Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Morphenspectra Subwoofer Box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Allan
I just got my new subwoofer enclosure from James, but have a question.

Who has one, and how did you secure it in the footwell?

Btw, I highly recommend it if you're wanting bigger sounds in the car... smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jun 3 2008, 10:10 AM) *

I just got my new subwoofer enclosure from James, but have a question.

Who has one, and how did you secure it in the footwell?

Btw, I highly recommend it if you're wanting bigger sounds in the car... smile.gif

Allan,

I just put mine in last weekend. I put it over the carpet and back carpet. Then I just pushed firmly with my feet to seat it. It kind of popped in to place where the foam block came from. If your car is a '75 or later you have to remove the mileage counter from the emission system which is housed back behind the foam and drill out the rivets for its mount. (thanks Mark). It is in there quite tightly and shouldn't come loose.
dw914er
put up some pictures when you finish. I am interested in the same product, and would love to see a complete example.

Thanks
JWest
Mine just stays in place with the carpet in front of it.
messix
mine went in and the carpet goes over it. stays put just fine [do you see me A/X? driving.gif ] it's not gonna go any where.
So.Cal.914
If your nervous put a small bead of silicone top and bottom where it contacts the tub. It won't move and can still be removed with a little effort.
messix
don't forget to use your gloves!! happy11.gif
Allan
I think I may try some industrial velcro. I just don't want it moving around or vibrating.

slap.gif Troy. rolleyes.gif
morph
Velcro
tell me how ya like it (the sound that is ) smile.gif
james
messix
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jun 3 2008, 04:26 PM) *

I think I may try some industrial velcro. I just don't want it moving around or vibrating.

slap.gif Troy. rolleyes.gif

you don't need no stinkin' velcro!!!!!!!!

morph makes good chit! it fits real tight... it ain't gonna go any where!

and you really should use your gloves when you install that sub.... it's like what? a 1,000 watts right? av-943.gif happy11.gif stirthepot.gif

sorry Alan yer never gonna live down the "gloves"!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(morph @ Jun 3 2008, 06:01 PM) *

Velcro
tell me how ya like it (the sound that is ) smile.gif
james

Actually, I was amazed at how good it sounds and I have not even installed the tweeters which are going on the panel behind the front windshield (have to take it out to do the install). Since I asked about 10 times and no one ever showed a pic of the install, I will get up and go get my camera and take one for you guys. As I said, I thought it looked much better with the carpet under and behind it. I don't want to take a chance that my passenger braces his or her foot on that subwoofer...

It is very snug. It doesn't need Velcro but that is not a bad idea for the overkill crowd.

Sorry about the wires hanging down. Install isn't totally complete...
Dr Evil
Are there grills available for the woofer? I will likely get one for my next car, but not without a grill as it will be punched in in no time. sad.gif
Allan
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 3 2008, 07:25 PM) *

Are there grills available for the woofer? I will likely get one for my next car, but not without a grill as it will be punched in in no time. sad.gif

You can get a wide assortment of grills for the woofer. Pretty easy to find.
morph
looks good. this is the new style box.
we attempted to re work the box, for a bigger woofer.
but decided to keep it simple.this is the kit we will start promoting now.
the 8 inch sub is actually a nakamichi. blink.gif
brownaar
James,
What is the carpeted ring shown in the picture?
Aaron

QUOTE(morph @ Jun 3 2008, 11:39 PM) *

ConeDodger
QUOTE(brownaar @ Jun 4 2008, 07:03 AM) *

James,
What is the carpeted ring shown in the picture?
Aaron

QUOTE(morph @ Jun 3 2008, 11:39 PM) *

It spaces the sub so it doesn't contact the back of the box. Perhaps a really low profile sub wouldn't need it. Oh, I'm sorry... I'm not James. biggrin.gif
Allan
So what kind of wattage is needed?

I found an 8" JL Audio 8WO that runs at 75w.

I'd think with such a small space you wouldn't need really big power to sound decent.
Dr Evil
Another quality product from James thumb3d.gif
Allan
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jun 5 2008, 08:21 AM) *

So what kind of wattage is needed?

I found an 8" JL Audio 8WO that runs at 75w.

I'd think with such a small space you wouldn't need really big power to sound decent.

beer3.gif
messix
use an amp that is rated output matches the sub woofers watts/ohms.
914werke
James SOT but I have a sub in Console enclosure. I understand that you made a couple versions of these, in terms of connectors, I mounted a 60W amp for the purpose of driving the Sub/6" coaxials but Im not sure how to wire.
I dont recall gaeting get any wiring instructions.
confused24.gif
morph
you have four wires or two rich
?
East coaster
Why does everyone make these so that the passnger has to put their feet all over the woofer? If you going to make a complete enclosure, why not offset the speaker cone to the middle and keep the passenger foot well clear.

