Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I give up! Too many messed up people with 914s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dr Evil
So I was sent a listing for a 73 that looked to be in good shape and was being sold for $2500 about 1.5hrs north of me in Hellertown, PA. I contacted the guy and arranged to look at/purchase it this AM. He said to call him this AM before I left to make sure he was there. He didnt answer at 10am when I called, so I waited. He wanted to do this before 12, but I didnt want to startup there before I heard from him (I did that before and was burned when the guy sold the car before I got there). I get a hold of him at 11 and arrange to come up. I tell him I have money with me and I am hitting the road at that time.

I get to within 20min of this guys house and he calls me to tell me he just sold it. He said that that is the way the car biz is. I was pissed as that was 2+ hrs and $30 in gas I cant get back mad.gif WTF is wrong with people!? A mans word is nothing to some, apparently. The guy selling the car was Bill Komoroski who happens to be one of the folks who throws the Deutchclassic near Hellertown every year. Screw that. I will never go there. If this is the kind of folks that this attracts, I would rather not be associated.

I am soooo freaking pissed off at the moment I cant sit still. This is not the first time I have been dealt with this way. I am pretty freaking fed up with looking for a car in the rust belt. Nothing like wasting time for lower quality junk and difficult people.
i love porsche
wow..that really sucks, i hate it when people are like that, im sorry man
Rusty
WTF is wrong with people!? A mans word is nothing to some, apparently.

I saw Komoroski's email on Deed's 914 list... didn't realize that you got punked on the deal till I saw this post after.

Sorry to hear what happened - I can relate. When dealing with someone I don't know... I try not to expect too much anymore.

I'm still watching for a car for you, I'm sure others are too. Saw one the other day, ended up being a real rusted-out turd. dry.gif

Hang in there... the right car will come along. smile.gif
rhodyguy
what is deed's 914 list? start looking westward mike.
Rusty
The Yahoo 914 group run by Dennis Deeds & the "Owners Association".
stepuptotheMike
That is pretty shitty. Should have held it at least for you to get there and look at it. Just mark it in your book of people not to deal with.

-Mike
Spoke
That sucks.

Can't trust anyone these days it seems. Same thing happened to me last year looking for a car for my kid. Found an A4 in Philly on AutoTrader, called the guy and said I would be down to look at it. He said no one has looked at it and I asked him to please let me have first dibs today as I am driving over an hour to get there. He said ok.

So I take off for Philly an hour later, get there a little over 2 hours after talking to him and told the guy (who owned a tire shop) I'd like to look at the car. He calmly answers that he just sold it to a guy who walked in about 1/2 hour ago. Sorry. WTF?

I feel for you Evil. Anyways I wouldn't trust any car here in the NE unless it has roots in the left coast or southwest.

Spoke
So.Cal.914

The guy selling the car was Bill Komoroski who happens to be one of the folks who throws the Deutchclassic near Hellertown every year. Screw that. I will never go there.

Just wanted to make sure I got that name right.
Rusty
Wm. L. Komoroski
ServiceMaster Cleaning & Restoration
Springtown, PA.
(800) 962-1102
www.Master-Disaster.com
r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 7 2008, 02:40 PM) *

So I was sent a listing for a 73 that looked to be in good shape and was being sold for $2500 about 1.5hrs north of me in Hellertown, PA. I contacted the guy and arranged to look at/purchase it this AM. He said to call him this AM before I left to make sure he was there. He didnt answer at 10am when I called, so I waited. He wanted to do this before 12, but I didnt want to startup there before I heard from him (I did that before and was burned when the guy sold the car before I got there). I get a hold of him at 11 and arrange to come up. I tell him I have money with me and I am hitting the road at that time.

I get to within 20min of this guys house and he calls me to tell me he just sold it. He said that that is the way the car biz is. I was pissed as that was 2+ hrs and $30 in gas I cant get back mad.gif WTF is wrong with people!? A mans word is nothing to some, apparently. The guy selling the car was Bill Komoroski who happens to be one of the folks who throws the Deutchclassic near Hellertown every year. Screw that. I will never go there. If this is the kind of folks that this attracts, I would rather not be associated.

