Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo drive Housing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Been having some serious leaks around the speedo angle drive. Removed it and the housing it fits into from the side of the transaxle to replace the seals. The big O ring around the outside of the housing looks like it will come off and back on with little trouble. How does the inner seal (the speedo drive shaft with the gear on the end goes thru it) come out?????? I thought this would be a simple rubber seal that would just pry out with a screwdriver. No way. Turns out the rubber part (now all cut up) surrounds a steel washer core and this seal looks like it is pressed into the housing. So how do you "unpress" it out? I didnt want to keep prying on it cause I thought it would mess up the inner threads in the housing that the angle drive screws into. Should have just let it leak!!!!
All help and suggestions are appreciated. Thx.
LowGT
I have this same problem, but haven't poked around yet to figure out why it was leaking. At least now I know to not to mess with the seal.

If you find the solution, please post your findings. I'll be doing the same repair soon.
SirAndy
QUOTE(EJP914 @ May 27 2008, 05:50 PM) *

All help and suggestions are appreciated. Thx.

there's a thread here somewhere about how to replace that seal, with pics and all. might be in the classics ...

shades.gif Andy

PS: i've done this on my car, but i can't remember how i removed the old seal. i don't recall it being difficult ...
EJP914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 27 2008, 08:55 PM) *

Andy: Thanks for the info. No one mentioned there was anything magical about removing the inner seal. May try to grab it with a springhook or something like that. Thx again.
SirAndy
QUOTE(EJP914 @ May 27 2008, 08:15 PM) *

No one mentioned there was anything magical about removing the inner seal. May try to grab it with a springhook or something like that. Thx again.

if i recall correct, there's a ring washer holding the seal down and you kinda hook behind the washer and wiggle it out. the seal should fall out with the washer removed ...

idea.gif Andy
kconway
After you pull the aluminum "crush" washer, you'll have to dig out the seal. At least in mine, in the photos in the referenced threads; nothing actually "fell" out. I had to dig that seal out as well. Its a snug fit and it came out in pieces not whole.
McMark
but i can't remember how i removed the old seal

"Hey Mark, get this out..."
happy11.gif
EJP914
QUOTE(McMark @ May 28 2008, 01:22 AM) *

but i can't remember how i removed the old seal

"Hey Mark, get this out..."
happy11.gif

My thanks to all for the replies and help. After some digging into the seal below the washer with a small pick, I got enough space to put the end of a bent coat hanger into the dug out seal, pulled hard and the seal came out. It sure didn't just "fall out". My thanks again. You guys are great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.