No offense to the folks who've done it this way, just wondering why??
Allan
QUOTE(East coaster @ Jun 7 2008, 05:38 AM) *

Why does everyone make these so that the passnger has to put their feet all over the woofer? If you going to make a complete enclosure, why not offset the speaker cone to the middle and keep the passenger foot well clear.

I would think it would be a matter of protrusion into the floorboard. The placement to the left allows for a deeper speaker due to the shape of the footwell. The farther center you place it, you will either need to extend the enclosure or require a smaller, shallower speaker.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jun 7 2008, 06:33 AM) *

QUOTE(East coaster @ Jun 7 2008, 05:38 AM) *

I would think it would be a matter of protrusion into the floorboard. The placement to the left allows for a deeper speaker due to the shape of the footwell. The farther center you place it, you will either need to extend the enclosure or require a smaller, shallower speaker.

Exactly... I really had a hard time visualizing how this went and why it was shaped the way it was until I actually pulled the trigger and got it. It replaces a foam fill part that Porsche put in there and the only place for the woofer is offset left. This is very innovative and James is to be commended not criticized.

FWIW, this is a car I use for fun and when I do it seems like a very small thing to ask my passenger NOT to get their feet all over the woofer. It comes naturally to most. "Oh look a speaker, I better not put my foot there"...
effutuo101
I have heard of a new "flat" sub woofer. Anybody using them?
Gint
He was just asking why Robby. He wasn't criticizing James. I've wondered the same thing but I also assumed the same answer that's been given here.

Apparently you've never met my fifteen year old kid. Great kid, but he doesn't pay attention to squat. He'd put his foot through a sub on the floor before I could even take a breath to remind him not to.

I might buy one myself here someday, but if I do I'll be putting a sturdy ass grill in front of it.
pete-stevers
i asked james to recess my opening for a grill...i love the bass....
when it is driving
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 7 2008, 01:52 PM) *

He was just asking why Robby. He wasn't criticizing James. I've wondered the same thing but I also assumed the same answer that's been given here.

Apparently you've never met my fifteen year old kid. Great kid, but he doesn't pay attention to squat. He'd put his foot through a sub on the floor before I could even take a breath to remind him not to.

I might buy one myself here someday, but if I do I'll be putting a sturdy ass grill in front of it.

Oooops... Sorry, I am an academic and we use the word criticize in a good way. In fact teaching critical thinking is a major push in education now... I hope I didn't offend the poster... You are correct, James cannot make a better product if no one criticizes it. But, it cannot be moved to center because there isn't enough room behind it.

I have a 10 year old with the same problems. He cannot remember anything two days in a row yet he gets straight A's at school. "Nicho put the top on the toothpaste when you get done" "Ok... Sorry Dad". Next day, same conversation. I think this proves that we live our lives in cycles. Juvenile CRS and presenile CRS. That's Can't Remember Shit for you guys with CRS biggrin.gif
messix
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jun 7 2008, 01:18 PM) *

smallest i've seen is a 10". too big from the box morph makes, not enough cubic inches.
East coaster
Maybe I didn't explain it well. This was what I meant:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I absolutely do not mean to knock the enclosures that Morph sells and I have no interest in selling these.
GringoLoco
QUOTE(morph @ Jun 4 2008, 12:39 AM) *

What is the mounting depth and overall enclosure volume for that box? What kind/size material did you use (MDF?). I'm trying to figure out if I can stuff a JL Audio 8W3 in there, or if I'd be limited to weaker ones like the W1. If for some reason an 8W6 would work in there I'd be REALLY happy. Any chance it could be built to accomodate a 10", or is there just too many space problems?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(messix @ Jun 7 2008, 10:29 PM) *

smallest i've seen is a 10". too big from the box morph makes, not enough cubic inches.

Make a taller and larger dia. ring spacer. Port the encloser to reliever preasure

and get movement on coil.
Click to view attachment
RJMII
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jun 10 2008, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Jun 7 2008, 10:29 PM) *

Make a taller and larger dia. ring spacer. Port the encloser to reliever preasure

Ported enclosures actually have more turbulence/pressure in them. They also require a lot more volume than their sealed counterpart.

The sub off to the left, and James' original designs are actually very good designs. (acoustically speaking)
messix
QUOTE(East coaster @ Jun 10 2008, 04:20 AM) *

Maybe I didn't explain it well. This was what I meant:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I absolutely do not mean to knock the enclosures that Morph sells and I have no interest in selling these.

this one won't work with stock style console
RoadGlue
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jun 10 2008, 07:33 AM) *

Make a taller and larger dia. ring spacer. Port the encloser to reliever preasure and get movement on coil.