I am soooo freaking pissed off at the moment I cant sit still. This is not the first time I have been dealt with this way. I am pretty freaking fed up with looking for a car in the rust belt. Nothing like wasting time for lower quality junk and difficult people.

I think that in your target price range you should honestly stop looking at ANY cars on this coast...they will all be projects.

Buy a tub in CA, a roller should be 200-1k.
Shipping is 600-1k
For less than 2k you are all set to go to work on a tub.

Think about buying a car out here that you will end up having to spend time stripping anyways....just buy a stripped tub and move on with the project.

There might be 1k of stuff you can sell, but it will take a year to sell it.

I vote you stop looking at drivers and buy a roller and ship it...we ship rollers all the time, I have a few shippers that have no problem with rollers.

Get a good solid tub that is ready for body work and start stripping your old car.

If you get a car from southern CA...you might be able to work a deal and get it painted accross the boarder before it gets shipped...save a few bucks that way...

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Rusty @ Jun 7 2008, 01:24 PM) *

Wm. L. Komoroski
ServiceMaster Cleaning & Restoration
Springtown, PA.
(800) 962-1102
www.Master-Disaster.com

Ya been baited by the master .................... The Cap'n
wilchek
That sucks he could of at least been up front and told you someone else was coming to check it out and give you a call after the other guy did not want it. I hate when people do this, no one has any integrity anymore. I bought my motorcycle last year just because the guy had integrity and held if for me as I was the first to call and told me he would give me first shot. Don't let it get you down if the guys treats business like that who knows what he did to cut corners on the car.

On a side note I spoke to the guy with the car on the Samba. I was trying to get out to see it today but the baby had other plans. He said he would not be around tomorrow. He is about 30 minutes west from me so he may be closer to you than you realize. He is about 5 miles from the Reading exit off the turnpike. Let me know if you want me to try and set up something this week.
JackB
I once spent $1000 in expenses going to look at a car after the seller and I had agreed on price, subject to my inspection. When I got there he told me that the price was too low. I agreed to pay more. When I got home he sent an email saying he decided not to sell. Didn't offer to reimburse any of my expenses.

PS: He's a psychiatrist. Maybe this is how he gets new patients.

Jack
Dr Evil
QUOTE(wilchek @ Jun 7 2008, 04:58 PM) *

That sucks he could of at least been up front and told you someone else was coming to check it out and give you a call after the other guy did not want it. I hate when people do this, no one has any integrity anymore. I bought my motorcycle last year just because the guy had integrity and held if for me as I was the first to call and told me he would give me first shot. Don't let it get you down if the guys treats business like that who knows what he did to cut corners on the car.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/style_images/...mages/email.gif
Insert Email
On a side note I spoke to the guy with the car on the Samba. I was trying to get out to see it today but the baby had other plans. He said he would not be around tomorrow. He is about 30 minutes west from me so he may be closer to you than you realize. He is about 5 miles from the Reading exit off the turnpike. Let me know if you want me to try and set up something this week.

Dan, Dont bother with the bucket. Its likely not worth the effort.

I have my army scouring the west looking for a qualifying tub. I am done with driving even an hour to inspect the ones here. This weekend is my last weekend for a long time where I will have time to look at cars. That was part of the suckage.

Rich, I will be in contact when I eventually find a tub. I expected $2500 to be too good of a deal in this neighborhood. I am betting the car was actually fraught with hidden problems. I could have spent the $30 on something non-Arab, though....like scotch wink.gif

Thanks for the pep talking, fellas. The last 914 I tried to buy ended up in the owner threatening to kick my ass if I didnt leave and 6 hours of a wasted trip. The owner was an obvious coke head and lived in thousand oaks, ca. I guess I am still bitter about that one as well.

Next >>>
URY914
The guy has posted on the Yahoo 914 Group that the car sold. Want me to reply and slam his ass? I'd be happy to. Or I could just copy and paste you first post. biggrin.gif
3d914
Mike,

Hang in there and try not to get too bitter about it. The only antidote we have for people like that are people like you who choose not to be so loose with THEIR WORD.

