary, soon it will be time to spend money with you !!!
veltror
ok i took a picture looking back up the remains of the long, makes me want to cry or feel sick. barf.gif barf.gif
veltror
Ok inner sill tacked on
veltror
Ok rebuilt rear heater pipe and now need to reshape front welder.gif
carr914

Hey Mark,

I bought my 914 when I was living inChicago from a guy called Jay Mikesell from Prterks, do you know him? I am also trying to find a guy called George Hildinger who used to workon914's do you know of him?

Roman

QUOTE(veltror @ Aug 22 2008, 02:30 PM) *

Some progress, smash.gif bodyman decided to drill out the spot welds and do it that way, now I am scared. Need some advice, since it is going to have a lot of work doen it will never be a resto, so do I go out all the way and go five stud, chrome bumpers and flares and five stud or leave it stock . I would like to leave it yellow but maybe Porsche Speed Yellow Ideas?? confused24.gif

My Original Six #673 was also from Illinois, They must use a special Salt on the roads there that goes through 914s like butter.

The way I looked at my car, I rescued it from a certain distruction, so I can do with what I want, Concour Weinies be damned. I put flares on, it's getting a 2.8 Twin-Plug, Dr Evil converted side-shifter, RennShift, etc.

So do what you want. Flares. 5-lug, Speed Yellow, 6 motor down the road.

Keep up the good fight.

T.C.
veltror
Big update, lots of work done over Xmas. cut out the outer suspension console. Fabricated the inner long, fixed the hell hole, rebuilt the door pillar, fabricated a mount for the suspension console so it goes back int he right place. Cut out the battery tray.

Most of you guys would not bother, but not many here in the Uk so it has to be done. welder.gif

veltror
and some more

jc914
Great job, you just keep up the good work. We can all learn from you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.