This is very bad advice and it's much more complicated than just trying to get the cone to move more. Boxes are tuned to a certain extent, and ported enclosures require very specific volumes and port sizes to match the drivers specifications. Like someone else said, ported boxes are normally much larger in size than sealed enclosures too, so to get the correct size for the woofer you're using you'd eat up way too much space in the 914's foot well.

A small sealed enclosure is less efficient than a ported enclosure, but the other benefits far outweigh the benefits of a louder, peaky ported or bandpass enclosure. A sealed box has a much flatter frequency response curve that sounds much more natural and isn't nearly as picky about the enclosure size in regards to the drivers specs. To get the sealed box louder, just add more power. Really. Oh, and ported enclosures really are only louder at certain frequencies. They're great for rap music if you want to tune the box for 808-like bass drum frequencies. smile.gif

I'm generalizing a bit, as there are very high end audio systems that use ported enclosures. It's even possible to get a rather flat response curve. However, this isn't likely to happen in the passenger foot well of your 914. And you're really going to do nothing but hurt the sound by sticking a random sized port into a sealed box.

My four cents,
RoadGlue
Morph, I want one! I just have a few questions and I'm sorry if these have been answered elsewhere.

1. What's the approximate internal volume of the box in cubic feet?
2. With the spacer ring, what's the deepest sized speaker that I can fit without having the magnet come in contact with the back side of the box?
3. Which Nakamichi woofer are you using, as I'd like to look up its specs.
4. Does the plain jane box come with a speaker wire terminal.

I think that's it.

Thanks!
McMark
4. Does the plain jane box come with a speaker wire terminal.

Rob's didn't.

Pioneer makes a shallow 8" sub that works pretty well. I have one in my squareback project and used two shallow 10" subs in another car.
Click to view attachment
914werke
QUOTE(morph @ Jun 6 2008, 07:41 PM) *

you have four wires or two rich
?

2 (two).
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
scottb
OK, after driving my car for a couple of days and messing with the bass/treble, i want one too!!!! need some boom boom.....

when might you have one in black? i have your black carpet set.....

many thanks,

scott
morph
lots oh questions
the internal volume i have never quite worked out.
but troy (messix)mentioned a volume once. about .4 cubic ft
depth is 5.25 with the spacer
Frequency Response: 25-2.5K Hz
dual coil 2 ohm 2 ohm, i recomend in series to make one 4 ohm speaker
peak 220 nom 100
these Nakamichi where ment to go in a inclosure, so they have no series # on them they where not ment for resale shades.gif
yes you can get terminals from us

ok rich
that is a four channel amp you have there and old school too.i have the 120 watt verson of that amp and the larger one somewhere in my mess.that series of amp is only 15 watts per channel(total of 60 sad.gif ), but at least builders where honest about there power back then .the speaker in your console looks like it has a single coil speaker.you can switch to a bridgeable amp or get a dual coil speaker from me . call me we can get you hooked up with what you need phone.gif 503-551-6191
Scott
we make this to match any carpet we make

our plug and play box,comes with everything you need to run
if you prefer to get your own woofer then you have a choice of a 8 or(if you dare) a 10 inch spacer
and if you want one here is the evil bay link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...585999&rd=1
and if anyone has any questions feel free to call me @503-551-6191
james

RoadGlue
Thanks James!
wilchek
I made my own box about 2 years ago that was almost indentical to the one that is being made here. Check it our here
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ic=47247&hl

I measured the volume with a displacement method and it was perfect for a 8in sub. The 10 needed way too much volume. I bought the JL 8in audio speaker and have way more bass than I need (this fit in my box as I designed it to fit, but may not fit in other check the specs before you buy it). The car interior volume is very small also. It is very clear and has the right sound. If you want to just piss off your neighbors or show off for the ladies go with the 10 but it will not do much as the volume of the box is too small to allow the speaker to move in and out properly. In regards to speaker location, trust me it only works on the left side due to the contour of the body. If you get the JL audio speaker you will need to order the grills on their web site, about 8 dollars if I remember (link to buy the grills) http://store.jlaudio.com/home.php?cat=255. They are strong enough to stand on, really you could stand on top of these things and they will hold it. So get a grill and you should not have a problem with putting your feet thru it. I actually have my floor mats covering the speaker as well. Bass is non-directions unlike trebal and does not need to be in your face or even be seen. The sound waves go in all directions and will reach your ear, even if the speaker in hidden. I love the sound and would totally recommend this set up.
GringoLoco
QUOTE(wilchek @ Jun 10 2008, 10:16 PM) *

I made my own box about 2 years ago that was almost indentical to the one that is being made here. Check it our here
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ic=47247&hl