I occasionally remind my teenage son - If you're not good for your word, what are you good for?

Keep smiling,
Dr Evil
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 7 2008, 05:50 PM) *

The guy has posted on the Yahoo 914 Group that the car sold. Want me to reply and slam his ass? I'd be happy to. Or I could just copy and paste you first post. biggrin.gif

Paul,
If you have an opinion on the subject, and wish to reply to his post, far be it from me to stop you wink.gif
tod914
That sucks Mike. Had that happen several times as well. Cars either being
completely misrepresented or owners backing out on deals after travel arrangements have been made. The right one will come along. Usually
see some reasonably priced ones in the local Auto trader.
SGB
Don't worry!

Damn.

You nearly bought a CERTAIN POS. It would have had hideous problems. FATE says "move on." I believe the car may need to come from Preservationia too.
VaccaRabite
When Mike called me on the way back home, I could feel the fury through the phone. I had to shower afterwards.

Okay, so I had to shower cause the baby spit up on me right before Mike called...

Anyhow, what time am I coming over tomorrow?

Zach
Dr Evil
Here is more evidence that karma, fate, what ever, may have been involved. I was going to leave earlier even though I hadn't heard from him, but my neighbor, who is an older guy, asked me if I could look at his broken AC. His elderly mother is with him this week and it is 94* with 100% humidity. I spent at least 30min troubleshooting his system...too no avail unfortunately. I said I would look at it when I got back. That made me just that much later. Perhaps a good thing.

I just went and saw Kung Fu Panda and feel better smile.gif That movie is worth seeing thumb3d.gif
Allan
Bummer Mike.

Just wait until the guy is wheeled into to your ER... happy11.gif
r_towle
I agree that the 914 world is no longer trusted just by membership here.
Its really sad to say, but true. I have gotten burned a few times on this board recently...it is no longer my chosen venue to sell things...its to anonymous now.

Rich
davep
The way the loser described the car earlier, I think you are better off without it:
"73 - gotta go73 - pretty good shape - right rear swing arm rusted out. Good motor - new bakes - sound carLooking for someone who can get it on the road for me"
Can't spell worth a damn either. This is only one of several messages I have saved.
URY914
Mike this is how I replied to his email.

"Bill, I don't know you but I do know they person who wrote this and I trust his word. The 914 world in pretty small and when you treat someone like shit the word gets around quick."

Than I copied and pasted your first post of this tread to him.

If I get a shitty responds I'll post the same message so all the members can read it.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(davep @ Jun 7 2008, 11:35 PM) *

The way the loser described the car earlier, I think you are better off without it:
"73 - gotta go73 - pretty good shape - right rear swing arm rusted out. Good motor - new bakes - sound carLooking for someone who can get it on the road for me"
Can't spell worth a damn either. This is only one of several messages I have saved.

The guy just reached douchbag status as that is far from what he told me and posted on Craigslist dry.gif Dodged a bullet.

Thanks for sticking up, Paul thumb3d.gif

Dont mess with the 914 family gunner.gif
boxstr
Mike I have the GT flared car coming in on Sunday, but I do have a narrow body car that is w/o motor and trans.
Really good price too.
Email me at camp914@comcast.net or call 503-799-5794.
Craig
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jun 7 2008, 06:25 PM) *

Bummer Mike.

Click to view attachment
Wilhelm
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jun 7 2008, 07:25 PM) *

Bummer Mike.

Mike is in a position where he can't even think about saying anything about "Just wait until the guy is wheeled into to your ER... " If he does and that stuff ever gets back to his school/hospital/admin it generally considered reason for dismissal. I know you're joking, but these super-sphinter-pressure folks have zero sense of humor. Seen it happen in 3 different hospitals I've been at where nurses/docs/etc have been shitcanned after making innocent joking remarks about "what if".
Dr Evil
Email sent, Craig. smile.gif

Yup, I would take care of anyone that came into my ED, no matter what. No BS smile.gif
Allan
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 8 2008, 08:16 AM) *

Yup, I would take care of anyone that came into my ED, no matter what. No BS smile.gif

I know ya would.

