Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are 914's Being Recognized Now?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914Sixer
I was moving along Interstate 10 with a 914 from East Texas, when a new 911 Carrera came along side slowly, checked out the 914 and gave a thumbs up. I thought it was kind of cool he even knew what it was. biggrin.gif
SGB
It is kinda fun to get the nod from someone driving a car that is worth ten times mine's value.
So.Cal.914
Neuvo Riche, he'll get over it. biggrin.gif
ericread
Maybe he thought you were "Hot"? rolleyes.gif Are you now his very special friend? biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
Not that I get approached all that often in the 914, but 99 out of 100 people don't even know what it is. This person in the newer 911 was probably that 1 of a 100. wink.gif
jim_hoyland
Interestingly, I have recently noticed the same thing, and I've been driving mine since 1982. I even had a guy driving a Ferrari in Newport Beach do the same. smile.gif

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 5 2008, 05:52 AM) *

I was moving along Interstate 10 with a 914 from East Texas, when a new 911 Carrera came along side slowly, checked out the 914 and gave a thumbs up. I thought it was kind of cool he even knew what it was. biggrin.gif

AvalonFal
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 5 2008, 08:52 AM) *

Are you sure it was his "thumb"???

Paul
tdgray
He was just checking the wind direction for his next shot to the green.
purple
I've been waved at by a guy in a 993 cab on westpark tollway in houston. he seemed pretty stoked to see it.

Are you sure it didnt look like this?

buck toenges
I have been waving to caymens, boxters and even an old 944 while in my old '95 993 cab lately. They just ignore me. I have to double check to see if I have been driving my 914. So.... a '95 933 is now the new 914. NRP - No respect porsche
ericread
It all comes down to who's (whom's?) driving the other Porsche. There are a lot of Porsches down her in Orange County (SoCal), and it appears to me the older folks that know what they're driving tend to wave. For example I was driving in Irvine the other day when a brand new Cayman passed me going the opposite way. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed that it was being driven by an older gentleman, and as he passed, I saw something... My passenger told me that he had rolled down his window to wave at us, smoething I would have never expected!

Now the younger drivers with their pneumatic trophy wives don't seem to even see me. But I wouldn't expect most of these guys even know what they're driving... (the car or the girl).

It doesn't really bother me because for the people that appear to be so status-ridden that they have no time for me, I wouldn't really want to waste my time with them. We wouldn't have a lot in common...

As for the other drivers (of both normal and exotic cars), they may not wave all the time, but they sure stretch their necks taking a look. (Maybe it is my incredibly handsome and manly looks they are looking at... but I doubt it).

Quick story: I was driving east on the 55 the other day and a new Masarati was following right behind me. In pretty heavy traffic, I was driving beside a SUV (with out of state plates) that had a 10-12 year old in the back seat. I thought the kid was going to break his neck trying to get a look at the Masarati! I changed lanes and got beside the Masarati, pointing out the young passenger in the SUV. The Masarati driver waved and pulled up next to the SUV, where the young passenger get his camera and took a number of pics. Now that was pretty cool! aktion035.gif

purple
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 5 2008, 01:15 PM) *

It all comes down to who's (whom's?) driving the other Porsche. There are a lot of Porsches down her in Orange County (SoCal), and it appears to me the older folks that know what they're driving tend to wave. For example I was driving in Irvine the other day when a brand new Cayman passed me going the opposite way. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed that it was being driven by an older gentleman, and as he passed, I saw something... My passenger told me that he had rolled down his window to wave at us, smoething I would have never expected!

Now the younger drivers with their pneumatic trophy wives don't seem to even see me. But I wouldn't expect most of these guys even know what they're driving... (the car or the girl).

It doesn't really bother me because for the people that appear to be so status-ridden that they have no time for me, I wouldn't really want to waste my time with them. We wouldn't have a lot in common...

As for the other drivers (of both normal and exotic cars), they may not wave all the time, but they sure stretch their necks taking a look. (Maybe it is my incredibly handsome and manly looks they are looking at... but I doubt it).