I measured the volume with a displacement method and it was perfect for a 8in sub. The 10 needed way too much volume. I bought the JL 8in audio speaker and have way more bass than I need (this fit in my box as I designed it to fit, but may not fit in other check the specs before you buy it). The car interior volume is very small also. It is very clear and has the right sound. If you want to just piss off your neighbors or show off for the ladies go with the 10 but it will not do much as the volume of the box is too small to allow the speaker to move in and out properly. In regards to speaker location, trust me it only works on the left side due to the contour of the body. If you get the JL audio speaker you will need to order the grills on their web site, about 8 dollars if I remember (link to buy the grills) http://store.jlaudio.com/home.php?cat=255. They are strong enough to stand on, really you could stand on top of these things and they will hold it. So get a grill and you should not have a problem with putting your feet thru it. I actually have my floor mats covering the speaker as well. Bass is non-directions unlike trebal and does not need to be in your face or even be seen. The sound waves go in all directions and will reach your ear, even if the speaker in hidden. I love the sound and would totally recommend this set up.

What kind of JL Audio sub is that? W1? W3? I went to the JL Audio website and the specs for an 8W3 work with the dimensions Morph posted up above (0.30 ft2 volume and 4.63" mounting depth). I had a pair of 12W3v2's in my last car in a sealed box. Was very impressed with the sound quality and clarity, I'd like to stick with W3's if possible.
RoadGlue
The 8W1v2-4 looks like it's a perfect match for the box, though it's not part of the W3 series that you're looking for:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Ite...ofer&tp=111

# 8" 4-ohm subwoofer
# metallic-finish polypropylene cone with nitrile-butylene rubber surround
# power range: 35-150 watts RMS
# peak power handling: 300 watts
# frequency response: 28-250 Hz
# sensitivity: 83.86 dB
# top-mount depth: 3-13/16"
# sealed box volume: 0.375 cubic feet
GringoLoco
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jun 11 2008, 12:21 AM) *

The 8W1v2-4 looks like it's a perfect match for the box, though it's not part of the W3 series that you're looking for:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Ite...ofer&tp=111

# 8" 4-ohm subwoofer
# metallic-finish polypropylene cone with nitrile-butylene rubber surround
# power range: 35-150 watts RMS
# peak power handling: 300 watts
# frequency response: 28-250 Hz
# sensitivity: 83.86 dB
# top-mount depth: 3-13/16"
# sealed box volume: 0.375 cubic feet

No thanks, I'm sticking with dual voice coils. If I can't get a W3 to work, I'll look at other brands that have an 8" DVC speaker that will. But the more I look at the spec sheet and enclosure requirements on the JL Audio site, the more I'm pretty sure an 8W3 will work. It has the proper mounting depth, volume requirements, etc. The only thing that might not work is if the MDF used isn't thick enough (if the box was designed for a 50watt SVC speaker, there wouldn't be any point in using beefy MDF). That wouldn't be a design problem though, just special order the box with thicker wood. The 8W3v3 only needs 0.30 cubic ft of volume while the 8w1 needs 0.375... weird. The 8w3v3 does need more mounting depth, but still less than the specs Morph posted. Should be good.
RoadGlue
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to stick with dual voice coils? Where do you think the big advantage is there for this application? I'm not saying the W1 is better than the W3, but do the differences in design justify the differences in price and power requirements?

Also, the box is fiberglass, not mdf.

GringoLoco
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jun 11 2008, 12:43 AM) *

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to stick with dual voice coils? Where do you think the big advantage is there for this application? I'm not saying the W1 is better than the W3, but do the differences in design justify the differences in price and power requirements?

Also, the box is fiberglass, not mdf.

I just want more sound. I don't want to go through the expense and work just to get a little low end fill, might as well go big and get some bass out of it (I tend to get used to things quickly and then go overboard, lol). I'm used to 2 12" W3's, I just don't think I'd be satisfied with an 8" W1. Of course, I had my W3's in the trunk of a mid-sized car, and not right next to my feet, so that's going to make a difference that I should account for. I should probably go somewhere and actually HEAR a W1, but I'm just not that optimistic about them. The other thing about DVC subs is you have more options (bridge amp down to 2 ohms, for instance). As for price, 8W3's really aren't that expensive. I'd happily pay a few bucks more for better sound. The W1's probably sound nice, but I'd rather run my system at 30% of its capability than 80% of its capability. An overbuilt system turned down sounds better than a lower powered system turned up.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jun 10 2008, 10:32 AM) *

Ported enclosures actually have more turbulence/pressure in them. They also require a lot more volume than their sealed counterpart.

The sub off to the left, and James' original designs are actually very good designs. (acoustically speaking)

Thats interesting, I have travel plugs for my Altec 'Voice of the Theater's'. If I forget to take them out of the ports the sound is muffled and reduced until the plugs blow out of the enclosure.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to this info would you?
Allan
This is the combo I was thinking of:

JL Audio 8W0 Sub
and a JL Audio A1200 amp

I can get everything I need to install for under $250.00

Any thoughts?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.