But just think of the look on his face and the thoughts that would go through his head when you quietly told him that you were the guy who drove up to buy his car and got screwed... rolleyes.gif
Joe Bob
Just remind him before you administer any drugs, sew sutures, or perform any invasive procedures.....ooooohhhhh, oooohhhh, hunting for that elusive blind, bald gerbil.....
TheCabinetmaker
I found a car locally a couple of years ago that I was gonna buy. Told another 914 guy about it and the asshole steals the deal by offering a 100 bucks more than my aggreed on price. I was so pissed I haven't talked to this guy since. Karma took over when he found the rusted in half long that the seller had hidden with a fiberglass patch.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Jun 8 2008, 12:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Headrage @ Jun 7 2008, 07:25 PM) *

Bummer Mike.

Mike is in a position where he can't even think about saying anything about "Just wait until the guy is wheeled into to your ER... " If he does and that stuff ever gets back to his school/hospital/admin it generally considered reason for dismissal. I know you're joking, but these super-sphinter-pressure folks have zero sense of humor. Seen it happen in 3 different hospitals I've been at where nurses/docs/etc have been shitcanned after making innocent joking remarks about "what if".

It's a good point, and if you did not know Evil it could be a concern...for a minute.

Loose Lip's Sink Ship's smile.gif
Eric_Shea
That's guy's an asshole.
sean_v8_914
MIKE, WAS THAT YOU THAT WENT UP TO HOLLYWOOD TO GET A CAR ONCE...?
jimkelly
while 914 folk are world renouned for not being ALL-THERE - the truth is - there are freaks in every corner of society - thank god they are not the majority.

sorry bout that,

jim
Ian Stott
I am also searching for a decent one that I can drive home, not to hijack but if I read this right should I /we limit the search to the southwestern USA or to cars that have come from there? I live so far from from anyone else that my travel costs could really only be a one time thing that of course gets added on to the price. Not to devalue Dr.Evil's recent experience by any means, I would be extremely pissed and very wary of all for quite some time, I have purchased from him and actually rec'd the parts before he cashed my money order. Some things happen that make us less approachable or ornery and in the lomg term that is unfortunate, send your anger to where it belongs, to the aforementioned shithead and feel free to vent here, it helps I am sure. So, Dr. Evil or anyone else, advice on decent cars to buy and drive home appreciated.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
type11969
Not surprised the guy was a douche, I'm pretty sure the guys that run the deutsche classic made a big deal to get people from the a/c VW club I am a member of to go to their event. We did, and when it came time for our event of the year not a single one of those asshats came out to support it.

It surprises me how some people still don't get how small this "family" is.

-Chris
URY914
No reply from the dipshit to my email...
Nick
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 7 2008, 12:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 7 2008, 02:40 PM) *

I think that in your target price range you should honestly stop looking at ANY cars on this coast...they will all be projects.

Buy a tub in CA, a roller should be 200-1k.
Shipping is 600-1k
For less than 2k you are all set to go to work on a tub.

Think about buying a car out here that you will end up having to spend time stripping anyways....just buy a stripped tub and move on with the project.

There might be 1k of stuff you can sell, but it will take a year to sell it.

I vote you stop looking at drivers and buy a roller and ship it...we ship rollers all the time, I have a few shippers that have no problem with rollers.

Get a good solid tub that is ready for body work and start stripping your old car.

If you get a car from southern CA...you might be able to work a deal and get it painted accross the boarder before it gets shipped...save a few bucks that way...

Rich

I agree. I bought a car from the west cost. Had everything in good condition minus engine and transmission. Car $500. Shipping to east coast $1300. Well worth it as the car did not need major rust repair.

Nick
Ian Stott
Can't help but feel for you, my 16 year old son made a deal with his hard earned money to buy a Toyota 4x4, wife was going to go with him to follow him home as it was three hours away. Getting ready to leave wife said we should call just to make sure he will be home, called and guy said oh yeah, I sold it last night. Never a thought about my son making a three hour trip with his hard earned cash in hand, difficult to not track him down and sort him out, wife says not worth it, son buys different veh. but it left him with a huge mistrust of people's word, maybe not a bad thing in the long run but still it is a shame. Reading my previous post I feel the need to point out I have bought from Dr. Evil, not the shithead, case anyone thought I was defending the shithead. Looking forward to seeing what you finally end up with Doc.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
r_towle
People are people.
I dont normally like selling things online due to the nautre of the beast.