Quick story: I was driving east on the 55 the other day and a new Masarati was following right behind me. In pretty heavy traffic, I was driving beside a SUV (with out of state plates) that had a 10-12 year old in the back seat. I thought the kid was going to break his neck trying to get a look at the Masarati! I changed lanes and got beside the Masarati, pointing out the young passenger in the SUV. The Masarati driver waved and pulled up next to the SUV, where the young passenger get his camera and took a number of pics. Now that was pretty cool! aktion035.gif

You sir, have thumbed the pages of Aldous Huxley...

At least we are consuming transport, us lowly deltas... have you had your soma today?
brer
Paradise Lost- NO! Brave New World. HA!

wink.gif
purple
QUOTE(brer @ Jun 5 2008, 01:45 PM) *

Paradise Lost- NO! Brave New World. HA!

wink.gif

Win. And praise Ford to you!
helios
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Jun 5 2008, 10:40 AM) *

I have been waving to caymens, boxters and even an old 944 while in my old '95 993 cab lately. They just ignore me. I have to double check to see if I have been driving my 914. So.... a '95 933 is now the new 914. NRP - No respect porsche

The driver of the 944 was probably stunned. I know I was when I got a wave from a NICE black 993 while in my old 944. Not the ones you typically get kudos from while driving the "bastard" (i use the term affectionately) Porsches. laugh.gif
ericread
QUOTE(purple @ Jun 5 2008, 11:44 AM) *

At least we are consuming transport, us lowly deltas... have you had your soma today?

WOW, that's some pretty heady shit form a guy with a "Fish Assholes" avatar! av-943.gif

"...thumbed the pages of Aldus Huxley..." Isn't that the guy who sold Pagemaker to Adbobe? Yeah, I'm feelin smarterer now...

aktion035.gif

blitZ
I give the flash when I see Porsche coming the other way. i think 5% respond, the rest probably think I'm warning them about a speed trap. Bring back the flash.
ericread
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 5 2008, 12:29 PM) *

QUOTE(purple @ Jun 5 2008, 11:44 AM) *

WOW, that's some pretty heady shit form a guy with a "Fish Assholes" avatar! av-943.gif

"...thumbed the pages of Aldus Huxley..." Isn't that the guy who sold Pagemaker to Adbobe? Yeah, I'm feelin smarterer now...

aktion035.gif

Dang, it's been a long time since I've read Huxley - probably back to my college days (early 70's!!!).

At least I can say that I'm proud to live in the Brave New World... Or am I ? confused24.gif

You sir should change your avatar to read "Intelligent, educated and well read man, with Fish Assholes" laugh.gif
purple
not just any kind of fish assholes, GERMAN STYLE Fish Assholes. LOL

I'm shocked when I read something written in the 30's that so damned accurate about today...
Betty
QUOTE(blitZ @ Jun 5 2008, 02:47 PM) *

I give the flash when I see Porsche coming the other way. i think 5% respond, the rest probably think I'm warning them about a speed trap. Bring back the flash.

Umm... what kind of "flash" are we talking about here?
Joe Bob
Show us yer BOOBS Betty!!!!

dw914er
It always depends on the other driver. If they know porsches (not just how much they cost) they will respond. These are the people who give me thumbs ups, but i have been stuck in traffic before and seen younger kids (high school/college aged) say nice porsche
(one has said nice ferarri though)
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 5 2008, 04:52 AM) *

agree.gif he probably thought you were cute ... gayfight.gif

biggrin.gif Andy
MartyYeoman
I got a thumbs up today from a guy in an old Jetta.
Does that count?
purple
Andy jacked my emoticon!
KELTY360
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Jun 5 2008, 01:42 PM) *

I got a thumbs up today from a guy in an old Jetta.
Does that count?

Thumbs up your what?
ive gotten thumbs from ppl in newer porsches, on nice crotch rockets, and the ricer boys always wanna piece of my car.i even got a double thumbs up from a middle aged woman in a toyota tercel. beat that! jk but i did have a guy in a caymen completely ignore my thumbs up when i was right next to him. he definetly knew i liked his car. but i think he was insane becuase he was going like 25 in traffic that was doing 55 everyone was swerving out around him after the light. almost cause some accidents.
Eric_Shea
I got a thumbs up from a guy wearing leather bike shorts at the gym. blink.gif
Betty
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Jun 5 2008, 03:06 PM) *

Well.... okay, since you asked so nice! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
SGB
OOOOH-
the blue kind are soo hot!!!
dw914er
on a similar note, i do have alot of interest in the classic car community of yucaipa/redlands. I think they have gotten to know me and my car so they always wave when they see me. It could be becasue im one of the only 914s to go to the cars shows, or maybe becasue im one of the only kids to know about all the cars there, or that i fixed up my car.
PeeGreen 914
Up here it is fun because there are ALL kinds. My car was being checked out on I-5 by a guy driving a Ferrari Modena. You get waves from many of the Porsche people... unless they are in a Boxter. Many of the sports car people will wave unless they are Microsoft people. Some are cool but many are just people who got the sportscar they always wanted but don't know how to appreciate it.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Betty @ Jun 5 2008, 08:31 PM) *

QUOTE((*)(*) @ Jun 5 2008, 03:06 PM) *

Well.... okay, since you asked so nice! biggrin.gif

Thank you Betty!!!!

Here's a BLUE Tit....not to be confused with a GREAT TIT!

IPB Image
championgt1
Believe it or not I get more thumbs up, nods and waves from hot rod/ classic car guys. I think they understand what it takes to keep a older car looking nice and on the road.

I did have a lady once at a stop light ask me where I bought my car. She said her and her husband bought a 914 new in 74 and it was the same color as mine. She told me she sold her car 10 years ago and they regret selling it every day. She then asked if my car was for sale and to name my price. I told her the car was not for sale and she said I don't blame you at all. Never sell it.

Pretty cool!
jfort
I've had newer Porsche owners who heard my car come up and say how good it sounds. For sound, old is better than new.
Gint
I left work today around 1:00. Sitting at a light I got a "that's beautiful" from a couple in a Toy truck with Maryland plates.
I was driving back into town on Mulholland after meeting a fellow teener driver at the VCR Calabasas thing last Sunday. I got a very big wave from a guy in a old 912. As I got into Agoura I was sitting at the light watching this stunning silver old 50's rare Ferrari driving the opposite direction. As he passed me, he and I nodded to each other. I swear it was Ralph Lauren with those funky sunglasses he wears. Even someone who can afford a million plus Ferrari and probably alot of other toys can appreciate another cool car, even if it's worth the price of his steering wheel. driving.gif or... he was ducking from a bug. av-943.gif

As for these 911 guys, I passed three on the way home from work today. 930,993 and a 997. Not one waved back. bs.gif Other than the fact that you never know what else someone may have in there garage, it's a family thing. It's like you passed your dad on the road, and he see's you and blows you off.
ericread
Another black 914 in Irvine passed me going the other way. I waved bye1.gif Nothing. Maybe the not waving back thing isn't exclusive to 911s?

dw914er
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 6 2008, 07:48 PM) *

Another black 914 in Irvine passed me going the other way. I waved bye1.gif Nothing. Maybe the not waving back thing isn't exclusive to 911s?

were you in a 914?

he probably didnt expect anyone to wave at him
ericread
QUOTE(dw914er @ Jun 6 2008, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 6 2008, 07:48 PM) *

were you in a 914?

he probably didnt expect anyone to wave at him

YES, I was in my 914... driving.gif That's what I drive chair.gif

biggrin.gif
dw914er
whoa? Whats up with that driver. if i see a 914 while driving, its rare. So you bet your ass that ill either wave, or try to catch up to it if i am behind it. Thats how i ended up meeting some of the inland empire 914s. I saw the cars, and was like "HEY a 914! Very nice, I have one too" or something like that
ericread
QUOTE(dw914er @ Jun 6 2008, 08:52 PM) *

whoa? Whats up with that driver. if i see a 914 while driving, its rare. So you bet your ass that ill either wave, or try to catch up to it if i am behind it. Thats how i ended up meeting some of the inland empire 914s. I saw the cars, and was like "HEY a 914! Very nice, I have one too" or something like that