You get people that jump on an ad within a few seconds to claim that they want the item. So you either stop the listing or respond to all future inquiries that the item is sold.

What happens is...the "buyer" either does not pay, stops communicating, vanishes...or basically has little to no backbone to call or write and email. Or they even outright lie about sending funds.
All of this just ties up the sellers item, wastes time, and is BS.

The results, for me anyways, when I am selling a vehicle, the first person who delivers money to me gets the vehicle. I am not a finance company, I am selling the item because I would like to use the money for different reasons.

If you claim to want to buy something, either follow through like a man, or communicate, so that the seller can move on.

Its the high rate of frequency of this crap occuring that makes me sell to the first live buyer....its what this guy did...its just how it works.

Way to many tire kickers in the world...he had a live buyer standing there with cash...and he did not know you from Adam..
Its your issue to call him on the way to make sure its still for sale and still will be when you arrive...

Think about it...its a commodity that is not only getting rare, but its also hard to sell a questionable example....first live buyer gets the car...

Its hard to hear, and I am sorry that you feel stiffed somehow, but the number of wasted hours, upon hours, upon hours...of either waiting for a scheduled appointment to not show up and stiff me, and waiting for payment that never arrives...its all spineless crap that puts a really bad taste in my mouth.

I tell all potential lookers, buyers, tirekickers....I will sell this to the first person who delivers me money...if you arrive before that happens...great. I also suggest to all buyers that they call me prior to coming over. I do not hold a car for anyone...unless I know the person.

Rich
brer
Chasing a dream is never easy.
Good Luck and keep at it!

beerchug.gif
ericread
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 9 2008, 09:03 AM) *

People are people.

You get people that jump on an ad within a few seconds to claim that they want the item. So you either stop the listing or respond to all future inquiries that the item is sold.

What happens is...the "buyer" either does not pay, stops communicating, vanishes...or basically has little to no backbone to call or write and email. Or they even outright lie about sending funds.

The results, for me anyways, when I am selling a vehicle, the first person who delivers money to me gets the vehicle. I am not a finance company, I am selling the item because I would like to use the money for different reasons.

If you claim to want to buy something, either follow through like a man, or communicate, so that the seller can move on.

Its the high rate of frequency of this crap occuring that makes me sell to the first live buyer....its what this guy did...its just how it works.

Way to many tire kickers in the world...he had a live buyer standing there with cash...and he did not know you from Adam..
Its your issue to call him on the way to make sure its still for sale and still will be when you arrive...

Think about it...its a commodity that is not only getting rare, but its also hard to sell a questionable example....first live buyer gets the car...

Its hard to hear, and I am sorry that you feel stiffed somehow, but the number of wasted hours, upon hours, upon hours...of either waiting for a scheduled appointment to not show up and stiff me, and waiting for payment that never arrives...its all spineless crap that puts a really bad taste in my mouth.

I tell all potential lookers, buyers, tirekickers....I will sell this to the first person who delivers me money...if you arrive before that happens...great. I also suggest to all buyers that they call me prior to coming over. I do not hold a car for anyone...unless I know the person.

Rich

agree.gif

I wish I could say that Rich is full of crap (no offense Rich), but what he says really makes sense. I lost two cars that were sold out from under me when I was trying to buy my first 914 about 18 months ago. I probably could have provided a deposit to hold one of them, but I really didn't want to do that on a sight-unseen car and to a person I didn't know. Through sheer luck (fate?) I ended up with a less expensive teener that was far superior to the ones I missed.

If I don't want to pre-pay at least a deposit, then I really can't bitch about a car not being there upon my arrival. Like Rich mentioned, how many times do you hear of someone promising to buy something and never hear from him (her) again?

And yes, there are 914 people who are "messed up". I guess we can fix that by going through someone we know isn't "messed up". Like a Porsche dealership sales person... lol3.gif

PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 9 2008, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 9 2008, 09:03 AM) *

People are people.