So you're the stalker that keeps following me? biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Not gonna make it sorry....gotta deal with the Whine and Cheese assholes at the PCA breakfast. I need to promote the August 10th AX, since none of youse assbites have signed up.....I have ten taildraggers paid, with 40 more slots open.

It's a non zone event so, any car can run......hell, bring your hair dresser's Miata....
ntrylvl
When I'm in the 914:

1) Other 914 drivers always wave or give a thumbs-up.
2) Most people in older Porsches (any model) wave or flash.
3) Most people in newer Porsches don't even look my way.

When I'm in the C4S, only people in newer Porsches tend to wave or flash. Maybe teener owners see the C4S and think I'm one of the snobby new Porsche owner types??

I haven't had the 3.2 long enough to get a feel for who is and is not friendly, but the first Porsche I saw on the drive home after buying the 3.2 was a Boxster, and the driver gave me a big thumbs up as I passed by.

Chris

Grngoat
Odd, but I almost always get some sort of attention when I am in the 914. I drove it to work today. While going out to lunch some kid in the passenger seat of an SUV was going crazy trying to keep me in sight. My friend riding to lunch with me was much amused. "It happens all the time", I told him. Driving home, I had some guy in a Toyota or somesuch give me a thumbs up on the highway.

I don't worry too much about the newer Porsche drivers. Don't need their approval. I'd much rather have the little kids admiration. My nephews love my car, always want a ride in it.
GringoLoco
Currently I ride a Harley or drive a Jeep Wrangler (TJ). So on my bike I gotta wave to other bikes, and in my Jeep I gotta wave to other Jeeps. In the summer I take the top and doors off my Jeep and end up getting confused and wave to bikes and forget to wave to Jeeps. Then I'll get my bike and go the other way, start waving to Jeeps and miss the bikes, lol. This is really gonna get confusing when I get a 914.

It's funny about the whole "911's won't wave to me" thing. There's something like that going on everywhere. Harley riders bitch that sportbikes don't wave to them, or Sportster riders bitch that big twin riders don't wave to them. Jeep owners (2006 and earlier Wranglers and CJ's) bitch that JK (2007+ Wranglers) owners don't wave because they're all soccer moms, or they'll bitch that CJ owners think they're too good to wave to TJ/YJ owners... it's hilarious going to other forums and seeing the same old shit on every forum. I don't know a damn thing about Corvettes other than they wave, but I guarantee if I start hanging out on a Vette forum I'll find out that C1-C4 owners are pissed because C5 owners think they're too good to wave.
Root_Werks
Michelle and I went for a drive around the lake yesterday. Spoted a black 308 and the guy couldn't take his eyes off the 914. I thought to myself this guy might actually know what I am driving. wink.gif
helios
Had the coolest acknowledgement last night as I was leaving the grocery store last night. As I was pulling out of the parking lot, a kid (6-7yo) with his mom were walking out of the store. The kid actually quit walking and just stared. I gave him a little wave as I drove past bye1.gif , and he waved back (a bit sheepishly). As I'm pulling away I glanced back in the rear view, he's walking away holding his mom's hand...with his head spun backwards on his shoulders. He just could not take his eyes off of it (and my car isn't that pretty rolleyes.gif ). I'm thinking a possible future teener?
PeeGreen 914
I was driving to do an open house and I decided to takes my 914. As I am puting out my signs a guy drived up in a E55 AMG and asks if it is a six. I told him yes and he offers me 20k for it right there. I kinda had a hard time saying sorry. It's worth much more than that to me biggrin.gif
scottb
i was given a thumbs up from a black cayman the other day. pretty cool.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.