Rich

agree.gif

I wish I could say that Rich is full of crap (no offense Rich), but what he says really makes sense. I lost two cars that were sold out from under me when I was trying to buy my first 914 about 18 months ago. I probably could have provided a deposit to hold one of them, but I really didn't want to do that on a sight-unseen car and to a person I didn't know. Through sheer luck (fate?) I ended up with a less expensive teener that was far superior to the ones I missed.

If I don't want to pre-pay at least a deposit, then I really can't bitch about a car not being there upon my arrival. Like Rich mentioned, how many times do you hear of someone promising to buy something and never hear from him (her) again?

And yes, there are 914 people who are "messed up". I guess we can fix that by going through someone we know isn't "messed up". Like a Porsche dealership sales person... lol3.gif

No, I say that is a load of BS. I have given many parts to our 914 family. Sold things for dimes on the dollar on some stuff. When I sell something I communicate well with them to make sure they are going to follow through. If someone else is interested I always give the first person the chance to see or buy. If they are on the way down I would give them every opportunity to buy it first. This is good business and it always comes back to you. People who do not follow through with their word or don't go the extra mile are used car salesmen. They suck ass and they should be curbed as they are the ones that make people not trust others. It's people like this that makes me stay away from the Costa Mesa type that fuched me over ar15.gif as I would never or couldn't ever do that to someone.

Mike, I have heard many great things about Craig. If you get a car from anyone he is a guy I would want to buy from.
EdwardBlume
I got burned the same way about 6 months ago on a 914 I really wanted. The guy couldn't meet me right away but set up a time to meet two days later cash in hand. I asked if there was someone in front of me, which he said "no".

The car got sold the day before he was "available", and the guy shrugged it off like that's what happens when you sell a car.

cheer.gif Hang in there Dr. Evil, you'll find a better deal. cheer.gif
wilchek
There are a lot of tire kickers but I think Mike's issue was that he tried to called the guy ahead of time and he never told Mike that someone was going to look at the car first. Mike is not mad that someone else bought it first he was mad that he pissed his valuable time away driving all the way to see the car. Mike has few days off and he wasted his time and gas. All the guy needed to do was give him a heads up that someone else was coming to check out the car and Mike could have decided if he wanted to roll the dice and go anyway or wait until the other guy bought or just kicked the tires. Common courtesy in my opinion goes a long way.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 9 2008, 12:03 PM) *

People are people.

Rich

Mark Henry
Hey! I wouldn’t have my 914 if it wasn’t for a complete asshole.

Took a customers real nice 914 he wanted to sell quick to the local 914 guru, (note to DaveP…it’s not Mike it’s the other one) struck a deal with him for $5000 plus an old shitbox VW type 3 Squareback for it ( I was to get the T3 for the deal) told the customer I sold the car. Everyone happy, right!?
Phone up the dude and he said Oh-nooooo…the deal was $2000 plus the shitbox…WTF!?!?!

Told him to fuch his hat.

Get this.... then the guy had the nerve to phone my guy (info from ownership I guess) and try to weasel a deal behind my back...my guy figured it out right away, didn't like it and phoned me said he'd burn it first.

I bought the 914 ($5,000) and the next week had it appraised for insurance at $11,000

Next time he saw me he says “I though you didn’t want a 914” (told only because I “thought” the wife wouldn’t let me have it, another story)…I just shrugged and said I got it cheap, one of the best deals I’ve ever made and I’m keeping it.
scotty b
Devils advocate here

I was selling a 924 a few years ago. Lots of mods done. Twas a GOOD 924 lots of people stopping by, B.S.'ing talking it up etc. One kid stops by, flipping out, has to have the car, takes it down the road, gets back and makes a call right in front of me to ask his brother could he borrow the money. Gets off the phone, begs me to not sell it within the next hour ( I already had someone coming ) Tells me he'll be back in 30-45 minutes with cash. Jumps in his P.O.S. Supra and floors it back the way he came.

I never see or hear from the dickbag again. Long story short first with the money gets it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.